Code of Conduct

Default Musc Ravageur gender vote

Is Musc Ravageur the quintessential unisex fragrance?

I thought it would be interesting to see what other basenoters think of this great fragrance in the context of the gender illusion it creates in their mind.

BTW - This is not a thread as to the merits or otherwise of mixing fragrances and genders.
    I think most Basenoters agree that you should wear what you want and makes you happy.
    Rest assured, no matter what you vote, the Basenoters who enjoy MR will continue to wear it - so don't worry about hurting anyone's feelings.

We are merely considering the mental gender links that Basenoters have made to Musc Ravageur at this point in time.

Default Re: Musc Ravageur gender vote

Well, well, well...
    I must admit I am a little surprised so far.
    I thought we'd have a bit more balance between the masculine & the feminine votes.
    So far popular opinion is that MR is unisex with a solid lean towards masculine.
    It will be interesting to see how this one pans out.

It does disturb me, proud owner of MUSK RAVAGEUR, when women claim it as theirs. Some have never considered anything else, as they were advised by the Mad Malle Machine!
    - quoting myself from Renatos 'Males wearing female frags' thread:
    " ... unisex/shared/non-gender scents: aren't they neither fish nor bird, olfactory no-man's-land?
    10 and 16 months ago, in two separate 'tests' Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle decided that Musc Ravageur would be just right for me! According to what i picked up from the female frag discussion board, the very same perfume seems to be constantly recommended also to girls of any age. I think I have had few olfactory inhibitions before. But now I am afraid to develop olfactory gender phobia! Sometimes it's better to just wear and enjoy my treasures, forget about any gender, sillage and other issues 3rd party may have. I like to tango my way with a partner who accepts that ;-).

It surprises me how a scent that should not even be conceived as masculine has been nominated for the 2005 basenotes awards (various categories) by so many male members, less than half a year back! It was only second to Bois du Portugal as best male niche fragrance 2005, and it does not even show up as nominated in any category of the female frags!
    I like your term 'gender illusion' for anything but adam and eve! ;D
    Last edited by narcus; 8th September 2008 at 07:24 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

MM
    I wonder if you did the poll without the unisex choice.......or with unisex leaning towards the masculine and another unisex leaning towards feminine and not give the true middle of the road option.......might help flush things out a bit......also did you do the poll over on the womens side.......most of the answers to your poll are from men....might be interesting to see where women stand on this........I see M.R. as unisex but if you asked which side unisex was leaning towards......I'd say feminine

love how you are really flushing out your theory......its a great question and interesting theory

BG

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo_Gal
    MM
    I wonder if you did the poll without the unisex choice.......or with unisex leaning towards the masculine and another unisex leaning towards feminine and not give the true middle of the road option.......might help flush things out a bit......also did you do the poll over on the womens side.......most of the answers to your poll are from men....might be interesting to see where women stand on this........I see M.R. as unisex but if you aked unisex leaning towards one side......I'd say feminine

love how you are really flushing out your theory......its a great question and interesting theory

BG
    Great point. I really wanted a "unisex leaning toward masculine" option. I wonder if women would say it leans fem because they want to "own" it, and men say it leans masculine because they want to "own" the frag.

I have lurked here for a while and have gone to the trouble of registering just to vote in this poll!

I think MR is a truly unisex scent, I wear it and would love to smell it on others more often.

I love it and find it entirely unisex but don't see how it could lean towards the masculine.
    "...The history of perfumery before this subdivision of niche was manufactured, both literally and imaginatively, is a long one, with thousands upon thousands of fragrances. The true fragrance lover takes each fragrance one at a time, and examines it preferably outside of the imaginatively manufactured categories and, in doing so, builds up a steady, informed basis for seasoned comparative judgments based on the sampling and information gathered from such sampling. This is why any one on the board who ever has anything particular interesting to say about fragrances as fragrances rather than as categorical constructs always has an abiding interest and passion for all kinds of fragrances and not just a narrow niche of fragrances. Conversely, the "niche whores," the more and more narrow their interests become, the more and more they mimic the ad copy of the very companies they worship. I know whose posts I like to read..."

“Perfume is decidedly not about two things: it isn’t about memory and it isn’t about sex. Perfume is about beauty and intellect,” .......... “A perfume is a message in a bottle—not a smell—and the message is written by the perfumer and read by the person who smells it.”

Book recommendations:

Perfumes: The A-Z Guide
    The Emperor of Scent
    The Perfect Scent
    Scent and Chemistry

Feeding the Monster: IFRA and the EU Parliament
    www.firstnerve.com/2013/06/feeding-monster-ifra-and-eu-parliament.html

-http://www.firstnerve.com/2013/06/feeding-monster-ifra-and-eu-parliament.html

This is this kind of scent:

1) For women - Three sprays tops
    2) For men - Two sprays tops

And this is the double truth, Ruth.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    I love it and find it entirely unisex but don't see how it could lean towards the masculine.
    Probably just in my mind, which of course really wants it to lean masculine.

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    [quote author=Buffalo_Gal link=1145072502/0#3 date=1145112045]MM
    I wonder if you did the poll without the unisex choice.......or with unisex leaning towards the masculine and another unisex leaning towards feminine and not give the true middle of the road option.......might help flush things out a bit......also did you do the poll over on the womens side.......most of the answers to your poll are from men....might be interesting to see where women stand on this........I see M.R. as unisex but if you aked unisex leaning towards one side......I'd say feminine

BG
    Great point. I really wanted a "unisex leaning toward masculine" option. I wonder if women would say it leans fem because they want to "own" it, and men say it leans masculine because they want to "own" the frag. [/quote]

Hmmm... these are good points.
    Perhaps I've made it too easy to simply pick "unisex" and have therefore skewed the vote?
    It is possible that people who think MR leans to the feminine voted "unisex" thinking it was more appropriate than "feminine".
    This would definitely have corrupted the vote.
    Oh dear... Basenotes science may demand a return to the polling booth!

Maybe the options have been:

I am male and think it leans to masculine
    I am male and think it leans to feminine
    I am female and think it leans to masculine
    I am female and think it leans to feminine

This means no fence sitting.

I'm also interested in putting to the vote: Philosykos, SMW & MI.
    We'll see how the MR poll pans out...

I think it's time for a new election...