Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    I have split this thread and put the non-fragrance portion in offtopic.

Please note we have a no-politics policy. Please bear this in mind
    That was a very diplomatic and helpful step, thanks Grant. I also appreciate, that you left the possibility open to read the political parts, for those who can't look in daily!
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=narcus link=1144672219/165#176 date=1145857575] :-/ Your soap opera comparison is not *far off, Magnifiscent: little brain and favorite situations over and over again! It does not matter if you missed out on some of this. But a good soap additionally has our heart, handkerchief and humor involved! I miss that here! *
    A really, really good soap opera has another more important element - it's compelling, you can't drag yourself away from it - which is clearly the case here.
    Thanks to all the participants.
    To the bystanders/fence sitters - it's still not too late to join in.
    Renato
    [/quote]
    Oh... I've seen this episode!
    I know what will happen in the end....
    After all this debating and arguing, Renato and Buffalo Gal will fall in love, take a trip to Las Vegas for a secret wedding with scottish (kilt) dresses (maybe he will wear mitsouko and she GIT, exchanging pefumes by accident obviously...), and a honeymoon at ceasar palace! So, don't worry Narcus, there's always an happy end...

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent
    After all this debating and arguing, Renato and Buffalo Gal will fall in love, take a trip to Las Vegas for a secret wedding with scottish (kilt) dresses (maybe he will wear mitsouko and she GIT, exchanging pefumes by accident obviously...), and a honeymoon at ceasar palace! So, don't worry Narcus, there's always an happy end...

HEY!!!! My character was written out of this soap a few pages back in the script. AND, while we are all privy to the fact that often characters are brought back from the dead in soap Operas.....the actress who plays Buffalo Gal has refused to renew her contract with the show........all further comments will be made by her publicist
    Thank you all for watching "Scent of our Lives"

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo_Gal
    [quote author=Magnifiscent link=1144672219/180#181 date=1145876022]

HEY!!!! *My character was written out of this soap a few pages back in the script. AND, while we are all privy to the fact that often characters are brought back from the dead in soap Operas.....the actress who plays Buffalo Gal has refused to renew her contract with the show........all further comments will be made by her publicist
    Thank you all for watching "Scent of our Lives" [/quote]
    Ops, I missed it... :-[
    ;D ;D ;D
    I was sure not to have offended such smart persons joking with your characters in "Scent of our lives"...
    BTW, I've heard they're looking for a face for the IFF CEO role, so can ya put in a good word for me? ;D

The denouement was coming along well till it got to the part about what happened to my GIT.
    I can see a spin off:
    CSI - Crime Smell Investigation.
    Renato

I tried the "soft, tender, floral" Arpege by lanvin today at sephora. It was very nice but it isnt something that i would feel really comfortable wearing. I like the ship design on the bottle too. I tried Island too again (i've been through two bottles already). i want another bottle of it. And i also tried Miss Dior Cherie. It smells like a strawberry patch and something i could defiinitely wear. All of the aldehyde fragrances i have tried are probably a little to much for a guy to wear. Lightly worn, though, it might work. I probably wouldnt try it though.
    Awesomeguy

Quote Originally Posted by rosbergs3
    I tried the "soft, tender, floral" Arpege by lanvin today at sephora. *It was very nice but it isnt something that i would feel really comfortable wearing. * I like the ship design on the bottle too. *I tried Island too again (i've been through two bottles already). *i want another bottle of it. *And i also tried Miss Dior Cherie. *It smells like a strawberry patch and something i could defiinitely wear. *All of the aldehyde fragrances i have tried are probably a little to much for a guy to wear. *Lightly worn, though, it might work. *I probably wouldnt try it though. *
    Perry Ellis 360 degrees, Tommy T and Versace Time to Relax are all excellent aldehydic ones, in decreasing order of aldehyde strength. Tried any of those?
    Renato

Wear womens fragrances or don't based on what you like.
    Be true to yourself and let the chips fall where they may.

...- by definition "Unisex" mean's it's a men's fragrance.
    Renato
    While I am thinking about finalizing my view on your remaining suggestions (where to discuss what within this forum) I would like to ask you a favour: please elaborate on 'the' definition of unsisex. I really do not know if the above reflects your kind of humor, or what else?

'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

just for the sake of logic, your definition of unisex, Renato it's simply true!!!
    Here's the demonstration:

(1) uni-sex = (men_stuff [ch8745] women_stuff) (by definition)
    universe = (men_stuff U women_stuff) (by definition)

so I can say according to set theory

(2) men_stuff *= (universe\women_stuff) U (men_stuff [ch8745] women_stuff)

So according to your lemma

(3) men_stuff > unisex

which accord to the previous lemma (2) as long as the next lemma does:

(4) women_stuff > unisex

so we can equally say the equally true affirmation that

by definition "Unisex" means it's a woman fragrance.

my 2 cents...

just for the sake of logic, your definition of unisex, Renato it's simply true!!!

* * universe = (men_stuff U women_stuff) (by definition)

(3) men_stuff > unisex

(4) women_stuff > unisex

my 2 cents...
    Oh, thank you Mag, I can see clearly now!

( :-? :-/ :-?)

Quote Originally Posted by Vinterdroppe
    [quote author=Magnifiscent link=1144672219/180#189 date=1146044476]just for the sake of logic, your definition of unisex, Renato it's simply true!!!

* * universe = (men_stuff U women_stuff) (by definition)

(3) men_stuff > unisex

(4) women_stuff > unisex

my 2 cents...
    Oh, thank you Mag, I can see clearly now!

( :-? :-/ :-?)[/quote]

:

hope it's more clear now...

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    [quote author=Renato link=1144672219/165#175 date=1145854732] ...- by definition "Unisex" mean's it's a men's fragrance.
    Renato
    While I am thinking about finalizing my view on your remaining suggestions (where to discuss what within this forum) *I would like to ask you a favour: please elaborate on 'the' definition of unsisex. I really do not know if the above reflects your kind of humor, or what else?

[/quote]
    According to my dictionary - "Unisex - a style of dress etc, which does not adhere to the traditional differentiations between the sexes".

Thus, by definition it is intended for men, making it a men's fragrance (and intended for women, making it a women's fragrance) in the context of the two boards.

I think some confusion arises because of the similarity in its form, but difference in meaning to the next word in my dictionary - "unisexual".
    Renato

I didn't even see this thread until now (not sure that happened), but to answer one of Renato's original questions: Yes, I will freely admit to anyone that I'm wearing a woman's perfume if I am wearing one. I agree it's a form of subtle crossdressing, and I honestly don't mind that. I like my perfumes, and my colognes and it doesn't matter to me what "gender" it is supposed to be. Can't we all just get along!?

Besides, I believe we all can like what we want, and it just happens that a woman's perfume is my absolute favorite. I've not found a fragranec to even begin to challenge it for it's throne, so that's what really matters to me. Maybe someday I'll find a man's fragrance that's better, but until that day I'll glad smell like a pretty girl.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by Informer

I didn't even see this thread until now (not sure that happened), but to answer one of Renato's original questions: Yes, I will freely admit to anyone that I'm wearing a woman's perfume if I am wearing one. *I agree it's a form of subtle crossdressing, and I honestly don't mind that. *I like my perfumes, and my colognes and it doesn't matter to me what "gender" it is supposed to be. *Can't we all just get along!?

Besides, I believe we all can like what we want, and it just happens that a woman's perfume is my absolute favorite. *I've not found a fragranec to even begin to challenge it for it's throne, so that's what really matters to me. *Maybe someday I'll find a man's fragrance that's better, but until that day I'll glad smell like a pretty girl.
    It's amazing you missed this thread to date, but good to have your input. I appreciate your candor on the matter.
    Renato

I tried the "soft, tender, floral" Arpege by lanvin today at sephora. *It was very nice but it isnt something that i would feel really comfortable wearing. * I like the ship design on the bottle too. *I tried Island too again (i've been through two bottles already). *i want another bottle of it. *And i also tried Miss Dior Cherie. *It smells like a strawberry patch and something i could defiinitely wear. *All of the aldehyde fragrances i have tried are probably a little to much for a guy to wear. *Lightly worn, though, it might work. *I probably wouldnt try it though. *
    It's not a ship, it's a mother with child. But I agree, it looks like a pair of sails at least.

I didn't even see this thread until now (not sure that happened), but to answer one of Renato's original questions: Yes, I will freely admit to anyone that I'm wearing a woman's perfume if I am wearing one. I agree it's a form of subtle crossdressing, and I honestly don't mind that. I like my perfumes, and my colognes and it doesn't matter to me what "gender" it is supposed to be. Can't we all just get along!?
    Besides, I believe we all can like what we want, and it just happens that a woman's perfume is my absolute favorite. I've not found a fragranec to even begin to challenge it for it's throne, so that's what really matters to me. Maybe someday I'll find a man's fragrance that's better, but until that day I'll glad smell like a pretty girl.
    According to Renato, all of us would get along even better if posters discussing and 'espousing' (!) feminine fragrances would not use 'Male Fragrance Discussion' for that. Discussing feminine scents here, Renato considers as a kind of abuse of the board. Renatos argument: caption and guideline for the other board - "Female Fragrance Discussion / this board is for the discussion of feminine fragrances".
    In reply 178 of April 24, Renato grants us several exceptions which are anything but easy to understand, in fact caused me a headache :
    „I see no problem with discussing feminine scents which have been misclassified (meaning that they were pretty close to the edge, I in fact pointed out that there's been a trend with niche houses making a different sort of unisex style scent, which instead of being devoid of traditional male and female scent ingredients, instead combines both - (and confuses quite a few).“
    8-) This is clear for everybody else, I trust! But I am afraid, Informer, unless someone comes along and declares Coco as misclassified, you have also violated the rules seriously!

According to Renato, all of us would get along even better if posters discussing and 'espousing' (!) feminine fragrances would not use 'Male Fragrance Discussion' for that. Discussing feminine scents here, Renato considers as a kind of abuse of the board. Renatos argument: caption and *guideline for *the other board - *"Female Fragrance Discussion / this board is for the discussion of feminine fragrances".
    In reply 178 of April 24, Renato grants us several exceptions which are anything but easy to understand, in fact caused me a headache :
    „I see no problem with discussing feminine scents which have been misclassified (meaning that they were pretty close to the edge, I in fact pointed out that there's been a trend with niche houses making a different sort of unisex style scent, which instead of being devoid of traditional male and female scent ingredients, instead combines both - (and confuses quite a few).“
    8-) *This is clear for everybody else, I trust! * But I am afraid, Informer, unless someone comes along and declares Coco as misclassified, you have also violated the rules seriously!
    Yes indeed.

I think it would indeed be good if the original status quo were maintained, and Men's Fragrances were discussed in the Men's Fragrance discussion.

However, you state that Informer has violated the rules seriously. The statement is factually incorrect, as I do not make any rules.
    Renato

[quote author=narcus link=1144672219/180#188 date=1146041214][quote author=Renato link=1144672219/165#175 date=1145854732] ...- by definition "Unisex" mean's it's a men's fragrance.
    Renato
    ..please elaborate on 'the' definition of unsisex. I really do not know if the above reflects your kind of humor, or what else?[/color][/quote]
    According to my dictionary - "Unisex - a style of dress etc, which does not adhere to the traditional differentiations between the sexes".
    Thus, by definition it is intended for men, making it a men's fragrance (and intended for women, making it a women's fragrance) in the context of the two boards.
    I think some confusion arises because of the similarity in its form, but difference in meaning to the next word in my dictionary - "unisexual".
    Renato[/quote]

Thanks, Renato - that was a big help. Could you go a step further now, and agree to the broader definition, including the duality of the term within the definition itself? It is shown here for "unisex" (the adj.): http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dicti...&va=unisex

This might serve as a common basis. Alternative: as most of us seem to have no problem with the various Basenotes board definitions, maybe it would also be possible to evade 'unisex' misunderstandings by agreeing on the Basenotes term 'shared' instead. I also prefer that because it is neutral concerning the quality of scent and user. This would certainly be on line with Basenotes' rather careful term of classifications (three) : "(xy scent) is suitable for..." I like to think these more modern terms have been introduced by people who knew exactly what they were doing. Just suggestions here, you choose what you prefer.

Thanks, Renato - that was a big help. Could you go a step further now, and agree to the broader definition, including the duality of the term within the definition itself? It is shown here for "unisex" (the adj.): *http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dicti...&va=unisex

This might serve as a common basis. Alternative: as most of us seem to have no problem with the various Basenotes board definitions, maybe it would also be possible to evade 'unisex' misunderstandings by agreeing on the Basenotes term 'shared' instead. I also prefer that because it is neutral concerning the quality of scent and user. This would certainly be on line with *Basenotes' rather careful term of classifications (three) : "(xy scent) is suitable for..." I like to think these more modern terms have been introduced by people who knew exactly what they were doing. Just suggestions here, you choose what you prefer.

Look in again please! *I shall reply to #197 within the next hour here
    Well, it says "2 : suitable or designed for both males and females <unisex clothes " .
    I certainly have no problem with this definition - the clear implication being that other things are suitable or designed for males and females exclusively.
    Which accords pretty much with what I've been saying from the beginning.
    Renato

I didn't even see this thread until now (not sure that happened), but to answer one of Renato's original questions: Yes, I will freely admit to anyone that I'm wearing a woman's perfume if I am wearing one. *I agree it's a form of subtle crossdressing, and I honestly don't mind that. *I like my perfumes, and my colognes and it doesn't matter to me what "gender" it is supposed to be. *Can't we all just get along!?

Besides, I believe we all can like what we want, and it just happens that a woman's perfume is my absolute favorite. *I've not found a fragranec to even begin to challenge it for it's throne, so that's what really matters to me. *Maybe someday I'll find a man's fragrance that's better, but until that day I'll glad smell like a pretty girl.
    And what perfume is your favorite Informer?????
    Awesomeguy

[quote author=narcus link=1144672219/195#198 date=1146126228]
    Thanks, Renato - that was a big help. Could you go a step further now, and agree to the broader definition, including the duality of the term within the definition itself? It is shown here for "unisex" (the adj.): http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dicti...&va=unisex

This might serve as a common basis. Alternative: as most of us seem to have no problem with the various Basenotes board definitions, maybe it would also be possible to evade 'unisex' misunderstandings by agreeing on the Basenotes term 'shared' instead. I also prefer that because it is neutral concerning the quality of scent and user. This would certainly be on line with Basenotes' rather careful term of classifications (three) : "(xy scent) is suitable for..." I like to think these more modern terms have been introduced by people who knew exactly what they were doing. Just suggestions here, you choose what you prefer.
    Well, it says "2 : suitable or designed for both males and females <unisex clothes " .
    I certainly have no problem with this definition - the clear implication being that other things are suitable or designed for males and females exclusively.
    Which accords pretty much with what I've been saying from the beginning.
    Renato [/quote]
    Ok, let me be the knit picker for a change, it’s necessary for a good reason:

From Merriam, as a noun - ‚the state or condition of not being distinguishable (as by hair or clothing) as to sex‘
    (we forget that here).

From Merriam, as an adjective (I believe both, 1 & 2 together, make a useful definition):

1 : ‚not distinguishable as male or female <a unisex face>‘
    2 : ‚suitable or designed for both males and females <unisex clothes>‘

Proper examples from the fragrance world might be (totally subjective, based on perception):

1 : not distinguishable as male or female, < Eau de Cologne 4711, or Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca >
    2 : suitable or designed for both males and females < Malles‘ Lys Méditerrannée, or Hermes Herba Tonka >

I believe that subcategory (1) will cause less debate generally than (2). Personally, I next to immediately have my own idea about a scent labelled/meant to be unisex, sub (2) as I will smell mostly (f), and sometimes (m)!

In the light of this, some colognes or perfumes may be viewed as clearly mislabelled. For example I do not see why Happy for Men should not be suitable for women also. And if one of Divine's gorgeous male scents had been launched as feminine, or shared - who would have protested? Voleur de Roses also is a male fragrance. Could anybody seriously suggest, it would be less proper to discuss these scents on the female fragrance board?

Sanzio

First of all, who decides what is for males or females is my nose. Second, I wear fragrances for myself and do not care about others thinking I am wearing females scents. Third, wear what pleases you and BE happy!

Proper examples from the fragrance world might be (totally subjective, based on perception):

* *1 : not distinguishable as male or female, < Eau de Cologne 4711, or Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca > *
    * *2 : suitable or designed for both males and females < *Malles‘ Lys Méditerrannée, or Hermes Herba Tonka >

I believe that subcategory (1) will cause less debate generally than (2). Personally, I next to immediately have my own idea about a scent labelled/meant to be unisex, sub (2) as I will smell mostly (f), and sometimes (m)!

In the light of this, some colognes or perfumes may be viewed as clearly mislabelled. *For example I do not see why Happy for Men should not be suitable for women also. And if one of Divine's gorgeous male scents had been launched as feminine, or shared - who would have protested? Voleur de Roses also is a male fragrance. Could anybody seriously suggest, it would be less proper to discuss these scents on the female fragrance board? *[/color]

4711 - a feminine scent to me.
    Voleur de Roses a male scent? You can check my immutable postings on this one over the last four years about this supposed unisex scent. It's unisex for about 10 minutes, then becomes something pretty feminine to my nose.

Anyhow, I'm not quite sure what the thrust of what you are saying is meant to demonstrate. You pick some unisex scents and some male citrus scents and say that no one could say there's anything wrong with them being discussed on the Feminine fragrance discussion board.
    And I'm supposed to see the error of my mistaken ideas from that?

What you've done is pick some scents at the edges to try demonstrate your position. But when I check the feminine fragrance discussion site I don't see any woman in deep discussion with another about how great Polo Men was on her last night. Nor do I see any woman stating how Fendi Uomo is just so much better made than Fendi regular (the women's one), and that she only wears the former, and wouldn't wear the latter. Where's all the "I bought Paco Rabanne Pour Homme blind, tell me what to expect" threads in the Feminine fragrance discussion board, coupled with all the enthusiastic supportive comments from the other posters? Not one word about how well Blenheim's Bouquet and its refreshing pine smell works works wonders in her office job. Where's all the "I find strong woods and leathery tobacco scents so sensuous, a sheer delight to wear, and I encourage all you ladies to try Quorum" threads?

If such postings were there, I'd suggest they would be better placed in the Men's Fragrance discussion board.
    Renato

I think it would indeed be good if the original status quo were maintained, and Men's Fragrances were discussed in the Men's Fragrance discussion.
    However, you state that Informer has violated the rules seriously. The statement is factually incorrect, as I do not make any rules.
    Renato
    My comment on Informer‘s ‚serious violation of rules‘ was meant jokingly, Renato! It is self understood that you do not make them, and I did not say you do. Just yesterday, in reply #188, I called your extensive efforts to get us members place our posts ‚more properly‘ (like you) - suggestions! One part of your numerous posts deals with the little that is there to interpret for us: the caption of two (in three) fragrance boards, and a guideline of nine words! The women’s fragrance board was launched in August 2004. Since then – has there ever been a similar discusion before? It surprises me, that the discussion of female fragrances on the male frag board (which certainly occured during my 15 months with basenotes) should be a problem now!

Evidently, the written text, or your interpretation of same, will never be enough to cover all eventualities. Outside resources and comparisons, so far, did not help either. I do not understand your motivation, and yet – up to a point - I have been with you all the time! You had good points and arguments. The simplicity of your concept was a winning aspect! But as a whole, I am afraid, your concept cannot succed because reality is more complex than first seen, and peoples‘ opinions are – fortunately – rather manifold! Some of the replies you received were not like I would have given them, others were. Your bulk dismissal, or criticism of arguments I just let go past. I hope there will be more occasions to discuss matters with you – it’s fun! I still think we are the expert consumers, and you are right, there is an elite of members and general experts among us! Designer-niche, if that will come up once more, I shall be glad to join in again!

I just notice there is another reply from you - I am too slow, forgive! I want to let my respect come thru together with my criticism concerning selected arguments. I also want to be constructive, and choose words so they do not destroy. It does take time and effort when English is not your mother tongue! Yes, I selected my examples with care, but not to win an argument. I intended to demonstrate how complicated, perhaps absurd a change of policy, new suggestions (whatever you want to call it) could get. Please do not forget, this is about a long term modification of what exists. It is not about Narcus trying to 'win' over Renato, or anyone with similar ideas (if he voiced them). Supposing your suggestions were adopted: wouldn't there be endless arguments which cologne is 'on the edge' or deemed mislabeled? A better situation, or more work for our moderators ?
    I might be justified to say more but consider you a friend. Why not leave it at that?

Narcus

http://www.laboutiquedelartisanparfu...thirdlevel=121
    Voleur de Roses
    Une eau de toilette qui évoque l’odeur de la terre fraîche dans le sous-bois après la pluie, mêlée aux effluves de roses fraîches. Un parfum frais et chaud à la fois, tendre et gourmand. Un mariage inattendu pour un masculin original.

"Stolen Rose" / An eau de toilette that evokes the smell of earth after rainfall mixed with the fragrance of fresh roses. A perfume that is both sweet and warm. Voleur de Rose is an undoubtedly original masculine fragrance!

One could suppose that this thread is also in violation of the rules, since we are inherently discussing woman's fragrances!

(To answer someone's question, Coco Chanel is my favorite scent...the uh, Pour Monsieur, of course!)
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

I tried the "soft, tender, floral" Arpege by lanvin today at sephora. It was very nice but it isnt something that i would feel really comfortable wearing.
    I have long thought that it was sad that men did not get to wear the pretty fragrances women wear so freely. It simply seems like an unfortunate accident of history and culture. I just bought Worth's Je Reviens recently (vintage in my case - readily available in parfum on ebay). It was was a truly, truly lovely experience when I put it on. I think men should at least consider enjoying some feminine fragrances in private. We have so much variety in our selections. We are rich with options.

[I have long thought that it was sad that men did not get to wear the pretty fragrances women wear so freely. It simply seems like an unfortunate accident of history and culture. *I just bought Worth's Je Reviens recently (vintage in my case - readily available in parfum on ebay). *It was was a truly, truly lovely experience when I put it on. *I think men should at least consider enjoying some feminine fragrances in private. *We have so much variety in our selections. *We are rich with options.[/quote]

I agree with you 1000000%. That is why i wear womens fragrances. They are to nice not to wear. And there are to many crappy men's fragrances to wear unfortunately. But wear women's fragrances in private??????? That's no fun. :'( :'( :'(
    Awesomeguy

But wear women's fragrances in private??????? That's no fun. :'( :'( :'(
    Oh, I just met if it is too uncomfortable to go out in public with them. I read that in the 19th century some men in the Aesthetic Movement (AM) would retire to their room, close the door and focus on experiencing nice fragrances. At Wikipedia there is an article on Oscar Wilde.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Wilde#Aestheticism)

It talks about his involvement with the AM. I love this quote from the Wikipedia article,

"While at Magdalen College, Wilde became particularly well known for his role in the aesthetic and decadent movements. He began wearing his hair long and openly scorning so-called "manly" sports, and began decorating his rooms with peacock feathers, lilies, sunflowers, blue china and other objets d'art."

Wishing you lovely experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I don't agree that Perfumer's are the experts to be consulting with on gender divide issues. They haven't researched and studied it. The experts are those researchers who have studied the differences between male and female brains, and the psychologists who have studied male and female psychology. For two decades the world was drawn into the feminist mantra that there was no difference between males and females - a philosophy which is still disastrously popular among administrators - but which rapidly evolving technology and subsequent science has shown to be incorrect.
    Perfumers may espouse their egalitarian ideals all they want, but they don't make much money trying to market wood and leather scents to women, and purely floral scents to men.
    Sorry to bring this long thread up again, but I just spent half an hour reading this interesting topic. I must agree with Renato - the queer theory is really tiring. When I wear my Après L'Ondée, L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko, Shalimar or Chamade, I feel entirely surrounded by a woman's scent.

But it's just so much more fun to discuss them in the Men's forum. In the Women's forum I only get polite replies (both from women and men). It seems that people are just more frank in the Men's forum. So can I pleeeaaase continue posting about feminine scents here? Or would everyone hate it?

I'm glad this topic has come up again as a few days ago I bought 50ml Eau de Parfum of Euphoria, I love the scent and can't get enough of it although it is the only marketed-towards-women fragrance in my collection. It does have a masucline edge to it but what the hell should it matter what people think? Please yourself as you only live once!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    I must agree with Renato - the queer theory is really tiring. When I wear my Après L'Ondée, L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko, Shalimar or Chamade, I feel entirely surrounded by a woman's scent. So can I pleeeaaase continue posting about feminine scents here? Or would everyone hate it?
    I certainly appreciate your Guerlain insights. I'm not sure what you mean by "the queer theory", perhaps you can clarify. Personally, I use quite a few feminine scents and unisex scents. I feel that something very odd happened in the 1980's, those horrible Ronald Reagan/Margaret Thatcher/Dallas/giant shoulder pad years, men's fragrances became reactionary clichés of male power. I either like something or I don't. When I wear a unisex fragrance I feel like Thin White Duke-era David Bowie.

By the queer theory I just mean the theory that gender is entirely a social construction.

What I liked about the 1980's was the opposite actually: finally men could wear eyeliner and high heels. AND women's perfumes. But they are still women's perfumes. And GOSH I love them. Chamade has totally stolen the throne from Habit Rouge in my bedroom.

Wink Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

By the queer theory I just mean the theory that gender is entirely a social construction.

What I liked about the 1980's was the opposite actually: finally men could wear eyeliner and high heels. AND women's perfumes. But they are still women's perfumes. And GOSH I love them. Chamade has totally stolen the throne from Habit Rouge in my bedroom.
    I couldn't agree more with you on the above. But, America wasn't so open to the 80's Androgyne. You could listen to the Culture Club, Eurythmics, but it was dangerous to look like them. I think things are breaking down here more these days. Many of the young guys are super thin and feminine, but at the same time they sport beards. I guess it's a neo-hippie look. The American girls seem to be more conservative these days - they like to be blonde and girly. I like your Avatar photo, the pipe is a nice touch.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 29th August 2007 at 09:55 PM.

Basenotes Institution

But it's just so much more fun to discuss them in the Men's forum. In the Women's forum I only get polite replies (both from women and men). It seems that people are just more frank in the Men's forum. So can I pleeeaaase continue posting about feminine scents here? Or would everyone hate it?
    Yes, of course Mr. Guerlain - you will find many men (and women) here in the Mens forum open to discussing fragrances marketed to women.

I just bought a mini bottle of Poison by Dior (Esprit de Parfum strength) a couple days ago. It's so powerful, a single drop on my left hand scented me for 4 hours. Took me back immediately to the 80's...women I worked with in my 1st job, friends of my mother, etc. Amazing stuff.

Love your new avatar too, Mr. Guerlain.

All I know is that I get OODLES of compliments from BOTH genders whenever I wear Shalimar and Tabac Blond. Neither one smells "feminine" on me at all -- the Shalimar is very spicy on me; the Tabac Blond is very leather-y and tobacco-y.

Hell, yeah, I'll wear whatever I like AND gets me compliments.
    (If that makes me the olfactory equivalent of a drag queen, well, then, there ya have it.)

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Not Males wearing Female Fragrances but "People wearing Fragrances" stop! The question in the year of grace 2007 simply does not exist...

Ciao, mr.setter
    http://basenotes.net/wardrobe/8905

"Il profumo dei fiori non puo' andare controvento, ma il profumo delle buone azioni compiute da uomini virtuosi si effonde in tutte le direzioni."[Dhammapada]

this thread is a trainwreck

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mr.setter View Post
    Not Males wearing Female Fragrances but "People wearing Fragrances" stop! The question in the year of grace 2007 simply does not exist...

Ciao, mr.setter
    That's for damn sure.

Evolved beings think for themselves and wear whatever perfume/fragrance they feel like.
    Last edited by pluran; 30th August 2007 at 01:24 AM.

For the ones who joined BN later: this board had originally been called "Male Fragrance Discussion - For the discussion of men's fragrances." The 'crossdressers battle' going forward and backwards here during a whole month in 2006 finally caused a change to the board's definition. Since then it's been hammered in writing (look at the top of this page ): "This board is for the discussion of men's fragrances and fragrances worn by men".

...and thus one of the biggest controversies has been peacefully settled.
    Last edited by narcus; 30th August 2007 at 12:38 PM.

Yes, we are many people glad about this change in heading for the forums!

Why not ? Today I am wearing the excelent VIVARA ( female fragrance ) from Emilio Pucci and I like it a lot...If you like a fragrance you can wear it even if it is a female fragrance !

Hmm... I love Aigner Black for women... its sexy.

Fragrance molecules don't have a gender. If you enjoy something, by all means, wear it. You may chose to wear it 'discretely' but you shouldn't deny yourself the pleasure of wearing a fragrance you love simply because of who it's marketed to. That's silly.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromManhattan View Post
    I would not wear a woman's fragrance for any reason.

Someone in public or even worse, who I know, may smell it on me, recognize it and wonder why I'm wearing a woman's fragrance. I read the opinions here about unisex frangrances, some smelling similiar, it's all marketing etc. etc., but I still believe that women's fragrances are made to make women smell feminine.

I wear fragrances to enhance my image as a gentleman. A woman's fragrance obviously will do nothing to contribute to that image.

Jasmin Noir by Bvlgari, Escale a Portofino by Dior, various Shalimar and No. 19 concentrations and flankers, Tom Ford Black Orchid, Ispahan by Yves Rocher are only a few of the scents I could easily imagine being worn by men (there was also a simply divine female fragrance by Jaguar, far more unisex or masculine due to the citric notes, but somehow, I cannot seem to detect it within the fragrance directory)

If they smell nice and feel comfortable to wear, can't see who could stop me. Indeed apart from Rochas Femme, Jolie Madame and, the very pink Miss Balmain I usually quickly forget that they were sold as pour femme as it says nothing on the bottles.

----

Quote Originally Posted by roman View Post
    Fragrance molecules don't have a gender. If you enjoy something, by all means, wear it. You may chose to wear it 'discretely' but you shouldn't deny yourself the pleasure of wearing a fragrance you love simply because of who it's marketed to. That's silly.
    I tend to agree with this. The gender a fragrance is marketed to has little to do with the actual smell, and it shouldn't dictate whether you wear it or not.

On the other hand, I think there is such as thing as 'masculine' and 'feminine' traits in a scent, if for no other reason than we've associated certain scents with a gender due to social cues from an early age. Generally, you don't smell gasoline and think of a women, and likewise you don't smell strawberry shortcake on a bed of gardenias and think of a man.

That said, a man can certainly pull off feminine scents, and a woman can pull off masculine scents. Also, 'masculine' and 'feminine' might mean different things depending on your culture and where you are.

It'd be nice to move away from these labels all together (e.g. I think I read a post where Hedonist222 referred to a scent as 'soft' instead of 'feminine'). Yet it is generally understood what is meant when someone calls a scent masculine or feminine, and sometimes those words just work most efficiently.

I guess that's okay, as long you remember that a man can wear a feminine scent, and a woman a masculine scent. Wear what smells good to you that you're comfortable with, that is the ultimate test.

If I knew who originally posted the statement, I would give them the credit due.

Since when does perfume have genitalia?
    - Expect the unexpected

I think it depends on the guy and his age. Some guys have a softer look to them and feminine fragrances work with their personality. Do you know many guys used ANGEL in the 90's??? There is nothing wrong with it. It works for them.

The other day I tried Tunisian Jasmine for the first time and it blew me away. If I was younger and softer looking I might have bought it. However being 42 and a 210 lbs hairy greek/turkish male it just doesn't work for me. Another poster previously mentioned that he would be uncomfortable if a women recognized the smell. I agree.

I am jealous of the guys that can pull it off. IMO female scents these days are way more interesting than their male counterparts.

Here we go again. Five years have elapsed and people are still trying to claim that scents aren't masculine or feminine, and they do so by nominating a couple of handfuls of women's scents that some apparently like wearing to "prove" their point, or citing some very limited applications.

Only problem is there are tens of thousands of women's scents that don't cut the grade, and are totally ignored by male wearers of feminine scents.

When was the last time a guy posted here how his girlfriend bought him a bottle of Brittany Spears Fantasy, and he just loves wearing it, and he has received dozens of compliments, and women are throwing themselves all over him?

When was the last time a guy posted here how his mom had bought him a bottle of Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely Twighlight, and how it's a fantastic clubbing scent on his nights out, and it has made his life more meaningful?

When all these thousands of very popular women's scents (popular amongst women, that is) start regularly getting worn by males and posted about on this board in the same way that the men's scents currently are, I may have to reconsider my position. But I think that may be some time off yet. Designers of designer scents are out to make money. They won't deliberately waste their money making women's type scents for men who won't buy them.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Here we go again. Five years have elapsed and people are still trying to claim that scents aren't masculine or feminine, and they do so by nominating a couple of handfuls of women's scents that some apparently like wearing to "prove" their point, or citing some very limited applications.

Only problem is there are tens of thousands of women's scents that don't cut the grade, and are totally ignored by male wearers of feminine scents.

When was the last time a guy posted here how his girlfriend bought him a bottle of Brittany Spears Fantasy, and he just loves wearing it, and he has received dozens of compliments, and women are throwing themselves all over him?

When was the last time a guy posted here how his mom had bought him a bottle of Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely Twighlight, and how it's a fantastic clubbing scent on his nights out, and it has made his life more meaningful?

When all these thousands of very popular women's scents (popular amongst women, that is) start regularly getting worn by males and posted about on this board in the same way that the men's scents currently are, I may have to reconsider my position. But I think that may be some time off yet. Designers of designer scents are out to make money. They won't deliberately waste their money making women's type scents for men who won't buy them.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Renato, I agree with some of what you say.

But before we get into that, I have to point out that you picked possibly two of the worst scents known to mankind (I assume). I mean, if your girlfriend bought you Ryan Seacrest Fierce or your mom bought you Russel Brand Moody Midnight (I might've just made those up), I doubt they would garner compliments or make your life more meaningful. There are probably equal numbers of bad fragrances on both sides of the aisle that the majority of us here at basenotes would never wear.

That said, I get your point about the existence of masculine and feminine traits in a fragrance. As I said earlier, I think these traits do exist, because of both cultural cues and associations we make tied to our histories and experiences. And it does affect sales.

I highly doubt a 45 yr old corporate tycoon is going to pick up a fragrance that smells like a cotton candy strawberry sundae poured over gardenias and then sprinkled with rose petals into the boardroom. Then again, he MIGHT wear it in the comfort of his own home, or even out taking a stroll in a park, and it's his every right to do so.

Likewise, Knize Ten, Kouros, Antaeus, and Yatagan get a lot of positive talk here, yet I don't see lots of women rushing out to wear them. Again, they are certainly welcome to if they like to smell like that and feel comfortable wearing it. But most will choose not too because they will feel it doesn't suit them.

So while gender can be a tricky thing here, I personally believe that certain smells are culturally considered masculine or feminine. If cultures were to suddenly and dramatically shift, those notions could change, but for now it's hard to deny those two adjectives represent something that is commonly understood among most people. Maybe someday that will evolve, I'm sure Starfleet Federation has all unisex fragrances on board their starships. But for now, I guess we can all agree to disagree.

Ultimately, if you like the smell of something, and feel comfortable wearing, then do it. Marketing be damned.
    Last edited by hobbes22; 15th September 2011 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hatrang89 View Post
    I've read over and over how Kingdom can be worn by males - so much so that I bought it for my ladyfriend - who expressed astonishment that any male would want to be smelled dead wearing it.
    I bought Kingdom for my then ladyfriend, now wife. She expressed the same astonishment.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by shadesofbleu; 15th September 2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: spamming website link removed

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    So while gender can be a tricky thing here, I personally believe that certain smells are inherently masculine or feminine. If cultures were to suddenly and dramatically shift, those notions could change, but for now it's hard to deny those two adjectives represent something that is commonly understood among most people. Maybe someday that will change, I'm sure Starfleet Federation has all unisex fragrances on board their starships. But for now, I guess we can all agree to disagree.
    Thanks. I don't know that certain smells are inherently masculine or feminine, rather that - at least in the cultures I grew up in - girls were more likely to play with flowers (they then like floral scents) while boys were more likely to be climbing trees, playing with sticks and whittling wood (they then like woody scents). That may well change as where people grow up nowadays, things are getting more concreted. But I don't think your thoughts differ that greatly from mine.

As for Starfleet. It all depends on whether you are talking about Kirk's Starfleet or Picard's one.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 15th September 2011 at 06:05 PM.

I'm not sure if it is the scent itself that makes some female frags rather hard to wear for men or just the vibe they give of. I would somewhat doubt the playing with flowers/wood theory tbh. Female fragrances that smell fine on women, or on paper, also smell fine on a man. But just like listening to e.g. Dido would feel a bit soppy and soft and unmanly, so would wearing certain scents. I would agree with the above statement that they don't smell feminine but softer, gentler.

Additionally there is, of course, also the experience of smelling certain scents on most of your teenage girlfriends (which spoils all the white flower scents for me, which immediately bring females to my mind) and the surprisingly strong urge in most people to conform to society's expectations. "I would be embarrassed if somebody recognized that I am wearing a female scent". Why? What would happen? Nothing? Exactly. Fear of freedom, I believe, some call it.

I don't wear female marketed frags, but I'm happy if others do or talk about how much enjoyment it brings them.

Whatever makes people smile is cool with me.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

oh come on now He-Man in drag disco dolly scene - ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    ............and the surprisingly strong urge in most people to conform to society's expectations. "I would be embarrassed if somebody recognized that I am wearing a female scent". Why? What would happen? Nothing? Exactly. Fear of freedom, I believe, some call it.
    I don't totally agree with the notion that society has expectations about what scent to wear. Yes, there are male and female scents associated with underarm deodorants and some shampoos, but generally speaking, most people don't wear fragrances.

As for "Why? What would happen?" - you are 100% correct, nothing would happen - be it with fragrances or a lot of other little conventions people impose on themselves.
    Regards,
    Renato

Is it official thread necromancy week or something?

It's nothing like crossdressing--a bra or a pair of heels physically alter the body to make certain parts pop out.

Perfume is largely an exercise in abstraction and particular smells are only gendered by association, but most regrettably, by the bottle design. I think the more you look into the history of smells and perfume, the more you'll see how scents are perceived (and also gendered) differently across cultures and times. The mutability is fascinating and one of the reasons I am hooked on perfumes.
    Last edited by eov8b; 15th September 2011 at 06:11 PM.