Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 121 to 180 of 256
  1. #121

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    And now you have made a Swede learn a new word!

    Cooties!!! Cooties!!!

    Wanna learn it in swedish? Tjejbaciller!

  2. #122

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    What happened?
    How did that happen? *
    Renato
    I have no idea. I'm totally freaked out myself.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

  3. #123

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    [Don't forget, my question related to a first date situation, where you didn't know that the man possesses your husband's other fine qualities. He knocks at your door, presumably trying to make a good impression - and he's wearing a woman's soft, tender floral]


    If i knocked on a womans door to take her on a first date i seriously doubt she would have any idea i was wearing a female fragrance....even a "soft, tender floral". *Especially a manly, masculine kind of guy like me * ;D ;D ;D * And unless you are a fragrance nut like basenoters are, the layperson would NEVER EVER know. * Also, if she was offended somehow at the fact i was wearing a "womens scent" then it would offend me that she was offended then we would be both annoyed with each other and end the date early and never see each other again. *I will admit, though, that i do not tell dates or people in general that i wear womens scents. * Unfortunately, ridiculous assumptions would be made about me if i did. *On a more interesting note, my interest in Arpege is now piqued. *I will have to go and try it. *
    Awesomeguy

  4. #124

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Ciste 18 by Le Labo is marketed towards women....
    BUT
    It smells similar to Musc Ravageur...which is unisex...correct?
    It is all interpretation...Just because someone says its for women....another person will say...NO, its for men.
    It's open to debate....Just wear whatever you feel comfortable with.

  5. #125

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by rjrober22
    Ciste 18 by Le Labo is marketed towards women....
    BUT
    It smells similar to Musc Ravageur...which is unisex...correct?
    It is all interpretation...Just because someone says its for women....another person will say...NO, its for men.
    It's open to debate....Just wear whatever you feel comfortable with.
    No argument from me on that point.
    Renato



  6. #126

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Well, I'm still puzzled. Halfway through this discussion I asked a question to which I have not had a straight answer, despite all the numerous responses. I'll rephrase it as follows,

    Manufacturers and perfumers make scents clearly labelled as "For Men, Pour Homme, Uomo, Hombre etc" and other scents labelled "For women, Pour femme, Donna" or unlabelled as such, but obviously for women when there is a corresponding "Pour Homme" version.

    And we have a discussion board to discuss men's fragances and one for the discussion of female fragrances.

    My Unanswered Question *- Why do men insist on discussing female fragrances on the men's fragrance discussion board?

    Responses along the lines of - men can wear any scent they want/ manly men can wear female fragrances/ I'm offended at any comparison to crossdressing/ you must be insecure in your manhood because I'm not, and I wear lots of female scents/ this is a site solely for men to discuss what they wear/perfumers don't see any distinction, only the manufacturers do, so why should we have that distinction etc etc - *are all very interesting, but are also either totally irrelevant or plain wrong.

    When I want to discuss a female scent, I go to the board set up for that purpose - the female fragance discussion board *- a board "for the discussion of feminine fragrances".

    I don't feel unmanly in the least about it.

    My next question -
    Why do so many of you, despite all your assertions and protestations of your manliness, feel so plainly uncomfortable and totally disinclined to discuss the feminine fragrances you wear on the board which is "for the discussion of feminine fragrances"?
    Renato

  7. #127
    Overcome By Fumes
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    3,276

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    We did leave that unanswered, eh?

    I have posted and do post on the "feminine fragrance" board on occasion. *The activity level, however, on this board far outweighs that on the other side, which leads me to post preferentially here. *Just look at the numbers of posts and of topics. *In a way, since this originated more as a board for males/masculine fragrances, with the other side coming later, I still think of this as my "home" board and tend to post most things here. *Especially as I'm not so much inclined to worry if things fit in this box or that one--most of the people who I read and share with are posting on this board. *With limited time in the day, I'll check in here even if I don't get a chance to check in there. *If I am posting on a fragrance specifically with a question, and it's a "feminine" fragrance; I will usually post it there--sometimes here, depending on who I am hoping to hear from. * I always post SotD here, no matter what category the fragrance may officially be, although, on occasion I post both sides. *I would venture to guess that a lot of guys tend not to read that board and thus posting there may miss some of the input I would want from the crowd who reads here. *Really, it seems like quite a fuss to worry about who is posting about a fragrance categorized as this or that on whichever board.


    My unanswered question: How did you manage to post twice without your number of posts increasing?

  8. #128

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    We did leave that unanswered, eh?

    I have posted and do post on the "feminine fragrance" board on occasion. *The activity level, however, on this board far outweighs that on the other side, which leads me to post preferentially here. *Just look at the numbers of posts and of topics. *In a way, since this originated more as a board for males/masculine fragrances, with the other side coming later, I still think of this as my "home" board and tend to post most things here. *Especially as I'm not so much inclined to worry if things fit in this box or that one--most of the people who I read and share with are posting on this board. *With limited time in the day, I'll check in here even if I don't get a chance to check in there. *If I am posting on a fragrance specifically with a question, and it's a "feminine" fragrance; I will usually post it there--sometimes here, depending on who I am hoping to hear from. * I always post SotD here, no matter what category the fragrance may officially be, although, on occasion I post both sides. *I would venture to guess that a lot of guys tend not to read that board and thus posting there may miss some of the input I would want from the crowd who reads here. *Really, it seems like quite a fuss to worry about who is posting about a fragrance categorized as this or that on whichever board.


    My unanswered question: *How did you manage to post twice without your number of posts increasing?
    It seems to me that you're answer is that you are posting about feminine scents on this board because the guys who's opinion you want, are not posting on the other board. Which still leaves unanswered my question of why guys in general are not posting about feminine scents on the feminine board in the first place.
    Traffic on that board certainly wouldn't be a problem if they did post that way.

    That's one really good question you've posed. I wish I knew the answer, because I feel short changed!
    Renato

  9. #129

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by rosbergs3
    And unless you are a fragrance nut like basenoters are, the layperson would NEVER EVER know.
    Agree 100%. Just like when I used to wear Hawk and got lots of compliments on it. Nobody even recognized that it was a "male" fragrance.

    And if you WERE dating a fragrance nut and she recognized whatever you were wearing, she'd probably think it was cool, brave, and confident of you to "cross sides" like that. I know I would! (I love that my husband was willing to try SJP Lovely - and it was very nice on him - and that he's happy to try Dior Dolce Vita or Vivienne Westwood Libertine or, well, pretty much anything I want him to try, other than Diorissimo, which he doesn't like even on me, hehe).

    bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

  10. #130
    Overcome By Fumes
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    3,276

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Let me simplify my answer.

    It takes more time and effort to follow two boards than it does to follow one.

    Got it?

  11. #131

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    For cripes sake. Have you noticed that most DESIGNER fragrances are designated Pour Homme vs. Pour Femme? It's all about selling the most units.

    If I were an alien studying such things, I'd wonder how they come up with these categories. Once I'd figured this out, I'd want to study the sociology of how certain genders stuck by such marketing schemes. This is certainly a complex issue, but it all comes down to people following the herd. This is why designer fragrances are profitable.

    Don't get me wrong... I love fragrances "categorized" as designer and niche, but I think we all need to designate for ourselves what works for our own body chemistry. I've tried many "female" fragrances that I deemed too masculine and many "male" fragrances I deemed too feminine.

    Get over the frickin' marketing crap.


  12. #132
    Strange Accord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Missoula, Montana, United States
    Posts
    249

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    When I mentioned the Arpege I was thinking of my first date with my husband, who is essentially a traditional kind of guy. He showed up wearing a pink shirt and I thought, well that's different, I like that. (Not a bright pink. The color was somewhat neutralized and the fabric was a cotton sailcloth. I don't mean, like, pink polyester.) I thought it was quite bold and self-assured of him. He insists, now, that he most certainly did not wear the pink shirt he owned.

  13. #133

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by Octothorpe
    For cripes sake. *Have you noticed that most DESIGNER fragrances are designated Pour Homme vs. Pour Femme? *It's all about selling the most units.

    If I were an alien studying such things, I'd wonder how they come up with these categories. *Once I'd figured this out, I'd want to study the sociology of how certain genders stuck by such marketing schemes. *This is certainly a complex issue, but it all comes down to people following the herd. *This is why designer fragrances are profitable.

    Don't get me wrong... I love fragrances "categorized" as designer and niche, but I think we all need to designate for ourselves what works for our own body chemistry. *I've tried many "female" fragrances that I deemed too masculine and many "male" fragrances I deemed too feminine.

    Get over the frickin' marketing crap.
    I notice that your response doesn't address either of my questions - why do men not post about feminine scents in the feminine discussion site, and is there some feeling of unmanliness involved?

    If it is all marketing crap as you put it, and it is all as is irrelevant as you suggest, I should then expect to see heaps of your comments about men's and women's scents, equally distributed among the men's and women's fragrance discussion boards - with half of your postings in the women's fragrance section about men's fragrances.
    But I don't. Maybe it's not that irrelevant? How come you are being dictated to buy all that marketing crap, as you put it?
    Renato


  14. #134

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by Strange_Accord
    When I mentioned the Arpege I was thinking of my first date with my husband, who is essentially a traditional kind of guy. *He showed up wearing a pink shirt and I thought, well that's different, I like that. *(Not a bright pink. *The color was somewhat neutralized and the fabric was a cotton sailcloth. *I don't mean, like, pink polyester.) *I thought it was quite bold and self-assured of him. *He insists, now, that he most certainly did not wear the pink shirt he owned.
    I once showed up to work in a hot pink jumper - that was not a good day - there was only so much ridicule I could take before I put it in my briefcase and froze.
    Like many men, I'm partly red-green colour blind - I had thought it was red.
    I took the jumper back to the shop and exchanged it next day.
    Renato

  15. #135

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=Octothorpe link=1144672219/120#130 date=1145596277]For cripes sake. *Have you noticed that most DESIGNER fragrances are designated Pour Homme vs. Pour Femme? *It's all about selling the most units.

    If I were an alien studying such things, I'd wonder how they come up with these categories. *Once I'd figured this out, I'd want to study the sociology of how certain genders stuck by such marketing schemes. *This is certainly a complex issue, but it all comes down to people following the herd. *This is why designer fragrances are profitable.

    Don't get me wrong... I love fragrances "categorized" as designer and niche, but I think we all need to designate for ourselves what works for our own body chemistry. *I've tried many "female" fragrances that I deemed too masculine and many "male" fragrances I deemed too feminine.

    Get over the frickin' marketing crap.
    I notice that your response doesn't address either of my questions - why do men not post about feminine scents in the feminine discussion site, and is there some feeling of unmanliness involved?

    If it is all marketing crap as you put it, and it is all as is irrelevant as you suggest, I should then expect to see heaps of your comments about men's and women's scents, equally distributed among the men's and women's fragrance discussion boards - with half of your postings in the women's fragrance section about men's fragrances.
    But I don't. Maybe it's not that irrelevant? How come you are being dictated to buy all that marketing crap, as you put it?
    Renato
    [/quote]

    I'll try to answer your questions, Renato, from my point of view if you will answer this one question of mine. *Why did you start a thread entitled "Males wearing female fragrances" on a board that you, yourself, seem to suggest should only be about male fragrances? * This topic should not be allowed on this board because it isn't about male fragrances.

  16. #136
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,865

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    I made a post about Tabac Blond and Parfum Sacre on the feminine discussion site a couple of days ago. I like Tabac Blond a lot. Parfum Sacre I like better on my female companion. The Carons are just so spectacular. You can't help but get a little excited about them.
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

    The entire universe is based upon your ability to conclude the new idea which is the summoning forth of the new life into the new space.

    Man, this site has really gone to shit. Seems like every person who knew anything about perfume has left the building, and I can see why.



  17. #137

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=docluv45 link=1144672219/120#126 date=1145586822]We did leave that unanswered, eh?

    I have posted and do post on the "feminine fragrance" board on occasion. The activity level, however, on this board far outweighs that on the other side, which leads me to post preferentially here. Just look at the numbers of posts and of topics. In a way, since this originated more as a board for males/masculine fragrances, with the other side coming later, I still think of this as my "home" board and tend to post most things here. Especially as I'm not so much inclined to worry if things fit in this box or that one--most of the people who I read and share with are posting on this board. With limited time in the day, I'll check in here even if I don't get a chance to check in there. If I am posting on a fragrance specifically with a question, and it's a "feminine" fragrance; I will usually post it there--sometimes here, depending on who I am hoping to hear from. I always post SotD here, no matter what category the fragrance may officially be, although, on occasion I post both sides. I would venture to guess that a lot of guys tend not to read that board and thus posting there may miss some of the input I would want from the crowd who reads here. Really, it seems like quite a fuss to worry about who is posting about a fragrance categorized as this or that on whichever board.....
    It seems to me that you're answer is that you are posting about feminine scents on this board because the guys who's opinion you want, are not posting on the other board. Which still leaves unanswered my question of why guys in general are not posting about feminine scents on the feminine board in the first place. Traffic on that board certainly wouldn't be a problem if they did post that way.
    That's one really good question you've posed. I wish I knew the answer, because I feel short changed!
    Renato
    [/quote]
    My answer would also be docluv's answer, just less sophisticated here. Sometimes I need reassurance from women, sometimes from men. As concerns masculine fragrances, Renato, I think of your personal preferences highly, and I share a lot of them. It is my impression that we both have grown into liking more exclusive scents during the past twelve to eighteen months, without looking down on some more basic male colognes in our (so different) past. You post a lot, so I know you a little by now, and my personal questions on the wearability of a feminine frag would not exactly be directed at you. But there are other men with different ideas, and these are less predictable! It is their opininions I want to consider too. Maybe I have the wrong idea, but concerning wearability, from Cool Water to Lauder's Beyond Paradise (women) I need a man's opinion! His rude directness or drastic comparisons just have more info value (for me).

    A woman's judgement is usually more ambigious, more liberal - too liberal? Ask myself why few men post in the feminine forum and vice versa? It is a fact! What is there to worry, be that logical or not? I best accept what is there! Due to the fact that the web houses quite a few lively forums for female fragrances, basenote's female forum is not particularly outstanding (in my opinion). It is thinly populated in comparison to the male fragrance forum, from which follows: female fragrances have less coverage. Often you find no fragrance details, no review at all concerning a specific fragrance. Many a review is written by persons you never heard of. There are others written by male basenotes members, some of which have a reputation for writing expert male reviews also.

    Basenotes, I bet, is known for it's male forum. Their members are mostly there for a passion, which is perfume. They also consider, even discuss, wearing female fragrances, so what? (anybody knows the percentage of such threads? It is certainly below the percentage of daily crap everybody must tolerate as unavoidable). Actually how can we afford not to discuss certain female frags as part of the male wardrobe on the male fragrance board? Better than having Armani/Lutens decide what is appropriate for men to wear, Roudnitska, or Chandler Burr, let us men decide ourselves, each for himself, us as a group (Musc Ravageur 2005 f?/m?). As a world wide group we are the expert consumers, and perfume houses, designers and lifestyle Gurus should listen!

    To try and force the 'borderline' discussions into a special section is not a trifle peculiarity. It could have a killing effect. How do we determine what is the hard core in male fragrances if we do not know the borders? A discussion like this one helps find the borders.


    (I just found out that marking statements by capital letters is a 'nono'. now adjusted)



    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

  18. #138

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by foetidus
    I'll try to answer your questions, Renato, from my point of view if you will answer this one question of mine. *Why did you start a thread entitled "Males wearing female fragrances" on a board that you, yourself, seem to suggest should only be about male fragrances? * This topic should not be allowed on this board because it isn't about male fragrances.
    Because the topic and it's contents as the discussion has evolved relates directly to men's fragrances, and the reason for being of this board for the discussion of men's fragrances - which many interpret as being either solely a board for men, or a board for the discussion of feminine fragrances, or a board for the discussion of men wearing feminine fragrances.
    Renato

  19. #139

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    Because the topic and it's contents as the discussion has evolved relates directly to men's fragrances, and the reason for being of this board for the discussion of men's fragrances - which many interpret as being either solely a board for men, or a board for the discussion of feminine fragrances, or a board for the discussion of men wearing feminine fragrances.
    Renato
    Sorry Renato, you are wrong. *This topic as stated does not relate directly to MEN'S FRAGRANCES. You know better than that. *

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    Because the topic and it's contents as the discussion has evolved relates directly to men's fragrances, and the reason for being of this board for the discussion of men's fragrances - which many interpret as being either solely a board for men, or a board for the discussion of feminine fragrances, or a board for the discussion of men wearing feminine fragrances.
    Renato
    More like it, Renato, I've regained my respect for your argumentative skills. *But this exact same argument can be said of the discussion of women's fragrances on the men's section, so you, youself, have provided the reason for discussions of women's fragrances on the men's board.

    Now I want to give my response to your questions. *Why do men not post about feminine scents in the feminine discussion site? * Because they don't want to. They want to post in the men's section. *They probably post on the woman's side too. *Where's the crime?

    And is there some feeling of unmanliness involved? *Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. *I've never heard what the fragrance god defined as "unmanly," so I don't know what commandment to obey.

  20. #140

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    It's its not it's.


    (Sorry Renato I couldn't resist. ;D)

  21. #141

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Is anyone noticing what is happening on this thread. Renato has been severly lagging in his argument and getting virtually no support that men should not wear womens scents that he is now resorting to "if male basenoters do wear womens scents, then why dont you post your comments on the female discussion board" to bolster his argument? Can we say PATHETIC???? :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
    Awesomeguy

  22. #142

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    In my opinion, if I am wearing the fragrance, its a male fragrance, no matter what the marketing people say.

    Regards,
    Steve

  23. #143

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    My answer would also be docluv's answer, just less sophisticated here. Sometimes I need reassurance from women, sometimes from men. *As concerns masculine fragrances, Renato, I think of your personal preferences highly, and I share a lot of them. It is my impression that we both have grown into liking more exclusive scents during the past twelve to eighteen months, without looking down on some more basic male colognes in our (so different) past. *You post a lot, so I know you a little by now, *and my personal questions on the wearability of a feminine frag would not exactly be directed at you. But there are other men with different ideas, and these are less predictable! It is their opininions I want to consider too. *Maybe I have the wrong idea, but concerning wearability, from Cool Water *to Lauder's Beyond Paradise (women) I need a man's opinion! *His rude directness or drastic comparisons just have more info value (for me).

    A woman's judgement is usually more ambigious, more liberal - too liberal? Ask myself *why few men post in the feminine forum and vice versa? It is a fact! What is there to worry, be that logical or not? I best accept what is there! *Due to the fact that the web houses quite a few lively forums for female fragrances, basenote's female forum is not particularly outstanding (in my opinion). *It is thinly populated in comparison to the male fragrance forum, from which follows: female fragrances have less coverage. Often you find no fragrance details, no review at all concerning a specific fragrance. Many a review is written by persons you never heard of. There are others written by male basenotes members, some of which have a reputation for writing expert male reviews also.

    Basenotes, I bet, is known for it's male forum. Their members are mostly there for a passion, which is perfume. They also consider, even discuss, wearing female fragrances, so what? *(anybody knows the percentage of such threads? It is certainly below the percentage of daily crap everybody must tolerate as unavoidable).
    ACTUALLY, HOW CAN WE AFFORD NOT TO INCLUDE FEMALE FRAGS AS PART OF THE MALE WARDROBE ? Better than having Armani/Lutens decide what is appropriate for men to wear, Roudnitska, or Chandler Burr, let us men decide ourselves, each for himself, us as a group (Musc Ravageur 2005 f?/m?). AS A WORLD WIDE GROUP WE ARE THE EXPERTS, and perfume houses, designers and lifestyle Gurus should listen!

    To try and force the 'borderline' discussions into a special section is not a trifle peculiarity. It could have a killing effect. *How do we determine what is the hard core in male fragrances if you we not know the borders? A discussion like this one helps find the borders.
    * *

    Thanks for your very thoughtful and detailed response. Obviously enough we are coming at this from different premises, so we form different conclusions.

    It may be worth your while testing out the feminine fragrance discussion site just to test out your hypothesis as to whether women are less brutally frank than men. There is only a relatively small proportion of respondees to feminine scent discussions on the men's fragrance discussion site. You may think they are being frank, but I for one *(and I suspect others) just groan in mystification when I come across such topics. You aren't really getting the rude directness you think you are getting - the real rude directness would be something along the lines of - why on earth would any male want to go round smelling girly - is something wrong with your nose - can't you smell a man's scent from a women's one - and you claim you're all experts?
    We used to have members here who would be even harsher than in my previous example, on girly scents like Boss 6 and A*men.

    They aren't around anymore. Some may say thank heavens. I don't - I knew that when they said a scent was masculine - it sure as hell was.

    I consider myself something of an expert on feminine scents - I've bought around a 100 bottles of feminine scents in the last two years, and smelled many more. I think the men's ones are infinitely superior, and I haven't come across one I would remotely consider wearing. Having a deep discussion about the intricacies of lillies of the valley, lilacs, roses and ylang ylang with other guys here, is something you are never going to see from me - it is of zero interest to me.

    Armani and Lutens don't determine what is commonly accepted as appropriate for men to wear. That is decided by the market - which consists half of fragrance buying males, and half of females buying fragrances for men in their lives. Armani makes a lot of money by catering to what they want, and loses money when he doesn't. Lutens isn't all that popular - despite travelling through the perfume shops of three European countries last year, I still haven't seen or smelled one of his scents - from which I conclude his influence is ultra minuscule.

    I seriously doubt that we as a group are the experts here anymore. That stopped about three years ago when the niche craze started - we've diverged significantly from the tastes of the general populations in the countries where we reside. About two years ago, it was not that uncommon for a high school newbie to ask for *simple recommendations here, and to be recommended lots of unisex or feminine smelling Lorenzo Villoresi and Artisan scents which he probably wouldn't like, and couldn't afford if he did. As a group, I thought we looked like pretty useless experts.

    While there is indeed a sub group here who are experts in men's designer scents, there are now very significant numbers here who think they're all rubbish/crap/a waste of money as they're not the height of the artform, namely niche scents. Or nowhere near the quality of something even better - women's scents. When large sections of the board express continuous disdain for designer men's scents - well it kind of makes me think of a science fiction discussion board containing numerous Star Wars types who think all other science fiction is rubbish. And the divergence from the general population is accelerating. This would obviously be seen by many as something good and to be vigorously pursued and encouraged. Which is fair enough, so long as we don't kid ourselves that we as a group are the experts.

    Anyhow, that's my opinion.

    I also take issue with you over your notion that this is a male forum. It isn't. It's subject matter may appeal more to males, but it isn't a male forum. It's open to both sexes to discuss male scent. The fragrance details, reviews and coverage that you lament are missing from the female fragrance discussion board, are only missing because they've been posted on the wrong board.
    Renato



  24. #144

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by foetidus
    [quote author=Renato link=1144672219/135#137 date=1145611124]
    Because the topic and it's contents as the discussion has evolved relates directly to men's fragrances, and the reason for being of this board for the discussion of men's fragrances - which many interpret as being either solely a board for men, or a board for the discussion of feminine fragrances, or a board for the discussion of men wearing feminine fragrances.
    Renato
    Sorry Renato, you are wrong. *This topic as stated does not relate directly to MEN'S FRAGRANCES. You know better than that. *

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    Because the topic and it's contents as the discussion has evolved relates directly to men's fragrances, and the reason for being of this board for the discussion of men's fragrances - which many interpret as being either solely a board for men, or a board for the discussion of feminine fragrances, or a board for the discussion of men wearing feminine fragrances.
    Renato
    More like it, Renato, I've regained my respect for your argumentative skills. *But this exact same argument can be said of the discussion of women's fragrances on the men's section, so you, youself, have provided the reason for discussions of women's fragrances on the men's board.

    Now I want to give my response to your questions. *Why do men not post about feminine scents in the feminine discussion site? * Because they don't want to. They want to post in the men's section. *They probably post on the woman's side too. *Where's the crime?

    And is there some feeling of unmanliness involved? *Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. *I've never heard what the fragrance god defined as "unmanly," so I don't know what commandment to obey. [/quote]
    Hi again,
    Well I knew they didn't want to post in the feminine fragrance discussion - that was why I asked the question in the first place. I suggested a possible reason in my second question. It just stikes me as odd, it seems like a case of - I'm manly enough to wear women's scents, and discuss them with my manly male buddies, but I'm not manly enough to call a spade a spade and discuss them in the female fragrance discussion, where such scents are meant to be discussed - it might be considered a tad girly perhaps?
    Renato

  25. #145

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    It's its not it's.


    (Sorry Renato I couldn't resist. ;D)
    You are one 100% correct. I wish we had a grammar and spell checker here.
    Renato

  26. #146

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by sjas1962
    In my opinion, if I am wearing the fragrance, its a male fragrance, no matter what the marketing people say.

    Regards,
    Steve
    So, if I come across a big hairy brute of a man, wearing pink lace panties and a bra, and he says to me "I am wearing these clothes, so they are men's clothes" - I just nod and unconditionally agree with him, right?
    Renato

  27. #147

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by rosbergs3
    Is anyone noticing what is happening on this thread. *Renato has been severly lagging in his argument and getting virtually no support that men should not wear womens scents that he is now resorting to "if male basenoters do wear womens scents, then why dont you post your comments on the female discussion board" to bolster his argument? *Can we say PATHETIC???? * :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
    You could indeed, if there were any substance to your proposition.
    Feel free to check back on anything I wrote and find just one single instance of my saying "Men should not wear women's scents".
    You won't find one.
    Renato

  28. #148

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Too far south of the Mason Dixon line
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=sjas1962 link=1144672219/135#141 date=1145622850]In my opinion, if I am wearing the fragrance, its a male fragrance, no matter what the marketing people say.

    Regards,
    Steve
    So, if I come across a big hairy brute of a man, wearing pink lace panties and a bra, and he says to me "I am wearing these clothes, so they are men's clothes" *- *I just nod and unconditionally agree with him, right?
    Renato[/quote]


    We're back to the beginning point here......the supposition that men wearing "women's scent is analagous to men wearing women's clothes: and its not analagous. Not only is it not analagous but what's considered men's clothing and women's clothing varies per culture. Go ahead and see what happens if you go tell some big burly Scotsman he's a pussy girlyman because he wears a "skirt" You might end up eating your teeth for lunch.

    The main reason its not analagous is...... perfume was originally created as unisex......obviously our culture has changed it into a gender based issue & marketing ploy.......I sure hope this doesn't happen in the food category. Us women won't suffer because as you know women get to cross most gender lines with little or no repercussions. I can wear pants.......wear men's cologne and not be attacked for it or assumed gay for that matter. So if food ever becomes gender based like perfume has.......You guys will be stuck eating heros, pizza, all sloppy food will be deemed masculine food. All Italian food will be deemed masculine becuase its pasta & messy and of course you guys will need thos all maculine testerone laden grills to prove just what a manly cook you really are. All asian food is feminine because it requires chop sticks and that takes more coordination and finesse....definitely a feminine trait. Also......all fusion cuisine or anything served with any type of garnish is oh so feminine and if a man eats any of this in public he will be deemed a cross eater!!!!

  29. #149

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=sjas1962 link=1144672219/135#141 date=1145622850]In my opinion, if I am wearing the fragrance, its a male fragrance, no matter what the marketing people say.

    Regards,
    Steve
    So, if I come across a big hairy brute of a man, wearing pink lace panties and a bra, and he says to me "I am wearing these clothes, so they are men's clothes" *- *I just nod and unconditionally agree with him, right?
    Renato[/quote]

    Uhm Renato. I don't follow you here. Bras and panties are made for certain anatomical specifics. Culture has nothing to do with that.

    It has a lot to do, though, with the idea that a man should smell in a certain way because that's what is more 'inherently' masculine, or that he should be allowed not to disguise his own animalic bodily scent while a woman should keep it in check instead.

    One one hand - bras and panties - the object is a symbol of what IS actually there. *On the other - scent - the object serves the purpose of evoking what cultural habits suppose SHOULD be there - i.e., a perfectly clean, harmless, frilly and flowery-scented womanhood.

    I think.

    Buffalo Gal: Had Renato picked 'skirt' instead of 'bras' or 'panties' a true analogy would have been established, and his theorem would have been invalidated.

  30. #150

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo_Gal
    [quote author=Renato link=1144672219/135#145 date=1145624927][quote author=sjas1962 link=1144672219/135#141 date=1145622850]In my opinion, if I am wearing the fragrance, its a male fragrance, no matter what the marketing people say.

    Regards,
    Steve
    So, if I come across a big hairy brute of a man, wearing pink lace panties and a bra, and he says to me "I am wearing these clothes, so they are men's clothes" *- *I just nod and unconditionally agree with him, right?
    Renato[/quote]


    We're back to the beginning point here......the supposition that men wearing "women's scent is analagous to men wearing women's clothes: and its not analagous. *Not only is it not analagous but what's considered men's clothing and women's clothing varies per culture. * Go ahead and see what happens if you go tell some big burly Scotsman he's a pussy girlyman because he wears a "skirt" You might end up eating your teeth for lunch.



    Well put.

    and by the way...my scent of the day is Agent Provocateur.

    Regards,
    Steve

  31. #151

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Personally, I think renato just loves to argue. I would call him a drama queen but he would probably call me sexist again. After all, he is the one that started this thread!

  32. #152

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    I honestly don't understand why everyone's so offended with Renato's cross-dressing analogy. If we say that it's society that has forced us into considering fragrances male or female, wouldn't that also apply to clothes? Who said men can't wear skirts? The Scotts have been doing so for generations! :
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

  33. #153

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by rosbergs3
    Is anyone noticing what is happening on this thread. *Renato has been severly lagging in his argument and getting virtually no support that men should not wear womens scents that he is now resorting to "if male basenoters do wear womens scents, then why dont you post your comments on the female discussion board" to bolster his argument? *Can we say PATHETIC???? * :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
    I'm sorry, but calling someone pathetic and then following it up with five smiley-faces is somewhat... ghm...counterproductive, shall we say? * :
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

  34. #154

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo_Gal
    The main reason its not analagous is...... perfume was originally created as unisex......obviously our culture has changed it into a gender based issue & marketing ploy.......
    Well, to be fair, all clothes were created to be unisex, too. *Depends on how far in history you want to go.

    Most men who use female frangrances - even those who were very vocal in this thread - would never admit they do in real life (and some said as much). *I wonder why that is? *If they truly believe there's nothing shameful in it, why not go ahead and state so - perhaps if more people did, it would become more acceptable.

    Now, agreed, I wear male frangrances on a rare occasion (more so when I was younger, less now), but I always freely admit that's what I'm doing. *

    As for frangrances not being feminine/masculine: *I don't wear unisex fragrances specifically for that reason - in my opinion, they're all neither here nor there. *Or hers nor his, as the case may be.

    And as they say: *all opinions expressed in the preceding text blah blah blah blah... *
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

  35. #155

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Too far south of the Mason Dixon line
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by FroFro
    [quote author=Buffalo_Gal link=1144672219/135#147 date=1145626594]The main reason its not analagous is...... perfume was originally created as unisex......obviously our culture has changed it into a gender based issue & marketing ploy.......
    Well, to be fair, all clothes were created to be unisex, too. *Depends on how far in history you want to go.

    Most men who use female frangrances - even those who were very vocal in this thread - would never admit they do in real life (and some said as much). *I wonder why that is? *If they truly believe there's nothing shameful in it, why not go ahead and state so - perhaps if more people did, it would become more acceptable.

    Now, agreed, I wear male frangrances on a rare occasion (more so when I was younger, less now), but I always freely admit that's what I'm doing. *

    As for frangrances not being feminine/masculine: *I don't wear unisex fragrances specifically for that reason - in my opinion, they're all neither here nor there. *Or hers nor his, as the case may be.

    And as they say: *all opinions expressed in the preceding text blah blah blah blah... *
    [/quote]

    In essence you have made my point.......Fragrances weren't unisex in the vein that they were neither here nor there........men wore florals, leather....whatever was created was there for use by everyone....just like food is today........

    All fruit are feminine...they are sweet & are the ova of the plant world.....this is women's food. if men eat it they might as well be wearing tutus and a lace bra
    Steak is for men......its masculine....from the testosterone laden Bull. Milk...feminine...comes from the female & nourishes the young. What makes flowers or floral scents feminine...nothing does......and in fact it didn't used to be seen as masculine or feminine....just nice smelling compared to the rotted festering scents that abounded. So who decided florals are girly and leather manly??? I know...the marlboro man!!!

    no matter how far back you go in history....men & women in any culture, primitive or not....did not & do not wear the same clothes......even in the most scantily dressed cultures.

    men might be scared to to admit to wearing "women's" perfume...."said women's ~ because marketers say its women's and we live in a time where homophobia runs rampant!!!! i think its a sad statement about our society......

    And My anology still holds true.....lets say its 250 yrs down the road......food has been categorized as masculine and feminine for over 100 years. We are on a culinary men's board and some brave men are saying heck....I eat women's food & women's dishes even though i might be embarrassed to say so in public for fear of being labeled because of it. I say let us eat what we want.........back in the day....in past history....food was originally created for all......now there's men's food women's food and the unisex foods & dishes. men' wearing women's scents is much closer in comparison to food being genderized than to men wearing women's clothes. Scent is scent.....food is food......clothes have always been gender specific......The more interesting question is why on earth was there a need to genderize scents and if its 250 years later....why on earth did we need to genderize food. how did it become that our senses have been categorized into masculine & feminine.

  36. #156

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Off topic replies have been moved to [link=http://www.basenotes.net/community/YaBB.pl?num=1145639999]This Thread[/link]

  37. #157

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    I have split this thread and put the non-fragrance portion in offtopic.

    Please note we have a no-politics policy. Please bear this in mind

  38. #158

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    I have split this thread and put the non-fragrance portion in offtopic.

    Please note we have a no-politics policy. Please bear this in mind
    Hi Grant,
    * Drats - in the words of Marlon Brando - "I could have been a contender ............" *- *for the longest thread this year, that is.
    Renato

  39. #159
    Strange Accord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Missoula, Montana, United States
    Posts
    249

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    What is defined as masculine and feminine varies over time. In the 18th century men wore wigs of long curly white hair, lacy shirts, pedal pusher length pants, bright red silk outfits, and high heels. Have things changed or what?

    Any man can be part of the contemporary vanguard by starting to create what it will be comfortable for a man to wear in public in the future.

    I for one am put off when I smell the the stereotypic male fragrance that is heavily dosed with bergamot and/or lavender. I have been smelling that thick bergamot/lavender scent for ever and am utterly tired of it. I think it is most unfortunate that so many men don't feel manly unless their fragrance signals it with a screaming dose of at least one of those two notes.

  40. #160
    Overcome By Fumes
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    3,276

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=rosbergs3 link=1144672219/135#140 date=1145617220]Is anyone noticing what is happening on this thread. *Renato has been severly lagging in his argument and getting virtually no support that men should not wear womens scents that he is now resorting to "if male basenoters do wear womens scents, then why dont you post your comments on the female discussion board" to bolster his argument? *Can we say PATHETIC???? * :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
    You could indeed, if there were any substance to your proposition.
    Feel free to check back on anything I wrote and find just one single instance of my saying "Men should not wear women's scents".
    You won't find one.
    Renato[/quote]


    Actually, this is quite true. *I went back through this entire long thread and could not find Renato to say much of anything propositionally. *There is quite a bit of questioning and poking at other people's statements. *Tell us what you believe, kind sir.

  41. #161

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    [quote author=Renato link=1144672219/135#146 date=1145625215][quote author=rosbergs3 link=1144672219/135#140 date=1145617220]Is anyone noticing what is happening on this thread. *Renato has been severly lagging in his argument and getting virtually no support that men should not wear womens scents that he is now resorting to "if male basenoters do wear womens scents, then why dont you post your comments on the female discussion board" to bolster his argument? *Can we say PATHETIC???? * :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
    You could indeed, if there were any substance to your proposition.
    Feel free to check back on anything I wrote and find just one single instance of my saying "Men should not wear women's scents".
    You won't find one.
    Renato[/quote]


    Actually, this is quite true. *I went back through this entire long thread and could not find Renato to say much of anything propositionally. *There is quite a bit of questioning and poking at other people's statements. *Tell us what you believe, kind sir.[/quote]
    I think I've said an awful lot about male fragrance discussion and female fragance discussion, and on which board it may be better if each took place.
    In the course of it, many people questioned the premise as to whether there actually were male and female scents, as the basis for why they only posted about both types solely in the male fragrance discussion. I had quite a lot to say about that to.
    But one thing I will never say here is "You must/should or must not/should not ......do or not do .........",
    because
    1. *I'm not the ruler of the universe and,
    2. *Grant is the ruler of this particular universe, and
    3. * Life is less stressful that way.
    Renato


  42. #162

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Too far south of the Mason Dixon line
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    In a nut shell (I own very LARGE nutshells ....LOL)

    1) board states Male fragrance discussion
    2) what constitutes a male fragrance.......Marketers or the consumers
    3) Why should or shouldn't male members discuss "women's scents" on the male fragrance board.


    My answer

    Just because a scent is marketed one way or the other is not a true testament that the scent is actually masculine or feminine. The people who smell it are truly the judges. if company X makes a scent....says its feminine and a male basenoter tries it and to him its the most masculine letaher scent he's ever smelled & is truly puzzled that its marketed as women's.....wants to come in and share it with all his basenotes family.......shouldn't he post it on the male board......after all wouldn't he want the guys to know he found the most amazing scent.....and surprise its a woman's leather scent. it really doesn't matter how something is marketed.....there's all sorts of reasons a fragrance is marketed a certain way....

    Take tabac blond......its made for women......but essentially is rather masculine & was purposely made to be a masculine "women's" perfume.......it was made to celebrate women's masculinity so to speak....the woman who now does masculine things....smoke cigarettes......and in essence celebrate the more liberated woman. Who am i to say its masculine....me as the consumer....and who are men to say its masculine....the male consumer and how is it the Ales Group can say its a women's scent....well its their creation and get to say whatever they want to about it.

    So......the question is.......why shouldn't women's perfume be discussed on the men's board and vise versa??


    For me i don't want to be bound to something just because some marketer with all sorts of hidden agendas says this is womens or this is mens.......
    All I know is I'd be missing out on tons of great male scents if I only stuck to scents sold as women's scents.
    Donna Karan's black cashmere for me is ULTRA masculine & i know many men wear it because in fact its not feminine at all. (as professed by both many men & women) Shouldn't the men be able to share with the other men.......fantastic scents geared towards women but to them are unisex or masculine....or even feminine but smell beyond divine on them.....SHOULDN'T THAT PLACE BE THE MEN'S BOARD.......

    I say if someone is not interested in women's fragrance no matter how masuline it may be that they do not have to read the thread.....on the men's board.......because there may be men who are interested.



  43. #163

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo_Gal
    In a nut shell (I own very LARGE nutshells ....LOL)

    1) board states Male fragrance discussion
    2) what constitutes a male fragrance.......Marketers or the consumers
    3) Why should or shouldn't male members discuss "women's scents" *on the male fragrance board.


    My answer

    Just because a scent is marketed one way or the other is not a true testament that the scent is actually masculine or feminine. The people who smell it are truly the judges. *if company X makes a scent....says its feminine and a male basenoter tries it and to him its the most masculine letaher scent he's ever smelled & is truly puzzled that its marketed as women's.....wants to come in and share it with all his basenotes family.......shouldn't he post it on the male board......after all wouldn't he want the guys to know he found the most amazing scent.....and surprise its a woman's leather scent. *it really doesn't matter how something is marketed.....there's all sorts of reasons a fragrance is marketed a certain way....

    Take tabac blond......its made for women......but essentially is rather masculine & was purposely made to be a masculine "women's" perfume.......it was made to celebrate women's masculinity so to speak....the woman who now does masculine things....smoke cigarettes......and in essence celebrate the more liberated woman. *Who am i to say its masculine....me as the consumer....and who are men to say its masculine....the male consumer and how is it the Ales Group can say its a women's scent....well its their creation and get to say whatever they want to about it. *

    So......the question is.......why shouldn't women's perfume be discussed on the men's board and vise versa??


    For me i don't want to be bound to something just because some marketer with all sorts of hidden agendas says this is womens or this is mens.......
    All I know is I'd be missing out on tons of great male scents if I only stuck to scents sold as women's scents.
    Donna Karan's black cashmere for me is ULTRA masculine & i know many men wear it because in fact its not feminine at all. *(as professed by both many men & women) Shouldn't the men be able to share with the other men.......fantastic scents geared towards women but to them are unisex or masculine....or even feminine but smell beyond divine on them.....SHOULDN'T THAT PLACE BE THE MEN'S BOARD.......

    I say if someone is not interested in women's fragrance no matter how masuline it may be that they do not have to read the thread.....on the men's board.......because there may be men who are interested.

    This is very curious. I was unaware that I was on a "MEN's BOARD" as you call it. This is a place for any person regardless of sex to discuss men's fragrance.
    If this were truly a "MEN'S BOARD" - well - you wouldn't be posting here. But you are.

    Perhaps you do not recollect my earlier posting that I had no problem with the discussion of scents in the context of their being misclassified, namely that a feminine scent should really be classified as being in "men's fragrance". *

    It is with great interest that I note that none of the numerous female champions for men discussing feminine scents on the men's fragrance discussion board, have said "Hey guys, come and join us on the Female Fragrance Discussion board."

    I wonder why that is?
    Renato

    P.S. Black Cashmere - ultra masculine? Not to my nose, by a long shot. I can think of a thousand more masculine scents in the Men's fragrance section.

  44. #164

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Too far south of the Mason Dixon line
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    You know i meant MEN'S Fragrance board......when i said the men's board.
    The fact that you chose to even address this says you're not serious about this thread.

    I see you put yourself out very little. you do not answer questions and simply bat questions back with another question. This lets me know you are not truly interested in a discussion......

    The men are very welcome on the women's board........THAT IS WOMEN"S FRAGRANCE BOARD.
    They post there all the time and i have never heard anyone unhappy with any man's presence. On the contrary they are very welcome. However your statement about championing is not a good analogy....in fact it would have to be men championing for women to talk about men's scents on the WFB due to a woman raising the question you did
    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    Well, there have been numerous postings here about how good it can be for males to wear female fragrances, and much discussion about the individual female fragrances themselves, even though it is a Male Fragrance Discussion board.

    Renato

    So it would be "Well, there have been numerous postings here about how good it can be for women to wear male fragrances, and much discussion about the individual male fragrances themselves, even though it is a Female Fragrance Discussion board." Posted by a woman and a man was defending my ability to discuss men's fragrances on the women's FRAGRANCE board




    No woman has raised the equivelant of your question on the WFB......

    You still didn't answer the question...........if other men are interested in which women's scents are good on a man......why should it NOT posted on the men's fragrance board???

    You stated there is alot of discussion of female scent and its a male fragrance discussion board......

    Interestingly enough....its not the woman who are discussing these female scents....its the men.....and they are men and they are on the MFB so insn't that reason enough to discuss it.........





  45. #165

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    WOW! I've spottedly read some posts of this thread ( indeed too much posts and too long for following the discussion from the beginning) but it seem to have become a sort of soap opera...

  46. #166

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo_Gal
    You know i meant MEN'S Fragrance board......when i said the men's board.
    The fact that you chose to even address this says you're not serious about this thread.
    I don't know what you mean, I only know what you say - and if you read the previous posts, you will note I have pointed out exactly the same thing to several males who said, exactly as you did, that this was a Men's board.
    Renato

  47. #167

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Too far south of the Mason Dixon line
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    AND Still no answer to the questions posed......

    Thanks for illiterating my point so poignantly




  48. #168

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo_Gal

    You still didn't answer the question...........if other men are interested in which women's scents are good on *a man......why should it NOT posted on the men's fragrance board???
    Fot the upteenth time, my immutable answer is because at the top of the page is the statement,
    "This board is for the discussion of men's fragrance" - and women's fragrance isn't men's fragrance.

    I can't be any clearer than that.

    You may choose not to accept my answer, that is your prerogative, but never let it be said I didn't give a damned good answer. It is not incumbent on me to show why it would be better for people to follow the directions posted on the board, as I am the one in compliance with what is written at the top of the board.
    Renato

  49. #169

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo_Gal
    AND Still no answer to the questions posed......

    Thanks for illiterating my point so poignantly


    I'm just a poor male who can't get to grips with those multiple quotations (I stuff them up every time), so please pardon me, but you'll have to put up with multipart, multipost responses.
    Renato

  50. #170

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent
    WOW! I've spottedly read some posts of this thread ( indeed too much posts and too long for following the discussion from the beginning) but it seem to have become a sort of soap opera...
    I've tried to get out of it - really I have.
    On numerous occasions I've watched the topic slip off the bottom of the page, into page 2, then page 3 - at last it's over! But then it shows up again on page 1, and I keep being dragged back into it. I feel like I'm in an episode of the Twilight Zone. This has a life all of its own.
    Renato

  51. #171

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Too far south of the Mason Dixon line
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Sorry....didn't realize you were actually posing a statement & not a question.....
    Which is a complaint about the misuse of the board. it seems many of the men aren't in support of your complaint.

    I'm glad things aren't as rigid as you'd like them to be and I sure hope they don't end up that way......
    as it lends itself to blandness.

    Maybe you should have simply went to the ruler of this universe......as to why others don't follow the rules of the board.


    I'm done.

  52. #172

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    I always miss out on all the fun threads. * >

  53. #173
    Overcome By Fumes
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    3,276

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=Buffalo_Gal link=1144672219/150#163 date=1145811762]

    You still didn't answer the question...........if other men are interested in which women's scents are good on *a man......why should it NOT posted on the men's fragrance board???
    Fot the upteenth time, my immutable answer is because at the top of the page is the statement,
    "This board is for the discussion of men's fragrance" - and women's fragrance isn't men's fragrance.

    I can't be any clearer than that.

    You may choose not to accept my answer, that is your prerogative, but never let it be said I didn't give a damned good answer. It is not incumbent on me to show why it would be better for people to follow the directions posted on the board, as I am the one in compliance with what is written at the top of the board.
    Renato
    [/quote]


    Yet you choose, sometimes philosophically, sometimes humorously, to consistently deny the assertion that the perfume house's classification may be arbitrary, and thus people may have their own classification which may be more appropriate for them. I, for one, am interested in the perfume house's classification, as I may be interested in the perfumer or the year of introduction--yet I would not refuse to try a perfume on the basis of such matters. If there were a separate board for "Fragrances of the 1970's" (there is a thread going to that effect, I believe), if some people posted about fragrances that had actually been introduced in years prior, but for which people had special associations for those fragrances which occurred in the 1970s--I would not expect the anyone to have any objection to that.

    Let's look at this another way. Some of us may be fragrance-gender anarchists. This point of view has been articulated here a few times--specifically that scents have no gender, and that society has put these associations of certain aromas as being appropriate for males or for females. You, on the other hand, appear to be arguing for what I might call fragrance-gender formalists. This point of view, also asserted here, although few have elaborated on it, states that what the perfume says it is, is what it is, masculine or feminine, period.

    I do not believe it is necessary to espouse the anarchist viewpoint to disagree with your assertion. If I had to I could probably classify fragrances on a spectrum of femininity to masculinity. I would lean to putting more floral and sweet to the feminine side and more woody and harsh to the masculine side. If a graph of this spectrum were made, it would likely form a bell curve of sorts. Now if we took all the fragrances and separated them into two groups by the perfume house's classifications (leaving unisex out for now), there would be two bell curves. A fragrance-gender anarchist would have these curves overlapping completely. The fragrance-gender formalist would insist that there is a clear line which could be drawn between the two curves--no overlap could exist whatsoever. What I believe, and I believe further that most basenoters--especially the sophisticated ones, believe, is that there is overlap between the two curves. For some the overlap might be small, for others large. The fact that most people would agree that there is overlap is supported by the refusal of anyone to take the challenge I put forth earlier in this thread. If there were definitely no overlap, then it would be relatively easy to distinguish every single fragrance.

    The fact that it is not so easy to distinguish the perfume house's classification, plus the fact that we all have noses to distinguish for ourselves masculine or feminine, means to me--and to many others--that submitting to perfume house's classifications in deciding where to post our threads is simply foolish.

  54. #174

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    As many of us don't agree with the fact that gender classifications for scents are set in stone, far from it in fact, then they talk about scents that can be worn by both. By this rationale then scents that are marketed as unisex should also have their own board. The topic of "crossdressing" in scents is something that many of us, myself included as I will wear Omnia once in awhile, so therefore it's an issue on the board for discussion of scent on men.

  55. #175

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    [quote author=Renato link=1144672219/165#167 date=1145815720][quote author=Buffalo_Gal link=1144672219/150#163 date=1145811762]

    You still didn't answer the question...........if other men are interested in which women's scents are good on *a man......why should it NOT posted on the men's fragrance board???
    Fot the upteenth time, my immutable answer is because at the top of the page is the statement,
    "This board is for the discussion of men's fragrance" - and women's fragrance isn't men's fragrance.

    I can't be any clearer than that.

    You may choose not to accept my answer, that is your prerogative, but never let it be said I didn't give a damned good answer. It is not incumbent on me to show why it would be better for people to follow the directions posted on the board, as I am the one in compliance with what is written at the top of the board.
    Renato
    [/quote]


    Yet you choose, sometimes philosophically, sometimes humorously, to consistently deny the assertion that the perfume house's classification may be arbitrary, and thus people may have their own classification which may be more appropriate for them. *[/quote]

    Yes, because it is their classification which is the arbitrary one - namely that all scents are the same, there are no men's scents, there are no women's scents, hence all feminine scents will be classified as men's scents, which are suitable for discussion in the men's fragrance discussion board.

    There are perfume houses, and manufacturers and tens of thousands of retailers and millions of customers involved in the scent game. Millions to tens of millions of dollars are involved in the marketing launches of new scents. What is the probability of a manufacturer staying in business if he or she can't even figure out the simplest thing like which sex is likely to buy their product, and at whom to aim the advertising dollars? Would they make any money if they advertised their new women's fragrance solely in men's magazines (e.g. Playboy or American Rifleman)? Would they make any money if they got a nice floral feminine fragrance, called it a men's fargrance, and advertised it in the aforementioned magazines?

    These classification decisions are hardly the flippantly arbitrary decisons you make them out to be (nor the conspiratorial, repressive decisions others are alluding them to be). As a previous respondee pointed out, he wants to be avant guard as to what men will feel comfortable wearing in the future. Fine, in the future the current women's fragrances may be men's fragrances, but at the moment they are women's items - as generally agreed by nearly the entire population, less a dozen or two members at this site.
    Renato


  56. #176

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G.
    As many of us don't agree with the fact that gender classifications for scents are set in stone, far from it in fact, then they talk about scents that can be worn by both. *By this rationale then scents that are marketed as unisex should also have their own board. * The topic of "crossdressing" in scents is something that many of us, myself included as I will wear Omnia once in awhile, so therefore it's an issue on the board for discussion of scent on men. *
    Hi Paul,
    I wouldn't have thought so - by definition "Unisex" mean's it's a men's fragrance.
    Renato

  57. #177

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    :-/ Your soap opera comparison is not far off, Magnifiscent: little brain and favorite situations over and over again! It does not matter if you missed out on some of this. But a good soap additionally has our heart, handkerchief and humor involved! I miss that here!
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

  58. #178
    Overcome By Fumes
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    3,276

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Sometimes I wonder why I bother writing anything at all, since the replies I get suggest that what I have written has been completely misunderstood or not read at all. Still I keep thinking that you will get it if only I clarify it just a little more.

    It appears from the most recent reply quoting my last post, that you would assert that anyone who disagrees with the perfume house's classification would completely randomly categorize fragrances as this or that, when in fact I have stated that such is not necessary at all. My words were that perfume house's classifications "may be arbitrary"--I did not use the term "flippantly" there, specifically because I believe it is not at all flippant. I do understand that perfume houses are in business to make money and do not want to launch fragrances in a way so as to fail. That is an obvious point, but has nothing to do with our argument (at least not my side of it). Despite this, many fragrance launches do fail, for many reasons. There are many aspects to the marketplace, and it seems conceivable to me that a forward thinking perfume house might look at the market and conceptualize that if their competition is making all their feminine fragrances "ultra-feminine"; there may be some women who would want to wear a "feminine" fragrance that appeals to their "masculine" side as well, and thus, by creating a perfume for them, they may corner that part of the market.

    Would you admit that some "feminine" fragrances are more feminine than others? Or that some "masculine" fragrances are more masculine than others? Can your nose discern the qualities that would make you detect these nuances? If the answer is no, then I really cannot take this discussion further, as it would suggest a complete closed-mindedness. Your answer to a question about Eau d'Hadrien early in this thread suggests that you do in fact have the nose and mind to smell and think about these things for yourself and so I persevere. For if you do in fact perceive these subtle gradations, then it is fairly easy to see how the most feminine of "masculine" fragrances could overlap with the most masculine of "feminine" fragrances. If one take the time to analyze such things, would one consider that to be "arbitrary"? I certainly do not, yet I do not have the audacity to suggest that others would follow what I would consider to be masculine or feminine. The fact that millions of dollars are spent on something does not make it correct.

  59. #179

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    Sometimes I wonder why I bother writing anything at all, since the replies I get suggest that what I have written has been completely misunderstood or not read at all. *Still I keep thinking that you will get it if only I clarify it just a little more. *

    It appears from the most recent reply quoting my last post, that you would assert that anyone who disagrees with the perfume house's classification would completely randomly categorize fragrances as this or that, when in fact I have stated that such is not necessary at all. *My words were that perfume house's classifications "may be arbitrary"--I did not use the term "flippantly" there, specifically because I believe it is not at all flippant. *I do understand that perfume houses are in business to make money and do not want to launch fragrances in a way so as to fail. *That is an obvious point, but has nothing to do with our argument (at least not my side of it). *Despite this, many fragrance launches do fail, for many reasons. *There are many aspects to the marketplace, and it seems conceivable to me that a forward thinking perfume house might look at the market and conceptualize that if their competition is making all their feminine fragrances "ultra-feminine"; there may be some women who would want to wear a "feminine" fragrance that appeals to their "masculine" side as well, and thus, by creating a perfume for them, they may corner that part of the market.

    Would you admit that some "feminine" fragrances are more feminine than others? *Or that some "masculine" fragrances are more masculine than others? *Can your nose discern the qualities that would make you detect these nuances? *If the answer is no, then I really cannot take this discussion further, as it would suggest a complete closed-mindedness. *Your answer to a question about Eau d'Hadrien early in this thread suggests that you do in fact have the nose and mind to smell and think about these things for yourself and so I persevere. *For if you do in fact perceive these subtle gradations, then it is fairly easy to see how the most feminine of "masculine" fragrances could overlap with the most masculine of "feminine" fragrances. *If one take the time to analyze such things, would one consider that to be "arbitrary"? *I certainly do not, yet I do not have the audacity to suggest that others would follow what I would consider to be masculine or feminine. *The fact that millions of dollars are spent on something does not make it correct.
    I have now on numerous occasions stated that I see no problem with discussing feminine scents which may have been misclassified (meaning that they were pretty close to the edge, I in fact pointed out that there's been a trend with niche houses making a different sort of unisex style scent, which instead of being devoid of traditional male and female scent ingredients, instead combines both - (and confuses quite a few)).

    Does this not accord with what you thought I disagreed with, but actually didn't?
    Renato

  60. #180

    Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

    Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    :-/ Your soap opera comparison is not *far off, Magnifiscent: little brain and favorite situations over and over again! It does not matter if you missed out on some of this. But a good soap additionally has our heart, handkerchief and humor involved! I miss that here! *
    A really, really good soap opera has another more important element - it's compelling, you can't drag yourself away from it - which is clearly the case here.
    Thanks to all the participants.
    To the bystanders/fence sitters - it's still not too late to join in.
    Renato

Similar Threads

  1. Designer or Niche: A Reevaluation (very long post)
    By scentemental in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 119
    Last Post: 2nd December 2011, 03:58 PM
  2. [m]: Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances. Offshoot
    By Grant in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22nd April 2006, 06:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •