Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

Understanding everyone is an individual and agreeing with the perception that Regato may have "worded" the post a little differently, i think it heightens discussion and thought, in which everyone wins.

My personal take is that scents in the form of cologne/parfum etc. are roughly 25% smell (if that). The other 75% come from inner feelings and other aestethic factors. For instance, i will wear a cologne to exude a response.. whether from myself or others that dignifies a personality, sexuality, gender trait, historical values, etc. Being a "traditional" male and being raised in a relatively conservative upbringing, my "package" pulls me toward more masculine scents.. for instance Gendarme V (conservative and traditional) or Guerlain Vetiver (once again.. a traditional, gentlemanly scent). Whereas a Creed Spring Flowers or Mugler Angel blasts me with a breath of sugar and female seduction and leaves me craving for it on a woman... thats not to say that maybe a man grew up with affectionate parents with liberal views (just an example.. literally thousands of ways this shakes out) that the paradoxical nature of a man/woman attraction to a stereotypical woman/man fragrance. This is a possibility that leaves the attraction from either sex to said opposite sex unnending and totally undefinable, and ultimately acceptable.

With that said.. people should enjoy the scents they enjoy.. because it initiates a positive sensual response.

two cents
    n8

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    Hawk

Griff
    Hi Griff,
    Is this Hawk still available? I'd been using Mennen stuff for a very long time, but never came across this one.
    And would there have been an aftershave splash version available (I ask because Mennen makes the absolute best aftershave splash on the planet - SkinBracer)
    Renato

What do you guys think of the fact that Dzing! and Voleur de Roses for instance were originally "made" for women, and that Michael Edwards doesn`t consider Dzing! to be unisex scent even today...

Well, I received my La Nuit today, and I`m about to try it quite soon. I`m very excited. [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

I will be getting my bottle of La Nuit in just a few hours. I can't wait either. Will report back as soon as I try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Murderer
    What do you guys think of the fact that (1) Dzing! and Voleur de Roses for instance were originally "made" for women, and that Michael (2) Edwards doesn`t consider Dzing! to be unisex scent even today...
    1 - hmmm, they smell a bit like that, don't they?
    2 - what shelf does Edwards put Dzing?
    :-/ unisex/shared/non-gender scents: aren't they neither fish nor bird, olfactory no-man's-land?
    10 and 16 months ago, in two separate 'tests' EdParf F. Malle decided that Musc Ravageur would be just right for me. According to what i picked up from the female frag discussion board, the very same perfume seems to be constantly recommended also to girls of any age. I think I have had few olfactory inhibitions before. But now I am afraid to develop some kind of olfactory gender phobia! I better never had listened in here, but it was such a fascinating discussion, and on a level far beyond average...
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Murderer
    What do you guys think of the fact that Dzing! and Voleur de Roses for instance were originally "made" for women, and that Michael Edwards doesn`t consider Dzing! to be unisex scent even today...

Well, I received my La Nuit today, and I`m about to try it quite soon. I`m very excited. *[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]
    Voleur De Roses I've stated here consistently for the last three years seems way too feminine to me to be a unisex scent (which is something I've said about a quite a number of niche scents - the only one I've changed my mind on being Eau de Hadrien).

Dzing starts of very interesting, then turns to something reminiscent of Bvlgari Black - it never seemed particularly feminine or masculine to me.
    Renato

I think, and have always thought, that Michael Edwards is a loony.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    I think, and have always thought, that Michael Edwards is a loony.
    Why? He is excellent at classifying scents.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=Joel_Cairo link=1144672219/90#96 date=1144949801]I think, and have always thought, that Michael Edwards is a loony.
    Why? He is excellent at classifying scents.
    Renato[/quote]

classifying yes
    comparing, not as much.

At that site where you input one frag and he recommends two others I keep getting these totally gonzo recs that I can't even imagine. Seems no matter what i input, the man steadfastly believes Hummer was MADE FOR ME. I just don't get it!

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    [quote author=Pigeon Murderer link=1144672219/90#92 date=1144942902]What do you guys think of the fact that (1) Dzing! and Voleur de Roses for instance were originally "made" for women, and that Michael (2) Edwards doesn`t consider Dzing! to be unisex scent even today...
    2 - what shelf does Edwards put Dzing?
    [/quote]

Dzing! is listed only on femine side, when VdR have appearance on both sides. This Dzing! thing is interesting, since the man considers even A La Nuit (SL) to be suitable on both sexes.

Hi Griff,
    Is this Hawk still available? I'd been using Mennen stuff for a very long time, but never came across this one.
    And would there have been an aftershave splash version available (I ask because Mennen makes the absolute best aftershave splash on the planet - SkinBracer)
    Renato
    Sadly, no, it is no longer in production. I don't think there was an AS version of Hawk. But I could be wrong,.

Griff
    Griff

Some thoughts:

The basenotes on a lot of "feminine" fragrances keep them from being overtly feminine.

Some fragrances are may be too girlish for every day use by a man. I would say the classic soft florals might feel uncomfortable to a man. Vintage 'Je Reviens' by Worth is just flat out a wonderful thing to smell. If you love it, wear it on weekends with someone who is smart enough to love it for the thrilling beauty it is. Don't wear it when with narrow minded people.

If I met a man wearing a "femine" fragrance I would be impressed. I love independent men.

My husband is self-confident in a very natural way. He is an impressive guy who doesn't give any thought to what impression he makes. It is obvious to me people have a lot of respect for him. If a man really is happy with how he is living his life he is going to be as impressively confident as a man can be. Then he can wear most any fragrance he finds enjoyable.

Don't deny youself the pleasure of fragrance masterpieces. In reality the pleasure of excellent fragrances should be freely enjoyed by both genders. Thankfully we don't "genderfy" the senses of taste, touch or sound. As much as we can get away with, we should avoid "genderfying" smell (& sight).

RE: Mennen Hawk

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    Sadly, no, it is no longer in production.
    It might not have been available in Australia, I don't know. I know that there ARE fragrances that don't get international distribution, or which only have limited distribution on account of being unpopular in some places. Australian tastes and American ones are different in a lot of ways, so maybe it just didn't go over well here (just like Cherry Coke ).

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Quote Originally Posted by Strange_Accord
    Some fragrances are may be too girlish for every day use by a man. I would say the classic soft florals might feel uncomfortable to a man.
    I would agree with that. I can't imagine any man who could get away with wearing Diorissimo, for example. Dioressence, well, maybe, depending on the bloke, but Diorissimo is an old fashioned floral. Unless a man really wants to smell like a bouquet of muguet, roses, and lilac, I think it'd be overwhelming.

I also wouldn't recomment J'adore on a bloke, but I've been considering spritzing my husband with Dolce Vita and seeing how that goes on him (he won't mind; he's not worried about stuff like people thinking he's girly, because he's very obviously NOT ).

If a man really is happy with how he is living his life he is going to be as impressively confident as a man can be. Then he can wear most any fragrance he finds enjoyable.
    I agree 100%. I got my husband to try SJP Lovely (just a test) because I'd heard it'd work as a masculine fragrance and it was pretty nice on him. I asked him if he'd be bothered wearing it and he said, "Well, does it smell nice?" and I nodded and he said, "So what's the problem?" (I haven't got any around, though; I didn't like it all that much.)

Don't deny youself the pleasure of fragrance masterpieces. In reality the pleasure of excellent fragrances should be freely enjoyed by both genders. Thankfully we don't "genderfy" the senses of taste, touch or sound. As much as we can get away with, we should avoid "genderfying" smell (& sight).
    Again, I agree 100%.

And as it happens, today I'm wearing Miracle Homme and enjoying it very much.

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Some fragrances are may be too girlish for every day use by a man. *I would say the classic soft florals might feel uncomfortable to a man. *Vintage 'Je Reviens' by Worth is just flat out a wonderful thing to smell. *If you love it, wear it on weekends with someone who is smart enough to love it for the thrilling beauty it is. *Don't wear it when with narrow minded people.

If I met a man wearing a "femine" fragrance I would be impressed. *I love independent men.

My husband is self-confident in a very natural way. *He is an impressive guy who doesn't give any thought to what impression he makes. *It is obvious to me people have a lot of respect for him. *If a man really is happy with how he is living his life he is going to be as impressively confident as a man can be. *Then he can wear most any fragrance he finds enjoyable.

So if on your first date your man came along wearing a nice feminine soft floral - it would have done it for you?

Have you not been a tad remiss in not letting we poor males know about it in all the ubiquitous "What do women dig threads?" :
    Renato

Double post removed. How'd that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by bonni

It might not have been available in Australia, I don't know. I know that there ARE fragrances that don't get international distribution, or which only have limited distribution on account of being unpopular in some places. Australian tastes and American ones are different in a lot of ways, so maybe it just didn't go over well here (just like Cherry Coke ).

bonni
    How true.
    I never shed a tear over the demise of the bad Cherry Coke, and the hideous Hershey Bars (though all the other Hershey stuff was very good) - but I really, really regret the demise of Dr.Pepper's from our stores.
    What's wrong with Australians?
    Renato

Blog Entries

Double post removed. How'd that happen?
    SORRY!

We seemed to have overlapped!

I deleted your double post, turned out to be the wrong one!

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by CoL˛
    [quote author=Renato link=1144672219/105#105 date=1145086990]Double post removed. How'd that happen?
    SORRY!

We seemed to have overlapped!

I deleted your double post, turned out to be the wrong one!

Sorry[/quote]
    Hi Col,
    I'm still puzzling as to how I double posted. Anyhow, how about deleting this one, your one, and my "Double Post. How did this happen" one, and everything will go back to how it was intended?
    Thanks,
    Renato

Well, fragrance isn't the only factor in choosing a man. If a man was wearing Arpege, which I consider the ultimate tender floral, and he had my husbands other fine qualities I would think that it was quite intriguing that he was wearing it. It would be amazing, amusing and adorable.

Well, fragrance isn't the only factor in choosing a man. *If a man was wearing Arpege, which I consider the ultimate tender floral, and he had my husbands other fine qualities I would think that it was quite intriguing that he was wearing it. *It would be amazing, amusing and adorable.
    Don't forget, my question related to a first date situation, where you didn't know that the man possesses your husband's other fine qualities. He knocks at your door, presumably trying to make a good impression - and he's wearing a woman's soft, tender floral.

I know how I'd feel if the situation were reversed and I knocked on her door - saw her waiting for me all dressed up - and smelling of Quorum, Grey Flannel or Aramis.
    Renato

Dependent

I know how I'd feel too: * Adventurous fragrance choice, this is my lucky night!

Well, folks. It finally happened. I never thought it would, but here it is:

I agree with Renato.

I still don't quite believe it, but I do.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    I know how I'd feel too: * Adventurous fragrance choice, this is my lucky night!
    LOL, DocLuv!! I like the way you think....and, I couldn't agree with you more. HA! I laugh in the face of convention! BTW, I'm not ashamed to admit to having dabbed a bit of Quorum behind my ears a time or two before heading out for a night of clubbing....ohhh circa 1985-ish. Ahhh sweet youth. And no, I've never worn a mullet or even considered owning a flannel shirt. I'm a lipstick wearing feminine woman. And while my Quorum days have long since passed...my bottle of Pour Monsieur is always close at hand.

GraySwan :-*

On a lighter note: I remember once asking why the separate boards since womens fragrances are discussed on the male boards and - to a lesser extent - mens fragrances discussed on the female boards and received a reply that may explain stuff to Renato:

Girls have cooties. ;D
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by FroFro
    Girls have cooties.
    And boys are dumb.

;D

bonni
    -Karl, age 5

Well, folks. *It finally happened. *I never thought it would, but here it is:

I agree with Renato.

I still don't quite believe it, but I do. *
    What happened?
    How did that happen?
    Renato

On a lighter note: *I remember once asking why the separate boards since womens fragrances are discussed on the male boards and - to a lesser extent - mens fragrances discussed on the female boards and received a reply that may explain stuff *to Renato:

Girls have cooties. * ;D
    I remember one discussion about cooties vividly - as I did not have a clue what they were, nor what anyone was talking about - so I asked for clarification.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    I'd think,

Adventurous fragrance choice, this might be my lucky night ............mmmm but maybe a Bi girl?, this could be fun .. or weird ..............mmmmm but maybe a Trannie? ........ this might be my unluckiest of nights........... I just remembered an urgent appointment with my dentist. Bye.

I remember one discussion about cooties vividly - as I did not have a clue what they were, nor what anyone was talking about - so I asked for clarification.
    My Aussie husband had no idea what I meant when I said "Eeeuuww! Cooties!" I explained the concept to him and he said, "Ah. Girl germs. Gotcha."

bonni
    -Karl, age 5