Code of Conduct

Default Ugly Fragrance Breakdown

Has anyone noticed that with certain colognes, in the final hours as the remnants of the basenotes are starting to fade away, that they start to smell ugly and "broken"?

I know it's a bit abstract, but I can't think of a better way to describe it. It's like the basenote is still there, but it's breaking apart. It smells kind of like synthetic chemicals. It's rather unpleasant.

The ones that I notice that do this are Cool Water Deep, Xeryus Rouge, and Opium. I think Pi also does this, but I'm not sure. I'll find out in a few hours as I'm wearing it now. Actually Joop which is awful on me, smells like that almost from the getgo.

Zino doesn't do this, neither does M7, nor Concentré/Eau d'Orange Verte, Cool Water Summer Fizz or Drakaar. I forget if regular Cool Water does, but I don't think so.

If anyone is familliar with this phenomenon, what is the cause of it?

Thrax

Default Re: Ugly Fragrance Breakdown

I get the reverse. I think when you first put something on it can seem a bit chaotic. But after a few minutes of drying down, it smells good from then on.

I agree with GJC, but for me this phenomenon is much more common with later releases. Nice, eyecatching opening and then - blaah.

Examples:

Marc Jacobs
    Paco Ultraviolet
    Lacoste Red

MMM

I definately get this with some scents... but I have a hard time telling sometimes whether it's the scent's fault or it happens due to my actions, say if I sweat intensely or something. I can't think of all the scents that do this, but I think that Yang does sometimes, as well as Santal by Floris. There are others too. None of them get "bad", they just leave a really subtle "off" smell after they've more or less died out.

Some of them certainly do it on me once the basenotes have faded away. Herrera for Men, Dunhill Edition and Van Cleff and Arpels pour Homme for instances.

I have always blamed for this the use of bad quality synthetic fixatives.
    Last edited by Sandalwood; 8th September 2006 at 04:42 PM.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

nearfantastica

Rochas man comes apart in a very ugly way on my skin after about two hours...

a.

Neroli Sauvage (which I have a love-hate relationship with) is so unpredicable on me, that I'm scared to wear it to work. It can turn into something distastrously eggy and sulphurous, but only does that sometimes.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

So just to follow up, Pi does *not* breakdown into a gross mess. Today I wore Opium which despite starting a thread about how gross it was, I've started to like. However, after about an hour, all the spicy and sweet pleasant notes are gone, and a single gross rank smell is left.