Code of Conduct

Default Beautiful Sillage Experiences

Wow I love a good sillage scent blast.

Today I've got on the beautiful Patchouli by Lorenzo Villoresi, and it reminds me of the different experiences with the aura of scent that different fragrances provide.

There are some with massive sillage, or, which leave a hefty trail of the scent behind you as you walk. But I've found that there are different qualities to sillage too. Sometimes sillage is just plain off the body, and not something that stays close. Sometimes it means a fragrance I smell only in the aura around me, NOT, strangely enough, on the parts of skin where I've sprayed it on me. Villoresi's Patchouli is one of those--if I want to smell it I lift my head up and sniff, I won't get it if I bury my nose in my elbow joint where I've put a blast of sprayer.

I love this strange piece of scent making artistry. That someone might have played with the three-dimensional space that the scent sprayed from a bottle will occupy. There are times when one wants a scent close to the body, sure, but there are times too when one wants something as beautiful, as odd, and as interesting as this, to reach around one's space. I don't mean in the sense of spraying on a lot either, I mean different scents fill or claim different spaces around you, and do so with lightness or power around you depending on other factors. This beauty reminds me that there are times I love making my air all smell good, and I think therefore of other scents that claim the space around me in a similar way.

Kouros. This one taught me the concept of a scent that isn't where I sprayed it, it is in the air above and around that spot. Smell it better just by lifting the nose.

Bois du Portugal. Another sillage spreader, but you can get it stronger if you sniff where you sprayed it, so maybe it isn't a pure sillage baby.

Acier Aluminum. This one does it too.

Jacomo de Jacomo. Whoa daddy, sillage par excellance and the only place to smell it is by stretching your head this way and that in order to catch the sillage by surprise so it doesn't run away from you. But it is there for hours and hours.

Opium Pour Homme edp. Most edps lie close to the body, but this one doesn't seem to. Like the others, its notes only seem to come together in the air, blending there instead of on your skin like most edps.

Route du Vetiver and Parfum d'Habit by MPG. Amazing sillage. Nothing more to add.

I appreciate times of scents close to the body too, sure, and I appreciate that that type of creation has been the trendy one of our time for the last 15 or so years, but sometimes times change, and it's clear that there were times when sillage was the fashion. Somedays it's good to live in that old fragrance structure. Today, it certainly makes the scent experience for me.

Are there any other masters of sillage out there that you guys can think of? I would make a point of trying out any scent that's reputed to be an off the body experience.

Please advise!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Default Re: Beautiful Sillage Experiences

Just the other day my SOTD, Voleur de Roses surprised me several hours after application with its sillage. I applied sparingly from a roll-on decant to both sides of my ribcage, beneath an undershirt. Later that day, while in the office, the lovely scent of earthy, plummy roses tickled my nose.

Just yesterday Antaeus also exerted its classic sillage from beneath my shirt. I've gone to trying light applications of my scents to my thorax (i.e., ribcage area) and avoiding above-the-shoulders applications, and I've really been surprised by the results.

Jeff *

I would have to say that Joop! Homme and Jaipur EDP are those scent that leave that sillage trail. People say I followed your scent all the was to your cubical [smiley=wink.gif]

As you noted, J-F Laporte (MPG) is a master of sillage - not to mention persistance. Etro fragrances have good sillage, particularly Messe de Minuit. And I get good persistance and sillage from Eau d' Orange Verte, tho others here swear that it disappears upon application.
    Cordially,

Serge

My SOTD was a mega-sillage experience--Cristobal by Balencegia. This is one potent frag and a little goes a LONG way. Also extremely long lasting.

The most sillage I have ever experienced is Silver Crystal by Amouage. This does not know how to quit and smells good!

Sung Homme & Kenzo PH are two of my faves for sillage.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Tabac Blond parfum has beautiful sillage
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Of course we must be discerning when we talk about sillage. The fart of a camel will leave a sillage a mile long, but that's not really what we desire. For a truly out of body experience, we need something that will leave a part of us behind for others to discover. Not only that, it has to be of a masculine wake also. Then there are those who disagree and find leaving broken trails, like bread crumbs from the fairytale Hansel and Gretel, to be the way to go. They would apply the minimum amount that would create a trail and enjoy the effect as others seek out the source. Thankfully, we have all manner of perfumes to suit everyone's taste. From my own personal collection, i like:

1. Paco Rabanne XS Extreme.
    2. Jicky PDT.
    3. Habit Rouge.
    4. Safari.
    5. Kenzo Jungle.
    6. Dinner by Bobo.
    7. Artisan Navagateur.
    8. Artisan Tea for Two.
    9. Etra Etro.
    10. Vermeil.

Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    The fart of a camel will leave a sillage a mile long.
    Mmm. Interesting observation. [smiley=laugh.gif]
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Chris, great post !

I quite like both fragrances that stay close but also project - if its appropriate. Beyond whats mentioned, others with beautiful siliage IMO:

- Lolita Lempicka
    - Angel
    - Heritage EDP
    - Angel
    - Romeo Gigli
    - maybe a few others

Acqua di Parma Colonia (rose)
    KL Homme (frankincense)
    Eau de Zum (frankincense)
    Pasha (mint)
    Jacomo de Jacomo (floral) - surprisingly short duration on me
    Antaeus (frankincense)
    Kouros (vanilla on me)
    Caron PuH (lavender-vanilla of course)
    Trussardi Uomo (rose)
    CM Sandalwood (I can't pin it down, but it is regal and exquisite)
    Paco Rabanne PH (soapy leathery-lavender goodness)
    L'Occitane Vetyver (but you have to wait, it isn't until a couple hours into it that the siliage kicks in. Many say it is sandalwood siliage.)
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

The 'biggest' fragrances in my experience have been Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme and Aramis Tuscany.

MPG Santal Noble
    Dolce and Gabanna PH
    A*men
    Noir Ecipes

my favorite sillage is that of Azzaro Visit

Chergui produces the most heavenly sillage. It smells like a flock of pipe-smoking angels just flew by. *Swoon*

I have an interesting tale to tell. I was wearing Poivre by Caron for the very first time the other day. After being bewitched by it in the boutique I decided to spray it liberally about my person to see if I could carry it.
    Later in the day I was on the tube. A girl sat next to me and I noticed that she'd caught something, Poivre, in her nose. She delicately sniffed around intrigued, searching for the source, and upon locating the thread went in for a good long hit. "...aaaaachoooo!"

Genius!

I wore Nu yesterday and all day, when I was going about my daily business, I would get a whiff of exotic spices and incense intermittetly. I would wonder 'Mmmm I wonder who that is...' and then stuck my nose in my shirt and realised it was me! Such a lovely scent, Nu.

You know what I find also that has beauitful sillage is Gray Flannel and Royal Copenhagen.

Copenhage is more powdery and incense like with white jasmin

Flannel has the mossy powdery fresh feeling to it.

Last edited by renperd; 30th October 2008 at 02:54 PM.

Tabac Blond has profound sillage. With just a couple of drops of the extrait applied to the back of your hand, you'll think someone must be wearing Tabac Blond and walking in your vicinity. First time I experienced it was like encountering a ghost.
    It's not getting what you want -- it's wanting what you've got.

For me, FM's Carnal Flower has a beautiful sillage. I wore it yesterday and received a lot of compliments! I can still smell it while I'm typing this
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Generally I dislike sweet fragrances, but the whifs I get from LV Musk during the night are just magical. Little goes a long way, and like with every fragrance, excessive spraying ruins the magic. Another experinece I enjoy every time, is the way L'Homme Coeur smells in my clothes the day after wearing.

Piper Nigrum and No.88 requires some 60 minutes, but after that, the sillage is just wonderful. Beyond description or comparison.

Ted Lapidus Pour Lui is THE most powerful EdT I have ever witnessed, not in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow
    Generally I dislike sweet fragrances, but the whifs I get from LV Musk during the night are just magical. Little goes a long way, and like with every fragrance, excessive spraying ruins the magic. Another experinece I enjoy every time, is the way L'Homme Coeur smells in my clothes the day after wearing.

Piper Nigrum and No.88 requires some 60 minutes, but after that, the sillage is just wonderful. Beyond description or comparison.

Ted Lapidus Pour Lui is THE most powerful EdT I have ever witnessed, not in a good way.
    Are you able to smell Coeur the day after??!
    After 2-3 hours with a quite generous application on me, it's totally gone...Starts off pretty strong, though...

Sillage - from the perfumes I like

Xeryus
    Grey Flannel
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Swiss Army
    XS
    Paco Rabanne PH
    Gucci Envy

My best experience was with Xeryus. One night, I'd gone to sleep (I'd used Xeryus in the evening). I woke up later and needed a drink of water, as I sat up, Xeryus exerted itself in a lovely dazzling way and wrapped itself around me and then left. That was very good indeed! It became one of my favourites after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballardbeau
    My SOTD was a mega-sillage experience--Cristobal by Balencegia. This is one potent frag and a little goes a LONG way. Also extremely long lasting.
    This is so true. To me Cristobal is the king of sillage - no doubt about it at all. You see, this fragrance isn`t even smellable too closely: it`s no good; it`s way too sharp and strong. Cristobal isn`t an intimate fragrance! But, the trail is absolutely wonderful and extremely long lasting.

Even Joop! and A*men can`t challenge Cristobal (on me), when it comes to great sillage.

Pour un Homme de Caron, Guerlain Vetiver, Antaeus, Rive Gauche, 1881 Amber and Gucci Envy have a not just long-lasting, but extremely pleasant and highly complex sillage on my skin. But the longest lasting sillage I ever experienced was probably thanks to Drakkar Noir.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 19th February 2009 at 04:26 PM.

Serge Luten’s Ambre Sultan
    Montale's Black Aoud
    Givenchy Pi
    Maitre Parfumeur Et Gantier Parfum d'Habit
    YSL M7
    Rochas Man.
    Black Orchid by Tom Ford

Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum
    Opium Pour Homme the EDP
    Bel Ami
    Muscs Koublai Khan
    Musc Ravageur
    Michael Kors Michael For Men
    Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Guerlain Heritage
    Antaeus
    Silver Crystal by Amouage
    Tabac Blond
    Daim Blonde
    Havana for Men
    Richard James
    Domenico Caraceni
    Bandit
    Last edited by silverbullet; 19th February 2009 at 04:38 PM.
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

From my collection: Heritage; Havana; Zino; L' Anarchiste; Knize 10; Guerlain Vetiver; and the wonderful L' air du desert Marocain.

I love Heritage for this.

It projects a completely different experience several inches off the skin and the air around you. But if you then smell your skin it smells completely deconstructed and different.

I would love to know how it does that!
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

My most recent sillage experience was with Tauer's L'Air du desert Marocain. I was meeting up with another basenoter and he commented my SotD was coming on too strong

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

just not to reiterate any of the ones mentioned by Issey Miyakes is great in sillage too
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I will second Kouros; I know I may be in the minority, but Kouros leaves a nice scent trail.

Black Aoud has got to be a champion in amount and quality too.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

For me L'Artisan Tea for Two has had the most sillage effect of any fragrance I have worn. I had posted about it a couple of years ago. A visit to a local strip-store while I was wearing TFT during a cold snap here in south Florida prompted a woman to loudly ask: "Who in here is smoking! Smoking is not allowed in this store! Who is smoking?" She was militant about it. I was standing just inside the wide open front door. The back door was open also to allow the wonderfully dry and cool air to breeze through from front to back and it carried the TFT tobacco-like sillage past her as she stood near the rear of the showroom floor, sniffing and looking .

She was glancing at everyone in the store to find the perp but to no avail, and this was a customer, not a staffer! I had to laugh quietly and purposely stayed longer than I needed just to watch and listen to the show.
    Last edited by kbe; 20th February 2009 at 02:21 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

AromiErotici

I get terrific sillage from Eau Lente and Macassar. The amount is just right.

Basenotes Institution

I love the way Aromatics Elixir by Clinique smells from it's sillage. Just astoundingly beautiful and sultry. Same for Youth Dew Amber Nude by Lauder.