Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: Males Wearing Female Fragrances.

I like Creed's Jasmal as it is more unisex I think, but most companies shy away from labeling things unisex because they don't think any one in this day and age will them.

Quote Originally Posted by roman View Post
    Fragrance molecules don't have a gender.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaconneur View Post
    Since when does perfume have genitalia?
    I don't understand why people got so upset with the thesis proposed by the OP 5 years ago. In short, he suggested that wearing opposite-sex-targeted fragrance is a form of cross-dressing.

Proposers of cross-scenting (if I may call it that) argue that scent don't naturally have gender.

Funnily, colors, fibers, fabric, etc, doesn't have gender either, but people are much more willing to accept that certain clothes are "female" clothes and others are "male" clothes.

Why don't you also adhere to the "if it looks good on me I'll wear it" the same way you adhere to "if it smells good on me I'll wear it"?

Notice that only because the social norms about male/female dress codes are more ingrained in people's minds and more widely shared it doesn't mean that they are less of social norms than the gender of scents.

So, to me the argument "perfume has no genitalia" is not good to reject the thesis that males (females) wearing female (male) scents is akin to cross-dressing.

Is cross-scenting more accepted in society than cross-dressing? It looks like it is and this is why most people around here so promptly accept it and adhere to it.

Not only that, but since most people are NOT educated on fragrances as much (and from as early in life) as they are on dressing, cross-scenting becomes more difficult to detect.

Because it is more difficult for most people to detect, cross-scenting is not as big a social threat as cross-dressing and therefore many people who would not even remotely consider the possibility of cross-dressing feel comfortable cross-scenting.

This is my opinion and answer to the OP.

Adding to my previous post, I think the reason people strongly reject the notion that cross-scenting is similar to cross-dressing lies in the underlying motivation for these behaviors.

Cross-dressing implies a desire to be like the opposite sex, while the same is not true for cross-scenting (at least for most people). The latter happens because some people enjoy the smell of female scents AND do not have a strong association between the "wearing the scent" and "being female" in their minds, in which case, no inference can be made about one's sexuality based on the scent-gender they like to wear...

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    can you direct me to a link about Old Spice originally being marketed for women?
    It never occur to you to just google Old Spice?????
    Or look it up on Wikipedia????

The first Old Spice product was a scent for ladies and Old Spice was launched AFTER that, but it does not mean it is the same perfume as MANY people wrongly imply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Spice

The first Old Spice product was a fragrance called Early American Old Spice for women, introduced in 1937. Old Spice for men followed in 1938.

Quote Originally Posted by dilney View Post
    I don't understand why people got so upset with the thesis proposed by the OP 5 years ago. In short, he suggested that wearing opposite-sex-targeted fragrance is a form of cross-dressing.
    Read in isolation, my thread may look a tad like I was trying to get a reaction. In fact I wrote it as a counter attack to numerous posts at the time, the likes of which aren't around now. Basically, some fairly senior Basenoters had progressed from designer scents to being niche snobs (or the "All designer scents are crap" variety), and had then progressed to wearing female scents and become women's scents snobs. They were making statements like all male scents were inferior to women's scents, inferring or stating that only the uneducated and not knowledgeable would conciously stick to male scents, after they were made aware by them of the superiority of women's scents. And they were only too happy to guide newcomers on their journey of development to the heights of wearing women's scents.

And it followed that those of us who liked and preferred masculine scents were dills or dolts who didn't really know the first thing about scents.

You've read the argument that scents have no gender, and they espoused that notion too. Only problem was though, the scents may have had no gender to them, but they seemed to constantly disparage those labelled "Man", "Pour Homme", "Uomo" on the bottle - which kind of disproved their argument to my mind.

Fortunately, those days have passed, and the Board is now more accepting of men wearing masculine scents without being talked down to for doing so.
    Regards,
    Renato

Proposers of cross-scenting (if I may call it that) argue that scent don't naturally have gender.

Funnily, colors, fibers, fabric, etc, doesn't have gender either, but people are much more willing to accept that certain clothes are "female" clothes and others are "male" clothes.

Why don't you also adhere to the "if it looks good on me I'll wear it" the same way you adhere to "if it smells good on me I'll wear it"?

Notice that only because the social norms about male/female dress codes are more ingrained in people's minds and more widely shared it doesn't mean that they are less of social norms than the gender of scents.

So, to me the argument "perfume has no genitalia" is not good to reject the thesis that males (females) wearing female (male) scents is akin to cross-dressing.

Is cross-scenting more accepted in society than cross-dressing? It looks like it is and this is why most people around here so promptly accept it and adhere to it.

Not only that, but since most people are NOT educated on fragrances as much (and from as early in life) as they are on dressing, cross-scenting becomes more difficult to detect.

Because it is more difficult for most people to detect, cross-scenting is not as big a social threat as cross-dressing and therefore many people who would not even remotely consider the possibility of cross-dressing feel comfortable cross-scenting.

This is my opinion and answer to the OP.
    A couple of excellent posts, Dilney!

Welcome to the forum!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Miami Glow and Dior Pondichery are both female and I love wearing them. So freaking fresh! If you like it wear it!

I love wearing fragrances marketed to women. I had samples of Delices and de Lune by Cartier, NR for Her and now I have a sample of Carnal Flower which I must say that I use with caution for it is so little in the vial. That yellow juice is like water from the fountain of youth for me lol. Anyway nobody will tell the difference between a perfume that is labeled for women and one that is labeled for men therefore use what you like.

Adding to my previous post, I think the reason people strongly reject the notion that cross-scenting is similar to cross-dressing lies in the underlying motivation for these behaviors.

Cross-dressing implies a desire to be like the opposite sex, while the same is not true for cross-scenting (at least for most people). The latter happens because some people enjoy the smell of female scents AND do not have a strong association between the "wearing the scent" and "being female" in their minds, in which case, no inference can be made about one's sexuality based on the scent-gender they like to wear...
    I feel remarkably female when wearing some scents that are marketed to women. They can put me in a gentler mood, nice for relaxing at home. Who knows what a lovely dress and a bit of make up could do for me, really.

Quote Originally Posted by PaveLL View Post
    nobody will tell the difference between a perfume that is labeled for women and one that is labeled for men
    I'm not sure if I believe this. Some fragrances, yes, but there are also many that just smell too what most people would consider typically feminine/masculine.

If all scents came in plain bottles and were not marked "femme" or "homme," no one would have hang-ups.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

IMO, there are a lot of modern masculine frags that could be labeled as feminine and nobody would notice. If Dior Homme and La Nuit were originally marketed to women I don't think anyone would be like "whoa, that's a MAN'S scent!".

Are there women who wear e.g. Quorum or Sung Homme, not to make a statement but because they enjoy them and, perhaps, to drop panties? And would the men who encounter them really not notice that they wear a pour homme?

People associate flower smells with feminine frags and the woody ones with the masculines. That's why you think that people will notice that you use a feminine perfume if you are a man.

Also I saw here on BN women that wear Yatagan. I have not tried that one but from the reviews it does not seem to be so girly and if I would smell it on a girl I would probably think that it is a little bit different, not feminine or masculine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    IMO, there are a lot of modern masculine frags that could be labeled as feminine and nobody would notice. If Dior Homme and La Nuit were originally marketed to women I don't think anyone would be like "whoa, that's a MAN'S scent!".
    Exactly, and that's also why many guys don't enjoy wearing Dior Homme.

Actually, the first time I smelled Dior Homme Intense I was at work and was not wearing any fragrance, so I decided to apply one of the samples that I had in my drawer. Took DHI out and sprayed it on me. Immediately, my initial reaction was to double check and see if I didn't spray a female fragrance on...

It's not what is printed on the label that makes a fragrance masculine or feminine. It's the associations that one has with certain smells.

That happened long before I joined basenotes, so I was not aware that "feminine" (to me) scents were appreciated (to wear, not smell on a woman) by some men. That's something new to me that I learned here...

I own several unisex and some female fragrances. It all really depends on how comfortable you are, and your skin chemistry. I say, if you think it smells good, WEAR IT! I worry about some fragrances being too feminine, but they smell too good for me to even care what others think. Keep your head up. Be comfortable in your own skin. I think gender categories should be thrown out completely, and should be free for all.