Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Habit Rouge Eau de Parfum

Wow. This has got to be one of the must-have winter frags. I had my doubts about this one when I first read about it, but true to the grand fashion of vintage GUERLAIN, they have restored my faith once again.
    The most amazing aspect of this new version is the respect for the orginal, in the same instance, offering the buyer a more contemporay fashion statement, congruent with the the new millinium.
    The original Habit Rouge created in 1965, is a monument and hallmark in male oriental frags and this EDP is no doubt a tribuite to that.
    It opens with a slightly less citrus burst, the immediate powerdry aura of the basenotes of the original given a premature debut. I suspect it is iris that gives this powdery aura, even though they do not mention it as one of the ingredients.
    This brief encounter with citrus is short lived, as the neroli, cinnamon, aniseed and pepper annouce their presence. The key to this fragrance is that meanwhile, the basenotes are never quite muffled, but stand shoulder to shoulder with the top and middle notes as the fragrance evolves. I will go as far as to say right of the bat, the balsamic base is on par with the hesprides in terms of strength. This sweet, powdery base reminds me of Johnson & Johnson's baby lotion in the baby pink bottle my mother used to use.
    From here, you are left with a sensual trail of vanilla, incense(oud) and leather that is sure to raise more than a few eyebrows as you enter the room.
    This provocative, sedutive Edp version comes in 100ml spray and is delivered in the same bottle as the edt, disguised in a very sexy red leather jacket with red silk stitching down its sides.
    Again, an essential to those who fancy the original, and maybe even those who are not yet part of this cult following.

Default Re: Habit Rouge Eau de Parfum

Ridgeback,
    Where did you purchase your HR edp? I've been looking here and there for it.
    Thank you
    Graffham
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Quote Originally Posted by graffham
    Ridgeback,
    Thank you
    Graffham

Well, there's this:
    http://www.escentual.co.uk/guerlain/...itrouge10.html

Though the pic says "eau de toilette" so it may be a typo

The edp is excellent, structurally similar to Shalimar, but I prefer the vintage edt.
    Last edited by pluran; 24th May 2011 at 05:53 PM.
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

The entire universe is based upon your ability to conclude the new idea which is the summoning forth of the new life into the new space.

Quote Originally Posted by graffham
    Ridgeback,
    Thank you
    Graffham
    Hi there,

I don't know about ordering from eccentual as I did not hear very good reports about it. Maybe ask other basenoters if they have experience ordering from this company.
    I bought my bottle of EDP from an ebay seller in France. He only had 1 bottle. You just have to keep looking. I actually logged on to www.ebay.fr as I know a little french and was able to communicate with the seller. But even if you don't, french people are nice and will use english. I bought mine for about $50 US including postage. Not a bad buy. Good luck or as they say in french, bon chance!

Cheers!

OK, I am a complete Habit Rouge fan and I have to say that the Eau de Parfum version is stunning. It's the completely integrated agarwood middle (and base) that somehow magically updates the whole formulation. Weird - especially as agarwood is one of the oldest perfume materials known to man (the Chinese have records of using it as incense as early as pre-Han i.e. before the age of the Roman Empire!).
    One big tip.. If you can get over the absolutely stunning leather bottle.. try to make it down to La Maison Guerlain on the Champs Elysees or their stand at Galleries Lafayette in Paris.. buy the 500 ml Bee bottle of HR Eau de Parfum (it's about the same price as 2 leather 100 ml bottles!! do the maths, it's amazing) and decant it into a nice solid vaporisateur of your own choice bit by bit...
    Also, maybe go online and email / telephone and see if they might ship!
    The lovely saleswoman at La Maison Guerlain next to Sephora on the Champs Elysees was the one who told me the economy of this...
    and I followed her advice...
    cheers!
    Zenman7
    Last edited by zenman7; 16th August 2010 at 08:23 AM.

I am trying to track down a bottle of the Habit Rouge EDP in the U.S.--the one in the plain leather bottle. This potion is the ticket with its addition of oud.

I might have a chance to have a pal buy some at the GL or the Champs-Elysees store, but that might not be for awhile.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

My thanks in advance for any responses.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I am trying to track down a bottle of the Habit Rouge EDP in the U.S.--the one in the plain leather bottle. This potion is the ticket with its addition of oud.

I might have a chance to have a pal buy some at the GL or the Champs-Elysees store, but that might not be for awhile.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

My thanks in advance for any responses.
    The Boutiques have it, but not in the leather bottle, only as Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier. Same juice though. Who knows how long until they pull it off the market.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    The Boutiques have it, but not in the leather bottle, only as Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier. Same juice though. Who knows how long until they pull it off the market.
    I was going to ask that. I have the Beau Cavalier which I got at Saks Fifth Avenue. I knew it was EdP, just didn't know if the version everyone is referencing is a different version of EdP.

Seems a bit smoother to me.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I was going to ask that. I have the Beau Cavalier which I got at Saks Fifth Avenue. I knew it was EdP, just didn't know if the version everyone is referencing is a different version of EdP.

Seems a bit smoother to me.
    It's the same as HR EDP, just a different packaging.

Blog Entries

I have the Beau Cavalier and, to me, it is richer and more cinnamony. The bottle looks kind of cheap in pictures, which does not do it justice. When I got mine I thought better of it. The EDT is very nice, but the Beau Cavalier is up another notch. Well worth the extra cost IMO.

The EDP is really another scent entirely from the EDT. It is more of a flanker than a simple change in concentration. The basic composition has changed so much with the addition of new notes and the subduing of other ones. I love the EDP, but comparing it to the EDT is almost comparing chalk to cheese IMO.

Its funny as I was comparing HR EDC and HR EDP yesterday and adore the EDP! The only one Im yet to try is the EDT.
    I am also on the hunt for a reasonably priced EDP.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

The EDP is really another scent entirely from the EDT. It is more of a flanker than a simple change in concentration. The basic composition has changed so much with the addition of new notes and the subduing of other ones. I love the EDP, but comparing it to the EDT is almost comparing chalk to cheese IMO.
    Agreed.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Thank you, all.

Nick and mrclmind, I do adore the EDP and like the agarwood addition--it makes the composition much richer. It's still our citrus/leather HR...but more of an "evening scent," if I may venture. The HR EDT is a light daytime scent, IMO.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Thank you, all.

Nick and mrclmind, I do adore the EDP and like the agarwood addition--it makes the composition much richer. It's still our citrus/leather HR...but more of an "evening scent," if I may venture. The HR EDT is a light daytime scent, IMO.
    I know many people who would disagree with the idea of HR EDP being "light" who live with me LOL.

I know many people who would disagree with the idea of HR EDP being "light" who live with me LOL.
    I think you mistook my comparison of the EDP with the EDT, mrclmind.

BTW, when one wears Dior Poison...anything can be considered "light" fragrance! LOL!

I think you mistook my comparison of the EDP with the EDT, mrclmind.

BTW, when one wears Dior Poison...anything can be considered "light" fragrance! LOL!
    Oops, I actually meant to say EDT. People in my house think EDT is not light... they think it is one of the stronger scents I wear...

I need to try the EDP. I haven't fallen in love with the EDC or EDT (but do like them). Perhaps I will love this one.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    I need to try the EDP. I haven't fallen in love with the EDC or EDT (but do like them). Perhaps I will love this one.
    I don't truly love Habit Rouge EdT, but the EdP is growing on me. Sample it.

Basenotes Institution

After sampling the EdP it has easily shot 1st in line, to be my next full-bottle-purchase. I'm currently obsessing about a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    After sampling the EdP it has easily shot 1st in line, to be my next full-bottle-purchase. I'm currently obsessing about a bottle.
    As am I, Mike, as am I.

Can someone tell me if the EDP is a limited release or in regular distribution? It seems to be out of stock where I happen to be searching...
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 5th April 2010 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Can someone tell me if the EDP is a limited release or in regular distribution? It seems to be out of stock where I happen to be searching...
    I think it's in regular distribution, though I'm not sure how widely available it is. I found it here:

http://www.escentual.com/guerlain/ha.../habitrouge10/

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    I think it's in regular distribution, though I'm not sure how widely available it is. I found it here:

The notes listed on this link do not show the aoud (agarwood), which is a nice difference from the habit Rouge EDT. The EDP is very much Habit Rouge with its citrus/leather, but a dash of agarwood.
    Last edited by Primrose; 6th April 2010 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post

Thank you Will

Basenotes Institution

Wearing this from my sample today. Gosh, it's good.

One can see, the evolution of this scent, from the EdC to Dry to EdT to Light to Eau de Parfum to L' Extrait. The EdP and L'Extrait have a very similar warm vibe to them, almost as if burning embers are smoking nearby the citrus and vanilla of the original. Fantastic and not necessarily out of place on a hot, sunny day like today here in Miami.

Can't wait to own this.

Thank you, all.

I agree with you about this being more of an evening scent. I love Habit Rouge and have it in most of its incarnations. the EDP however is a flanker which both complements the original and introduces a new dimension to the fragrance.

Habit Rouge EDP is magnificent though unfortunately for my wallet I cannot possibly imagine living without both the EDT and EDP at the same time! Its particularly nice to wear the EDT one day and then the EDP the next. A great way to wear essentially the same scent two days in a row with a interesting twist (in the form of the agarwood).

Quote Originally Posted by wicozani View Post
    As am I, Mike, as am I.
    I'm also gagging for this...
    Let your nose be your pilot

Smile Re: Habit Rouge Eau de Parfum

Agreed!!!!!!

There is something better then the EdP, if you can get it.
    The best version of Habit Rouge must be the extrait, everything is concentrated in there. You must smell.
    I only have a sample of HR, in EdT version. I was like "WOW" when I smelled it.
    The EdT is cheap, through, so you can always get a bottle from the perfume store near you.
    The EdP lasts much longer and it is different. The EdT lasts long enough for me, but the EDP has to last longer.
    I don't know how the EdP smells, and I just can't find it. What more do I have to do then go to the perfume store ?
    How much do I have to go to get HR EdP ? This is a bad joke, Guerlain ! It isn't funny ! On the internet I can't find it too.
    The extrait is just allmost impossible to find. Why, Guerlain ? You must make your fragrances accessible to people.
    The vintage version is unfindable. What a bad joke, Guerlain !
    How can so many people talk about the EdP and Extrait and I can't find it ?

Jimi Hendrix
    Last edited by Jimi Hendrix; 9th April 2010 at 08:26 AM.

Hey Jimi! There's a seller on Ebay.co.uk who is selling brand new 100ml bottles of Guerlain Habit Rouge Eau de Parfum - the price is £45.99 (+£5.99 P+P to Romania) that's 244.89 Lei - not sure whether that's expensive or not! Hope this helps! Keep Rockin'

Hello guys,

I've been reading threads but not sharing. But this time, I would like to say that my full bottle of Habit Rouge EDP which I bought at Ebay for 90.00 USD (shipping included) was worth it. Great bottle, great transition of notes from citrus to balmy to slight powdery/soapy with a moderate presence of agarwood. This fragrance made me decide not to buy Eau de Savage Parfum version as I feel both had almost the same top but took path differently from heart to base. I may not have Habit EDT yet but with this EDP on my possession now, this is truly a wonderful blind buy. Scent is top notch, sillage is just fine and longevity is great. It smells executive and great for evening events on spring, fall and winter seasons. Habit Rouge EDP, Ferrari Essence Oud, L'Occitane Vetiver, Slumberhouse Norne and Guerlain Vetiver Extreme are my new successful blind buys. Happy smelling to all.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello guys,

I've been reading threads but not sharing. But this time, I would like to say that my full bottle of Habit Rouge EDP which I bought at Ebay for 90.00 USD (shipping included) was worth it. Great bottle, great transition of notes from citrus to balmy to slight powdery/soapy with a moderate presence of agarwood. This fragrance made me decide not to buy Eau de Savage Parfum version as I feel both had almost the same top but took path differently from heart to base. I may not have Habit EDT yet but with this EDP on my possession now, this is truly a wonderful blind buy. Scent is top notch, sillage is just fine and longevity is great. It smells executive and great for evening events on spring, fall and winter seasons. Habit Rouge EDP, Ferrari Essence Oud, L'Occitane Vetiver, Slumberhouse Norne and Guerlain Vetiver Extreme are my new successful blind buys. Happy smelling to all.

I like Habit Rouge EDP but find it hard to wear until the weather gets colder. Even then it is a little sweet and tame for me to turn to it often. It is odd that a hard rocker like Keith Richards can wear Habit Rouge for years while the scent itself is so gentile and tame. I prefer these vanilla soft smooth fragrances to have a bit more green, leather or wood in their mix as in: Slumberhouse Norne, Penhaligon's English Fern, Invasion Barbare or Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur. But, no denying that HR is a classic.

I love the edp but for me the Vintage EDC is the best

Basenotes Institution

Welcome to Basenotes guthrie, good choice!

Like Buzzlepuff, I shy away from wearing the EdP in the hot S. Florida summer...however sometimes before bed I will spray on some. There is a wonderful element in the EdP that is magnified in the Extrait - sort of a scratchy wood note, that is addictive. It is a note that is not present at all in the vintage EdC (which happens to be my favorite version), nonetheless it is very unique.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I also love the EDP.

I just received this in the mail today. I had only tested the EDT and knew I needed it on the first try. I found the EDP online and bought it blind since it got such good reviews on here.

WOW! When I first sprayed it on and for the first 1-2 hours I was beginning to think I had made a mistake. The smell was unmistakably Habit Rouge but a little much. Then suddenly it became so smooth and creamy. Oh man this is one of the best ever made. Words are inadequate.

THE EDP version, although not often sold in the U.S., can be found at some discounters.

It is indeed a great scent!

Fantastic scent

I can't get over the powderiness of the EdT, but I own a bottle of the EdP and definitely enjoy it when I'm in the mood. Late in the day the oud peeks out here and there, giving the whole thing a woodsy allure.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I own the EDT version and love it; it's my go to frag, so, I would probably fall in love withe EDP if it could be found in the USA.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    I own the EDT version and love it; it's my go to frag, so, I would probably fall in love withe EDP if it could be found in the USA.
    I'm in the USA. I found a 3.4 oz. online for 90$. I felt like I got a fantastic deal.

[QUOTE=southerngardens;2754132]I own the EDT version and love it; it's my go to frag, so, I would probably fall in love withe EDP if it could be found in the USA.[/

Gardens, some online discounters in the US carry the EDP from time to time.

I would check their stock occasionally as you can find the EDP in the leather bottle. The latest EDP release was called Beau Cavalier in the shiny silver bottle covered with the Guerlain logo and stirrups.

I have purchased 3 bottles (1 to use, 1 backup and 1 for a friend) from ebay seller perfumedpot. They are the faux leather vintage bottles. I see they have gone up in price. All of mine have been legit and very nice indeed

Apologies for resurrecting this thread but, I used to wear this back in the day and, after seeing it yesterday as SOTD, I decided to once again go for it.
    It was a blind buy (no tester available) as I know it has been reformulated and, back in the 80's I had the EDT version. It was not on display at the Guerlain corner of Harrods and so, I had to ask for it. The clueless shop assistant had a hard time finding it but, success... they had it in stock!
    Very happy with this EDP version. so much so, that I might go for the Extrait on my next trip to Paris.
    Great stuff and wonderful trip down memory lane for me!
    Last edited by Viffer; 11th July 2014 at 12:05 PM.

Current top 10 (in no particular order)
    Guerlain HABIT ROUGE EDP
    IDOLE De Lubin Vintage EDT
    Roja Dove ROJA Parfum
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Boadicea The Victorious LEGEND
    YSL Splendid Wood
    Xerjoff HOMME
    Chanel Pour Monsieur EDP
    Annick Goutal MYRRHE ARDENTE
    Salvador Dali Pour Homme

Basenotes Institution

Viffer if you like the EdP then you will love the L'Extrait. Enjoy!
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I find the edp being more of a skin scent it does not project on me as the edt

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I find the edp being more of a skin scent it does not project on me as the edt
    +1.... I purchased a bottle and found it to be one of the worst projecting fragrances that I have ever tried. A total skin scent on me that can only be smelled if you bring your nose to wear you sprayed it.

This is not at all a skin scent on me, but I have one of the older "faux-leather" bottles... I actually prefer the edp to the extrait, since the extrait just seems like a more concentrated and lush version of the edt, whereas the edp turns into something entirely different, a more woody-leathery concoction, on my skin. My preferences are:

edp > extrait > edc (vintage) > edt

But don't get me wrong, I still like the edt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    +1.... I purchased a bottle and found it to be one of the worst projecting fragrances that I have ever tried. A total skin scent on me that can only be smelled if you bring your nose to wear you sprayed it.
    Been saying that for years...

I also found the original EDP (with oud) to be too murky to be enjoyed. Although not a fan, I much prefer the vintage EDT.

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    This is not at all a skin scent on me, but I have one of the older "faux-leather" bottles... I actually prefer the edp to the extrait, since the extrait just seems like a more concentrated and lush version of the edt, whereas the edp turns into something entirely different, a more woody-leathery concoction, on my skin. My preferences are:

edp > extrait > edc (vintage) > edt

But don't get me wrong, I still like the edt.
    Any version of the EDP is definitely a woodier affair.

I also never understood all the praise for the extrait. My God, what a wasted opportunity! If you have issues with the EDP, forget about investigating the extrait as its performance is even worse on the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I also never understood all the praise for the extrait. My God, what a wasted opportunity! If you have issues with the EDP, forget about investigating the extrait as its performance is even worse on the skin.
    I disagree with this, I get 10 hours from 5 sprays, although it is no sillage monster.

Nor do I have any grumbles about the longevity of my Beau Cavalier EdP bottle.

I find both of these outlast the EdT.

I own the earlier ("leather" covered) version of the EdP, and have never noticed any trouble with longevity or projection. It's not a monster, no, but hardly weak, and not a skin scent on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I disagree with this, I get 10 hours from 5 sprays, although it is no sillage monster.

Nor do I have any grumbles about the longevity of my Beau Cavalier EdP bottle.

I find both of these outlast the EdT.
    Of course you do - that's what makes us all individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I also love the EDP.
    I own the EDP version, and it's a classic masterpiece. It's about 4-5 years old, and comes in the all red box with the vertical line with the monogram on. I haven't tried the EDT, but some say the EDT project much better than the EDP. Is that correct?

Well, on my skin this EDP lasts the best part of 15h. It creates a 3 feet bubble around me for the first 3-4h, and during that time, silliage is very good indeed. Past the four hour mark it gradually comes closer to the skin, becoming a wrist to nose affair at the 12h mark, it stays there for another 2-4h. If in stock, I shall be getting the Extrait next month. Happy chappie here!

Current top 10 (in no particular order)
    Guerlain HABIT ROUGE EDP
    IDOLE De Lubin Vintage EDT
    Roja Dove ROJA Parfum
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Boadicea The Victorious LEGEND
    YSL Splendid Wood
    Xerjoff HOMME
    Chanel Pour Monsieur EDP
    Annick Goutal MYRRHE ARDENTE
    Salvador Dali Pour Homme

I'm another one which prefers the EDT over the EDP. "Murky" as Trebor put it is an apt description, it becomes overly stodgy and looses the sparkle and translucence which the classic EDT is renowned for.

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    I own the earlier ("leather" covered) version of the EdP, and have never noticed any trouble with longevity or projection. It's not a monster, no, but hardly weak, and not a skin scent on me.
    I own this one as well and can say it's indeed quite a different fragrance compared to the current edt which is way more powdery, citrus loud, no oud and projects way more first hour. The edt is good but the 'leather covered' edp is brilliant!
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - YSL: Opium Pour Homme Edp
    - Jacques Bogart: Bogart Pour Homme (2004)
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)