Code of Conduct

Default URGENT - What to wear for an interview?

Tomorrow I have an interview for a position of a Writer at the travel agent. *Which one should I wear between these:

1. Chrome
    2. Tommy Boy
    3. Brit
    4. Chic
    5. CK BE
    6. KenzoAir
    7. Incanto
    8. Dolce & Gabbana
    9. BVLGARI Extreme

I'm not sure which one is appropriate. *Will be interviewed by someone from Holland - a Content Manager.

Thanks for your opinion.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Default Re: URGENT - What to wear for an interview?

Brit
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

I would suggest you wear nothing at all for fragrance, if you absolutely must then pick the lightest, closest to the skin frag you have.

I mean what if you wore Chrome and the interviewer had a negative image response to it, you're better off just taking a shower and putting some deoderant on.

Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni
    I would suggest you wear nothing at all for fragrance, *if you absolutely must then pick the lightest, closest to the skin frag you have.

I mean what if you wore Chrome and the interviewer had a negative image response to it, you're better off just taking a shower and putting some deoderant on.
    I agree, as someone that does alot of hiring and interviewing there is nothing worse than getting stuck in a closed office with someone that is wearing a fragrance that doesn't appeal to me. If the scent is really disagreeable I tend to be distracted and look to end the interview as quickly as possible.

You can't know ahead of time what the interviewers personal taste is, or if they have allergies so it's best to smell clean, and keep the interviewer focused on your skills and experience.

I would go for either Brit or D&G...

EnvYuS

As said previously, nothing at all. For the future wear TM Cologne if you MUST wear a fragrance.

Do what jpara suggested. His comments on this situation were very valid. You don't know this person, and you are going to be in a room with him.
    Better safe than sorry.

My 2 cents.

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

I just want to reiterate what others have said - wear no fragrance. Much of the sense of smell operates unconsciously and you just should not take the chance. You really cannot afford to take a chance of wearing something that has an unconscious negative association for someone who will decide whether to hire you or not. Not to mention, someone may have an allergy to something you wear, or may just plain hate the smell of it. If you must wear one, for confidence or whatever, wear the lightest amount of the closest wearing scent you have.

None.

If you must, wear a light unobtrusive citrus like Essenza di Zegna or YSL Live Jazz or even Creed MI. One spritz is more than enough! 8-)

Like others have said, wear NOTHING (in terms of scent; please wear clothes). It's too risky in this type of setting. The interviewer could detest the scent or, even worse, be allergic. Wait until you get hired and then bust out all your fab frags. Good luck.

Another one on the nothing side--you just can't tell how an interviewer is going to respond.

If you must wear something, maybe one tiny spray under your clothes of cK be--it's extremely light.

Overcome By Fumes

I am COMPLETELY shocked!!!

On Basenotes, 8 people suggesting foregoing fragrance TOTALLY!!??

Sacrilege! *Blasphemy!! *Infidelity!!!

You can always go with a light fragrance, applied lightly. *Tommy or Chrome come to mind. *It is an interview, but it's also a day in your life. *If every time anything of any importance comes along, and you have to go "bare"; it strikes me as a scared and wimpy way to approach life. *Sure, there are boundaries of taste that are reasonable to respect, but, hey... there are all sorts of subtle scents coming with you anyway: *soap, deodorant, hair stuff (maybe?), your clothes, your own essence: *it doesn't hurt to influence your setting a little bit in a favorable way, with intent--specifically by wearing what you like. *In some circumstances, your fragrance environment may help you to be relaxed and confident, and thus, nail the interview. *Wear if you wish, or not. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by gooderin
    Like others have said, wear NOTHING (in terms of scent; please wear clothes). It's too risky in this type of setting. The interviewer could detest the scent or, even worse, be allergic. Wait until you get hired and then bust out all your fab frags. Good luck.
    Well if the person would be allergic, wouldnt it be worse to find out after you have been hired? That would mean you couldnt wear nothing at all. And you would be in a job, and propably un happy because you couldnt wear anything at all. If you wear something, wear very little. To me its better to be your self and not get the job, than not be your self and possibly be unhappy in the job.

What he said ^

I wore L'Instant for a recent set of interviews and got the job offer -- turned it down though. If anything, I would go light on the trigger and stay away from the heavy artillary. Maybe Chrome as it's fresh smelling.

Good luck and knock 'em down! Be enthusiastic and ask sincere questions as peope like to talk about themselves as it shows you have an interest in them. Get to know their assistants too if you can as they make a difference. ~mm
    Peace ~ Markymark

Quote Originally Posted by Peace
    [quote author=gooderin link=1145205790/0#9 date=1145216808]Like others have said, wear NOTHING (in terms of scent; please wear clothes). It's too risky in this type of setting. The interviewer could detest the scent or, even worse, be allergic. Wait until you get hired and then bust out all your fab frags. Good luck.
    Well if the person would be allergic, wouldnt it be worse to find out after you have been hired? That would mean you couldnt wear nothing at all. And you would be in a job, and propably un happy because you couldnt wear anything at all. If you wear something, wear very little. To me its better to be your self and not get the job, than not be your self and possibly be unhappy in the job.[/quote]

My scent doesn't define who I am, so even if I wore none, I would still think I was being myself. And if it came down to a job I really wanted (or needed), if I found out the boss was allergic to perfume, then I could go without for forty hours of the week. So finding out after I've been hired would not be a problem. Besides, with ANY job you could find out something like that after you've been hired--a coworker could be allergic, etc. The main thing is to get hired. Jobs are too hard to come by to pass one up simply because you couldn't wear fragrance. If someone ever told me they passed up a job for such a petty reason, I would think they'd gone mad.

Some things are more important than frags, e.g., food, shelter, etc. Besides, where would he get the money to buy the frags he would be wearing after work and on the weekends?

My scent doesn't define who I am, so even if I wore none, I would still think I was being myself. And if it came down to a job I really wanted (or needed), if I found out the boss was allergic to perfume, then I could go without for forty hours of the week. So finding out after I've been hired would not be a problem. Besides, with ANY job you could find out something like that after you've been hired--a coworker could be allergic, etc. The main thing is to get hired. Jobs are too hard to come by to pass one up simply because you couldn't wear fragrance. If someone ever told me they passed up a job for such a petty reason, I would think they'd gone mad.

Some things are more important than frags, e.g., food, shelter, etc. Besides, where would he get the money to buy the frags he would be wearing after work and on the weekends?
    I understand completly what you saying. The point i was trying to make was. There isnt really no way of telling what will be the personīs stand on fragrances. So why go in there asuming the "worst"?. If the person doing the interview doesnt like fragīs, then you will propably be told about it. If this is something you like doing, why hide it like its something bad? Off course, if it will come up, that frags arent a good thing in the work place, then use it on the weekend like goodering said. But if you go on living your life like work is your life, then that isnt good either. Work should only be a tool, so you can do what you really want to do.

What im trying to say, this might be WAY off topic, but im going to say it anyway. If you live your life doing compromises on ewerything, you soon realise that the little things have grown in to the only thing your life is about. And that is living your life like the other people would like you to live it. So you actually would have lived your life as you thought you should have lived it.
    Instead of living it like you really wanted to. Again, the frags might not be a big issue, but little by little, you start doing compromises because you think you should do them. There isnt nothing wrong in compromising, but you shouldnt be the only one doing them. And the other way around.

So, do what you want to do . If you would like to wear a frag, then do so. If not, then dont.

I hear ya, Peace. Unfortunately, life is all about compromises. It's what makes the world go 'round. It's why some people don't get divorced, and it's why some people keep their jobs. I'm not suggesting to ever compromise yourself or what you stand for, but little compromises certainly never hurt anyone.

Think of it this way, also: what if you met the girl of your dreams--she was everything you ever wanted and more, BUT she could not stand your favorite scent, plus it made her sneeze and her eyes water. And in this hypothetical scenario, there was just no way around this...would you compromise by shelving your favorite cologne and maybe just wearing it when you were out with friends, etc? A good mate is even harder to come by than a job, so I think it would probably be worth it to find a scent she could tolerate. Like the job issue, it would be a small thing to give up for something so worthwhile.

What do you do for a living, by the way?

I hear ya, Peace. Unfortunately, life is all about compromises. It's what makes the world go 'round. It's why some people don't get divorced, and it's why some people keep their jobs. I'm not suggesting to ever compromise yourself or what you stand for, but little compromises certainly never hurt anyone.

Think of it this way, also: what if you met the girl of your dreams--she was everything you ever wanted and more, BUT she could not stand your favorite scent, plus it made her sneeze and her eyes water. And in this hypothetical scenario, there was just no way around this...would you compromise by shelving your favorite cologne and maybe just wearing it when you were out with friends, etc? A good mate is even harder to come by than a job, so I think it would probably be worth it to find a scent she could tolerate. Like the job issue, it would be a small thing to give up for something so worthwhile.

Yes, life is full of compromises. The main thing is, dont let it be just that. And off course if i would meet a girl of my dreams, i would not use the frag, if it made her feel bad. Then again, if we would be talking about music, that would be another thing But the way i see it, lets say you(not neccesarily you.But in general) are married, and from the start, you have to make compromises. Well, i hate to sound cold, but then you shouldnt get married. Because, if you are willing to spend the rest of your life with someone, in my opinnion, it has to be someone you are "one" with. Again ,off topic, but i dont see marriage as something that eweryone is ment to do, same with chlidren. If you want children just because you thing you should have them. Then you really shouldn get them. Same with marriage etc. This is again related to the "not living your life like you think you should live it" stuff.

At the moment i work as a intern in a museum.

I would wear nothing.

Im suprised how many people agree on this.

[quote author=gooderin link=1145205790/15#18 date=1145229156]I hear ya, Peace. Unfortunately, life is all about compromises. It's what makes the world go 'round. It's why some people don't get divorced, and it's why some people keep their jobs. I'm not suggesting to ever compromise yourself or what you stand for, but little compromises certainly never hurt anyone.

Yes, life is full of compromises. The main thing is, dont let it be just that. And off course if i would meet a girl of my dreams, i would not use the frag, if it made her feel bad. Then again, if we would be talking about music, that would be another thing But the way i see it, lets say you(not neccesarily you.But in general) are married, and from the start, you have to make compromises. Well, i hate to sound cold, but then you shouldnt get married. Because, if you are willing to spend the rest of your life with someone, in my opinnion, it has to be someone you are "one" with. Again ,off topic, but i dont see marriage as something that eweryone is ment to do, same with chlidren. If you want children just because you thing you should have them. Then you really shouldn get them. Same with marriage etc. This is again related to the "not living your life like you think you should live it" stuff.

At the moment i work as a intern in a museum.[/quote]

I agree with you, peace. My girlfriend right now insists that I make compromises- at that point it's not really a compromise any more, it's just following an order. Like not going with her to church today. I am not the church type, I have never gone and I just don't enjoy religious holidays in general. She said, "This is the time when you go and at least pretend to enjoy yourself because that is what being in a relationship is about. You're supposed to try to be a part of the other person's life. You should go because it would make ME happy, and that should make YOU happy."
    Well... I didn't go. A compromise is when both parties gain something and lose something. This situation involved only a concession on my side and a gain on hers (and a rather superficial one at that). But I'll not go much farther into my love life.

We make compromises all the time at work: we wear the right clothes, we show up when they tell us to show up, we do things that we wouldn't ordinarily choose to do. But when you interview, you don't work there yet. You don't owe them anything. They don't owe you anything, either. If an interviewer is unconsciously offended by your LIGHT application of Brit, then they have their own personal problems. Turning you down for an innocuous frag would be like turning you down for being ugly. I'll bet it happens (unconsciously, as has been mentioned) and there's not much you can do about it.

You should wear something that makes you feel like you're on top of things, sexy, competent, urbane, etc. You'll be wearing clothes, right? Surely that will have as much effect as your cologne? how about your haircut? Your language skills? Your posture? Your teeth? *Gasp* Your job skills?

A person with perfume allergies should be used to explaining to people that they are offended by fragrances. I'm sure that if the interviewer has been doing their job for long, they have dealt with people wearing 6 sprays of Old Spice and whatever else people wear. One spray of Brit will surely be acceptable in any business environment.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

The only fragrance I deem acceptable for an interview is Gendarme. As others have said, why risk not getting a job for an hour of smelling "good"?

I would not wear fragrance to a job interview. But I also see it as a simple and straightforward question. If wearing or not wearing a fragrance for one interview impacts you on a quantum or metaphysical level, well, then, THIS IS THE COMMUNITY FOR YOU !!!
    Please, spritz responsibly.

[quote author=gooderin link=1145205790/15#18 date=1145229156]I hear ya, Peace. Unfortunately, life is all about compromises. It's what makes the world go 'round. It's why some people don't get divorced, and it's why some people keep their jobs. I'm not suggesting to ever compromise yourself or what you stand for, but little compromises certainly never hurt anyone.

At the moment i work as a intern in a museum.[/quote]

As for the whole work thing, I guess it's safe to say some people just have different priorities. I'm currently back in school, but I did work for a bit after undergrad, not to mention I've pretty much had a job since I was 15. The school where I am now doesn't allow first year students to work, so I plan on getting a job as soon as finals are over. And I can't wait until I get my JD so I can start my new career. Needless to say, work is not just a tool to me. I LOVE working. I have never been the type of person to have a problem with staying late or coming in early, etc. Granted, I understand not everyone is like that, and it doesn't mean I'm wrong and they're right, and vice versa. It's just a matter of preference. My attitude probably comes from about eight years of waiting tables, where the harder/better you worked, the more money you made. Since I love money, I always was pretty positive about working . I guess that this has affected my attitude about salaried jobs as well--knowing that a raise/promotion is possible makes me work harder. So, from that description of myself, you can probably understand a bit better why I would never pass on a job that disallowed my perfume. Work has always been a pretty postive priority (excuse the alliteration) in my life.

I hope you don't want to get married! Relationships are a lot of work, even if you are "one" with somebody. Anything that is rewarding and fulfilling takes a little bit of effort. I don't want to get married myself, but I am in a very serious, committed relationship of four years. We both feel we are perfect for one another, but there are still compromises to be made. And sometimes you won't even be able to compromise with your mate--that's when you just have to say, "I respect your feelings on this, but I disagree" and let it go. Now I'm not saying to let some girl get away with cheating on you or acting nasty toward your friends, etc. You pick your battles. I think once you have your first serious relationship, you'll understand more what I'm saying. That's what it took for me, at least.

Ask your bosses at the museum what they think about people wearing fragrance to an interview. I'm sure they'll agree it's a crapshoot.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt

I agree with you, peace. My girlfriend right now insists that I make compromises- at that point it's not really a compromise any more, it's just following an order. Like not going with her to church today. I am not the church type, I have never gone and I just don't enjoy religious holidays in general. She said, "This is the time when you go and at least pretend to enjoy yourself because that is what being in a relationship is about. You're supposed to try to be a part of the other person's life. You should go because it would make ME happy, and that should make YOU happy."
    Im just reading a book that has a good quote relating to this subject. It by Anthony de Mello from hes book Awareness.

Want a little test? Let's try it. It will take you exactly
    one minute. You could close your eyes while you're doing it or you could
    keep them open. It doesn't really matter. Think of someone you love very
    much, someone you're close to, someone who is precious to you, and say to
    that person in your mind, "I'd rather have happiness than have you." See
    what happens. "I'd rather be happy than have you. If I had a choice, no
    question about it, I'd choose happiness." How many of you felt selfish when
    you said this? Many, it seems. See how we've been brainwashed? See how
    we've been brainwashed into thinking, "How could I be so selfish?" But look
    at who's being selfish. Imagine somebody saying to YOU, "How could you be
    so selfish that you'd choose happiness over me?" Would you not feel like
    responding, "Pardon me, but how could YOU be so selfish that YOU would
    demand I choose you above my own happiness?!"

Well... I didn't go. A compromise is when both parties gain something and lose something. This situation involved only a concession on my side and a gain on hers (and a rather superficial one at that). But I'll not go much farther into my love life.
    ben, without getting too into your business, I must say that such a request from your girlfriend does go beyond compromising. I would never ask my boyfriend to do something he actively disliked or made him uncomfortable just to make me happy. And his happiness hardly completely rests on my happiness. Plus, would it make me happy to see him miserably sitting through something he obviously did not want to attend? No! Compromise is more like agreeing to spend Thanksgiving with her family this year and Christmas with yours, or something like that. Another example--when my boyfriend and I first started dating, it was obvious that he was allergic to my smoking. Did he ever ask me to quit? NO. He did ask me to not smoke inside, which was fine with me because I still got to keep my cigarettes.

Anyway, you should let your girlfriend know it's fine to have separate lives when it comes to some things and point out all the things you do for her that make her happy that don't compromise your happiness. Going to church when you don't like it is hardly a boyfriend duty. As a boyfriend there are enough things that are your "duty" that you probably won't enjoy--her familys' Christmases, her relatives' funerals (and graduations, weddings, etc.), so there is no reason to add that church to that list.

Huh. So, if you love fragrances, but you need a job to be happy, you should give up the frangrance if it jepardizes the job. Right? :-?

[quote author=greyhueofdoubt link=1145205790/15#21 date=1145231365]I agree with you, peace. My girlfriend right now insists that I make compromises- at that point it's not really a compromise any more, it's just following an order. Like not going with her to church today. I am not the church type, I have never gone and I just don't enjoy religious holidays in general. She said, "This is the time when you go and at least pretend to enjoy yourself because that is what being in a relationship is about. You're supposed to try to be a part of the other person's life. You should go because it would make ME happy, and that should make YOU happy."
    ben, without getting too into your business, I must say that such a request from your girlfriend does go beyond compromising. I would never ask my boyfriend to do something he actively disliked or made him uncomfortable just to make me happy. And his happiness hardly completely rests on my happiness. Plus, would it make me happy to see him miserably sitting through something he obviously did not want to attend? No! Compromise is more like agreeing to spend Thanksgiving with her family this year and Christmas with yours, or something like that. Another example--when my boyfriend and I first started dating, it was obvious that he was allergic to my smoking. Did he ever ask me to quit? NO. He did ask me to not smoke inside, which was fine with me because I still got to keep my cigarettes.

Anyway, you should let your girlfriend know it's fine to have separate lives when it comes to some things and point out all the things you do for her that make her happy that don't compromise your happiness. Going to church when you don't like it is hardly a boyfriend duty. As a boyfriend there are enough things that are your "duty" that you probably won't enjoy--her familys' Christmases, her relatives' funerals (and graduations, weddings, etc.), so there is no reason to add that church to that list.
    [/quote]

Thanks for the advice I feel bad about hijacking this thread, though.
    I will have to bring up that point the next time we discuss my 'duties'.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    Huh. So, if you love fragrances, but you need a job to be happy, you should give up the frangrance if it jepardizes the job. Right? :-?
    I would. If I landed a fantastic job I knew would make me happy and I couldn't wear my beloved Tiffany to the workplace, or any of my other fragrances for that matter, I'd give up fragrance in a heartbeat. I'd wear my scents after work and on weekends. It's not like I'd have to throw them in the trash.

Might be ridiculous to say on a site devoted to frag addiction, but my income, happiness, and career are way more important to me than being able to wear perfume to work!

Is everyone here, except for me, independently wealthy or something??

Incanto.

I think it's light enough for an interview and it's very professional.

Thanks for the advice I feel bad about hijacking this thread, though. I will have to bring up that point the next time we discuss my 'duties'.

-ben

No problem. And no worries about hijacking the thread--it's not so unusual for us Basenoters to get off topic. That's what is so fun about these discussions sometimes! If you need any more relationship advice, feel free to pm me. I was your around your age when my boyfriend and I started dating. I probably said a ton of stupid crap to him like your girlfriend said to you today. And he wasn't perfect either. But after four years (and even a brief breakup), he and I have both learned a lot. Ultimately you get to the point where you realize you really love one another but wonder if you're forsaking your happiness. Just like the quote Peace posted, my boyfriend and I told each other if either one of us was ever unhappy and felt we couldn't work it out, we'd walk away from the relationship. He and I don't kid ourselves--and some people do think it's selfish--but we would rather be happy alone than miserable together. After being broken up for awhile (we saw each other very often during the breakup), we realized we wanted to be together badly enough to work stuff out. And so far, so good. We are extremely happy. And I can say that we are both very different people than we were four years ago, which is a positive thing. So, hopefully, things will work out as well for you and your girlfriend.

Alright, back to the discussing of scents, everyone!

[quote author=Shycat link=1145205790/15#27 date=1145233423]Huh. So, if you love fragrances, but you need a job to be happy, you should give up the frangrance if it jepardizes the job. Right? :-?
    I would. If I landed a fantastic job I knew would make me happy and I couldn't wear my beloved Tiffany to the workplace, or any of my other fragrances for that matter, I'd give up fragrance in a heartbeat. I'd wear my scents after work and on weekends. It's not like I'd have to throw them in the trash.

Might be ridiculous to say on a site devoted to frag addiction, but my income, happiness, and career are way more important to me than being able to wear perfume to work!

Is everyone here, except for me, independently wealthy or something??
    [/quote]

I'm very comfortably set for now, having made some compromises, othertimes drawn some lines, and generally muddled through doing the best I could. I should have ended that post with "Right !" I meant to support the above position.

;D ;D ;D What a terrible lawyer I would make!!! ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D What a terrible lawyer I would make!!! ;D ;D ;D
    Don't worry, Shycat, in two years I'll be at your service!

i didn't read the thread. i'm sure someone has already said this, but here it is again.

don't wear cologne to an interview. it won't help you and there's a risk that it could hurt you.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Overcome By Fumes

I'm still surprised that the default assumption is that the interviewer will NOT like a person to wear fragrance.

If that is how people feel, that others will, more likely than not, NOT like them wearing fragrances--it's hard to imagine really enjoying wearing fragrances in public. Should one take a poll of those one will be spending time with to check in advance their opinions about this? Maybe we should have all our workplaces scent-free.

Some of the examples given, such as an employer who detests fragrance or a "girl-of-your-dreams" who cannot tolerate perfumes, are not representative of the situation in hand. None of us knows the interviewer. If the question were prefaced differently, and I knew the interviewer had a negative thing about fragrance, it would be very different, but that is certainly not the case here. Indeed, fragrance is not integral to my essence either; but my assumption tends to be that attention to details and dressing with care, neatness, and style make a favorable difference. Fragrance can be a style element, and my experience is that a good fragrance, worn properly, not only makes me feel good, but also helps create a favorable impression to others.

For those of you who recommend not wearing fragrance, on the grounds that it is safer, with the implication that the interviewer is MORE likely not to like ANY fragrance--how do you justify wearing fragrance in almost any social situation? True, an interview is a contrived social interaction, and some would use the white-bread approach--seem as unobtrusive and malleable as possible; but there are situations where creating a memorable and favorable picture could be enhanced by a tasteful fragrance. This I believe.

[quote author=gooderin link=1145205790/15#16 date=1145224078]

I understand completly what you saying. The point i was trying to make was. There isnt really no way of telling what will be the personīs stand on fragrances. So why go in there asuming the "worst"?. If the person doing the interview doesnt like fragīs, then you will propably be told about it. If this is something you like doing, why hide it like its something bad? Off course, if it will come up, that frags arent a good thing in the work place, then use it on the weekend like goodering said. But if you go on living your life like work is your life, then that isnt good either. Work should only be a tool, so you can do what you really want to do.

What im trying to say, this might be WAY off topic, but im going to say it anyway. If you live your life doing compromises on ewerything, you soon realise that the little things have grown in to the only thing your life is about. And that is living your life like the other people would like you to live it. So you actually would have lived your life as you thought you should have lived it.
    Instead of living it like you really wanted to. Again, the frags might not be a big issue, but little by little, you start doing compromises because you think you should do them. There isnt nothing wrong in compromising, but you shouldnt be the only one doing them. And the other way around.

So, do what you want to do . If you would like to wear a frag, then do so. If not, then dont.[/quote]

For most people it is impossible to have a successful interview and not make some compromises. If you are a jeans and sneakers guy, does that mean you are going to wear jeans and sneakers to an interview? If you prefer to use profanity in your daily life does that mean you use it during an interview. Walk into my office wearing jeans and sneakers, cussing like a truck driver for an interview and I can guarantee you won't get the job.

Unfortunately in life, one has to make compromises, and in the case of interviews, you want to make the best impression possible. Once you get the job, and prove yourself, most managers will tolerate more personal expression as long as it's not offensive. Why risk losing a good job because you refuse to compromise for one - two hours on one day?

Huh. * So, *if you love fragrances, *but you need a job to be happy, *you should give up the frangrance if it jepardizes the job. * Right? * *:-? * *
    I think this is an extreme generalization. Going into the interview process your goal is convince the person interviewing you that your skills, education, work experience and work ethic are superior to your competition. You walk into the interview not knowing the corporate culture, or policies towards fragrances, so it's best to play it safe. If the interviewer has allergies or doesn't like your chosen scent then it could reduce your chances of getting a job offer.

Once you get the job offer, you can ask about the use of fragrances, dress code, and any other concerns you might have. At that point, you are being offered the job, and it's YOUR choice to take it or not based on your personal priorities.

Well, I wouldn't pour a bottle of Jungle Gardenia over my head, but I can't see how a spritz of eau d'Hadrien on my chest before I get dressed would cost me a job. If it did, perhaps that not the place for me to work.

Hey KiatBkk after all these comments that have been made, please let us know what you decided, and yes wish you the best for the interview.

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    For those of you who recommend not wearing fragrance, on the grounds that it is safer, with the implication that the interviewer is MORE likely not to like ANY fragrance--how do you justify wearing fragrance in almost any social situation?
    Will my boyfriend stop loving me if I wear a frag that bothers him? My family disown me? My classmate not loan me their notes? My grandmother cut me out of the will? My friends not speak to me? Not bloody likely. The worst they can do is tell me they don't like my perfume. Big deal.

An interviewer who is repulsed by the perfume I'm wearing interviews another candidate after me. This candidate has the exact same credentials and is groomed appropriately, yet not wearing any scent. Guess who gets the job?

The repercussions are totally different. Just as we might vary our scents per social situations, i.e., a date, a party, a casual lunch with friends, church, work, etc., there are times when no scent at all is appropriate. An interview is one of them. It's just a better safe than sorry situation.

KiatBkk, wear nothing for the interview - trust me when I say that I have tremendous experience with this issue. *But, I must add that you'll actually be wearing plenty. *I'm sure that your shampoo has a fragrance and perhaps your anti-perspirant and possibly other items you'll have on or with you - a leather portfolio? *You are applying for a job and it is your experience and ability to do the job that is in question, not whether or not the interviewer likes or detests your cologne. *It's just simply not appropriate in this circumstance and might come between you and the interviewer. * It's that it's a potential distraction (even if he loves your scent, do you really want him focusing on that and not on you or your abilitiy to do the job well?), and it's generally advised to avoid any possible distraction so that he can focus solely on how great YOU are.

Once you get the job, wear whatever the hell you like. *And good luck during the interview!

Herb Lady

Why So Serious?

I also strongly agree with the no-scent theory to the interviews as i've had some experiences with this issue myself. *You just dont wanna take the risk to invade your manager's personal space, it is like an intrusion, an absolute no no. *Personally i dont know who invented this fragrance-to-interviews thing, they just dont get along together, i mean what is the purpose of wearing fragrance to an interview? *You're there to get the job and to discuss matters that are relevant to the subject at hand, so i dont see why one should wear fragrances in a situation like that, unless you're hitting on the boss, but that's another story lol. *You should concentrate on how to deal with the contexts of the interview and not worry about what cologne to wear, however being clean-shaven and well-dressed is obviously important. *But if you feel the urge to wear a cologne, wear the lighest one, probably Chrome and with one spray just for yourself to smell, not your employer. *Best of luck in the interview! *Talking about interviews, i'm look for a new job myself, *sigh*. *But hopefully, i can stink up the workplace after i get the job, just to declare my presence.

Best wishes!
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    For those of you who recommend not wearing fragrance, on the grounds that it is safer, with the implication that the interviewer is MORE likely not to like ANY fragrance--how do you justify wearing fragrance in almost any social situation?
    usually it doesn't matter if your scent offends someone. it does matter in a job interview. a job interview is business. stick to the basics.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Oh thanks a billion for all comments. I've been there without any frag on and I've passed the first interview. On Thursday I will be interviewed by the company's managing director and surely, will wear no fragrance.

Right, I can never know what scent the stranger might dislikes, so I will just dress well.

Thanks again!
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX
    I also strongly agree with the no-scent theory to the interviews as i've had some experiences with this issue myself. *You just dont wanna take the risk to invade your manager's personal space, it is like an intrusion, an absolute no no. **

...Talking about interviews, i'm look for a new job myself, *sigh*. *But hopefully, i can stink up the workplace after i get the job, just to declare my presence.
    Best wishes!
    I think this is the issue--wearing scent is often interpreted as an intrusion, a declaration of self that many, especially someone who ostensibly has the upper hand in status and power (such as a prospective employer) might resent. It isn't even so much an issue of "the interviewer might not like that particular scent" or "the interviewer might be allergic" as an issue of the scent sending the message: "I don't need your approval".

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk
    Oh thanks a billion for all comments. *I've been there without any frag on and I've passed the first interview. *On Thursday I will be interviewed by the company's managing director and surely, will wear no fragrance. *

Right, I can never know what scent the stranger might dislikes, so I will just dress well.

Thanks again!

Way to go KiatBkk

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Quote Originally Posted by maisonstinky
    [quote author=KiatBkk link=1145205790/30#44 date=1145289767]Oh thanks a billion for all comments. I've been there without any frag on and I've passed the first interview. On Thursday I will be interviewed by the company's managing director and surely, will wear no fragrance.

Thanks again!

Way to go KiatBkk

Vijay"Maisonstinky"[/quote]

Yaay! I'm glad for you!

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk
    Oh thanks a billion for all comments. *I've been there without any frag on and I've passed the first interview. *On Thursday I will be interviewed by the company's managing director and surely, will wear no fragrance. *

Thanks again!
    Congratulations and GOOD LUCK!

Such a great update. Proud of ya man!
    Peace ~ Markymark

I conduct quite a few interviews and wouldn't object to someone wearing Eau Sauvage.

I have to dissent from the herd on this one. Lets set up another hypothetical situation that is similar to an interview, but not an interview. Hmm... You are going on a first (or any) date. You have a business meeting with an new client. You are a lawyer and will meet an important judge tonight at a dinner. You are a salesman and have new customers everyday. You are meeting your girlfriend's parents. Etc...

All of these are situations where you want to make a great impression on a stranger. Some of these are professional situations and some personal. However, I don't think any of you would abstain from fragrance in these situations. Why is the interview set appart as this scary encounter where fragrance can only hurt? Its certainly inappropriate to drench yourself in your sexiest juice - it is a professional situation where strong sexy juice would always be inappropriate.

We don't wear frags because they are repulsive to people. We wear them because they make us smell fresh/clean, or confident, or sexy, or help us relax. There are a million reasons why we wear scents and some of them are perfectly acceptable for professional situations. Fragrance is part of your grooming and part of your attire.

I say - don't go to an interview half dressed, but do go dressed appropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by FatTony
    I have to dissent from the herd on this one. Lets set up another hypothetical situation that is similar to an interview, but not an interview. Hmm... You are going on a first (or any) date. You have a business meeting with an new client. You are a lawyer and will meet an important judge tonight at a dinner. You are a salesman and have new customers everyday. You are meeting your girlfriend's parents. Etc...

All of these are situations where you want to make a great impression on a stranger. Some of these are professional situations and some personal. However, I don't think any of you would abstain from fragrance in these situations. Why is the interview set appart as this scary encounter where fragrance can only hurt? Its certainly inappropriate to drench yourself in your sexiest juice - it is a professional situation where strong sexy juice would always be inappropriate.

We don't wear frags because they are repulsive to people. We wear them because they make us smell fresh/clean, or confident, or sexy, or help us relax. There are a million reasons why we wear scents and some of them are perfectly acceptable for professional situations. Fragrance is part of your grooming and part of your attire.

I say - don't go to an interview half dressed, but do go dressed appropriately.
    You are correct, anytime you wear a fragrance in an unknown environment you risk offending others, or causing someones allergies to be triggered. In such cases you make a trade-off decision, taking into account the risk / reward of how you choose to dress and what if any fragrance you wear. The majority of the time, you will not offend anyone or possibly even enhance the experience, but it's unrealistic to think that there's not some percentage of chance you will offend someone or cause an allergy attack. Each situation has to be evaluated individual based on each individuals priorities.

I personally abstain from wearing a fragrance in a new business environment and dress business conservative until I have an opportunity to observe the corporate culture and get to know the individuals im meeting with.

As for dating, I think it's a totally different situation, and unless I'm going to be 1 on 1 it's unlikely an appropriate choice of fragrance will ruin the date just due to all the other scents around