Code of Conduct

Default Am I NUTS ??? (Long post - True story)

I became a member in August 2005. Ever since that I have been a regular. I lurked for a while, learning from the vast knowledge pool of BN members worldwide. *And then I started posting a little bit here and there. Now I log in during the day at work, and If I am not busy at the store, I read posts that I find interesting.

But what I enjoy most is when I get home around 10 or 10:30 PM. I can relax, log in, and reply to my PM’s and read more posts. This has been a regular habit , almost like going to my favorite neighborhood bar (hangout) and meeting my friends. Yes, I have talked to some of you on the phone, and some of you I have corresponded through PM’s and regular emails, so I do consider you as friends.

BUT this is what happened last night.

Got home about 10 PM. Tried to log in, could not!!!. I looked at the cable modem all lights were out. Oh No, No this cannot happen to me. I felt like the character Dustin Hoffman played in Rain Man, when he could not watch his favorite TV show. Immediately called Brighthouse and talked to a tech support guy.

Me : * * * * * * * * * * * *I need help, I cannot get on the internet. All the lights are
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *out on the modem. *

Tech Support: * * * * Sir, unplug the power cord from the modem and the
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *power outlet , and plug it back in again.
    Me : * * * * * * * * * * * *I already tried that.

Tech Support: * * * * *Sir, I am afraid your modem is fried. We will like to
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *replace that with a new modem.

Me: * * * * * * * * * * * * Do you have a location open where I can get the
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *replcaement RIGHT NOW……

Tech Support: * * * * *No sir, all the offices are closed, it is past 10 PM. We will
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *send somebody out tomorrow and replace it. Here is the
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *job number. (gives me the number)

Me: * * * * * * * * * * * * (Now started doing my Rain Man act) Oww, Oww, I need
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *to get on the internet now.

Tech Support: * * * * I am really sorry Sir, but we have a hardware problem and
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * we will replace that tomorrow. Is there anything else I can
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * do for you?

Me: * * * * * * * * * * * * Oww, I guess not, thank you.

And we hang up.

By now it is close to 11 PM. I go out in the garage and open the garage door . I start scoping all the neighbours homes. *Six houses down I see a light in a couple of rooms in the house. Ah, that is Julio’s house. He is an IT tech. I know he has computers in probably all his rooms hooked up on a *network.

I start heading that way and ring his doorbell. His wife Laticia opens the door.

Me: * * * * * * * * * * * * Oh hi Laticia, is Julio in?

Laticia : * * * * * * * * * Hi Vijay, no he is out of town on a business trip. Is
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *everything OK?

Me: * * * * * * * * * * * * Oh yes, yes, Laticia, I was expecting a very important
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *email from somebody (lying through my teeth) and my
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *cable modem is fried.

Laticia : * * * * * * *You can use Julio’s computer in his office inside. Come on in.

Me: * * * * * * *Thank you so much Laticia.

She leads me to the closet in the master bedroom. It was full of different monitors and all sorts of *computer equipment. I guess Julio converted his closet into an office. She turns a monitor on, nothing comes on. She tries a second and third monitor on, NOTHING !!!. By now I am doing my Rain Man act again. She looks at me.

Laticia : You know their was a power failure this afternoon
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *and everything was beeping in here so I turned off a lot
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *of things. The beeping was driving me crazy. Is it
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *that important for you to check your email tonight?

Me: (Rain Man act) Oww, yes yes it is Laticia.

She must have felt sorry for me, when she looked at my pathetic facial expressions.

Laticia : Tell you what *Vijay , Julio Jr (7 yr. old son) has a
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *computer in his room. Lets go try that.

Me: * Oh thank you Laticia.

She leads me into Julio Jr.’s bedroom. Julio is sleeping in his bed. She turns the computer on. I sit down click on the Internet explorer icon. Comes up with “Page not found error”. This is driving me crazy. I click on the network icon. “Network not connected” *I start doing my Rain Man act again!!!!!!!!!!

Laticia : Let me call Julio.

Me: Are you sure ? it’s almost 11:30.

Laticia : Oh yes don’t worry about it.

She must have felt its better to call Julio, rather than call an ambulance for me, the way I was acting. She gets on the phone with Julio, explains everything to him and hands me the phone.

Julio: Hi Vijay, looks like the power outage affected
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * everything. Tell you what my daughter’s
    Computer is on the same router and is hardwired, so
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * you should be able to log on from there.

Me: Thank you so much Julio.

I hand the phone back to Laticia, she talks to him and hangs up. She leads me to her almost 18 yr daughters bedroom and turns the computer on. Daughter was working at a store and they were doing some inventory so she was not home. Computer is on, I click on the explorer, SAME ERROR “ Page not found”. This is driving me crazy. RAIN MAN ACT AGAIN!!!!.

Laticia immediately calls Julio, while she is talking, we are walking back to Julio’s office. She is turning different switches on frantically while on the phone and watching me pacing back and forth. A set of light
    comes on a certain equipment (the Router). She exclaims “that’s it” on the phone to Julio and hangs up.

We walk back to her daughters room reboot the PC. I click on the explorer and there, we finally got on.

Laticia : There, *I will leave you alone, check your email.

Me: Thank you so much Laticia.

She leaves the room muttering you are welcome.

I get in basenotes while I hear the daughter walking in the front door. I read one post quickly, see I have a PM from Sixcats. I had posted on his thread "I'm a NASTY BAD BOY! (and...loooving it!)."

He had a question. I quickly replied to it and logged off. First correspondence with Sixcats. I feel I have gained another new friend.

THERE I GOT MY FIX, I was happy.

I thanked Laticia and her daughter, and while I was outside the house Laticia asked me if I got the email I was expecting. I said oh yes (lied) and gave her a hug. My wife was wondering where I was, it is almost midnight, she is outside and I didn’t realize that she was watching me give Laticia a hug. I walk in the house and she asks me why I was hugging Laticia. (That my friends is another story).

I ask you my friends AM I F!@#%^G *NUTS or is this normal??

Well before I posted this I paid to become a supporting member. So this is my first post as a supporting member, I feel good and I don’t ever want to be without my Basenote friends. I finally got my warm glow.

Warm glow : Supporting Members can feel good about themselves for helping Basenotes keep going.”

Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Default Re: Am I NUTS ??? (Long post - True story)

Ummm ... to answer your question ... yeah, you are nuts.

But to further answer your question ... you're no more nuts than most of us. So jut sit back and feel comfortable ya' sick bastard!!! ;D ;D ;D

I feel your pain, Vijay. Nearly the same thing has happened to me (although I just waited until I got to work the next day to check the forum).

If I had a phone line, I would maintain an 'emergency' dialup connection for situations like that (not necessarily for basenotes alone).

I think I get into you 'rain man' mood when I order a new frag and 6 or 7 days later I still haven't received it. I actually get pretty bummed out about it.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

You are not nuts, rather... thinking of a word... passionate! 8-)

Funny as hell. Love the reference to Rainman
    Peace ~ Markymark

yes my good man, i'm afraid that you are indeed nuts.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Wow, Vijay what a great story. I would not know what to do if I could not get my daily fix. I am on so often that I would not know what to do with myself if I could not. I don't think I've ever really had a problem with getting on but if do... I don't even want to think about it.

You went though a lot just to get a little taste for the day. I applaud your efforts.

Oh, yeah. YAY for supporters!!!! Glad to see you join. I knew you would eventually.

Take care. Glad to see you are able to still post!

EnvYuS

You're the opposite of nuts. The people who ARE nuts are the ones who think we should live to work instead of working to live. In the compelling and funny (self deprecating humour -- being able to laugh at yourself and being round the bend cannot coexist) scenario you described, as I read it, your Basenotes connection represents, in your mind, your right to connect with a world that has nothing to do with The Job, even though in your case (I gather) your job is selling fragrances. It represents your ability to have and to exercise some degree of contol over your life and, especially, over technology, rather than having the technology control you.

That's my take on it, anyway.

Abraham Maslow wrote,'What shall we say of a happy slave?'

Roxoff

Not nuttiness, but dedication. I too, am new (to posting), but I already feel I know some members (if not by name, by nick). Hope to stay on basenotes for a long long time, and I always enjoy the warm companionship here.

is laticia cute?

You know, your wife may have your nuts if she catches you huggin' the neighbor lady again.
    Peace ~ Markymark

Quote Originally Posted by czesc
    is laticia cute?
    czesc you have a dirty mind my friend . In answer to your question "Yes"
    but i had an agenda and a mission-GET MY FIX.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Quote Originally Posted by Markymark
    You know, your wife may have your nuts if she catches you huggin' the neighbor lady again. *
    Mark,

I really needed to laugh today and this comment really made me, thanks my friend I needed that. ;D.

Vijay.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Hi Vijay,

Ya know Vijay, I don't believe I ever greeted you with (the following) when you joined Basenotes....so "Welcome to the MADNESS!" Now you know first hand why I greet newcomers this way! Great story!

Regards,
    SixCats!

Glad to make you chuckle, Viijay. You're one of my faves.
    Peace ~ Markymark

Yeah thanks for the chuckle Mark.

But I tell you it has been a roller coaster day, Just got off the phone with the cable guy and they replaced the Modem. Still does not work, after troubleshhoting they think its the cable line, (inside the house or outside they don't know.) They wont be able to fix that until MONDAY. (RAIN MAN ACT AGAIN).

I do get the internet connection but it is intermittent. Seems like a lot of incoming and outgoing packets are getting lost.

So If I get on and reply to someone and if it is half a reply you will know why.

I am still at the store, so I can get this post out before I go home.

Looks like more hugs for Laticia .

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Great story Vijay! I recall before i had my own computer in my loft, I had to drive an hour to my folks to use theirs. I hate to imagine how much I spent in gas and polluted the air... Oh well, I had to have my 'Notes. My folks have a terribly unreliable internet connection. It's ALWAYS out of service. Drives me nuts.

I got to the point in your story where you were reading SixCats soon to be a classic "I'm a BAD BOY AND LOVING IT" thread, and I got a little ahead of myself. I thought you were gonna say that the daughter walked in and saw you on her computer with the "I'M a BAD BOY" thread posted across the screen in Six's trademark CAPS. Oh, that would have been SO hard to explain!

Anyway, glad you got your computer problem ironed out!

BTW, I have a hot date tomorrow...glad you reminded me, I need to get down to K-Mart for some new underwear! Yeah, Yeah, definitely K-Mart!

Oh man, nice story! You just made me feel very good about all the time I spend at Basenotes my friend!

Thanks friends for posting and letting me know that I am sane .. er NUTS. Coming from all the nuts here . I dont mind that.

Indie a special honor from you for posting on my thread. I consider you the King of storytellers at Basenotes . Don't forget K-Mart closes early in some cities, so get there early, otherwise you would have to do the Rain Man act, and there would be no Laticia to help you out either, and give you a hug . Ah Yes the part of the daughter coming in the room and seeing sixcats "I'M a BAD BOY" thread posted across the screen would have been hilarious and difficult to explain.

Robi glad I made you feel good. have a safe and wonderful trip and your Montale samples will be there waiting for you when you get back.

Roxoff, I always try to laugh at myself, that is how I keep myself sane in this insane world .

EnvYus, I am at home and posting from there, so I don't know why the cable guy said that I still had a line problem.

Czesc that means I don't get to see Laticia tonight, drat.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Thank you Vijay for such a great story, i know the feeling, basenotes is a drug, an internet form of crack...

That does seem a tad obsessive.
    Anyhow, if is a problem that may recurr (e.g. power outage) and you find it too annoying, why not have a pre paid dial up card as a back up? Or a friend's account details?
    I have my girlfriend's and sister-in-law's accounts set up on my laptop in case of a power failure - all I have to do is plug the phone extension cord *into the phone socket, and I am connected again, albeit slowly.

But I decided that this backup system, while it worked, was a bit of a pain - having to find the cord by candle light. ( I have actually had fun typing away on Basenotes by candlelight on a few occasions in the past - while waiting for the power to come back, so that I could brush my teeth, have a shower and go to bed).

So since then I've put uninterruptable power supplies on each of the cable mode and laptop. So the power can go out all night long, and I'd still be connected at high speed. So far, I've used it in this mode for an hour and a half, after lightning hit a nearby substation.
    Renato

Why So Serious?

Wow, i really have to nominate this as the best story of the year. The story pulled me right away, and then became deeper with sense of mysteries, also very funny at some parts, especially the Rain Man comparison and the ending. Should've put this cool story in the article section and name it "Disconnection: The journey of a mad fragman that disturbed the neighbours and ended up with an angry wife" Thanks for the good read! By the way, you are definitely not nuts, you are insane! In a good way though, all basenoters are insane at some point, like this one time..........................o heck i dont want to start a story now.

[smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt
    I think I get into you 'rain man' mood when I order a new frag and 6 or 7 days later I still haven't received it. I actually get pretty bummed out about it.

-ben
    DEFINTELY. I know exactly what you're talking about. Waiting for my Guerlain Vetiver as the weather is getting warm here in Chicago!!!

Quote Originally Posted by maisonstinky
    [quote author=Markymark link=1145565357/0#9 date=1145571943]You know, your wife may have your nuts if she catches you huggin' the neighbor lady again. *
    Mark,

I really needed to laugh today and this comment really made me, thanks my friend I needed that. *;D.

Vijay.[/quote]

Yo Vijay,

being Indian myself, I'm having a ball imagining your wife's reaction to your hug with Laticia. ;D ;D

Good luck sorting that out....

I am like rain man also, eating cheetos with toothpicks, pacing around in my whitey tighties and spraying cologne... Ow!!
    And if i can't get on the internet, i'll slap myself on the head repeateadly and scream bloody murder!!! *;D

Great story, btw.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I think it's time for a change of name: from Basenotes to Basenuts! ;D
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Now Vijay, suppose you went out in the garage and opened the garage door and found a 1949 Buick THAT would have been strange...

Your story is the weirdest one I have ever read on this board. You won the nuttiest award!

I'm so happy to learn that your story didn't start with "One time, at band camp..." ;D
    The Bark Bites Back.

Quote Originally Posted by DrOfTheSoul
    [quote author=maisonstinky link=1145565357/0#11 date=1145572903
    Yo Vijay,

being Indian myself, I'm having a ball imagining your wife's reaction to your hug with Laticia. *;D ;D

Good luck sorting that out....
    Well you are assuming she is of Indian descent too.... Not !
    She is second generation Italian. Have you ever tried explaining to an Italian girl..........aw, forget about it ;D.

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Good read Vijay, this is an addictive site.

Great story Vijay,

I weave back and forth on the line between sanity and insanity all the time. Most of the time I drive left of center as the police would say. Any way I recognize a fellow traveller when I see one. May we pause on our journy and refresh ourselves at the Inn of the disorientals and confusticateds for a few well deserved spritzes of our favorite stinks I must say.

It is my distinct pleasure to call you
    My basenotes friend

Rick/docpsycho
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    I think it's time for a change of name: from Basenotes to Basenuts! *;D

Nice story Vijay! Thanks for sharing with us your passion!

Quote Originally Posted by docpsycho
    Great story Vijay,

I weave back and forth on the line between sanity and insanity all the time. *Most of the time I drive left of center as the police would say. *Any way I recognize a fellow traveller when I see one. *May we pause on our journy and refresh ourselves at the Inn of the disorientals and confusticateds for a few well deserved spritzes of our favorite stinks I must say.

It is my distinct pleasure to call you
    *My basenotes friend

* * Rick/docpsycho
    Thank you Rick (Ah gained another friend)

And thank you everyone that has posted on this thread and loved the story. I really needed to share this experience and maybe put a on everybody's face, i.e. everybody that read this. I hope I accomplished that, checking the replies I think I did, and that makes me feel good.

Have a great rest of the weekend.

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"