Code of Conduct

Default Layering question

How do you guys layer fragrances. I don't mean wearing the same scent in different forms soap/deo/cologne ect. I mean 2 different fragrances blended together. How does it work. I have tried 2 different times, but I always end up just smelling 1 fragrance, and not anything of the other. I kinda feel like I just wasted the juices.

Default Re: Layering question

I tried layering a few of my Creeds ( Mi- SMW....VIW-SWM ) and you’re right....there’s always a prominent scent out of the two and I stopped doing it as I thought it was a waste.

If you are spraying the two fragrances in the same area of your arm, neck, or chest try spraying one fragrance in one area and the other in another. For example try spraying one on your wrists and chest then spray the other farther up your arms and on your neck. I find that if you spray one on then spray the other directly over it the last one sprayed on will usually overpower the other.

Quote Originally Posted by dwrestle View Post
    How do you guys layer fragrances.
    Not counting deo/cologne combinations, the few times it's worked out for me has been when one fragrance was dominant and the other provided one or two striking notes that amplified an important note in the other (e.g., a touch of a rose or carnation soliflore after Knize Ten has had a dozen hours or so to dry down) or sort of filled in a "hole" (a couple of BPALs I have are very mossy - a gorgeous addition to some traditional-styled scents)

I think it's really easy to end up wasting one or both fragrances though, and that's no fun.

I am not a layerer. Not because its unfruitful but because its hard to get to pefumes to mate in harmony. Its not easy to match the notes of one perfume with another. On paper, it appears easy. You look at the notes of one perfume, say an amber based one and then the notes of a vanilla based perfume but sometimes there are other prominent notes in the perfume that will clash with the other.

If I were ever to layer, my base would be Guerlain's Spirituese Double Vanille. I feel that its sublime enough to act as a host to another perfume.

Despite my recent thread about MKK (curiousity) I don't layer frags. I prefer enjoying the creations as is.
    I had a sales assistant layer Kai and Rum Tonic by Malin + Goetz and it smelled great but I think that was more about adding an accent than layering two full and complete fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    I don't layer frags. I prefer enjoying the creations as is.
    Same here.

i layer for variety. often it works great. I think it works best when the fragrances are in the same genre. once i had two that sort of reacted together and smelled awful, not even like a fragrance. it was the strangest thing (I think it might have been escape and bulgari extreme) but mostly i get it right.
    my favorite right nowt is to layer fresh scent scents over coconut body butter or dark woody scents over cherry. the body butter is supposed to hold the fragrance on the skin for longer, but i also like the variation in smell

It's not layering but mixing.
    To me, it's a waste of time.
    Renato

It is a little frivolous especially when its with expensive things but sometimes it just works

I'm halfway through the Chandler Burr book on SJP's Lovely and Hermes Jardin Sur le Nil. I was reading it tonight on the train home from work.

One of the chapters focuses on his interview with SJP, where she talks about layering fragrances to create her ultimate scent. She mentioned layering a cheap musk, an Egyptian oil and CdG Avignon. So I got home and thought, ok, I'll give it a go and layered MKK with Avignon. And you know what, its rather wonderful. Together they have a similar strength to Kouros, and the Avignon dirties up the MKK in a very pleasing way (neat MKK usually smells cozy, rather than dirty, to my nose).

They're marrying up nicely but next time I might use just a touch less Avignon.

I layered Joop ph and Amouage Jubilation, and that turned out to be pretty successful. I use to think Jubilation was overrated and a little boring even, but with the spiciness that Joop adds to, it's awesome. That's my 1 successful mashup.

In my mind the difficulty with layering is that most fragrances on the market are highly complex with many notes that, while carefully balanced within the fragrance, will often be tough to balance with another one. You can be lucky and get two complicated fragrances to work well together, but I think a better approach is to use simpler ones.

So either something like the Jo Malone range, which were designed to layer together (and are much less complex than most) or take your favourite perfume and add a single note to it - something you like obviously - because that will then become quite dominant. In this way you can turn a bright fresh daytime cologne into a sultry evening one with a spray or two on top.

I think it's well worth trying out on a day alone at home to see what you like - take several showers if necessary - when you find a combination that works, go with it. You'll have something (almost certainly) unique.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Im happy to quote: if you want free advice, thats what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

I have never layered until this week. If you have these handy - Habit Rouge EDT with Cuir de Lancome. Personally, I think I smell great - and the leather works a treat with the Habit Rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by dwrestle View Post
    How do you guys layer fragrances. I don't mean wearing the same scent in different forms soap/deo/cologne ect. I mean 2 different fragrances blended together. How does it work. I have tried 2 different times, but I always end up just smelling 1 fragrance, and not anything of the other. I kinda feel like I just wasted the juices.
    I don't feel that way. It's the journey & not the destination ( cheekily ).
    My latest is DSH Leather Krem with TFord TV. HELLA good stuff.
    Last edited by SoGent; 4th August 2011 at 01:33 AM.

Dependent

I've only tried it a couple times, with disastrous results. Sometimes similar or identical notes double up and take the result way off balance.

I don't layer. My gut instinct is that I'm not a perfume designer and I would get the balance of notes out of whack if I ever tried. I'm happy to enjoy the fragrances on their own merits without my experiments.

You can buy fragrance oils of the specific notes that you want to enhance. That way you can balance the fragrance any way you choose. You will need to play with it for a while until you find what works.

I've bought vetiver oil and used it as a body splash then applied the guerlain on top...not bad.

I tried Declaration and pure oud oil w/ a rose soliflore, the results were ok but it didn't feel cohesive and well blended, and I haven't tried anything else since... although I'm tempted to play with my iso-e super a bit...

I've yet to do this and I don't know if I will.. I like the fragrances I own for what they are and I'm not sure that I want to take a chance at ruining that or smelling like something I'll hate.. Not that there aren't good combinations out there, I just haven't tried it.

Agree with others that a decent way to go about it is to layer regular, multi-note fragrances with a very straightforward, one-note scent. I keep a bottle of straight rose scent around just for that purpose, as well as other various oils and lotions. I still enjoy randomly mixing my fragrances together, but haven't had much success with anything beyond perking one up with a single additional note.

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    I've yet to do this and I don't know if I will.. I like the fragrances I own for what they are and I'm not sure that I want to take a chance at ruining that or smelling like something I'll hate.. Not that there aren't good combinations out there, I just haven't tried it.
    You won't waste much and nobody has to know. Just do it at home and hop in the shower if you aren't happy.

I "layer" ASL with EDT simply because the majority of men's fragrances on the market don't have an ASL version. Most of the inexpensive ASLs wear away after an hour or so anyway.

I have no knack for layering. I think it takes a certain kind of olfactory skill to find combos that work. The trial and error method takes a lot of trial and error. For me, I hate the idea that I layer something that doesn't work and spend the whole day fretting over it, and as a result not wearing something I like.

I just layered YSL Rive Gauche with YSL Kouros.

Not mixing them directly, but together and I liked it. I got a compliment from 2 girls at work - they thought I smelled incredible

I used two sprays of Kouros EDT under each arm pit, 2 spray of Rive Gauche on my neck and 2 sprays of Rive Gauche on my chest.

The RG tamed the Kouros notes a bit and added that mint barber note to the Kouros.

I will try it again soon !!
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

I spray them (from a distance) over each other. Lancome Cuir EDP + Gucci Pour Homme I is by far my favorite combo. I experimented with Chanel Cuir de Russie EDT, and if I remember correctly, Bulgari Black and Caron Yatagan layer nicely over it.

Quote Originally Posted by eov8b View Post
    I spray them (from a distance) over each other. Lancome Cuir EDP + Gucci Pour Homme I is by far my favorite combo. I experimented with Chanel Cuir de Russie EDT, and if I remember correctly, Bulgari Black and Caron Yatagan layer nicely over it.
    Just tried to mix my favorite cheap over popular Cool Water with the not much popular Chanel Platinum.

I liked it very much

The 'metal' notes in Platinum was tamed down.
    Will try Azzaro ph with YSL Body Kouros next .....
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Don't do as much layering these days, but my favorite is Arsene Lupin and Attrape Coeur.

If one of the two scents is overpowering, try adjusting the proportions by mixing them into a small atomizer or empty vial. Just spray a few from one into the atomizer, then a little less (or more) from the other. Now shake it up and try it on your skin. This way you'll find the perfect ratio without too much waste. I had a custom blend made recently at Bond No 9 and this was how he did it. I had 4 different recipes to choose from using the same frags.

Just tried it today with Green Valley and Infusion D'Vetiver. I knew GV would be stronger, so, I went with less. Didn't matter, all I am getting is the GV. As a matter of fact, to me it smells almost like the Infusion D'Vetiver somehow amplified the violet note, and, it smells almost like Narciso Rodriguez Him. I have mixed GV and Millesime Imperial before, and, though they don't seem to enhance eachother, I can perceive both individually throughout the day. I tend to believe that the fragrances I own work great on their own, and, that I should leave well enough alone...

The Jo Malone line is a perfect unisex line for layering. More info here:

http://www.jomalone.com/TheWorldofJo...=CATEGORY21651

The site even has a fragrance combining menu. Quite interesting if you ask me!