Code of Conduct

Default going to Sweden on business - anywhere to go?

Hi all,
    I know it's a long shot but...I'm headed to Malmo Sweden next week on a business trip. Anyone have any ideas on shops to check out? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: going to Sweden on business - anywhere to go?

Hi Robyogi ...............Get in touch with Monkeymanmatt, he is in Sweden.

When are you coming back ?

Will you be able to post from there ?

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Hey There!
    I live in Stockholm myself but my girlfriends parents live in the area and I fly to Malmö quite often. It is a lovely city and the third biggest in Sweden. Unfortunately there is no special fragrance shopping to speak of, just the standard department store stuff. I will however give you some recomendations on stuff to do:

David Design:
    Extremely cool design shop with everything from sofas to kitchen spices, friendly staff - a must visit.
    Details:
    David design, Skeppsbron 3, SE-211 21 Malmö
    T +46-(0)40-30 00 00, F +46-(0)40-30 00 50.
    malmo@daviddesign.se *www.daviddesign.se

Opening hours
    Monday–Friday 11am–6pm | Saturday 11am-3pm

Lilla Torg:
    A lovely square in the center of the city with strong danish influences, Skåne - the county where Malmö is located was under danish rule for centuries, restaurants and speciality shops - close to David Design as well. Check for instance out Mello Yello, a restaurant/bar with lot´s of nice single malts. The food hall at one of the squares corners is awesome as well with a great italian gelateria right at the entrance, probably the best italian ice cream available in Sweden.

Möllevången/Möllan:
    A cool area on the south side of the city. Sometimes unjustly accused of being rough and "unsafe" but this is absolutely not true. Lots ethnic food, I buy boxes of baklava here, and sympathetic little shops. Very much worth a visit.

If you do have the time you should take a cab, 10 minutes or so, to the real estate fair down by the waterline. This state of the art appartment/house exhibition is extremely cool. A huge area that was built to display the latest in houses and luxury appartments with a breathtaking view of the sea and the massive bridge over to Denmark. Here you can also watch the unique "skyscraper" Turning Torso by famous spanish architect Santiago Calatrava:

http://www.bouwenwonen.net/foto/news/050318-4.jpg

Hope you have a great visit, please tell me how it went.
    Best Regards,
    Matt

I ditto all of MonkeyManMatts recommendations. I spent a few days browsing through the perfume shops in Malmö this winter, but there really are nothing but the regular department store frags. And it's expensive!

Möllan is a great place.

good page to browse around:

http://www.malmo.se/

And check out Malmö Art museum, they have a great collection of swedish art mainly from the present day and from the early years of the 20th century.

Their english homepage:

http://www.malmo.se/kultur/malmokons...800075691.html

Good day everyone!

Since we are in this topic, may I know are there any perfume specialty shops in Gothenburg, because I'm heading there for a short holiday this coming summer.

Thanks a lot and have a good day!
    Wishlist is pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandair
    Good day everyone!

Since we are in this topic, may I know are there any perfume specialty shops in Gothenburg, because I'm heading there for a short holiday this coming summer.

Vinterdroppe here on Basenotes lives there, she might be able to help you. I know there is one she told me about carrying Diptyque scents, I guess that is at least worth something.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    [quote author=Vandair link=1145409269/0#4 date=1145449232]Good day everyone!

Vinterdroppe here on Basenotes lives there, she might be able to help you. I know there is one she told me about carrying Diptyque scents, I guess that is at least worth something.[/quote]

Thanks a lot shifts!
    Wishlist is pointless.

Thanks for the recommendations Matt and Geastrum! I have one full free day in the middle of two days of work, so I'll be sure to check those places out. I may also have to stop by a department store or two just to see if the stock is the same as here. I'm pretty excited, as it's my first trip out of the US.

Vijay - I arrive Monday and return Friday. I'm not sure if I will have access to the Internet while I am there, so I may have to live a week without Basenotes...could be tough but I'll survive.

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    Thanks for the recommendations Matt and Geastrum! *I have one full free day in the middle of two days of work, so I'll be sure to check those places out. *I may also have to stop by a department store or two just to see if the stock is the same as here. *I'm pretty excited, as it's my first trip out of the US. *

Vijay - I arrive Monday and return Friday. *I'm not sure if I will have access to the Internet while I am there, so I may have to live a week without Basenotes...could be tough but I'll survive. *
    Your first trip out of the US, I believe you must be excited about that. *Also Griff and Ballardbeau were looking for Patou Pour Homme. I cannot find that anywhere in the US. If you happen to see that grab a bottle each for them if you can please. Ballardbeau was also looking for Portos by Aramis.

Your Montale samples you requested, should be waiting for you when you get back *. *

Have fun and a safe trip.

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Robyogi-

also, you should pick up a couple bottles of m7 fresh while in sweden. word is that it flows like tap water over there. If its not your cup of tea, Im sure you'll make a couple swappers orgasmically happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    Robyogi-

also, you should pick up a couple bottles of m7 fresh while in sweden. word is that it flows like tap water over there. If its not your cup of tea, Im sure you'll make a couple swappers orgasmically happy.
    Flows like water? I've never seen it! Am I blind?

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep my eyes open. If I find Patou PH, I'm getting a bottle for myself too! M7 Fresh would be a wise pick up (if I see it). Good advice guys - thanks. Though I may now need to bring an extra suitcase...

I'm very excited to see some other parts of the world. I've also got a business trip to London in May. I think I am going to use that trip to pick up a bottle of Serge Lutens exclusive line (I called the Paris shoppe and they will ship it to the hotel in London). An exciting (and frankly busy - it is work after all!) month for me...

Thanks again for the samples Vijay!

Well, I am back from Sweden and figured I'd follow up with some random notes...

First, thanks again Matt and Geastrum for the recommendations. Turns out Matt and Geastrum were right about fragrance shopping in Malmo - not much to check out, mainly department stores with the usual stuff, and fairly steep prices. Still, lots of other stuff to do and see, with some beautiful waterfront sites.

Joel - no M7 Fresh to be found anywhere. Actually that's a lie. I found one 50ml bottle for roughly $45USD. Seemed a little steep to me.

Vijay - no luck on the Patou PH nor any on the Aramis Portos...and believe me I looked...duty free shops and all! I also got some odd looks when I asked for them.

The good news is I did finally get to test Rive Gauche, Givenchy Gentleman, and a bunch of others I'd been reading about on this site but could not find anywhere near me. Overall, the men's fragrance selection there seemed much broader than the typical department store selection here in the US.

It's also interesting to note how much more "active" store fragrance sections are in Sweden than here in the US. Seems I am often the only man looking at fragrances here, whereas there, the fragrance sections of the stores I visited were pretty busy, with quite a few other men shopping for fragrances, even at mid-day.

Matt - Lilla Torg is indeed a winner. And one square across from my hotel. We had a really nice dinner at an Italian restaurant there, as well as some Akvavit at Mello Yello, and some food at Moosehead (all on different days of course). Thanks for the tip.

I picked up a bottle of something called "Piratens Besk" to bring home (my office has a rule that we MUST bring back a bottle of liquor from every place we visit to add to our office bar). Apparently it is a bitter liquor made in Malmo and the name refers to a famous Swedish writer. It also turns out that it has wormwood in it, which I think is illegal here. So I am now an outlaw. Thank you Sweden!

One last note, to my American cohort: please, let's all do our best to dress better and match the style of the Swedish people - man are those guys stylish! Everyone seems dressed for a runway. It was the first thing I noticed: attractive, fit people, dressed like models.

I'm very happy to have had the chance to visit (though I still won't eat the pickled fish!).

Thanks for the update Rob, very interesting and glad that you had a safe and fun trip. Thanks for looking for Patou Pour homme and Portos. Let me know when you get the Amouage and Montale samples. I sent them out to you on Wednesday.

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"