Code of Conduct

Default Bought a bottle of BASALA...

Hey I've just bought a 50ml bottle of Basala by Shiseido after I read some positive reviews on this one.

I am wearing it for like 2 hour now.
    The impression I first sprayed on was something like... :-/ Very strange... I am not saying that disliked it, but I simply couldn't understand why people are praising it so much. It had MUCH spices in it! May be just too much for my taste. I dunno why but something in it reminds me of Allure Homme by Channel. I dunno what's the ingredient that made it resemble to Allure... I am not an expert of "notes", but it could be the pepper. Yeah I can detect a lot of pepper and a little bit of vetiver.
    But as time passes by, the scent changes to something more subtle and mysterious, I would say very "woody" and oriental. And it's LOVELY. It's a pretty strong and long-lasting fragrance which requires very few sprays.
    It has some freshness in it. It's NOT sweet at all, so I think it's very good for summer too, maybe in the evening, or during the day, but with fewer sprays.

So to sum up, I am giving this a pretty high rating because its quality is extremely good, it's strong and long-lasting yet not sweet so it's good for all seasons. Plus it's not something everyone has.
    I got it for 32 euro for 50ml at the Shiseido booth at a big commercial center here in Milano. But it's only when I got home that I found out that it doesn't have an atomizer... no problem, I have many cool small travel atomizer here so I can use one for this beautiful Basala and keep if in my bag.

ps: but my favorite ones remain Live Jazz and Bvlgari Black for now.

--------------------------------------------------

Ok, I am adding this after a while that I've been wearing it... OH MY GOD the sandalwood is standing out so much! It's becoming so potent and mysterious. It's amazing that this fragrance has a SO drastic change over time.
    Love it love it!

Default Re: Bought a bottle of BASALA...

I`ve been interested in this for a long time. Can you tell me any comparisons, anyone??

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Murderer
    I`ve been interested in this for a long time. Can you tell me any comparisons, anyone??
    Unfortunately I can't make many comparisons with more other fragrances because I don't own 100 colognes...
    But, among what I have, it resembles Allure Homme. But it's NOT as "sweet" and "warm". MUCH(I mean MUCH) sandalwood in the drydown.
    It's one of the most "complex" cologne I've ever worn, because the top notes are almost fresh and citrus, and the drydown it's very woody, not sweet at all, it's almost "bitter". I dunno how to describe it, because of its complexity. But I am LOVING it and planning to use it even in the summer.
    I think it's a very "natural" cologne, doesn't smell synthetic at all. Smells very "expensive", like something in the Serge Lutens line. Although it's not expensive at all.
    But you should use it like an eau de parfum, since it's very potent. Just 3 sprays not more, if you don't want to smell like some boring tasteless aged ladies. ;D

ps: oh, I have to put a sticker on my little travel atomizer saying it's BASALA in it and it's very potent, before someone pass by and use it from head to foot, like if it was CK One... then go around committing some olfactory homicide. ;D
    Two words for BASALA: LOVE IT.

That's weird - no atomiser - mine sure has one. Are you sure it's the EDT and not the aftershave splash?

Rather than smelling "oriental", it smells Japanese to me - something to do with the accords.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    That's weird - no atomiser - mine sure has one. Are you sure it's the EDT and not the aftershave splash?

Rather than smelling "oriental", it smells Japanese to me - something to do with the accords.
    Renato

Oh my GOD! WTF!?!?!?

Glad you told me... let me check now!!!

pffffeeew... thank god it says Eau De Toilet.
    Otherwise I will be killing the saleslady tomorrow! ;D

Anyway, thank you Renato.
    But I have no problem with this issue. I was a little bit upset after I found it out, but then I thought, "why the hell I have so many cool small atomizers? Hey! now it's time to use one!" ;D
    So for this beautiful fragrance, I've chosen this beautiful silver color atomizer, it's like a lipstick, once I've filled the inner glass tube, I just insert it in the silver colored metal stick and put the cap and you can't see the juice inside!

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    At least as BASARA it is sold as "eau de toilette natural spray vaporisateur" and also as non-spray edition.
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

neobeauty sells empty virgin 1/4 oz atomizers <like the one you described in silver> on sale for like 2.50 ...here's the link...i bought 5 of em and they are slick!!!!

http://neobeauty.com/shbaat.html

just went to check and they arent on sale any more but are way cool...has text on it too in small silver letters
    at least the ones i received did..

sobranie

Quote Originally Posted by Musician
    [quote author=Renato link=1145141854/0#3 date=1145149572]That's weird - no atomiser - mine sure has one. Are you sure it's the EDT and not the aftershave splash?

Renato

Oh my GOD! WTF!?!?!?

Glad you told me... let me check now!!!

pffffeeew... thank god it says Eau De Toilet.
    Otherwise I will be killing the saleslady tomorrow! *;D

Anyway, thank you Renato.
    But I have no problem with this issue. I was a little bit upset after I found it out, but then I thought, "why the hell I have so many cool small atomizers? Hey! now it's time to use one!" *;D
    So for this beautiful fragrance, I've chosen this beautiful silver color atomizer, it's like a lipstick, once I've filled the inner glass tube, I just insert it in the silver colored metal stick and put the cap and you can't see the juice inside! [/quote]
    Yes, I've been caught out a few times with splash bottles too. Atomisers are really handy. I also use some for my favourite aftershave splashes.
    Renato

It smells like a smoky version of Heritage to me. Definitely not bad but it is nothing special either.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Quote Originally Posted by phantagarow
    It smells like a smoky version of Heritage to me. Definitely not bad but it is nothing special either.
    If Basala ain't special then NOTHING is!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl

If Basala ain't special then NOTHING is!
    Ditto.
    Renato

Yeah right, this is VERY special.
    Special doesn't necessarily mean "weird" or "odd".

You won't know it untill you actually WEAR it.
    And for wearing it I mean put it on in the morning, go out to work, then come back in the evening.
    You will find that it developes a LOT on you. It's one of the richest scent I've ever smelt.
    With certain colognes you just can't spray from the tester in the shop and say "ah this is good... nah that is not good etc.."

I own a bottle and wore it at least for a week. The verdict is (of course all subjective):

It smells a great deal like Heritage + smoke.

Well, after all I am one of the few who dislike BdP 8-)

I've had both spray and splash bottles of Basala. It's a very dry, woody chypre with hints of leather and aromatic top notes. A bit too macho for me. *:-* Heritage is much sweeter in comparison in my opinion.

Damn, I`m going grazy here as I`m thinking should I buy this blind. Should I?? It`s rather expensive... :-/

Does it have anything in common with Michael for Men?? Closer to Bel Ami, perhaps??

Btw, it`s almost ridicilous how good support line Basala has! Or what do you think about this:

LOL!

Damn, I`m going grazy here as I`m thinking should I buy this blind. Should I?? It`s rather expensive... :-/

Does it have anything in common with Michael for Men??

Btw, it`s almost ridicilous how good support line Basala has! Or what do you think about this:

LOL!
    It's 43 Euros for a 100ml bottle at Strawberrynet, which isn't that cheap, but not overly expensive, I would have thought.
    http://www.strawberrynet.com/mfrag.a...9&goChar=S
    Shame they don't have the 50ml bottles on sale like when I bought it.
    Renato

Does it have anything in common with Michael for Men?? Closer to Bel Ami, perhaps??

LOL!
    It doesn't have much in common with Michael for Men, I dunno with "Bel Ami".

But HEY you SMELL IT FIRST BEFORE YOU BUY! I don't want you to hate me if you don't like it! :P

I happened to like it because... ... I like it. I dunno why, it's a very particular scent that I happened to like at first sniff and to like throughout the drydown.

Hi all,

I just recieved a wonderful decant of basala the other day from sobranie. By the way thanks again Mr. S.
    I like it. It is smokey but I found it to be quite sweet as well. Some have said there is Lavender in there but I can't detect it. I smell some vanilla. Normally I don't like vanilla much but if its there. And I could be mistaken it seems to work quite well in this composition. I don't mind it all all in this juice. I am not posative but I think I detect an undercurrent of ambergris way down there in the basenotes. It doesn't seem to last on me but I am more than willing to put up with that because I like it quite well. The smokiness is not really a wood smoke to me it is more on the order of smouldering inscence. Anyway that is my take on it. Normally I don't care for alot of sweetness but this works. It seems intoxicating to me.

Rick/docpsycho
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Quote Originally Posted by Musician
    [quote author=Pigeon Murderer link=1145141854/0#14 date=1145685466]Damn, I`m going grazy here as I`m thinking should I buy this blind. Should I?? It`s rather expensive... :-/

LOL!

But HEY you SMELL IT FIRST BEFORE YOU BUY! I don't want you to hate me if you don't like it! :P

I happened to like it because... ... I like it. I dunno why, it's a very particular scent that I happened to like at first sniff and to like throughout the drydown.

[/quote]

Unfortunetly, I don`t have a chance to test this before-buy. I`m still thinking should I order this.
    I find it quite disturbing/intriguing that you guys can`t actually tell any similarities...Is it THAT unique? Really??!

This is one damn appealing scent!

[quote author=Musician link=1145141854/15#16 date=1145709004][quote author=Pigeon Murderer link=1145141854/0#14 date=1145685466]Damn, I`m going grazy here as I`m thinking should I buy this blind. Should I?? It`s rather expensive... :-/

LOL!

I happened to like it because... ... I like it. I dunno why, it's a very particular scent that I happened to like at first sniff and to like throughout the drydown. *

[/quote]

Unfortunetly, I don`t have a chance to test this before-buy. I`m still thinking should I order this.
    I find it quite disturbing/intriguing that you guys can`t actually tell any similarities...Is it THAT unique? Really??!

This is one damn appealing scent! [/quote]

This stuff is beautiful. Love at first sniff. Just received my mini last night. You want a comparison? M7 without the burning rubber. On the drydown, I get a tonka or ambergis note along with the very apparent sandalwood. Neither are listed in the note pyramid but it is the same intoxicating note I get in the drydown of SMW, GIT, *Himalaya, and Dune (much less in Dune, but present). I don't know which it is. The distinct note I'm referring to is supposedly ambergis in the Creeds, but I have read somewhere (possibly here) that some or all of the Creeds also contain tonka. Dune's pyramid lists tonka as a base note but no ambergis. Whatever the note is, I love it.

All of the reviews in the directory for this juice fit. It's very dark, mysterious, yet incredibly beautiful. More suited for fall/winter though * *I'm going to have to wait for months before I can bless those around me with this gem.

~mad

P.S. I got the mini here http://www.parfumflacons.com

^^Mr. Mad, thank you for your comment. Very interesting. Basala like M7 without the burning rubber?? Hmm...I sure do get the rubber from M7, but still this sounds confusing. I mean, to me M7 is sweet scent even without the rubbery amber-agarwood combo, and Basala is well known to be very dry scent. And, M7 is far away from being Chypre - the definition that Basala has commonly. Yes indeed, Basala is so much said to be Chypre, and most definetely so.

Mad, thanks for the new shop link too: I`ve never heard of it before. I just wonder if they will ship to Finland...I hope so.

Basala I will have sometime in this year, there`s no doubt. This is too interesting fragrance to pass. It overwhelms me bit by bit...

I will repeat what Mr. Killer Vavoom wrote about Basala once..."Tongues of fire licking a totem of utter manhood."

Basala does smell like a crisp, smoky sexual fire on your skin. Hott!!! :-* [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

KO

I LOVE Basala, but I decided to get rid of it during the summer period. Well... maybe I will still wear it some evenings...
    The reason I am doing this, is simply because it's too strong for summer.
    I am not saying that it's "cloying" or anything at all. But for some reason, it smells like "expensive"... I dunno if you know what I am talking about. It's definitely not a "refreshing" fragrance. It's something very "classy", + long lasting. It always gives me the impression that you have to be well-dressed and all polite to match its "expensiveness", and this is not something I could do in the hot summer.

^^Mr. Mad, thank you for your comment. Very interesting. Basala like M7 without the burning rubber?? Hmm...I sure do get the rubber from M7, but still this sounds confusing. I mean, to me M7 is sweet scent even without the rubbery amber-agarwood combo, and Basala is well known to be very dry scent. And, M7 is far away from being Chypre - the definition that Basala has commonly. Yes indeed, Basala is so much said to be Chypre, and most definetely so.

Mad, thanks for the new shop link too: I`ve never heard of it before. I just wonder if they will ship to Finland...I hope so.

Basala I will have sometime in this year, there`s no doubt. This is too interesting fragrance to pass. It overwhelms me bit by bit...
    I hope my impression is not completely off or misleading to you. My nose is not that refined yet. Someone who can distiguish the notes much better than I may not agree with my comparison at all. Basala is definitely not as "sweet" as M7. In fact, I would not call Basala sweet at all. But I also would not consider it "very" dry. These are relative, abstract terms though. I just hope you like it

ParfumFlacons.com is in Europe. Do a search in the forum for "parfumflacons". You'll find several threads.

Basala to me smelled balsamic (like Fahrenheit) and herbally fresh

Not my cup of tea. Bought a bottle blind, sprayed it and traded it shortly after.

An odd fragrance, and not in a good way, to me. Too spicy, kinda "hot" and harsh but cold off-putting at the same time. I like scents that are warm and cozy and inviting--Visit, Cacharel (must be the nutmeg) and found this one a "get father away" more than a "come closer" scent.

I didn't think it smelled BAD by any means; it just wasn't "me." Smelled very "red." That whole fire/penis thing sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bram Tchaikovsky
    That whole fire/penis thing sums it up.
    You mean fire/vagina thing.

[quote author=Bram Tchaikovsky link=1145141854/15#25 date=1146204472] That whole fire/penis thing sums it up.
    [/quote]

;D ;D ;D

[quote author=Bram Tchaikovsky link=1145141854/15#25 date=1146204472] That whole fire/penis thing sums it up.
    [/quote]

Are you guys sure that you're not drinking it instead of spraying it. ;DI have no idea where this fire/genitelia thing is coming from... :-?