Code of Conduct

Thread: Geir vs Le Male

Default Geir vs Le Male

Hi,

I just received a sample of Geir from Maisonstinky today (many thanks, Vijay). I really love the smell, but I can't help feeling that it has some similarities to Le Male - albeit far lighter and less cloying. I'm not saying that they smell exactly the same, but there does seem to be a close similarity between these two (well, according to my nose). Maybe I need to live with Geir for a few more days...

What do the rest of you think (I'm actually hoping that most of you will disagree)?

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Geir vs Le Male

My roommate wears Le Male. All. The. Time.

I wear Geir to FORGET about his Le Male. The only thing they have in common is a bit of sweetness, but where Le Male has a sticky, sour, sickly sweetness, Geir has an uplifting floral sweetness that never feels like too much.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I think they smell NOTHING like eachother, Le Male smells like rubber and Vanilla, whiles Geir has a fresh cherry like sweetness. *I find Gier WAY overrated probably the most overrated fragrance ever, and nothing special or unique. *Smells similar to other popular fragrances.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

I find Le Male obnoxious, annoying, and cloying. I finally sampled geir a few weeks ago and was pleasently surprised. Is it groundbreaking? no! but it smells nice, and isn't as boring as ADG, Polo Blue, or any other "high school dance" fragrance.

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

Super Geir could give that ugly teal blue Le Male villain a major spandex wedgie, choke him with that stupid striped wife-beater t-shirt, and then chuck him in the trash.

No comparison.

Post Thanks / Like

I have both and like both. I don't think they're very similar at all. Le Male smells a lot "rougher and dirtier" while Geir is "cleaner" if that makes sense.

I remember when I first smelled Geir. It initially struck me as a watered down version of Givenchy Pi. I didn't smell the floral notes until multiple wearings. I didn't think it was anything special until wearing it for a week straight. After that, my other scents just paled in comparison to it. It's now my holy grail, but I've taken a break from it because I literally wore it for several months straight as my SOTE.

Disagree, yes. Of course they both are sweet scents in a way, but that`s about it.

Btw, I like Le Male more. Much more, actully.

In addition to being one of my favorites, Geir is one of my most variable frags. Recently, as it has gotten warmer, its dry-down has become more and more sweet, mostly like vanilla. This is completely different than how it smelled before the summer weather hit, so while I can see where the comparison comes from, give it some time, you may find that it changes.

i've never smelled Le Male, but i received a decant roll-on of Geir a couple of days ago and personally i was floored. i'll admit i'm new to the frag game but i've just never experienced anything like it. it's got a very unique floral complexity but still remains masculine. definitely pickin up a little of the vanilla notes that someone mentioned as well.

a couple things i learned real quick about Geir though is that it has good longevity and you don't need too much as i was almost chokin myself out the first day i wore it to the office!

I've owned a botttle of Le Male in the past, and I just got a sample of Geir in the mail from Maisonstinky as well. I have to agree with you on this one. I dabbed some of the Geir sample on my wrist today, I keep on sniffing it and all I smell is Le Male. Don't get me wrong, it smells great, but it's very similar to Le Male. I would say Le Male is somehow less floral and more masculine though. I'm going to be shunned for saying this, but for that reason I actually prefer Le Male to Geir. Maybe Geir will grow on me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Incedal
    I think they smell NOTHING like eachother, Le Male smells like rubber and Vanilla, whiles Geir has a fresh cherry like sweetness. *I find Gier WAY overrated probably the most overrated fragrance ever, and nothing special or unique. *Smells similar to other popular fragrances.
    I find geir overrated as well. So, by default, I would chose Le Male if it had to be between those two. However, I would rather pick up something from YSL.

Hi all,

Thanks for your views on this. I've given it a few more tries, but it now smells more like a softer version of L'eau D'Issey than Le Male!

Is it me or is Geir just difficult to nail down or appreciate initially?

I'm still new to this fragrance game, so please excuse my inexperience.

Trebor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    Hi all,

Thanks for your views on this. I've given it a few more tries, but it now smells more like a softer version of L'eau D'Issey than Le Male now!

Is it me or is Geir just difficult to nail down initially?

Trebor
    Heeeyyy that's actually not a bad description (the Issey Bleue comparison). They do both kinda have a grassy smell, but while is DEFINES Bleue, it's just a small highlighting attribute to Geir. That said, the two are not even the in the same league quality-wise. Bleue is too strong and synthetic to me.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Ever since I got my sample of Geir from Vijay, I love the scent more and more... I've even received a compliment the first time I wore it ;D

I can understand what a lot of you Geir supporters are telling me. However, the main problem I'm having with Geir is the lack of that all important distinction from other frags (such as Le Male or L'eau D'Issey (i.e. the original version)). I would consider all the fragrances in my collection to be quite distinctive when compared against each other, but Geir has something slightly generic about it.

I think I'm going to wear it to work tomorrow and give it another chance.

I don't want to take this thread in a different direction, but can someone point me to an accurate note triangle for Geir? The phrase "the power of Norway, like soft breeze in a fjord" doesn't help me much.

Thanks

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    I can understand what a lot of you Geir supporters are telling me. However, the main problem I'm having with Geir is the lack of that all important distinction from other frags (such as Le Male or L'eau D'Issey (i.e. the original version)). I would consider all the fragrances in my collection to be quite distinctive when compared against each other, but Geir has something slightly generic about it.

I think I'm going to wear it to work tomorrow and give it another chance.

Trebor - let us know how you feel about it, after you wear it to work tomorrow.

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Hi Vijay,

I definitely will! I've only worn it around the house so far, so maybe a 'hard' day at the office will put things into perspective ;D

As much as I love the scent, I'm just waiting to see the light (with regards to it being distinctive) - that's my only reservation about Geir, to be honest.

Trebor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt
    I don't want to take this thread in a different direction, but can someone point me to an accurate note triangle for Geir? The phrase "the power of Norway, like soft breeze in a fjord" doesn't help me much.

Thanks

-ben
    To my nose Geir smells like lavender and honey sitting on a vanilla-sandalwood base.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt

Thanks

-ben
    To my knowledge Ness has never even launced the official note pyramid, and I haven`t seen it "unofficially" either. Strange, isn`t it?

My guess could be something like this:

top : mandarin, lavender,
    middle : cedar, neroli, jasmine, aldehydes
    base : white musk, vanilla, sandal, tonka-bean, vetiver

As I already commented before Geir is everything CK Escape was supposed to be but failed, great fruity/fresh fragrance.
    Le Male, dunno, it is warm, overplayed, too much vanilla and so on...

When I tried the geir samples that Vijay sent me, all I smelled was sweet grass. I'll give it a second chance, but right now I'm not impressed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Murderer
    interesting proposition PM. But why the vetiver? Do you smell it in there, or do you include it because it seems to be listed in everything under the sun (Dior Homme "has" it, as does Armani He)? Ive never noticed it in my Geir... :-?

Hi all,

Well, after wearing Geir at work, I really can't say that I've seen the light on this one. My sample's nearly finished, so maybe it was because I didn't apply enough. I noticed it for the first couple of hours, but it faded pretty quickly after that.

I'm still interested in perservering with it, though - maybe the sample isn't enough to convince me of its uniqueness.

Trebor

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Murderer
    [quote author=greyhueofdoubt link=1145561844/15#15 date=1146087216]I don't want to take this thread in a different direction, but can someone point me to an accurate note triangle for Geir? The phrase "the power of Norway, like soft breeze in a fjord" doesn't help me much.

Thanks

-ben
    To my knowledge Ness has never even launced the official note pyramid, and I haven`t seen it "unofficially" either. Strange, isn`t it?

My guess could be something like this:

base : white musk, vanilla, sandal, tonka-bean, vetiver[/quote]

I thought I smelled a mild tobacco note- maybe it was a tonka-vanilla-sandalwood accord that lead me to that.

I wore it the other day right after I took a shower and it turned to maple syrup 2 hours later. I don't mind the smell of maple syrup, but i'm not sure how I feel about wearing it. Maybe it was just the weather that day, though; it's never happened before.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    [quote author=Pigeon Murderer link=1145561844/15#19 date=1146111403]
    interesting proposition PM. But why the vetiver? Do you smell it in there, or do you include it because it seems to be listed in everything under the sun (Dior Homme "has" it, as does Armani He)? Ive never noticed it in my Geir... :-?[/quote]

I didn`t mean that vetiver to be predominant note at all. But to me Geir is not just airy, sweet and fresh, but also quite earthy fragrance. I was thinking that if you`d add a hint of vetiver there to flow along with aldehydes and those sweet, woody notes, you could create that "moist-air" accord that is Geir`s trademark.