Code of Conduct

Thread: DEMETER Vetiver

Default DEMETER Vetiver

Hello,
    Has anyone tried Demeter's Vetiver? Is it pure vetiver or blended with other notes?
    How about their other single-note titles? I know that the creative ones (e.g., Dirt, Gin and Tonic, etc.) are synthetic but what about the single notes?
    What about their overall quality?
    Sephora seems to carry only a handful of them but many more can be ordered form Demeter's web site. I'd like to know before I attempt that.
    Any info will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    RM

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DEMETER Vetiver

They are all synthetic, and striking concoctions. You'll be amazed at the flavorants they use, and how stunningly they evoke "Dirt" or "rain" or "Early grey tea". It really makes me marvel at what chemistry can do. The downside is that they have no staying power whatsoever. The smell is gone as soon as the spritz dissipates in the air. this is why they are marketed as "pick me up"s rather than proper EdTs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance Man
    Hello,
    Has anyone tried Demeter's Vetiver? <snip> Any info will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    RM
    RM,

Here is my review of this scent, which I evaluated for my Vetiver Redux thread last summer:

"Vétiver from the Demeter Fragrance Library. I couldn't find out much about the composition of this fragrance, though I suppose it's possible that it is a single note scent. In any event, this is a light and slightly sweet fragrance. The vetiver is not that noticeable, rather there is a smell not unlike maple syrup, though not this sweet. This could be a vetiver bourbon, come to think of it, for there does seem like a sweetish fermentation took place. I used 1/2 of a 1/24th oz. test vial, and it is almost gone within one hour."

I hope this is helpful to you.

Jeff

Thank you for the replies...and yes, very helpful.
    It doesn't seem like D's are worth the trouble.
    RM

I don't like it. Too bland, too synthetic, too much of nothing important. Not very green nor very earthy.
    You're better off buying a vetiver essential oil. But if you want a vetiver based frag, there are plenty on the directory and here the best would be guerlain's.

...You're better off buying a vetiver essential oil. But if you want a vetiver based frag, there are plenty on the directory and here the best would be guerlain's...

Thank you. Yes, of course I already own GV : ) but I was hoping to find a way to enhance and layer with plain vetiver. I have tried the essential oil. The problem is when the scent goes away, I get an oily/pungent smell on my skin (even from the pure essential oil not diluted in a carrier, true with any es). This never happens to me with a commercial fragrance. For that reason, I stayed away and thought a perfumer's blended/stabilized version might do better.
    I'll keep looking. Even with the "dirtiest/earthiest" vet fragrances described on the directory, I see a lot of other notes along with vetiver. I'm looking for vetiver with minimum interference.
    RM

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking for vetiver with minimum interference.
    RM
    I'll assume, then, that you've tried both MPG's Route du Vetiver and Vetiver by Lorenzo Villoresi? If so, what were your impressions? The first, especially, is about as sharp and pure a vetiver note as I've expereienced, with some black currant to eventually even things out. The LV Vetiver, by contrast, contains sandalwood and pepper for the same purpose, lending it a smoky character. Special mention goes to L'Artisan's Vetiver for another rendition of a relatively straightforward and impressive vetiver scent.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the replies...and yes, very helpful.
    It doesn't seem like D's are worth the trouble.
    RM

They aren't worth it in terms of fine fragrance, but I don't mind because they don't claim to be. There are a few I really like to have anyway. Sometimes I like to put Wet Garden on--knowing it's like an added topnote and that I'm not committed all day. I find them just...interesting! They fill a space in my scent drobe like costume jewelry does in my jewelry wardrobe. For instance, one of my all time favorite rings that I'd cry to lose is an old Avon ring from who knows when.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

...I'll assume, then, that you've tried both MPG's Route du Vetiver and Vetiver by Lorenzo Villoresi?...

No, I haven't tried these and for the same reason as I mentioned. I'm afraid to pay those prices only to get a very "busy" composition. I've also read good things about FM Vetiver Extraordinaire.
    I don't know...I guess I'll find something someday. Thanks for the advice though.
    RM

Post Thanks / Like

...I'll assume, then, that you've tried both MPG's Route du Vetiver and Vetiver by Lorenzo Villoresi?...

No, I haven't tried these and for the same reason as I mentioned. I'm afraid to pay those prices only to get a very "busy" composition. I've also read good things about FM Vetiver Extraordinaire.
    I don't know...I guess I'll find something someday. Thanks for the advice though.
    RM
    Not that it matters, but you seem to have missed the meaning of my post. I have recommended RdV and LV Vetiver for you to try because they are among the LEAST BUSY vetiver scents that I have experience with. And who said anything about blindly paying for a full bottle? There are plenty of places you can order a tiny sample of either scent (and many more) for a dollar or two. Just do it!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff H.
    I think I'll go ahead now!
    RM