Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wore Rive Gauche to work and got BITTEN!

Yes it's true.

Last night was very interesting. After showering, I was buttoning up my shirt thinking of what fragrance to wear to work. I decided to wear Rive Gauche Pour Homme. WHY? Well, because I was thinking about its status as "King of Compliments". And while its true that Rive Gauche has gotten more compliments than anything else in my drobe of 100, for whatever reason- I just don't wear it much.

So I gave my bare chest a good spray, dabbed a little on my neck, and went to work.

As soon as I got to work, I was counting my drawer for changeover. The AM bartender is a very cute girl, and she gets very physical sometimes at work- always grabbing, punching, kicking, hugging. Just a very cool girl to work with. She came over and stood next to me. One of my female managers came over and they were both standing beside me. I was trying to focus on counting money, but I thought I could hear them talking about how good I smelled.

And then this girl put her head close to my chest , inhaled deeply and then LIKE LIGHTNING she BIT me on the upper bicep. Like a rattlesnake or a cobra, in one fast move she managed to give me a very deep bite on the arm. As I was rubbing my arm I told her "Damn! That really hurts...but at the same time it feels really good..."

The next time some newbie asks that question about "What fragrance do chicks like?", instead of directing them to the sticky, you could just type in Rive.Gauche.Pour.Homme. When I compare the reactions I've gotten wearing Rive Gauche to EVERYTHING else in my 100 plus drobe and all the samples I've worn- It just isn't even close.

What is it about this seemingly simple fragrance that causes a girl to bite me? I've had girls tell me they loved alot of different fragrances I've worn (Passage D'Enfer, A*Men, M7, Michael, Himalaya, Dreamer, Skai, Jaisalmer -and I've got a good story for each), but most of the time when I wear these fragrances I get no comment or outright reaction. Practically EVERY TIME I wear Rive Gauche, something like this happens.

And as I was leaving work, a female manager walked by and I asked her if she was wearing CKBe and she was impressed that I could tell. So while on the subject of fragrances I put a sample of Rive Gauche Pour Homme up to her nose. She closed her eyes and purred "Ohhhhh, that smells so good" like she was having an orgasm. There you have it.

Oh , and after that girl bit me, she asked what I was doing tomorrow (tonight). She wants to go out for drinks. She's got a boyfriend, and I'm not the type of guy to mow another man's lawn. But If she attacks me, I'm not gonna run and hide!

Indie

Default Re: Wore Rive Gauche to work and got BITTEN!

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    She closed her eyes and purred "Ohhhhh, that smells so good" like she was having an orgasm. *There you have it.
    LOL. That reminds me of those shampoo commercials where that girl gets a kick out of washing her hair.

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    [quote author=Indie_Guy link=1136928571/0#0 date=1136928570]She closed her eyes and purred "Ohhhhh, that smells so good" like she was having an orgasm. There you have it.
    LOL. That reminds me of those shampoo commercials where that girl gets a kick out of washing her hair.
    [/quote]

Or (gasp) those Axe Effect ads...yecch.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I love Rive Gauche coz it smells like a real, mature man. It's actually my number 3 right behind Baldassarini and GIT. Funny enough, my twin brother is not into fragrances at all, wouldn't wear any, he likes Baldi and GIT, but LOVES Rive Gauche. His comment "What is this... Smells so different from all the other ones you have."

But so far I didn't have women jumping at me like you... Maybe it IS you!!! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310
    [quote author=teflondog link=1136928571/0#1 date=1136928909][quote author=Indie_Guy link=1136928571/0#0 date=1136928570]She closed her eyes and purred "Ohhhhh, that smells so good" like she was having an orgasm. *There you have it.
    [/quote]

Or (gasp) those Axe Effect ads...yecch.[/quote]

I agree those Axe ads are pretty stupid. But its weird- Rive Gauche delivers on the Axe "Effect"! I'd like to conduct some experiments. One more thing I should point out. This girl that bit me is 22. Sometimes I think of Rive Gauche as a mature scent, but some of the best reactions to it have been from girls under 25. And also a few rich MILFS in their 40s.

I'm going to have to get a bottle of the Intense version one of these days.

indie, i'm pretty sure it has something to do with you man. girls don't go around biting just any guy no matter how good they smell.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

There is an intense version? I thought the stuff was pretty intense (lasts decades on me), so they issued a light version...

Quote Originally Posted by liquid
    indie, i'm pretty sure it has something to do with you man. *girls don't go around biting just any guy no matter how good they smell.

As much as I'd like to agree with that, it's just not the case. I'm sure she probably likes me in some way. BUT I've worn ALOT of scents around her, and I can tell which ones she likes and which ones she doesn't. I'd put money on it that I could have worn damn near anything else and not been bitten. It's hard to explain this to those not in the "Brotherhood of the Left Bank" ,But its like clockwork.

Today I wore THREE chest sprays of Rive Gauche and one wrist spray, and I didn't get so much as a peep my way. And I'm a very sociable guy too. [smiley=lolk.gif] And I put MOISTURIZER on my chest before applying Rive Gauche!!

It's a damn good thing I wear fragrances because I like them for myself, or else I'd sell 'em all... [smiley=lolk.gif]
    No longer offering decants. Sorry!

Someone should start a "Best of basenotes" thread and add this to the list. Great story!

I think Indie needs to get some reward from the YSL company, since I am very sure this story will help them sell few more bottles of RG. ( Damn, crossed even my mind that I have to re-test this, at least)

oommmgggg rive gauche is SUCH a sexy fragrance. haha I love it, and so do the girls

If you can sue a company for making coffee that is too hot so you burnt your tongue, or another for making cigarettes that gave you cancer when you smoked them without you knowing about the risks I bet you could sue YSL for making a fragrance that make ppl bite you. I would do that and buy more scents instead of giving YSL more credit

Damn, I've been trying to find this locally to see if I like it, but the only YSL I can find is Kouros. Looks like I might have to order blind or get a decant.

Hmmm... I might have to try spritzing some on my fishing lures this spring...

Who needs cable when we can read Indie's stories. I'd like to suggest we give him an award in the category of "Best dramatic scent story with erotic content". He has the genre sown up IMO, and the guy can tell a story too.

Seriously though, I am sure Indie's co-worker likes him, but I explain "the Rive Gauche Pour Homme effect" in the following manner: Rive Gauche Pour Homme is the scent equivalent of wearing an slightly open-neck black shirt. Every man looks good in a black shirt. Rive Gauche Pour Homme has this going for it: it has an attraction enhancing feature, just like a black shirt. A far-fetched analogy?

scentemental

We may never see Indie again if he wore Rive Gauche AND a black button-up shirt with top button undone. He might give Hugh Hefner a run for his money. And suddenly I'm very tempted to go shopping for some black shirts. ;D
    No longer offering decants. Sorry!

Very interesting account.
    She hasn't been bitten by a bat or other wild animal recently by any chance?
    Renato

Enlightening story from Indie Guy as usual. I have yet to give it a try, but considering it's exclusivity to YSL stores, looks like I'll just have to buy the damn thing... ;D

You may want to sample the Rive Gauche Intense first before purchasing it.
    I find it too syrupy, and different than the original. It may not have the desired effect you're looking for.

I was always afraid that Rive Gauche was a bit 'too much' to make a woman swoon and sniff deeply. Wow, Tom Ford knows the power of 70s/80s inspired scents evokes!

I always equate this fragrance style with Brut. Fougeres don't faze me as much, so what is it that I'm missing? Guess it doesn't matter if the girls are noticing it.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Explorator Dumpsterorum

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    If you can sue a company for making coffee that is too hot so you burnt your tongue, or another for making cigarettes that gave you cancer when you smoked them without you knowing about the risks I bet you could sue YSL for making a fragrance that make ppl bite you. I would do that and buy more scents instead of giving YSL more credit
    HA! Always thinking, eh...?! 8-)

...But if you sue 'em I can just about guarantee that YSL's next batch earmarked for the U.S. won't have a perfume label -- each bottle will just have a sticker instead that reads: *"WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that spritzing R.G. is hazardous to your circulation!" ;D

Explorator Dumpsterorum

Finally. A fragrance that says...

Quote Originally Posted by Ezhno
    Finally. A fragrance that says...

LOL!!!
    Indeed great story!!!!! 8-)

;D ;D Great story, as always! Thanks Indie_Guy!

I'm going to have to mooch a sample of this from someone - now I gotta know! haha

Seriously though, I'm with Liquid on this one. It's got to have something to do with you other than your scent because I don't care how good a man smells, if he's unattractive or otherwise a goober he's getting a chaste sincere compliment at the most. No woman is biting a man simple because he smells good...unless it's "part of her act" as it can be with some gals. You guys probably know what I mean by that: it's meant to get attention but it goes nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Octothorpe

Why wait until "spring" ;D ? *Btw, that jig was dipped in a bottle of a garlic-based scent and it works. I caught that Bass yesterday and was fishing shirtless until time for me to take the pic----71 degrees then!

I just got my first(blind) bottle of RG this AM at work. *I immediately sqirted some on the top of each hand, waited 30 minutes or so, and then asked three different women their opinion of it and they all smiled and said they liked it but none "bit" me ;D ;D !

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

I'm so glad you've returned with the stories. ;D

We actually talked about stuff like this in the chat once. I think it's only partly because you smelled good because one of the times it happened to me was back in high school when I didn't care much about how I smelled... I think I was wearing.. uhm... Axe. My shoulder was the target and yes, it really hurt. I actually thought the girl was really angry at me because it hurt so much - but when she stopped she just smiled and started laughing.

I guess you should just take it as some kind of weird compliment... that hurts. Quite a paradox. :P

Gonna test da bitabilities of dat Rive Gauche for sure - of course .... ;D ;D
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Quote Originally Posted by Octothorpe

Just be sure you're not spritzing RG when going ocean fishing. You never know what you could attract!

(click on the image to better see the expression on this excited female shark screaming "I LOVE RG&quot

Yes it's true.

Last night was very interesting. *After showering, I was buttoning up my shirt thinking of what fragrance to wear to work. *I decided to wear Rive Gauche Pour Homme. *WHY? *Well, because I was thinking about its status as "King of Compliments". *And while its true that Rive Gauche has gotten more compliments than anything else in my drobe of 100, for whatever reason- I just don't wear it much.

So I gave my bare chest a good spray, dabbed a little on my neck, and went to work.

As soon as I got to work, I was counting my drawer for changeover. *The AM bartender is a very cute girl, and she gets very physical sometimes at work- always grabbing, punching, kicking, hugging. *Just a very cool girl to work with. *She came over and stood next to me. *One of my female managers came over and they were both standing beside me. *I was trying to focus on counting money, but I thought I could hear them talking about how good I smelled.

And then this girl put her head close to my chest , inhaled deeply and then LIKE LIGHTNING she BIT me on the upper bicep. *Like a rattlesnake or a cobra, in one fast move she managed to give me a very deep bite on the arm. *As I was rubbing my arm I told her "Damn! That really hurts...but at the same time it feels really good..."

The next time some newbie asks that question about "What fragrance do chicks like?", instead of directing them to the sticky, you could just type in Rive.Gauche.Pour.Homme. *When I compare the reactions I've gotten wearing Rive Gauche to EVERYTHING else in my 100 plus drobe and all the samples I've worn- It just isn't even close.

What is it about this seemingly simple fragrance that causes a girl to bite me? *I've had girls tell me they loved alot of different fragrances I've worn (Passage D'Enfer, A*Men, M7, Michael, Himalaya, Dreamer, Skai, Jaisalmer -and I've got a good story for each), but most of the time when I wear these fragrances I get no comment or outright reaction. *Practically EVERY TIME I wear Rive Gauche, something like this happens.

And as I was leaving work, a female manager walked by and I asked her if she was wearing CKBe and she was impressed that I could tell. So while on the subject of fragrances I put a sample of Rive Gauche Pour Homme up to her nose. *She closed her eyes and purred "Ohhhhh, that smells so good" like she was having an orgasm. *There you have it.

Oh , and after that girl bit me, she asked what I was doing tomorrow (tonight). *She wants to go out for drinks. *She's got a boyfriend, and I'm not the type of guy to mow another man's lawn. *But If she attacks me, I'm not gonna run and hide!

Indie
    Best. Post. Ever.

Just got it today, I must wait till I have the courage to wear it *;D,
    thank you for sharing your story, that's awesome! Like I said many times before it is an awesome juice, just please don't overspray

Good story. They will be sniffing you more often now. I may have to get this juice.

I can testify to this man's tale. One time I was at the mall in the fragrance aisle and, having lathered my body in every other scent to test, ended up spraying Rive Gauche on my package. Immediately following was a stampede of women with bared fangs.

Stupid question:

Do Rive Gauche Intense/Light even compare to Rive Gauche PH? Should I even bother with them or just go for this heart breaker on a blind?

Hey, thanks for digging up my old thread! I had forgotten about it.

This is a good opportunity for me to recommend a scent that I find similar to Rive Gauche, and maybe even a bit superior.

I am talking about Versace Black Jeans. I've been wearing this to work the past week and have gotten a ton of compliments, and I think this scent pushes bystanders' buttons the way Rive Gauche does. It has a few notes in common with Rive Gauche- the anise and vetiver. Both are built on a bit of a retro chassis. They have that kind of barbershop grooming product/hairspray quality that says, "I'm all gussied up now, and I bet you didn't know I cleaned up this nicely"

But Black Jeans goes one step beyond. While Rive Gauche seems to smell of a pallette of browns, black, and metallic silver- (just like the packaging), Black Jeans has a juicy spike of something like a bolt of deep blue lightning running down the center with a tinge of iris. Really electrifying, this one. Also it's very dry and herbal. But it almost has a kind of mass market quality to it. That loud, young confident Versace trademark. I discovered it one night at a nightclub in the men's room- it was part of the valet's collection. I sprayed it blind and was blown away. It took me forever to find a bottle (thanks again nsamadi!), but now I can't imagine my life without it.

So if you like Rive Gauche or you wanted to like Rive Gauche but it didn't do it for you, then you might try Black Jeans. I find that it works in the same situations where one might wear Rive Gauche. Several compliments so far. Black Jeans is discontinued so you may find it hard to snag, but it may be worth it to you to check out. I hope my bottle lasts awhile...

Great story indie

Im on a fence with RG. It might be a perfect work cent for me(and the little possibility to get bitten by ladies helped ;D ) but it has something that its missing. To me it smells like hand cream with smoke, wich isnt neccesarily a bad thing!. Its fresh, but still bit dark. BUt could maybe use some spice and perhaps vanilla?

Ill have to test it again tomorrow.

Little did I know that rive gauche had been discontinued (in the USA anyways) for nearly 2 years and YSL just now brought it back. Every YSL boutique has only the small size of RG but expect the larger size soon. I have been considering the purchase of RG lately and the purchase of Jazz. I still don't know which I'd rather own between them.

Yes, IMO RG is a great frag, its perfect for going out in the evening, clubbing and so on. I have a few problems with the lasting power....it lasts about 4-5 hours on me, then it is almost gone...whats your experience?

Do you think Black Jeans has a better lasting power??

Yes I agree with Peace: I sometimes think that some ingredients are missing..spices, vanilla....

What frag is similiar to RG but has also some vanilla in it? Does it really exist??

I always find it so strange to hear such comments on RG.

When I tried it all the females around me ran for cover screaming things like "You smell like an old man" etc..

Personally I have to agree, I think its vile!

:-/

If ever there was a post that deserved to be labelled a "classic", then this post of Indie's must surely qualify. *

Because of its reputation, I have really wanted Rive Gauche to work for me. *Unfortunately, when Rive Gauche is on my skin, I don't find it to be that attractive. *Also, I have noticed that, whenever I spray Rive Gauche on my skin, my heartbeat increases, which is frankly uncomfortable. *I know that people might be able to make a joke about this fact (heart beating faster, etc.), but I think it has something to do with the chemicals in the juice of Rive Gauche irritating my body to a point where my heartbeat increases. *Anyway, I keep testing Rive Gauche, hoping that it will "work" for me. *Unfortunately, maybe it won't. *I am going to continue testing it. * * *

"Damn! That really hurts...but at the same time it feels really good..."
    Yeah, isn't that always the way?

I can't remember ever having bitten a man because he smelled good, but, uh... I probably have, actually....

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford
    Anyway, I keep testing Rive Gauche, hoping that it will "work" for me. Unfortunately, maybe it won't. I am going to continue testing it.
    I have the same relationship with Shalimar. I really, really WANT to love it, I want it to love me, I want a relationship with it, but it just doesn't seem to work. I keep testing, but... *sigh*

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Quote Originally Posted by bonni
    I can't remember ever having bitten a man because he smelled good, but, uh... I probably have, actually....
    haunting words ;D
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford
    If ever there was a post that deserved to be labelled a "classic", then this post of Indie's must surely qualify.
    I dunno, mine was pretty good.

I wore Rive Gauche on Friday and my wife just swooned for it.

We had been apart for a week, so maybe the abscence helped!

I tried Rive Gauche today for the first time, by coincidence. I'm really impressed - very crudely, the 'top' half is similar to the original Armani Pour Homme (nice citric/herbal mix) and the 'bottom' half is similar to Tuscany (must be the patchouli). It works really well and I have ordered a bottle without hesitation.

I want to give my upmost respect to the Rive Gauche. The girl at work today cosied up to me, smelt me for what seemed like a minute and then gave out a: "Mmmmmmm"! High praise indeed.

Dammit if there is a frag out there that elicits a more positive reaction from the opposite sex, I will be suitabally impressed. *

The formula it seems is a rather straightforward one:-

Rive Gauche PH -------------------> *:-*

I've ordered a bottle of "Black Jeans" and I am waiting to arrive...

Quote Originally Posted by Tanzfreak24
    I've ordered a bottle of "Black Jeans" and I am waiting to arrive...

Black Jeans is wonderful. It walks the line between classy and trashy so well. The other night, I was wearing Black Jeans and one of our female dining room attendants who doesn't speak much English, had someone translate a compliment to me on the way I smelled.

I really do think that Black Jeans and Rive Gauche are kindred spirits in some way. I hope you love your Black Jeans!

The Rive Gauche effect?

LOL!

Today I did something I normally would never do- I wore M7 to work. I didn't use the EDT. I used the shower gel when I washed my hair, and I used a little aftershave balm on my face. I was afraid it would be too strong, but it was perfect. A good decision. Not something I'd do during a busy shift on a hot day, but today it was just me and one girl for a while. There is something in M7 that smells like Hostess Twinkies, far into the drydown.

Then I kept smelling what I could SWEAR was Himalaya coming from one of the bartenders. I know it wasn't, but damn I should have asked. So I got home and put on some Himalaya... it smells the like what that dude wore. One of these days I'll ask. Not today though, I was already talking about the movie "Rent" (and how much I hated it) at work but to bring up this guy's cologne would be a 98 mph strike two on anyone's gaydar.

So that's pretty much it. Well, the girl who bit me was there. She didn't bite me wearing M7.

I was already talking about the movie "Rent" (and how much I hated it) at work but to bring up this guy's cologne would be a 98 mph strike two on anyone's gaydar.
    LOL!!! ;D

Hmm. I bought my bottle of Rive Gauche a couple of months ago and I wore it with confidence until some girls at my college told me it smelled like an old man's cologne. After this happened I started using it rarely, but I am considering to give it another chance after rereading this magnificent thread. Thank you Indie_Guy, for being one of the funniest and amusing to read basenoters !

The professional environment in which I work would never allow for such a thing. Oh well, I guess I can read posts here to live vicariously.

I love it when someone revives a classic thread.

Someone find the thread about Scentemental's trip and the fragrances he brought with. It's another lesson in the powers of Rive Gauche.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Blog Entries

Indie, my ballcap is off to you. You have brought new meaning to the very idea of "gourmand".

BoBN factor = 100/100. (And a bass to boot! This thread's a keeper. )

Of course! this is a BN classic!

Blog Entries

Well yeah it is a keeper...that's why I nominated it on the Best of Basenotes thread! I found it really funny that after I nominated it, this thread surfaced again
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I'm glad I just traded for a bottle... perhaps it's because I'm not single but this shit just doesn't happen to me. The girls at my local starbucks are the closest I come to frequent fragrance compliments...

Rive Gauche is one of the best fragrances and not even in the Basenote Award 2008 (not even in the list)...I was disapointed. For me it is the best designer fragrance 2008 (non niche).
    It is a classic!!!