Code of Conduct

Default WHO IS WHO in the Fragrance Industry ?

WHO IS WHO in the Fragrance Industry ?

I guess it is not too difficult to create an organization chart, or something similar to have a better survey of connections between the various producers/design houses. The Basenotes directory has comprehensive details of who owns whom in the industry. That would only have to be compiled. Missing is information on major distributors, chain stores, hotel chains, airport outlets. They seem to be so perfectly streamlined that it makes you supicious, sometimes.
    This may have been discussed before, and fine surveys (charts, maps etc.) may already exist. I just have not found them yet. Can anybody give me a hint?

'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Default Re: WHO IS WHO in the Fragrance Industry ?

It's tricky to compile this sort of information, because the data changes so frequently. It's not an impossible task, but it requires continuous updating and lots of research. Think how often you read about brand X being purchased by investment company Y, and then sold again to Z. It's a jungle out there, and the end result must be reliable and accurate (or else, what's the point of trying).

In an "open edit" format (where anyone can contribute, wikipedia style) it should be feasible. But again, it's not easy.
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=www.scentedpages.com][b]ScentedPages.com[/b][/url][/font]

Quote Originally Posted by Marcello
    It's tricky to compile this sort of information, because the data changes so frequently. It's not an impossible task, but it requires continuous updating and lots of research. Think how often you read about brand X being purchased by investment company Y, and then sold again to Z. It's a jungle out there, and the end result must be reliable and accurate (or else, what's the point of trying).

In an "open edit" format (where anyone can contribute, wikipedia style) it should be feasible. But again, it's not easy.
    You scare me a little :-/. I know what I plan to do will be rather sketchy and never even up-to-date with the bn directory which, I think, will be my basic source. And I have not even thought of using Access for it, simply a spread sheet. It is meant to only serve my bn interests. These sometimes go beyond scents, the directory, and occasional forum frustrations. Yes, an open-edit format would be great - if I knew the least thing about it!
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    WHO IS WHO in the Fragrance Industry ?

I guess it is not too difficult to create an organization chart, or something similar to have a better survey of connections between the various producers/design houses. The Basenotes directory has comprehensive details of who owns whom in the industry. That would only have to be compiled. Missing is information on major distributors, chain stores, hotel chains, airport outlets. They seem to be so perfectly streamlined that it makes you supicious, sometimes.
    This may have been discussed before, and fine surveys (charts, maps etc.) may already exist. I just have not found them yet. Can anybody give me a hint?
    I'm working on something at the moment, a bit like this (it's far from finished - only in very initial development) Basically my plan is for you to be able to choose a brand (ie Missoni), and follow it's ownership {ie from Revlon - Lauder, via Orlane}, using little flow charts to display the connections

Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    [quote author=narcus link=1146060262/0#0 date=1146060262]WHO IS WHO in the Fragrance Industry ?

I'm working on something at the moment, a bit like this (it's far from finished - only in very initial development) Basically my plan is for you to be able to choose a brand (ie Missoni), and follow it's ownership {ie from Revlon - Lauder, via Orlane}, using little flow charts to display the connections[/quote]

Sounds like a great feature. Good luck with the finishing touches Grant!

I'm working on something at the moment, a bit like this (it's far from finished - only in very initial development) Basically my plan is for you to be able to choose a brand (ie Missoni), and follow it's ownership {ie from Revlon - Lauder, via Orlane}, using little flow charts to display the connections
    in a stoner voice, a la Keanu Reeves circa Bill & Ted: "whooooooooooa"

Oh great, really!! I just sit in the sun, and relax for the moment! 8-)