Code of Conduct

Default Silver Mountain Water gender vote

Ok. We ran the poll on Musc Ravageur and there appeared to be a strong lean towards masculine.

HOWEVER - it appears the poll may have been tainted by my questionable choice of words.
    Valid criticisms were made by some very prominant Basenoters.
    I plan to re-run the MR poll in the future.

Today lets shift out attention to another Basenotes "unisex" darling - Creed Silver Mountain Water.

What gender illusion does SMW create in your mind? Masculine or feminine?
    This time there will be no easy option of "perfectly unisex" - just go with your gut instinct.
    There is no right or wrong answer - just pick a lean in one direction or the other.

BTW - ONCE AGAIN - This is not a thread as to the merits or otherwise of mixing fragrances and genders.
    I think most Basenoters agree that you should wear fragrances which make you happy.
    Please do not argue the merits of a genderless society - that's not the purpose of this thread.
    We are merely considering the mental gender links that Basenoters have made to SMW at this point in time.

Default Re: Silver Mountain Water gender vote

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey
    This time there will be no easy option of "perfectly unisex" - just go with your gut instinct.
    My gut instinct is: I don't think it is particularly feminine, but then again, I don't think it is particulary masculine. I vote nought.

Both my girlfriend and I have tried this one, and I have to say, when she wore it, she smelled like a man. I think it's that odd ink-like note that skews it masculine. Without it, it would be more like Mure et Musc Extreme, which I find to be unisex leaning feminine.

I know SMW is considered Unisex but to me its definitely masculine
    Its got that men's cologne smell. This is one unisex scent that's not for me and i wear hard core old style 80's men's scents LOL......its the men's cologne prorotype that typically says for men only to my nose!!!

I would have voted for the "doesn't lean one way or the other" option if it was available. I wear it, so I guess it's "masculine enough", but would am equally pleased when my wife wears it.

Jim

Blog Entries

I wear both men and women's fragrances with ease, especially the classic formulations. I personally find Berries very unusual in a masculine cologne and Tea notes are also feminine in my perception of notes. Therefore I find that Creed Silver Mountain Water veers towards feminine to my nose.

However it is one of the freshest summer sheer scents I have ever smelt and I find that it conveys personal strength rather than traditional (feminine) passivity and ickly sweetness. Truly this is a unisex scent which manifests itself according to the attitude of the wearer. Maybe it is this unsweetened fresh fruit over smoky tea and musk that 'marks' it as masculine to many but I believe it is the Creed history and reputation that creates and enhances this edge.

Either way it is a truly delicious refreshing fragrance that I shall enjoy wearing in the heat this summer.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I didn't really find anything feminine about it but that's just me. I think it's because it's not overly sweet.

If I had to choose one over another, rather than both, I would say masculine. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't wear it. :-)

I'd have to say it's definitely more masculine but also one that a cool and chic gal can certainly pull off.

Uh, my gut instinct with this one is "unisex". Does that mean I'm not supposed to vote?
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

The perfect unisex scent, and a stunning one at that.
    -

Wink Re: Silver Mountain Water gender vote

It transcends gender in a very intelligent way. UNISEX!

Masculine in all ways

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Moondeva, pretty cool, I can read your posts even without my contact lenses in!!
    (sorry, just me being un-funny )

Although I agree, tea is for ladies, sissy's and dandy's. Coffee is for real men, harrrr!

Silver Mountain , however, I believe I read somewhere mr .Creed loves to wear this for himself, so who are we to say men can't wear it?
    Serious, I think this is more suitable for men. It's fresh, easy and comfortable to wear. I think Royal water is more feminine. just my opinion ofcourse.

Basenotes Institution

My vote: unisex

Definitely masculine.
    Current favourites: Silver Mountain Water - Terre d'Hermes - Erolfa - Fou d'Absinthe - Sequoia

Totally pleasant, fresh, and - androgynous.
    Last edited by narcus; 27th September 2007 at 10:34 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Off-Scenter

Frankly, it is unisex, but I like it better on myself than on my wife.

My associations with it are feminine, it is one of my best girlfriends signature scent...she is very girly, but also very strong and assertive and a real outdoors gal.
    My vote is feminine. Moondeva's post captured it for me.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache