Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gentlemen by Givenchy--new-to-me

I just got my first blind bottle of GG from Dave in a swap. *It blows me away . *What a great scent and it's longevity(8 hours+ ) is the best of my Wardrobe.

Has anyone else noticed its similarity to Le Dandy?

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Gentlemen by Givenchy--new-to-me

I see a Le Dandyism in its potency and how much its got going on. Its a real Ka-Pow-Sock civet-city kinda frag, sure to appeal to guys who like 'em loud and proud (SixCats, PM, Kouos-lovers the world over - among whose ranks I know you ocunt yourself Lightningrod). It's an oddly named frag, IMO, "Gentleman" makes me think of Guerlain and Cartier, this stuff is way too animalistic for such genttel name.

Its a perfectly adorable fragrance. I can't however smell the 'animalistic' thing going for it. Patchouli, and a unique drydown makes it very appealing for me . I agree, it lasts very long and is quite 'smooth'.

I've not heard of Le Dandy though, I have Open (Roger and Gallet), which is a very different fragrance, and quite 'gentlemanly' infact.

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff--patchouli and civet. I think it does smell like a gentleman because I've smelled it on many of the classy men I've met in the past thirty years. I think it's similar to Le Dandy in impact and refinement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AK3D
    Its a perfectly adorable fragrance. I can't however smell the 'animalistic' thing going for it. Patchouli, and a unique drydown makes it very appealing for me . I agree, it lasts very long and is quite 'smooth'.

I've not heard of Le Dandy though, I have Open (Roger and Gallet), which is a very different fragrance, and quite 'gentlemanly' infact.
    Le Dandy

Joel: You've got my 'number'

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [/URL]

[blue]I count *Givenchy Gentleman* in my top ten fragrances of all time, and if I was really pushed hard to come up with a top five, it would be in my top five for sure.

I wore it in my late teens, early twenties a hell of a lot, and would wear it more often if only I lived in a place that had some cooler weather every now and then.

I'm very glad you've discovered this true classic Dan.

Regards,

scentemental[/blue]

Post Thanks / Like

You inspired me to wear this one today. I wore this while on my honeymoon in France, and it reminds me of Paris, Champagne and Burgundy. I'm transported back there as I type. What an incredible little organ the amygdala is.

And the fragrance... well, I think I'm a bit hard on GG. I only rate it three stars, don't wear it too often (too scared of others perceptions?) but boy, when I put it on, it smells so bloody good! And unquestionably masculine!

Ged

Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Post Thanks / Like

I just recently purchased Givenchy Gentleman. The packaging has changed. Somehow the fragrance seem to have changed as well. The earlier Givenchy Gentleman smelled better than the newer ones. Am I the only one who's noticed this?
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene
    I just recently purchased Givenchy Gentleman. *The packaging has changed. *Somehow the fragrance seem to have changed as well. *The earlier Givenchy Gentleman smelled better than the newer ones. *Am I the only one who's noticed this?
    They changed the packaging 2 years ago, even the shape of the bottle has changed, but to my nose they scent was the same.

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

i've got them both and imo they are quite different in how they smell but both are old school very masculine classics with enough zip in them for the younger basenoters to seek out when they want to smell a little different to their peers.

I tested this one yesterday for the first time and liked it a lot. I found it a bit dated, but maybe it was because I was trying Gucci PH on my other hand and that is a very tough contender. I liked especially the leather notes ("Cuir de Russie" read the label). I don't remember any resemblance to Le Dandy though, but I can understand the comparison, both are classy scents indeed.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Post Thanks / Like

Y'all are the best . I'm a late-comer but I do enjoy its 'newness'...to me. Thanks again Dave for initiating the swap. I hope the Tam Dao has reached you by now .

Dan

[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Done a complete 180 on this one myself. I now really enjoy the earthiness of the patchouli that is so well balanced with the other stuff in there. Very classic, powerful and masculine - good stuff.

On a sidenote there is an EDT by Luciano Pavarotti that smells 99% the same, got it extremely cheap as well, probably discontinued.

MMM

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    Y'all are the best . *I'm a late-comer but I do enjoy its 'newness'...to me. *Thanks again Dave for initiating the swap. *I hope the Tam Dao has reached you by now .

Dan
    Package arrived in great shape Dan, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I used to own this but I did a 180 *the other way. *Guess it was the patchouli, * I thought I was having LSD flashbacks to Woodstock and The Summer of Love. *

It is unquestionably an admirably made frag, *though. *

( If memory serves, *I believe reading somehwere that the house of Givenchy cosidered it its best ) *

It's also strangely versatile. *While largely ignored by the 'youth-casual' market and considered an Alpha male's formal evening scent, *it's qute popular with women as well. * Check out the female fragrance forum. * I can't see the ladies pulling off Vintage Tabarome, *but I can envision them pulling this one off with panache quite easily.

If you haven't sampled this one, *it's really worth a try.

Ah well, *I got tired of Cerruti 1881 and Duc de Vervins, *too.

Mario, *The incredibly jaded. *8-)

My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani
    It's also strangely versatile. *While largely ignored by the 'youth-casual' market and considered an Alpha male's formal evening scent, *it's qute popular with women as well. * Check out the female fragrance forum. * I can't see the ladies pulling off Vintage Tabarome, *but I can envision them pulling this one off with panache quite easily.
    I've posted this before, but it is worth repeating, coming from someone\
    who didn't stand to gain anything by her comment, since the store wasn't selling it:

I remember shopping at Nordstrom once when a woman whom
    I think was a sales rep for some fragrance line was there answering
    questions. If I remember correctly she may have been promoting
    Cartier fragrances. Anyway, we got to talking a bit and she mentioned
    that the most incredible men's fragrance she had smelled was one that
    they didn't even have for sale there at Nordstrom: Givenchy Gentleman.

trumpet_guy

You're preaching to the choir: I really like the slightly-cinnamon scent in it, and it's been one of my very favorites for years.
    Updated Favorites:

Spicebomb * Viktor & Rolf

CK One Shock * Calvin Klein

Fields Of Rubus * Kerosene

Midnight Pomegranate * Bath & Body Works