Code of Conduct

Default LIVID ~ LIVID ~ LIVID!!!!!!!

Well, I have been buying perfumes on Ebay for 6 years now and I have only had one small bad incident.....until NOW!!!

I won a bottle of Doblis on Ebay and I received a bottle of colored water......Seller admits it was water.....says he never said it had perfume in it......but picture shows a full bottle of perfume. He also claims many people asked him questions regarding this and never posted one of them in the auction. I HATE deceptive people. I HATE being conned. I am FUMING!!!!

Default Re: LIVID ~ LIVID ~ LIVID!!!!!!!

So report him, get your money back, and take him to court.

And post his name here, so we don't get conned either.

he's in the UK and I put in a claim to Paypal....but who knows what they will decide!

I am also going to report him for fraud on Ebay

Di- talk to Griff about this. That's *&#@^ absurd. Who was the seller?

There are basenoters in London for sure. Give us the details... We'll take care of him.

post a link to the auction. I'd love to see how he tried to pawn off colored water as cologne.

Make sure you keep that e-mail saved as back-up where he admits to it being colored water... when he actually lists an item as a bottle of fragrance... and says that, that is what he's selling then ends up selling you something else is fraud... quote him some international laws... worked for me when I was sent a fake LV bag from Germany a while back and I got my money back... if you like more details on it, feel free to PM me and I'll send you the info you could quote this fool and see where it goes from there.... It just bugs me so when I hears all these fraud stores off of eBay...
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

I Just spoke to Ebay trust and safety and put in a claim against him

I am worried he might be a member here and if i show the auction.....it will reveal my buying name
    which I use with a bidslammer so I don't worry about bidding aginst my own customers. colleagues or friends......I put in my bidslammer bid...walk away and if i win great....I'm anonymous and never knew who else was bidding. i just can't bid against my friends & my loyal customers. So i REALLY don't want to put in a link to the auction.

I can say the sellers name and if you really want to figure out my ebay name so be it.....just keep it to yourself

His Ebay ID is Tarsome

Here's the auction Title
    "HOUSE NAME" Limited Numbered Edition PERFUME NAME Bottle/Box

Description: HOUSE NAME Limited Numbered Edition PERFUME NAME Crystal Bottle/Box, , bottle marked PERFUME NAME HOUSE NAME on bottle, embossed on base HOUSE NAME numbered on rear of bottle #. *bottle perfect, box has some scuff marks bottle 9.5cms 3.75ins

PIC of BOX & BOTTLE with Amber colored liquid *(what I assumed was perfume)

Seller states he NEVER ACTUALLY STATED HE WAS SELLING PERFUME...AAARGH

SO, Now I have to ask every perfume seller if the picture is of actual perfume or is it amber colored water!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    Di- talk to Griff about this. That's *&#@^ absurd. Who was the seller?
    Good advice! I'm sure good ol' Griff knows what's best to do...

I think the real question is whether it was in the "Fragrances" category.... if so, then you have a great case for getting your money back. Otherwise you will probably have trouble. Either way it completely sucks though. Good luck!!

Sounds like he was trying to get away with technicalities and tricky wordings. It's deceptive marketing, and as such would still be against ebay's rules AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by Domer04
    I think the real question is whether it was in the "Fragrances" category.... if so, then you have a great case for getting your money back. *Otherwise you will probably have trouble. *Either way it completely sucks though. *Good luck!!
    good point......however since the perfume was an LE it could easily be listed under collectibles

Listed in category: Collectables > Vanity/ Perfume/ Grooming > Perfumes > Bottles > Other Perfume Bottles

Wow that sucks. Just curious but how much did you pay for it? I really want to try Doblis and have seen it on ebay only a few times and always over $400. That's just wrong what he did.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Well it gets better......he has now marked me as unpaid.....even though I have record of payment through Paypal.....and obviously receipt of my very expensive bottle of amber colored water

Someone called my name?

Buffalo-Gal,. et al. Down boys and girls...I have some bad news for you. This is not a case of fraud, it is a case of innocent, mistaken assumptions. Here's why:

The item was listed in the following category:

Collectables > Vanity/ Perfume/ Grooming > Perfumes > Bottles > Other Perfume Bottles

and not in the Health & Beauty > Fragrance categories. Thus, the assumption, based on the intent of the category and the majority of sellers who list in that category, is that it is the bottle only that the seller was offering and unless stated otherwise, not a bottle with original scent contents.

I know this will be hard to accept but this seller did not defraud you. Nearly all sellers in this category do not state that the contents of their bottles are original because the shoppers who haunt the category understand and acknowledge they are shopping for and collecting bottles and not scent. Those who are selling scent sell it in the Fragrances category. The seller has 479 positive comments from bottle collectors. This is definitely not the mark of a nefarious or fraudulent seller.

I don't know what your actual first action was after receiving the bottle but I am hoping that you contacted the seller first and (politely, without accusation) explained your predicament? You know, "Oops, I made a mistake can you help me out with this...etc" If not, then it was not all that unreasonable for the seller to get his knickers in a twist if the first word he heard of your displeasure was from PayPal stating a claim of fraud.

My advice? Make nice. Initiate immediate damage control before the situation becomes unresolvable (you know, bruised egos, etc) I know the urge to indignation is extremely attractive at this point but, I do hope you will first consider contacting the seller and try to work this out somehow especially if your goal at this point is to retrieve your funds. Under the circumstances, I can almost guarantee that since the item delivered to you, undamaged and in a timely manner, was the same item as described in the listing, PayPal will probably not grant your claim of misrepresentation. Thus, a diplomatic phone call to the seller would definitely be advised.

Griff

Addendum: Gang, I have been assisting eBay buyers and sellers for nearly 10 years now and I can safely attest that the single biggest problem on the site is not fraud, it is jumping to conclusions before knowing all the facts! I have ajudicated literally tens of thousands of cases of buyer/seller disputes and the root cause of 99.999% of all the cases is ALWAYS simple, human error and mistunderstandings which, because of presumption and primal fear of being "ripped off" are escalated by accusation into major conflicts. Don't believe me? Read the previous posts. You have tried and convicted this seller withough even checking the actual facts! Yes, I know the gut reaction is to protect and take the part of one of our own and we all know Diane is a fantastic, generous, and honest person and of course we would ALL stick up for her if someone was indeed ripping her off becuase we do not want to see someone we know and care for injured by a crook...but if there is one thing I have learned the hard way in the last ten years, it is to always approach a potential online dispute situation with calm, reason and fully armed with all the facts before judgement.

Diane, if you need help with resolving this issue with the seller, let me know privately.

Griff
    Griff

sucks.

He has 6 or so negs and many neutrals as well......

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=tarsome

I wrote him and he did not write back.......until after I put in a paypal claim.

I buy collectible bottles all the time......empty!! *i have *NEVER seen a seller put colored water into a "collectible bottle without stating so.......I have a HUGE collection of vintage & collectible perfume bottles....been collecting on Ebay for 6 years now.......this is a first for me Griff........where the picture shows it full of juice and the seller does not state........colored water or factice....etc.....and usually the bottles sold are empty....as that's how you will be receiving them......I'm sorry but I its still see this as incredibly deceptive.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo_Gal

I wrote him and he did not write back.......until after I put in a paypal claim.

I buy collectible bottles all the time......empty!! *i have *NEVER seen a seller put colored water into a "collectible bottle without stating so.......I have a HUGE collection of vintage & collectible perfume bottles....been collecting on Ebay for 6 years now.......this is a first for me Griff........where the picture shows it full of juice and the seller does not state........colored water or factice....etc.....and usually the bottles sold are empty....as that's how you will be receiving them......I'm sorry but I its still see this as incredibly deceptive.
    and whats the point of putting in colored water, other than to trick the eye of the buyer and make shipping more costly?

I buy collectible bottles all the time......empty!! i have NEVER seen a seller put colored water into a "collectible bottle without stating so.......I have a HUGE collection of vintage & collectible perfume bottles....been collecting on Ebay for 6 years now.......this is a first for me Griff........where the picture shows it full of juice and the seller does not state........colored water or factice....etc.....and usually the bottles sold are empty....as that's how you will be receiving them......I'm sorry but I its still see this as incredibly deceptive.
    Diane, I have to tell you...this is not a first for me. Whenever I have come across something of interest in this category, I always ask if the contents are original. And the purpose of filling a collectible bottle with colored liquid is NOT to trick the eye of the buyer. Many sellers in this category routinely fill their bottles with colored liquid to better present a bottle, especially when it is clear glass.

You state that this is a first for you. It is definitely not a first for me. I have adjudicated thousands of exactly these types of disputes and only an infintesimal number of them ever involved out and out fraud or deception. Again, we can arque till we are blue in our faces whether or not you believe you were decieved or not. However, if you want the benefit of my experience and if your GOAL at this point is to resolve this issue with you receiving your money back with a minimum of damage, then you might want to consider taking my advice and contacting the seller with an olive branch. If you don't, then my predicition is that this transaction is going to wind up with you owning an empty bottle (which you could probably resell on eBay to a bottle collector) and negative feedack.

And six negatives (a 98.8% positive rating;excellent by eBay Community standards) does not indicate a crook. Otherwise, millions of eBay members would be branded as such.

regards,

Griff
    Griff

People can be really big a-holes. What`s new??

I think we should all take note of Griff's point here. I buy a lot on ebay, in many categories, and it's important to read the auctions very carefully and ask questions before you bid. I see ebay as a big flea market, and I take precautions accordingly. I've often bought things that were ultimately disappointing, but hadn't been misrepresented. That said, it remains my favorite shopping destination on the web. Caveat Emptor!

I would like to say this without appearing to be condescending, basenotes is privileged to have Uncle Griff amongst us, so my advice to you buffalo_gal is to take Griff's words of advice literally.

Good luck!
    Let your nose be your pilot

Quote Originally Posted by magnnum
    I would like to say this without appearing to be condescending, basenotes is privileged to have Uncle Griff amongst us, so my advice to you buffalo_gal is to take Griff's words of advice literally.

Good luck!
    I dont think this is condescening at all. We all know Buffalo_Gal knows her way around ebay better than most, and we all know she knows what a great resource Griff is. It just sucks to get burned, whther the burning was malicious or accidental.

Griff do you work for ebay?

I'm puttin my energy into Buffalo Gal gettin her money back with no negative feedback from seller. It should be made entirely clear what she's buying.
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

The entire universe is based upon your ability to conclude the new idea which is the summoning forth of the new life into the new space.

Man, this site has really gone to shit. Seems like every person who knew anything about perfume has left the building, and I can see why.

Besides Griff's astute analysis of the situation, the point Baron makes is extremely important. READ THE LISTING (not referring to Diane per se; I mean this in general). I have seen many instances where a seller of samples or decants receives a negative because the person believes he or she will receive a full bottle (e. g. "I paid $8.99 and all I got was this crappy little bottle&quot. I've also seen where a seller will go out of his way to specify bottle dimensions and write "sample" several times. to no avail. And yet who wants to second-guess a buyer's intelligence by writing, Say, did you know this was empty/used/1 ml?

Oftentimes the power of a potential negative creates a hostage situation, and that's just a shame. For examples of the hostage situation, the clothing arena reigns supreme.

I hope this gets resolved amicably and with the desired result.

I can see where the confusion might lie here, taking it from Diane's perspective. Did Diane specifically search in this category, or did this just turn up during a search for Doblis? If the second case is the correct one, then I'd have to wonder how many of us would check the category ourselves (good lesson here!).

The seller says bottle/box and nothing about perfume, which he didn't need to do, since he'd listed it in the correct "bottle" category. And yet many of us refer to perfumes as "bottles," don't we? It's elliptical: I have 120 bottles.

The ad certainly appears to be an ad for a bottle with the real goods inside, and I can imagine many of us would have made the same error.

One would hope the seller would be generous enough to accept Diane's mistake and take this three-hundred-dollar empty bottle back to Surrey.

I'm puttin my energy into Buffalo Gal gettin her money back with no negative feedback from seller. It should be made entirely clear what she's buying.
    I feel bad that Buffalo Gal lost out on what she thought she was getting. I'd be pissed too! who wouldn't?! But the case is that reading the item description and where it was listed, it's pretty clear what the person was selling. Having a pic with a bottle filled with colored water was probably what overshadowed the words in the item description and where it was listed.

he's in the UK and I put in a claim to Paypal....but who knows what they will decide!
    If you're in the States and he's in the UK, you'll probably win. The buyer usually does, but Americans usually win over any other nationality (because PayPal are like that).

bonni

"Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

That`s Tarsome again???
    Oh dear!
    My Russian e-baying friends stopped me couple of times from buying from him (her?) just because it happened too often with this e-bay seller to suggest coloured liquid instead of perfume...
    They told me that everyone knows about that tricks...
    not all of us knows... that`s pity.

And I believe that negative responses in his (her?) profile is much less than it reveals.
    Just imagine how it happened
    unsatisfied buyer gives him the neg response - AND Tarsome gives neg to a buyer TOO!
    such a vendetta!
    so buyers do not report about that very often and buzz under carpet

B_G, it`s terrible story you are involved... I feel you...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I see the point that it's in the "bottles" catagory rather than the "fragrances" catagory, but would it honestly be THAT difficult for sellers to put in a simple note in the listing along the lines of "Bottle does not contain perfume; liquid in bottle is for illustration only" ? Or would that cut down on their sales too much? I know I don't usually check the catagory that something is listed in when I find it via a search.

Saying "I never said I was selling perfume" is a cop out, IMHO.

Even someone who reads that listing carefully could be misled by it. The ONLY clue that it's not perfume is the listing catagory.

Given the seller's feedback, he MUST know that people can AND HAVE BEEN confused and/or misled by this before.

I sell on eBay (I'm a PowerSeller, as a matter of fact) and after the first time someone mistakenly bought a bottle thinking they were getting perfume, I would change the wording of my auctions to make it CRYSTAL CLEAR and avoid misleading people.

What if I listed jewellery on eBay that looked exactly like diamonds and put up pictures of the item and it was actually glass? Would it be okay for me to say, "But it's in the "other" catagory and I never said I was selling real diamonds!" ?

Sorry. I fully appreciate and understand that buyers should carefully read everything, but I can't say I think much of a seller who can't be bothered to at least note that it's not perfume in the perfume bottle.

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

I'd like to make a couple of points here......

While its in the collectible perfume bottle category.......which I did not know because I have an Ebay alert for this specific perfume that I've been wanting forever, if you look in the category at other listings.....there are TONS of true real bottles......partial and full of vintage & rare perfumes. *In the same category.....there are bottles with colored water.....RED & BLUE.....and the auctions do state for display only.....factice......etc. *as well as empty bottles which speak for themselves.

A collectible bottle is often worth more unopened with the perfume inside.....or opened with perfume. *If you put up three bottles of Caron Voeu de Noel at Sotheby's one empty, one partially full and one full & sealed, the one full and sealed would be the most valuable as a collectors item....the partial bottle next and the empty least valuable. *I thought I was receiving a full bottle of a limited edition bottle WITH THE PERFUME which is more valuable than an empty bottle. *The value of the item is different with and without the perfume and the seller knows this. *He knows the bidding wouldn't have gone as high if he stated the bottle was empty and had colored water in it for display purposes only. How do I know he knows this.....He has three other negatives for the same issue.....yet he continues to leave out the all important......bottle filled with colored water for display purposes and colors the water to match the perfume. He may be within his Ebay rights but he is out to deceive. He's a collector and works for a perfumer. He knows the value of the bottle empty & full. He knows what he's doing. he openely admitted to me that anyone who questioned him told them it was water......He outright stated in the email to me that it was filled with water and never said it was perfume in the bottle then in the paypal claim process said....he had no idea what was in the bottle that he never opens the bottles he puts on Ebay. & that he couldn't have known what was in the bottle. I have both emails.......

I too am a Silver powerseller......of perfume *This doesn't make me right.......but I can say I'm no slouch when it comes to Ebay. *& I have made some stupid mistakes when buying on Ebay and I own the fact that i made the mistake.......like not reading the auction well enough. I eat the mistake and learn from my mistakes. This auction I read.......its a case of omission.

So here's my take.....No disrespect to anyone.....and trust me when I say I do know how lucky we all are to have Griff in our midst!!!!!!!!!! *I have consulted him before. I have bought from him on Ebay and he from me we have swapped in here in Basenotes. I am honored to know Griff and even if he wasn't associated with Ebay...he's a perfume afficianado and one heck of a funny guy!!!

So.....my View....
    I sell decants on Ebay and sometimes full or partial bottles. *I've been selling decants for about 5 years.
    In my early days of selling I made the mistake of showing pictures of the full bottle or bottles I was decanting from without a picture of the decant bottle. And even though my auction title & description clearly stated DECANT or SAMPLES several times......I often had unhappy customers who saw the pictures and didn't read the auction well enough. Mostly they were unhappy as to how much they ended up paying for a decant or sample set. I was in the right.....and I didn't need to change a thing......nor refund money......and I could have had the attitude......Caveat Emptor. The auctions were going for outrageous amounts because people thought they were buying full bottles. *I could have made a mint and WAS RIGHT & been perfectly within Ebay's rules.

HOWEVER.......I don't want unhappy customers, I don't want to trick and fool people to make money.......and obviously if I kept getting the same response......that the auction was misleading due to the pics even thoug a buyer SHOULD READ THE DARN AUCTION, the problem wasn't going to go away unless I CHANGED HOW I DID THINGS......not the customer. * So I simply removed the pics .....Issue solved. *Now people HAD to READ the DESCRIPTION!!! *Later on I added pics of the decant bottle. Each time I have a problem with a customer I look at what I can do to change things so it won't happen again. There are always things that aren't fixable.....but I try to learned from most of my run-ins with customers even if I was in the right.

I understand caveat Emptor......Its not how I choose to run my business. *
    I still believe the seller is in the wrong........I still believe he omits that the bottles are empty or for display with the exact match of the color of perfume with the specific goal in mind of getting more money. I understand with EBAY Rules what he did might be considered OK.... *i still feel that since the category contains bottles with perfume in them and values differ with and without perfume in the bottle as a collectors item....the contents of the bottle in the pic should be mentioned, so the buyer can bid appropriately.

Thank you all for your support and for points well made. *I truly appreciate them....whether you agree with me or not. *Either way.....I hope the sellers who are completely upfront with their information outweigh the ones who omit info in hopes of making a bigger sale.

Best to you all
    Diane

Quote Originally Posted by CyberAthlete
    Griff do you work for ebay?
    http://www.basenotes.net/articles/int-unclegriff.html

Diane I agree with you. It reminds me of another ebay seller that I think a Bsenoter bought from that was selling small sample vials but would show a picture of a whole bottle but somewhere in the desciption it would say .10 oz or whatever which people wouldn't pay attention to. The buyer would end up feeling stupid paying $10-$20 for a sample but they seller had very few negative feedback because "technically" he did nothing wrong. Obviously it is buyer beware but also ebay should do something about deceptive sellers.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

HOWEVER.......I don't want unhappy customers, I don't want to trick and fool people to make money.......and obviously if I kept getting the same response......that the auction was misleading due to the pics even thoug a buyer SHOULD READ THE DARN AUCTION, the problem wasn't going to go away unless I CHANGED HOW I DID THINGS......not the customer. So I simply removed the pics .....Issue solved. Now people HAD to READ the DESCRIPTION!!! Later on I added pics of the decant bottle. Each time I have a problem with a customer I look at what I can do to change things so it won't happen again. There are always things that aren't fixable.....but I try to learned from most of my run-ins with customers even if I was in the right.
    That's it right there.

Just a couple weeks ago I had a buyer who purchased a pair of earrings from me. They were correctly listed as "South Sea shell pearl earrings" and there was a picture and full description, including dimensions. The customer, for some reason, thought that she was bidding on actual South Sea pearls (which are the most expensive and finest quality pearls in the world). South Sea shell pearls are actually manufactured pearls, made from the crushed shell of the South Sea pearl oyster (they're very pretty and these happen to be very high quality, but they're certainly not real pearls).

It WAS her own fault for not bothering to look up "shell pearls" and see what it meant. Google is full of references to "south sea shell pearls" it would have taken two minutes to find out what they are, but she didn't, and thought she was bidding on real 12mm South Sea pearl earrings...

To cut to the chase, I was 100% in the right. I was honest in my listing, and I was clear. SHE was the one who was clueless and didn't know what she was bidding on. When she wrote to me, quite upset by the fact that she didn't have actual huge perfectly round South Sea pearls (for a whopping thirty bucks plus postage), I did explain the situation, and then, because I'm a decent person, I offered her a refund. I didn't have to. I could have said "Too bad, know what you're bidding on!" because she should know what she's bidding on, but I don't WANT people to buy something from me and feel used, hurt, misled, cheated, angry, or anything other than okay about the purchase (and hopefully feel really HAPPY about it!). It's not about feedback, it's not about buyers needing to read the listing fully, it's about what I want to do with my business and my own integrity and, in a greater sense, my own karma.

AND I've since revised all listings that offer South Sea Shell Pearls to include a brief description of what they are so that in the future nobody can claim they were misled or confused! YES, it's their responsibility to know what they're bidding on, but I feel that it's also MY responsibility to be as clear as possible and NOT profit from someone's confusion.

Not all sellers on eBay feel this way, of course. I see people all the time who are happy to jerk their customers around and generate all manner of ill will in the world (because, of course, the world needs more ill will in it, particularly if you're generating it for the sake of a few bucks!). Those are the people who DO give eBay a bad name, and who make those of us who are honest and decent in our dealings have to work three times as hard.

And yes, it pisses me off.

bonni
    -Karl, age 5