Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances which shout ---------> Alpha Male!

Any ideas?

Default Re: Fragrances which shout ---------> Alpha Male!

Hi all,

TRUSSARDI UOMO!

SANTA MARIA NOVELLA "ACQUA DI CUBA!"

Regards,
    SixCats!

Azzaro PH

Kouros.
    Mouchoir De Monsieur.

YSL Kouros
    Chanel Antaeus
    Micheal Kors
    Davidoff Zino
    Creed Bois du Portugal
    YSL Rive Gauche
    Boss Baldessarini

Post Thanks / Like

Aramis Havana

Post Thanks / Like

Mazzolari Mazzolari

Post Thanks / Like

SMN Peau d'Espagne
    Rochas Macassar

Caron - Third Man

Post Thanks / Like

Trussardi Uomo
    Santos Cartier
    Chanel Antaeus
    Rochas Macassar

Post Thanks / Like

ARABIE
    KNIZE TEN
    CUIRON
    MALLE NOIR EPICES
    VILLORESI var.
    ROCHAS LUI
    LIVE JAZZ
    GUERLAIN DERBY
    ROCABAR
    GREY FLANNEL
    EAU SAUVAGE xt
    KITON MEN
    BANDIT
    QUORUM
    P.RABANNE ph
    TABAC ORIGINAL
    BOGNER, DEEP FOREST
    MIRACLE, m.

'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrive Gauche

VC&A pour homme

Yatagan
    Aramis
    Bois du Portugal
    JHL
    Cuiron
    Santos Concentree
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Antaeus!!!!!

8-)

Post Thanks / Like

Salvador Dali Pour Homme
    Rive Gauche
    Havana

And last but not least...BRUT!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I'd have to agree with the other posts: Trussardi Uomo
    Montana for Men
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Romeo Gigli

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with just about everything posted, save Mouchoir de Monsieur, which is almost unisex to me.

Can't believe there's been no mention of Aramis Tuscany.
    I don't think Guerlain Derby has been mentioned either.
    Chanel Pour Monsieur is sublty alpha in its maleness - it speaks alpha male, firmly but without raising its voice.
    Dior Jules is kinda macho, too.

If a guy could attain alpha male status simply by spraying on a little cologne, I think we would all be using that cologne. Being the alpha is all about attitude, not how you smell. However, if I had to pick one cologne that wasn't already mentioned, I'd have to go with Antonio Puig's Quorum. Wear this with a plain white t-shirt, faded blue jeans and black harness boots to pull off the alpha male look.

:P

Anteaus

Kouros.

It's interesting that alot of you seem to equate alpha maleness with "old school bruiser/daddy" scents.

I don't really see it that way. I think in modern terms that Aqua di Gio is the biggest example of the alpha male aesthetic, whereas stuff like Kouros and Quorum may have captured alpha male 20 years ago.

On a first date, I want to try and cast myself as more of an alpha male than usual. So I leave the brainy, risky stuff in the drobe. Still, I'd rather shoot myself than wear AdG or anything like it. So I have to decide upon something that is crisp, clean, a bit loud, confident and yet not too calculating. Something I can wager that all girls will love (its hard trying to plan for pleasing "all&quot, but something I like.

I've decided that my default alpha male first date scent is Paul Smith London. It's just got that trademark "something" about it, like when you smell Le Male, D&G , Allure, AdG, you know exactly what it is. Yet, I don't smell London on anyone else. It's clean, deep, energetic, both warm and cool. It reminds me of picking blackberries at dusk and also of a slight coconut suntan lotion on warm day.

"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    It's interesting that alot of you seem to equate alpha maleness with "old school bruiser/daddy" scents.

I don't really see it that way. I think in modern terms that Aqua di Gio is the biggest example of the alpha male aesthetic, whereas stuff like Kouros and Quorum may have captured alpha male 20 years ago.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. Let's collect modern alpha scents and I want to start with three of my favourites:

Hugo Boss Baldessarini (2002)
    YSL Rive Gauche (2003)
    YSL Kouros Cologne Sport (I believe this counts, it's the modern version of Kouros, dates back from 2003)

and also:
    Michael Kors Michael for men (2001)
    Gucci pour homme (2003)

not too "old":
    Kiton men (1996)
    Shiseido Basala (1993)

The thing is that with the introduction of watered down scents, aquatic scents, unisex scents and most of all sweet scents for men the instantly detectable masculinity, the "yang" about it them has been "weakened". Some of the scents sold to men nowadays would have been considered way too feminine 20 or more years ago, e.g. Le Male, Rochas Man, Allure, etc., which can easily be pulled of by a woman as well. I doubt it that a woman could pull off Kouros just as easily or Quorum for that matter. In the past you could almost just grab any scent from the department store shelves and hold an "alpha" scent in your hands, e.g. Old Spice, Chanel pour Monsieur, Givenchy Gentleman, etc. ;D This observation of mine ties in with the emerging trend of the metrosexual man.

To my mind this is a recent social phenomenon and a trend that people follow, because women tell us that it is "hip" to be that way, while due to their inherent nature they would rather more respond to alpha man traits. It's no wonder to me that every time someone asks for chick magnet scents Rive Gauche and Kouros come up, there's no "ying" about them AT ALL!!! 8-) Women love men to be men, they respond most strongly to explicit male traits, just as much as we go for the more feminine type. Natural!

Women always want to change men and in the process they turn a maculine man into a feminine man, however, they are not to blame at all, it is just natural for them to make men more feminine, as that is something they know about 100%! Nonetheless, even if a woman turns you into more of a "girly" man this is not what her inbuilt attraction mechanism responds to most. Her mechanism is turned on by the alpha man, the leader, the in-charge kinda guy with high self-esteem. That means, if you have a scent that your little sister can pull off, women may like it for themselves and even on you, but - well - it just isn't the infamous chick magnet, I guess. : For it to be attractive to women it has to scream "confident man".

In romance novels women fantasise about that untamed, "dark" guy who is somewhat gentlemanly on the surface, but a wild beast beneath that they want to tame. Think about it. What kind of sent would such a guy wear?!?

Now, I also believe that you should wear whatever you like best and not so much care about other people's opinion of you (i.e. another Alpha trait!). Therefore, an Alpha man can just as much pull off a more feminine scent and get away with it. But if you want to stress your alpha characteristics, I'd say go for "yang" scents.

The "How-do-I-determine-if-a-scent-is-Alpha" guide by BlueOcean: ;D

Make a list of the ingredients, the infamous olfactory pyramid. Then look at the ingredients. The more male characteristics you find, the more alpha it is:

Male
    -----
    Leather
    Oakmoss
    Patchouli
    Vetiver
    Civet
    Spices
    Earthy scents
    Dark woods
    Tobacco
    etc.

Female:
    ---------
    Flowers
    Fruit
    Sweet scents
    Sweet woods
    etc.

Male
    -----
    Leather
    Oakmoss
    Patchouli
    Vetiver
    Civet
    Spices
    Earthy scents
    Dark woods
    etc.

Female:
    ---------
    Flowers
    Fruit
    Sweet scents
    Sweet woods
    etc.

I agree with this ingredients/notes.
    In male also herbal/aromatic scents, fougere/tobaco-tonka.
    Civette more feminine.
    Leather notes like Castoreum more masculine.

I think these have all been mentioned, but:

Aramis Tuscany and Havana
    Creed Tabarome and Bois du Portugal
    Chanel Antaeus
    YSL Rive Gauche

These haven't been mentioned yet (i think)

Hermes Bel Ami
    Lalique PH (the lion)
    Bogart's Witness
    Gigli's Sud Est
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I can wear many male colognes well probably because I enjoy and prefer the more assertive, confident, powerful female fragrances of yesteryear (Gres Cabochard is one of my ultimate HG) but even I have found some men's colognes which I cannot wear due to their unmistakable masculinity - I just smell like a girl wearing a man's aftershave rather than smelling intriguingly confident. * :-/

I usually find that it is the type of fougere, leather or musk that smells great with testosterone but wars with oestrogen. *:P

My Manly Scents:

Chanel Antaeus
    Paco Rabanne XS pour homme
    Body Shop Javari
    Mont Blanc Presence
    Crown Perfumery Crown Imperial
    Creed Cuir de Russie
    Chanel pour Monsieur
    (though I still can't help wearing it)
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    English Leather Limed
    Dunhill Desire for a Man
    Robert Puiget Bandit for men
    Paco Rabanne pour homme
    Royal Copenhagon Cologne
    Crown Perfumery Town & Country
    (I still can't help wearing it)

I have not mentioned such classics as Acqua di Gio or Coolwater as I cannot stand aquatic or ozonic notes in fragrances and so have steered a wide berth from them and therefore cannot comment.

As a redblooded, passionate female who is used to having her own way I must admit to going weak at the knees around those traditional (civilized) Alpha Male colognes like Chanel pour Monsieur, Paco Rabanne XS pour homme, Mont Blanc Presence, Chanel Antaeus, etc. There are still many, many male colognes that I haven't tried, yet so this list is not definitive.

PS. I sampled a little Paco Rabanne pour homme on my wrist just to confirm my impressions and I have to say - Holy Moses this is the bomb! I would have a real problem - flirting inappropriately, invading personal space (to get a better sniff), preening. And I am not that kinda girl. *:-[

WOWZERS! This stuff is good - needs to be applied with a light hand though. *:-*
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Post Thanks / Like

It's the people who really influence the world who are and have been pushing metrosexuality for a long time. It's easier to control people when they're all alike. And that's just the beginning.
    “Perfume is decidedly not about two things: it isn’t about memory and it isn’t about sex. Perfume is about beauty and intellect,”.........“A perfume is a message in a bottle—not a smell—and the message is written by the perfumer and read by the person who smells it.”