Code of Conduct

Default Acqua di Portofino

Just tried the sample, I can't find it listed under the directory so I'll do the review here.

Its an eau de parfum from Italy, meant for both men and women.

This is a mature fragrance in the same genre as Grey Flannel. Its not acqua in the sense of AdG, Issey or MI. Its actually a new fragrance, you'll never have guessed it - it smells like something from the 70s. Yes, this is a barbershop scent (just slightly). Personally I think its more suitable for men, nothing in it smells unisex to me.

The top notes is like Eau Sauvage, its lemony and citrus - but not sharp or bright, more like verbena type of citrus. As I have only tested it once, I can't captured most of the notes - theres a herbal, bitter drydown similar to Grey Flannel. I think it can be classified as a sophisticated aquatic fragrance, we all know how rare that is! Even though its got a subtle watery smell, I don't think its suitable for casual wear. Personally I won't buy it, as its not my type of scent, but I know a few members here will enjoy this one. Those who like fragrances from 70s and beyond, give it a try.

Default Re: Acqua di Portofino

To me it smelled like Armani Eau pour Homme. So you are right, it smells like something from the 70s or early 80s.

I tried it, found it lemon square. Fresh, pleasant, very appropriate for a hot climate!

I wrote about it here some two years ago. There are two versions - the EDT and the EDP - and I have both.

*To me, Acqua di Portofino smells more similar to YSL Homme, than to some of the others mentioned above. But there is one big difference from YSL Homme - both versions easily last a whole working day, whereas the YSL Homme barly makes it to the three hour mark on me.

It strikes me as more modern than YSL Homme or Eau Sauvage.
    Renato

If anyone is interested in sampling Acqua di Portofino, go to their website and request for a sample.

http://www.acquadiportofino.it

bought this blind off ebay and I am very satisfied with it. My impressions:

great citrus-tangerine opening, with a sweet bubblegum note (better than it sounds). Towards the middle I almost feared an eau sauvage effect (that one goes fecal on my skin), perhaps this is the tarragon (it clearly is the basil in eau sauvage) but it comes around to a very sophisticated green spicyness. For once the marketing imagery fits 100%, this speaks of cool forest, maritime elegance, Italian sophistication. This would match casual nautical wear as well as a white silk suit. While it has its feminine aspects, the slightly musky undertone might make this difficult to pull off for women. The base is sweet, in a pleasant, green way. This is somewhere between a citrus and a fougere to me. Good longevity for this kind of scent. All in all, clearly above average, 3-4 stars in my book.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life
    bought this blind off ebay and I am very satisfied with it. My impressions:

great citrus-tangerine opening, with a sweet bubblegum note (better than it sounds). Towards the middle I almost feared an eau sauvage effect (that one goes fecal on my skin), perhaps this is the tarragon (it clearly is the basil in eau sauvage) but it comes around to a very sophisticated green spicyness. For once the marketing imagery fits 100%, this speaks of cool forest, maritime elegance, Italian sophistication. This would match casual nautical wear as well as a white silk suit. While it has its feminine aspects, the slightly musky undertone might make this difficult to pull off for women. The base is sweet, in a pleasant, green way. This is somewhere between a citrus and a fougere to me. Good longevity for this kind of scent. All in all, clearly above average, 3-4 stars in my book.
    Glad you liked it - you'll love it this summer.
    I'm still scratching my head at the notion that any significant number of women would want to wear this one.
    The store I bought it from unambiguously stuck in the men's section.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 8th July 2006 at 03:25 PM.

I almost forgot about this one, now you made me want to try it again. Have to search for that little sample, I hope its still around!

I am a woman and I like Acqua di Portofino. It's so much cheaper than Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta. I guess to most women, such a scent would be seen as masculine. I have used other masculine scents as well, such as Grey Flannel and Egoiste when I am in the mood and I wear them to work.

I tend to wear feminine scents more, such as Calandre, Chanel No 5 and Caron Bellodgia.