Code of Conduct

Default The [base]Notes Analogy - perfume and art

I was talking to HackerX about my being involved in giving fragrance seminars to my peers. And I've been refining this analogy that I thought of to describe the note pyramids and the structure of a fragrance.

A fragrance is a painting. The viewer sees the sketch of the final product scribbled onto the canvas. The painter adds strokes to the painting, and overtime, the older strokes dry and fade into canvas, adding to the color of the painting. Now, the true vibrancy of the painting is contributed by the current stroke(s). The quality of the masterpiece is the dancing of the strokes and the filling of the pencil sketch that is laid out before you. It is the whole painting process that is the money. Imagine a child filling in a coloring book. Now, imagine Monet's painting his waterlilies. This is the difference between what I deem as a complex or boring fragrance.

- Alex

Oh yeah, so I added the sketch part because when you initially spray the fragrance, you actually experience most of the notes and you become generally familiar with the direction in which the fragrance is going.

I've extended this analogy to music and have made it my own - see if you can tell this story in terms of music. What can I do to add more to this analogy such that it is more "accurate" in portraying the concept? Do you have one for yourself?

Why So Serious?

Default Re: The [base]Notes Analogy - perfume and art

Alex, this is an incredible post, let me add one thing.

When i see an abstract painting, it reminds me right away of some of my fragrances that have their notes clashed among themselves, the end result is a bit of everything, yet a bit of nothing. *These fragrances to my nose are masterpiece, just like the art itself. *

Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

I like how you put it. It makes perfect sense with the painting where there is a background, which is the base and foundation for the entire painting (basenotes of a frag.). Then the middle and fore ground which you see right away but after looking harder the true essence is revealed.

I love it. Great analogy. I wish they used this one on my SAT's I would have done so much better...
    ;D
    EnvYuS

Edit: Hack, I don't see this as an abstract painting at all but I could understand it if the canvas was considered the base of the painting or the basenotes of a fragrance. I consider it a Bob Ross painting where things come out of no where!!

Analogies *themselves *are the 'Perfume' of that to which they are analogous.

The mystery is, Art , Music. Food, Fragrance, Texture all provide analogy for what is not and never could be *analagous.

No different from any other analogy , Music, like Fragrance is merely a window, an opportunity to capture the essence of EXACTLY WHAT sees through it.

The perfume of THAT is the source of all joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Guidion
    Analogies themselves are the 'Perfume' of that to which they are analogous.

The mystery is, Art , Music. Food, Fragrance, Texture all provide analogy for what is and never could be analagous.

No different from any other analogy , Music, like Fragrance is merely a window, an opportunity to capture the essence of EXACTLY WHAT sees through it.

The perfume of THAT is the source of all joy.
    Well said. Well said. I need to respend some time thinking about perceptions of art.

Wow! I know I must wait for my good ol' buddies to read a very interesting thread!!! Indeed great thread Alex! I could even imagin Wassilj Kandinskij (1866-1944) letting vibrate the paintbrush in the air before sketching out lines on canvas!
    Guidion, I was just thinking to cooking as another analogy for art: raw materials are important but they're not all. Moreover the way you blend colors from pumpkin orange to sepia, shapes from natual to artificial, textures from crunchy to frothy things, tastes from spycy to sweet and sour and wonderful smells makes every dish so different: same ingredients can be mixed in different ways obtaining really boring or surprising effects! *
    And as for perfumes a dish must have a good taste but also an appealing "package"!

Speaking of cooking, do ya like my last recipe? It's Mag au chocolat

First of all, art is artificial and has nothing to do with nature.

Therefore, all arts exist only in human mind. The quality in art is not universal as compared to the quality from nature. Show a Monet and a children's painting to a chimpanzee and it won't recognise the quality, show the monkey a banana and a plastic banana and it knows which one has quality. Our appreciation of arts including perfume is only relevant to us humans and since we are all different, our perception of quality tends to be subjective. Or else we will all be loving the same fragrance and that will be boring!

Painting doesn't captured the movement of scents as well as music, perfume transit from top to bottom notes like musical chords. Painting is static, no changes occurred thru time. Many people like using music to describe perfume, as there are many similarities between the composition of music and perfume. The perfume pyramid is like a triad - a musical chord. Oriental is in minor chord and fresh ones are in major chord. Perfumery requires harmony where all the notes progress without causing a distortion, exactly the same way music composition is achieved. The transition from top to middle and basenotes requires smooth modulation, which again is another skill required for music. Perfume is really music condenses in a bottle - it is music that you can wear and silently whisper to those around you.

Well, what kind of frag would a Jackson Pollock painting transmogrify into?
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Why So Serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent
    Wow! I know I must wait for my good ol' buddies to read a very interesting thread!!! Indeed great thread Alex! I could even imagin Wassilj Kandinskij (1866-1944) letting vibrate the paintbrush in the air before sketching out lines on canvas!
    Guidion, I was just thinking to cooking as another analogy for art: raw materials are important but they're not all. Moreover the way you blend colors from pumpkin orange to sepia, shapes from natual to artificial, textures from crunchy to frothy things, tastes from spycy to sweet and sour and wonderful smells makes every dish so different: same ingredients can be mixed in different ways obtaining really boring or surprising effects! *
    And as for perfumes a dish must have a good taste but also an appealing "package"!

Speaking of cooking, do ya like my last recipe? It's Mag au chocolat *

Now, that is what i call "art".
    "What is that you're cookin? It smells like A*men"
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese