#5 Dolce Gabbana PH vs. #12 Le Dandy
    #4 Musc Ravageur vs. #13 Creed SMW
    #3 Zino Davidoff vs. #14 CK Be
    # 6 Dior Homme vs. #11 M7
    #7 Dior Eau Sauvage vs. #10 Patou PH
    # 2 Havana vs. #15 Bois Farine

North Region Polls will be up soon

Default Re: The Bracket field of 64

Wait, so what do we do now? You are setting up polls?

edit: nevermind, you are putting them up right now
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

This looks like it'll be a lot of fun. Dior Homme vs M7!? Oh know! Don't even know what to expect.

Well, the polls are up for the first region. Let's get our voting in and see what happens.
    This was not meant to be perfect or extremely serious or scientific in any way. There were a lot of ways this could have been done and someone posted a good suggestion or 2 along the way. So I apologize if in any way you think this was done wrong, like I mentioned in a previous post I'm a new basenoter and very new to niche fragrances so I thought the best way to develop a field of 64 was for members to nominate their personal Top 10. Some niches made it some didn't. I think it was a good suggestion for someone to do a future tournament that separated niche vs. non niche. I still think this will be a fun process and hope you do too.

Thanks Chris I think it will be fun too. OH and please everyone feel free to post while you vote why you voted the way you voted. In addition to keeping the post bumped, it will tell whether you prefer one to the other or maybe you haven't tried 1 of the 2 and like the other, etc. I am curious to see descriptions of why members like for instance mechant loup since I haven't smelled it. On another note, my all time favorite frag is in action Bulgari Black so I hope it pulls off the upset of it's brother Bulgari PH.

Ain't perfect, but the lack of science involved is part of the excitement. One way or another a hell of a lot better than the yearly basenotes awards. I will definately be active in the voting until the bitter end, rooting for my favs. You should outline a time table for the tourney though. How many days is each round? 3 days, 5 days, a week? Anyways, yea, just post the details like time and whatnot. Thanks for putting together this tourny, it is really cool and I hope lots of people participate.

Oh crap! I see now that the voting ends tomorow night. I urge you to extend the voting time per round to something in the time frame of 3 days. Not everyone signs on everyday, so it would be better. Also, more time=more suspense. I hope it's not too late to change the end of the polls because extending them is definately something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giraffe
    Oh crap! *I see now that the voting ends tomorow night. *I urge you to extend the voting time per round to something in the time frame of 3 days. *Not everyone signs on everyday, so it would be better. *Also, more time=more suspense. *I hope it's not too late to change the end of the polls because extending them is definately something to consider.
    I am very open to this suggestion. Does anyone have a problem with each voting round lasting 3 days instead of 1? Please post your opinion.

Hm, if each poll were 3 days, this tourny would probably last a month. Not saying that is a bad thing, but since you're the starter markc, the commitment is up to you.

Good job and good idea by the way; seems to be going pretty smoothly so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW
    Hm, if each poll were 3 days, this tourny would probably last a month. *Not saying that is a bad thing, but since you're the starter markc, the commitment is up to you.

That was my thinking, that it would last a month and interest would not be as high. Maybe a compromise at 2 days? I will wait for other opinions and if it is really mixed maybe set up a poll. Don't really want to do that, it would be like overkill on polls, so I hope some others might chime in with their opinion. I will be on here for at least an hour so I will check and see what consensus may be for now.

Quote Originally Posted by markc
    [quote author=ChrisW link=1145845608/0#8 date=1145848930]Hm, if each poll were 3 days, this tourny would probably last a month. Not saying that is a bad thing, but since you're the starter markc, the commitment is up to you.

That was my thinking, that it would last a month and interest would not be as high. Maybe a compromise at 2 days? I will wait for other opinions and if it is really mixed maybe set up a poll. Don't really want to do that, it would be like overkill on polls, so I hope some others might chime in with their opinion. I will be on here for at least an hour so I will check and see what consensus may be for now.[/quote]

How about doing it like how the NCAA did for this past year's bball tourny. All the inital rounds are for a day (remember how CBS was airing 4 games at once haha), and then you can give the later rounds like suite 16 two days, and maybe elite 8 3 days and final 4 and championship can be a week each or something. Just a thought.

Chris has a good idea about making the rounds increase in time (though they should never get as long as a week). I also like the idea of the 2 day compromise, which I mentioned in the Geir vs. 88 thread. Yea, interest might wain over the course of a month... so don't make it 3 days. One day for the initial rounds might be just fine, though making them 2 days wouldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW
    [quote author=markc link=1145845608/0#9 date=1145849274][quote author=ChrisW link=1145845608/0#8 date=1145848930]Hm, if each poll were 3 days, this tourny would probably last a month. *Not saying that is a bad thing, but since you're the starter markc, the commitment is up to you.

That was my thinking, that it would last a month and interest would not be as high. *Maybe a compromise at 2 days? *I will wait for other opinions and if it is really mixed maybe set up a poll. *Don't really want to do that, it would be like overkill on polls, so I hope some others might chime in with their opinion. *I will be on here for at least an hour so I will check and see what consensus may be for now.[/quote]

How about doing it like how the NCAA did for this past year's bball tourny. *All the inital rounds are for a day (remember how CBS was airing 4 games at once haha), and then you can give the later rounds like suite 16 two days, and maybe elite 8 3 days and final 4 and championship can be a week each or something. *Just a thought.
    [/quote]

That sounds pretty good to me. If there aren't any more opinions out there in an hour I may decide for that.

Yeah, the only reason I suggested a week is that perhaps not everyone is able to check Basenotes every day, so maybe the final four or championship could run a bit longer. By that point, it should be exciting, since the competition will be drawing to a close.

Oh, and I also wanted to lay out my final 4 predictions:

North: Geir (though I'm heavily tempted by A*Men
    West: Tea for Two (tempted a lot by Piper Nigrum, a little by Jaiper and a tiny bit by Chrome)
    East: Chergui all the way!
    South: Holy crap, this has a LOT of heavy hitters! *These are some strong frags. *My initially reaction was that this was the weakest division (not in frag strength but in frag quality) but then I realized what an unfair assessment that was, as the main problem isn't the quality but rather my lack of experience with the frags in this bracket. *So I give a hesistant prediction to Musc Ravageur. *BdP (which I've neglected to ever smell) should put up a hell of a fight though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giraffe
    Oh, and I also wanted to lay out my final 4 predictions:

North: Geir (though I'm heavily tempted by A*Men
    South: Tea for Two (tempted a lot by Piper Nigrum, a little by Jaiper and a tiny bit by Chrome)
    East: Chergui all the way!
    West: Holy crap, this has a LOT of heavy hitters! *These are some strong frags. *My initially reaction was that this was the weakest division (not in frag strength but in frag quality) but then I realized what an unfair assessment that was, as the main problem isn't the quality but rather my lack of experience with the frags in this bracket. *So I give a hesistant prediction to Musc Ravageur. *BdP (which I've neglected to ever smell) should put up a hell of a fight though.
    Giraffe,

In the last month I've been on an ordering spree of decants and sample vials. 2 weeks ago I tried some BdP and it only took me 10 minutes to decide to buy a whole bottle regardless of price. I could not stop smelling my wrist all day. It made my top 10 easily. I would suggest you try it either a decant or sample vial from fourseasonsproducts.com (they sell 4 mini vials for $5. I have some on the way)

Sorry Giraffe got a little off topic. Should have posted my predictions. These are according to the vibe I get from being on basenotes for about a month or so.

North I really think Geir may cruise judging from what I've read from reviews and posts. My only sleeper in this region is Bulgari Black (fingers crossed)

West may be wide open since GIT seems to be controversial. I think Egoiste may have a chance to make some noise. The match up of the first round I think is Piper Nigrum vs M7 Fresh because I know they both have many supporters

East I have to say I think Chergui may take this region. I guess it will depend on who is online and voting that day to see if Rive Gauche can pull it's nomination weight as a first seed.

South I think M7 is a mighty sleeper as an 11 seed. It is hard to find a negative post on M7. When I first joined basenotes I saw all the ravings and had to order a sample and I have to say it's the real deal. Now have a bottle. I was really surprised to see Zino get so many nominations. I used to own a bottle and thought it was good but not great. Also I think there are 2 intriguing matchups in the first round. 5 vs 12 D and G PH vs. Le dandy and 4 vs 13 Musc Ravageur vs SMW. Powerhouses going at it.

I might as well refrain from making predictions, as this year's March Madness was filled with upsets. Anything, and I mean anything, can happen!

I really don't think that BB stands a chance against some of the beasts in its bracket such as Geir and A*Men, let alone against its relatively tame brother PH. You're right about GIT being too controversial to win, though any victory over GIT will be a close one. I think Piper is good enough to go far in its bracket, but the problem with it is that its not popular enough. Chergui blows Rive Gauche out of the water in terms of quality, but Rive Gauche poses a threat because it can help you get your arm bitten. I didn't even notice the MR vs. SMW matchup until you pointed it out, that is definately something to watch. That could totally screw over my pick of MR!

I am going to hit the hay. I'm still not sure what we should do regarding the time limit on the polls. I hope to find some opinions when I log on tomorrow. The first round should be 1 day or 2 days. Please post your input.

I'm going to give it a couple more hours for people to give their opinion on when polls should close for the 1st Round, but if no one posts I think I will keep it at 1 day only.

I'm going to give it a couple more hours for people to give their opinion on when polls should close for the 1st Round, but if no one posts I think I will keep it at 1 day only.
    Good call. It is not really fair to change the rules after the game has begun.

Given its following, surprised to see Dzing! only a #16...

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro
    Given its following, surprised to see Dzing! only a #16...
    Actually it was the 2nd to last one to get in. I let people nominate their top 10 for almost a week and Dzing was nominated very very late and then won a runoff with 19 others for a tiebreaker. But you're right I was surprised too. I was also surprised Kouros didn't get in.

Less than 6 hours of voting left. We have a few close games so come on guys lets vote if you haven't already.

Since the voting was supposed to end at 11 59pm on Monday night NYC time, I wrote down all the final scores since markc is not online to close the polls.

Sorry was 9 minutes late a little computer trouble. Thanks Chris for the help. I will now put up the West Region.

Sorry was 9 minutes late a little computer trouble. Thanks Chris for the help. I will now put up the West Region.
    No problem. Was trying to keep it as accurate as possible.

Why So Serious?

Wow, cant find PdN New York in any of these regions, totally unbelivable! It is such a classic on par with BdP and Santal Noble. > :'(
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Andrea Maack Coven
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Sorry but what's PdN New York? Also... in my predictions I failed to take note of Envy in the east... could pull off some upsets. If Envy and Chergui went head to head I would sit back and watch because I don't think I would feel comfortable making a decision of that magnitude.

I submit having all polls going on simultaneously instead of only one region at a time---and keep it at 3 days, or even 2 for those with ADHD. Most people can barrel through answering 50 poll questions in about 10 minutes. Keeping it at 3 days would also unload some of the burden of having to rush to put new ones up, as there would be a 3 day rest period.

By the way, I think you're doing a great job Mark. I know it takes a lot of work managing all this crazy stuff, but indeed, it is quite enjoyable. Thanks for your effort. *[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by Davisdujour
    I submit having all polls going on simultaneously instead of only one region at a time---and keep it at 3 days, or even 2 for those with ADHD. Most people can barrel through answering 50 poll questions in about 10 minutes. Keeping it at 3 days would also unload some of the burden of having to rush to put new ones up, as there would be a 3 day rest period.

By the way, I think you're doing a great job Mark. I know it takes a lot of work managing all this crazy stuff, but indeed, it is quite enjoyable. Thanks for your effort. *[smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    I am pretty sure that is the way I will do it after all the 1st round games. West Region ends tonight, East Thursday night, and South ends Friday night. Then the field is down to 32 and I will likely combine the regions. Thanks for the good suggestion.