Code of Conduct

Thread: Idole de Lubin

Default Idole de Lubin

Got my sample of this magnificent perfume today. For fans of Olivia Giacobetti, this has got to be one of her best creations. No fleetingly light scent here. This one packs a powerful woody and spicy punch. She has breathed new life into the old perfume company of Lubin.

It's suitable for both men and women.

Top Notes: rum absolute, saffron, bitter orange peel and black cumin.

Mid Notes: doum palm, smoked ebony and sugar cane.

Base Notes: leather and red sandalwood.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Default Re: Idole de Lubin

I really appreciated your take on this scent. I recently read a review of this stuff on Bois de Jasmin (Nov., 25), which sounded pretty promising. Here's the link:

http://boisdejasmin.typepad.com/_/20..._revie_17.html

I was unsure how hard to hunt for it, however, because the review made it sound like it was pretty sweet, even while claiming that men could wear it. I see that you agree about its suitability for both sexes but do you mind if I ask: Exactly how sweet is this stuff? How daring would your average guy have to be to wear this juice out in public? I fear I have no experience with the two fragrances the BdJ review compared it to in this regard.

Prof S. I read the BdJ review of it, that's what prompted me to contact Gilles at Lubin.

The sweetness in it isn't 'floral sweetness' at all so it doesn't smell feminine. The sweetness derives from sweet spices and woods. I would say that it's very wearable by a man. The lasting power of it is magnificent too. I had some on my hand when I went to bed last and this morning when I got up, I could still smell it.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

PB:

O.K., now I'm definitely intrigued. By any chance, did you obtain your sample of Idole by emailing the address provided in the Contact section of their website. If so, I cannot believe that I would be the only Basenoter to follow your example and shoot them some email begging for a sample.

S.S.

How would one acquire this in the US?

Prof, yes I sent an email to the company. Since then, I have got quite friendly with Gilles Thevenin who is the new owner of Parfum Lubin. He's told me that since the review appeared on Bois de Jasmin, he has been inundated with requests for samples from all over the world. At the moment they are only a small set up so sending the samples out is going to be a bit slow.

Baron, there are no distributors in USA at the moment and I know that one of the stockists in Paris (there are only 2), L'Ecclairer will not post out scents. They have other stockists in Switzerland and Romania. Italy will soon have stockists and talks are going on for a stockist in the UK.

Barry

Roja Dove

Really interesting thread, Prince B.

What really intrigues me here is how a relatively obscure fragrance firm (no disrespect to Lubin) manages to get its hands on Olivia Giacobetti's proboscis. Olivia G must be one of the hotter noses around at present when it comes to fragrance designers, and I can't imagine that her services would come cheap. Sounds like quite a coup for the new owner of Lubin.

Whatever the background, I can't wait to try the new scent.

Thanks Verve!

I know that Olivia creates for Iunx, so there might be a connection there. Perhaps he friend;y with the people there.

He is working with one of Lubin's perfumers from the 1950s too, so exciting things could be coming up.

Barry

Roja Dove

I also requested a sample after the BdJ review came out. *I look forward to testing this one.

Let us know what you think about it whitebar when it arrives.

Barry

Roja Dove

Any updates about this fragrance? Thanks!

My sample hasn't arrived yet.

My sample of Idole De Lubin arrived this past week, and today I'm getting my first chance at a full wearing. What an interesting scent! It strikes me as smelling approximately like CdG EDP after six or so hours. It could also be viewed as positioned at the intersection of Gucci PH and CdG Seqouia. The cumin is noticeable, as is the rum absolute, bitter orange, and saffron. The overall effect is one of delightful spicy woods. Despite the sugar cane, Idole de Lubin is not very sweet, nor is it very dry. It strikes me as very elegant, artfully blended, and of excellent quality. I haven't worn it long enough to comment on longevity, but at 2 1/2 hours it is still going strong. I am very curious to learn of other Basenoters' impressions of this scent.

From the sample packaging:

Top Notes: rum absolute, saffron, bitter orange peels and black cumin

Middle Notes: doum plum, smoked ebony and sugar cane

Base Notes: leather and red sandalwood

Jeff

I found it deliciously boozy - it's a fruitier version of Costes, with a nod towards the tropics rather than soapy incense. I'm definitely getting a bottle of this. It became my discovery of 2005 when my smaple arrived in late December. Beautiful. Might be overtaken by the Parfumerie Generale samples though... who knows.

Glad it's being appreciated by those who have managed to try it.

No news on distributers in the UK or USA yet.

Leopoldo, I must get my act together and order the sample kit from Parfumerie Generale seeing as I raved about how good they looked.

Barry

Roja Dove

The composition sounds delicious, I have been enchanted by every single scent, created by Olivia Giacobetti, that I have tried so far!
    On a side note: for some reason, every time I see this fragrance mentioned I misread the name as Indole de Lubin. That doesn´t sound so tempting.

Update on the longevity issue... After 10 hours yesterday, Idole De Lubin remained noticeable on my pulse points and the back of my wrist. Therefore, I would rate this scent's lasting power as excellent on my skin!

Jeff

Vinterdroppe, quite a few people have mentioned that they think it says 'Indole'.

The actual cap of the bottle is fashioned in the style of an African style mask of an idol, hence the Idole. You might have known that already..tee hee.

Roja Dove

WOW, I'm so enthused to try it now. I was called up to receive a free tester of it three weeks ago and I still haven't considered going to take it. I have a lotta literature about it and the history of its makers, too. I should read those things...

I just received my sample this morning and am now giving it a full test run. It's been four hours and I am enjoying it so far. I appreciate Olivia Giacobetti's scents but have never come across one that connected. Until now, that is...Of course, the fact that it is unavailable anywhere in London only adds to the desirability. Is grass truly greener on the other side?

On me, it has stayed consistently leather-y, and the top notes, which I liked, set the mood of the fragrance. I don't find it particularly sweet, more leather on woods. This is what I hoped Dzing! would be on me, rather than cardboard and plums. The man was very nice via e-mail when I requested the sample, so here's hoping it arrives in London soon...as I have been searching for a leather scent of my own!

Idole de Lubin is now available for pre-order at lusciouscargo and luckyscent. I still have not received a sample so I just broke down and placed a pre-order. I know I'll really like this based on everything I have read about it and the bottle alone is almost worth the price. I guess if I really hate it then I'll be the first to post a bottle of Idole in the swap & sell your stuff section. ;D ;D

For those interested, it is supposed to ship in late January. I can't wait!

I'm extremely disappointed in IdL. The scent itself is enamoring but it has ZERO sillage on me. I spray and I spary and I just won't smell it unless I bring my nose to my wrists or the fabric, where I sprayed it.

Just ordered this bad-boy....All this talk has gotten me excited to try this one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry
    Prof, yes I sent an email to the company. Since then, I have got quite friendly with Gilles Thevenin who is the new owner of Parfum Lubin.
    Barry

Whoa. *I had a French businessman here at my bar in St Louis last night by the name of G. Thevenin! *I don't think his first name was Gilles, but I'm positive that it started with a G. *Maybe its his brother. *This guy comes in every few months. Hmmm...Things that make you go Hmmm... If I see this guy again, I'll have to try to figure out a way to see if there's a connection. *He's kind of squirrely so it might be like pulling teeth. *Oh, the French... (no offense to any Frenchmen on here!)

on a side note I also thought this scent was called Indole. *I was like why do these people want a crap based scent? *

"Throw me the Idole, I'll throw you the whip"

I´m a bit confused with this topic. I have a bottle of the pure perfume Idole de Lubin and it´s ancient.
    Yet in the directory it´s not listed under Lubins classics. It obviously was one of their earlier perfumes though.
    Is this a re-launch of the classic ? and if so how altered is it ???!!!
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

David,

This is a whole new fragrance that is taking the name of the old Lubin fragrance from the 1960s. More information can be found in this review on the Bois de Jasmin blog.

http://boisdejasmin.typepad.com/_/20..._revie_17.html

Oh man, another fragrance to wish for. This one sounds really nice. I was just reading the press at Luckyscent before this post appeared, so maybe it's just fated that I at least spring for the sample.
    For US customers it is available at:
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...&section=1

I hear Luckyscent overcharges for international shipping, so be warned those of you in other areas.

Thanks for the reviews y'all.
    Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins
    I hear Luckyscent overcharges for international shipping, so be warned those of you in other areas.

Slim
    Not anymore
    The remedied that ailing part.

I just received word from lusciouscargo that my bottle of Idole de Lubin was shipped to me today. I can't wait for it to arrive! So, anyone looking for this in the U.S. will find the wait is over.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins
    For US customers it is available at:
    For the Europeans here:
    Germany-based www.first-in-fragrance.com carries it, too!

and I might well place an order today...

My bottle arrived and I wore this for the first time today. Wonderful bitter orange and rum in the top notes, then it shifts to a lightly smoky incense and then it shifts again to a nice woody dry down so I'm impressed with the development. I noticed whifs of the scent on myself several times today but it is not so strong as to make you stand out, especially once it dries down. I'm happy with my purchase and look forward to spending more time with this one.

I'm under that voodoo spell too and ordered a bottle , must be that creepy looking bottle.
    By the way, I mailed them with the question (I still have that thing with wearin womens fragrances, sorry..) if it was a mens or a womens perfume. Ofcourse as a regular Basenote member I had to know that the answer was predictable. (shame on me).

This is what they said:

" Dear Eric,

the first Idole was actually made for men, since we have a female version as well, that should launch in a few months. But then we realized that many women would buy Idole as well for themselves.
    So I don't think we should reduce it to the man/ woman question. Apart from some very flowery, or oriental powdery perfumes, who are
    more dedicated to ladies, most perfumes can be wore by both
    genders.The perfumers of the old times didn't have that kind of prejudice"

So, there you go.

By the way, I love that wonderfull website:http://www.parfum-lubin.fr/

I got my bottle today and am impressed...it is a very nice boozy scent...(like others have said) I've only had it on 2 hrs so a full days worth of thoughts are not here....Also, the two samples I'm wearing on each thumb may be corrupting my though process. Molecule 01, Escentric 01...these are both really nice and wear close to the skin....very comforting scents....VERY.

Quote Originally Posted by rjrober22
    I got my bottle today and am impressed...it is a very nice boozy scent...(like others have said) I've only had it on 2 hrs so a full days worth of thoughts are not here....Also, the two samples I'm wearing on each thumb may be corrupting my though process. Molecule 01, Escentric 01...these are both really nice and wear close to the skin....very comforting scents....VERY.
    Several people have said this is a boozy scent, does it compare to Le Dandy in any way?
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

It's a much darker and deeper scent than Le Dandy.

Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry
    It's a much darker and deeper scent than Le Dandy.

Agreed....I feel that Le Dandy is a Fresher/Cleaner yet boozy scent

I received my bottle yesterday as well (from Luckyscent) and I do agree that it's a very nice "boozy" scent. I'm not crazy about LeDandy so thankfully Idole is nothing like that. I'm not much of a hard liquor drinker but after first spray, it definitely reminded me of smelling some kind of booze (maybe rum or whiskey?)

I love the scent but I do have one concern with it. I can usually tell if a scent has good sillage and longevity by the "back of the hand" test. So yesterday when I received it, the spray on the back of my hand was very faint after about half an hour. That's usually how I gauge how much I will put on for a full day's wearing. So today, it was my SOTD and I decided to go heavy. I must have very "cardboard" like porous skin because many frags don't last on me. So I sprayed 10 times on the inside of my undershirt, 5 times on each cheek, and 10 on my throat area. Then, 3 on my work shirt. A total of 33 sprays and by 9 AM (I go in at 6 AM), I could barely smell anything. Usually, the sprays on my exposed skin fade fast anyway, but the sprays on the inside of my undershirt usually last long enough to carry me through the day and give me good sillage (from my bodyheat). But this was also very faint in the late morning ... something no other frag has done on me.

I'm sure this is not typical of the average user of this frag. In lieu of the recent thread about people posting hasty reviews, this is just one person's opinion and experience with Idole ... be it only 2 days. But in my opinion, I would definitely "sample before you buy" this frag if you have longevity problems with fragrance in general. Especially at the "not so cheap" price tag ($85-$90).

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    A total of 33 sprays
    ... 33... are you serious? Are you sure your olfactory receptors just weren't plugged up so bad that you couldn't smell it?

I must have very "cardboard" like porous skin because many frags don't last on me. So I sprayed 10 times on the inside of my undershirt, 5 times on each cheek, and 10 on my throat area. Then, 3 on my work shirt. A total of 33 sprays and by 9 AM (I go in at 6 AM), I could barely smell anything. Usually, the sprays on my exposed skin fade fast anyway, but the sprays on the inside of my undershirt usually last long enough to carry me through the day and give me good sillage (from my bodyheat). But this was also very faint in the late morning ... something no other frag has done on me.
    I suspect the people around you found it less difficult to detect =x
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades
    [quote author=ziffy321 link=1133467958/30#37 date=1138325645]A total of 33 sprays
    ... 33... are you serious? Are you sure your olfactory receptors just weren't plugged up so bad that you couldn't smell it?[/quote]

Lol ... maybe I don't have em ...

No, I know it didn't last on me because I have a few women I always take lunch with and both of them asked me if I didn't wear anything that day. *It was only after I pulled out the collar on my shirt and tie that they were able to smell it. *And only faintly at that ...

[quote author=myaccolades link=1133467958/30#38 date=1138336378][quote author=ziffy321 link=1133467958/30#37 date=1138325645]A total of 33 sprays
    ... 33... are you serious? Are you sure your olfactory receptors just weren't plugged up so bad that you couldn't smell it?[/quote]

Lol ... maybe I don't have em ...

No, I know it didn't last on me because I have a few women I always take lunch with and both of them asked me if I didn't wear anything that day. It was only after I pulled out the collar on my shirt and tie that they were able to smell it. And only faintly at that ...[/quote]
    That settles it for me! Good to hear, though. And I will try the 'back of my hand test', to see if that works for me also. I seem to have similar problems with certain fragrances as you have, ziffy.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

In contrast, I very rarely get comments but four sprays of Idole had me getting them all day yesterday - people love this scent - understandably.

I'm not impressed...sweaty skin, not in a good way.

I sampled this one in West Hollyweird yesterday (Luckyscent's scent bar). Pretty good, definitely masculine enough for the guys.

I would wear it, but I didn't get it because I blew my fragrance budget for the month at Barney's.(and next month's on ebay) :'(

My boyfriend only wears women's perfume, especially rose scents, so this wasn't for him. He announced it was "okay." I thought the sillage was fine, it was actually pretty strong. It lasted on the back of my hard for 6+ hours.

However, I probably should have bought a few bottles, since they are listed on ebay for over $100, it is only $85 at scent bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Vavoom
    I'm extremely disappointed in IdL. The scent itself is enamoring but it has ZERO sillage on me. I spray and I spary and I just won't smell it unless I bring my nose to my wrists or the fabric, where I sprayed it.

Ditto. Honestly, I can barely smell it. I'm amazed that it's so powerful on some people's skin.

So far I have only given this one a quick wrist test but must give it a full test drive soon. Boozy, spicy and exotic were my first impressions but I want to get a more complete picture.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Ballardbeau
    [quote author=Killer Vavoom link=1133467958/15#21 date=1137395173]I'm extremely disappointed in IdL. The scent itself is enamoring but it has ZERO sillage on me. I spray and I spary and I just won't smell it unless I bring my nose to my wrists or the fabric, where I sprayed it.
    Ditto. Honestly, I can barely smell it. I'm amazed that it's so powerful on some people's skin. [/quote]

I'm not surprised by either of your reactions to this. *I have yet to encounter a Giacobetti creation that's not creative, engaging, unique... and that doesn't vanish in under thirty minutes. *She's easily the most intellectual and refined perfumer working today, and her compostions are always lovely, but I often don't feel she makes scents that are practical. *When I tested Costes, En Passant, Dzing!, Hiris, Préparation Parfumée - they all just flew off. *It's like she forgets these juices are to be worn on the skin.

Still, I do sincerely hope Idole is an exception to that rule. I would love a Giacobetti scent to call my own.

Quote Originally Posted by david
    I´m a bit confused with this topic. I have a bottle of the pure perfume Idole de Lubin and it´s ancient.
    Yet in the directory it´s not listed under Lubins classics. It obviously was one of their earlier perfumes though.
    Is this a re-launch of the classic ? and if so how altered is it ???!!!

Oh My......Vintage scents always intrigue me........Please do tell what does your Vinatge or classic Lubin parfum smell like. I have a vintage bottle of Lubin EDC and I adore it.........lavender, civiet, bitter orange with an amber vanillic dry down.......what does your parfum smell like????? dying to know

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    [quote author=Ballardbeau link=1133467958/45#45 date=1140298052][quote author=Killer Vavoom link=1133467958/15#21 date=1137395173]I'm extremely disappointed in IdL. The scent itself is enamoring but it has ZERO sillage on me. I spray and I spary and I just won't smell it unless I bring my nose to my wrists or the fabric, where I sprayed it.
    Ditto. Honestly, I can barely smell it. I'm amazed that it's so powerful on some people's skin. [/quote]

I'm not surprised by either of your reactions to this. I have yet to encounter a Giacobetti creation that's not creative, engaging, unique... and that doesn't vanish in under thirty minutes. She's easily the most intellectual and refined perfumer working today, and her compostions are always lovely, but I often don't feel she makes scents that are practical. When I tested Costes, En Passant, Dzing!, Hiris, Préparation Parfumée - they all just flew off. It's like she forgets these juices are to be worn on the skin.

Still, I do sincerely hope Idole is an exception to that rule. I would love a Giacobetti scent to call my own.[/quote]

I've had the same experience, though I haven't tried all of those scents. The one exception is Tea for Two, which lasts as well as anything I own.

Still, I'm looking forward to trying Idole.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by baron
    I've had the same experience, though I haven't tried all of those scents. The one exception is Tea for Two, which lasts as well as anything I own.
    Did she do Tea for Two as well? I'd better change that to "her compositions are almost always lovely." :P

I have been wearing this almost daily to work cause it's very differend but at the same time very wearable for such an occasion. At first I thought it was a fleeting scent also, but I was wrong. The boozy,"rum like" are indeed very fleeting , but after that , the smokey,sweet "sugar cane" note lingers on my skin all day. If I spritz it on in the morning I can still smell it when I go home in the evening. Very close to the skin though, but it's there. Sometimes I don't smell it anymore, but during work I keep on getting subtle whifs of it. It's a very nice comforting ,skin scent to me. Not loud and in your face, but very subtle. But I can see why some people would like this scent to have more body. It's a very simple scent, just rum, sugar cane and smoky notes. I'm glad the "rumlike" alochol notes fade so fast, cause otherwise I had to explain at work why I smelled of booze all day.

Lucky Scent (www.luckyscent.com) carries this fragrance -- and offers samples, too.

Lefay

I loved the sample. It seemed like delicious spice with the bitter orange peeling soaring above it. Wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom
    Ditto. Very disappointing, particularly for the price.

I'm bumping up this thread as I would like to know more about this since its been awhile. I have never been more intrigued by a fragrance or tempted to buy it blind. (As others have noted, even for the bottle it may be worth it?) The discussion on sillage is intriguing to me as to how it could be so different on so many different people? This is boozy, but not overpowering, vanishes instantly or stays on overnight... dark and forboding...but not too much... and office friendly. Color me <intrigued></instrigued>!!!!

I wonder if I will get through the day without ordering a bottle blind?

All I can sy is DONNA KARAN CHAOS!!!! yes its D/C ....
    but Idole is basically DK Chaos & I like Chaos better its just so frickin expensive since its no longer made.

Idole de Lubin is one I tested several times. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine fragrance, better than most, but to me it was always (slightly) too sweet. Once I sampled it side by side with Padparadscha and Padparadscha was much more refined to me and not as sweet as Idole, but I will sample again ....
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon