Code of Conduct

Default Polo.....seeking a marital compromise

Back in the eighties, I introduced my husband (then boyfriend) to Polo - the original one in the green bottle. I absolutely love this fragrance on a man, but I truly think it's the pine that attracts me, as I love true pine balsam (as from a tree). The freshness, crispness and rugged warmth of pine just appeals to me in a certain way. I am also outdoorsy, being a herb researcher, and like many authentic plant fragrances, but hate artificial-smelling and poorly reproduced plant scents.

My husband used to enjoy Polo, but not really anymore, although he honestly can't state why (it's not an 80's thing as he's comfortable not going along with the crowd). He sometimes is attracted to slightly sweeter scents, which totally turn me off. He does love the smell of a real pine tree, but apparently not Polo.

Being a fragrance lover, I'm looking for a fragrance for him that will appeal to both of us. And yes, he's looking for a scent that I find sexy, for obvious reasons. In case it matters, he's a finance guy, loves football, is a bit shy, and much more of an urbanite in taste - not outdoorsy at all.

Can anyone suggest some fragrances for us to start with, that might appeal to former (and current) Polo lovers? We are overwhelmed as to where to start.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Polo.....seeking a marital compromise

This is the first and only thing that came to mind... http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120140.html

Aspen for men. I don't know if that is exactly what you are looking for but you should try it out. Extra bonus = it is cheep!!!

EnvYuS

Herb Lady,
    I would suggest you guys to go on a joint venture and experience some new stuff these days, if not (if he is unwilling to tag along with you through the mall) than I would suggest you try Gendarme V or anything from their line *(might not be piney but it is one of the often mentioned fragrances on BN and highly spoken of because of it's concept)

If you can find some Bowling Green, that smells like a pretty natural pine frag, but with a lot of citrus.

Acqua di Selva is another one, but it is very dry, and not particularly sweet, so I don't know if hubby will go along with it. It is soapy and lies close to the skin once the initial citrus & pine hits.

Personally I don't find pine particularly sexy so it is tough for me to come up with something with pine that is sexy. Someone is bound to say Yatagan, but that can be difficult to pull off, and is definitely not sweet.
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Lady
    I absolutely love this fragrance on a man, but I truly think it's the pine that attracts me, as I love true pine balsam (as from a tree). *The freshness, crispness and rugged warmth of pine just appeals to me in a certain way
    I just wanted to say that I'm a Polo lover, too. I love its resiny nature. One boyfriend back in the day wore it and it turned so sweet and delicious on him; on a different man it smelled sharper and pinier, and I loved that too. My husband has two bottles of Polo from before I met him but he never wears it. Maybe they were gifts. The bottles are full.

As for suggestions, I'm usually stumped myself. I go for woodsy fragrances and bought those for Hubby until I finally figured out that he likes Oriental frags. He never buys his own, just wears what I buy for him...if he likes it. Of those, he's been reaching for the Jaipur Homme and it smells very nice on him. I bought him Eau Sauvage but I don't think he likes that either. Oh damn, looks like I'll just have to wear it myself this summer. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Herb Lady,

Welcome!

I know of two pine scents that I haven't tried, but they are both old and probably not as good as Polo green: Pino Sylvester and Acqua de Selva.

More current scents that don't have pine but have the other coniferous notes are Hermes Rocabar and Gucci Rush--Both very good scents.

In niche fragrances there are cypress notes in Acqua di Parma Blu Mediteraneo Cipresso and in Bond #9 Great Jones. Also the Comme des Garcons has a red series where Sequoia and Palisander contain those coniferous elements:

http://luckyscent.com/shop/category....categoryid=218

Finally, go to the directory and type in "pine" into the fragrance notes section and that should give you lots of information.

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions so far. I should have indicated, however, that I'm not necessarily looking for a pine fragrance, but that I just happen to like pine, which might be why I like Polo, but I'm more than welcome to explore other areas and notes.

I'm not a big fan of very sweet or soapy scents. I like citrus (lemon, really), but not grapefruit, but also like very deep and dry fragrances on men. I think it's the sharp bitterness of grapefruit that turns me off, but lemon is warmer and richer somehow. Floral is also okay, even in a man's scent, as are herbs, etc.

I don't mind a heavier fragrance, although my husband doesn't care for very heavy scents; he likes more medium-depth ones. Just in case this is also helpful, he's a big dark coffee and red wine drinker. He does like stronger tastes.

We have shopped together for some new scents, but he gets overwhelmed quickly, which is why I'm looking to target a few that might hold possibilities for us and focus our search a little.

Thank you again!

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot say why, but Platinum Egoiste came to mind. Check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions so far. *I should have indicated, however, that I'm not necessarily looking for a pine fragrance, but that I just happen to like pine, which might be why I like Polo, but I'm more than welcome to explore other areas and notes.

I'm not a big fan of very sweet or soapy scents. *I like citrus (lemon, really), but not grapefruit, but also like very deep and dry fragrances on men. *I think it's the sharp bitterness of grapefruit that turns me off, but lemon is warmer and richer somehow. *Floral is also okay, even in a man's scent, as are herbs, etc.

I don't mind a heavier fragrance, although my husband doesn't care for very heavy scents; he likes more medium-depth ones. *Just in case this is also helpful, he's a big dark coffee and red wine drinker. *He does like stronger tastes.

We have shopped together for some new scents, but he gets overwhelmed quickly, which is why I'm looking to target a few that might hold possibilities for us and focus our search a little. *

Thank you again!
    In that case try Herrera for Men, Versace Black Jeans, Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche and M7, Chanel Egoiste, Azzaro Visit... * * A little lighter--Lanvin L'Homme is my favorite.

For lemon scents try Boucheron Pour Homme, Dolce and Gabbana, Boucheron Jaipur, YSL Pour Homme

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions so far. *I should have indicated, however, that I'm not necessarily looking for a pine fragrance, but that I just happen to like pine, which might be why I like Polo, but I'm more than welcome to explore other areas and notes.

I'm not a big fan of very sweet or soapy scents. *I like citrus (lemon, really), but not grapefruit, but also like very deep and dry fragrances on men. *I think it's the sharp bitterness of grapefruit that turns me off, but lemon is warmer and richer somehow. *Floral is also okay, even in a man's scent, as are herbs, etc.

I don't mind a heavier fragrance, although my husband doesn't care for very heavy scents; he likes more medium-depth ones. *Just in case this is also helpful, he's a big dark coffee and red wine drinker. *He does like stronger tastes.

We have shopped together for some new scents, but he gets overwhelmed quickly, which is why I'm looking to target a few that might hold possibilities for us and focus our search a little. *

Thank you again!
    Thanks for the clarification-
    How about:
    Zino (Davidoff) [Dark & resinous. Might be too deep for your husband.]

Acqua di Parma - Colonia [It's citrus followed by rose. It is a light fragrance.]

YSL Pour Homme [Citrus, followed by herbs. Long lasting. There is also a Haute Concentration version of this.]

Miracle Homme [Red Bell Peppers and a coffee note. Usually fairly easy to find at the frag counters at dept stores, but sometimes they keep it with the women's Lancome stuff, BTW. I rather enjoy this one.]

Jazz [Difficult to describe. One of the most balanced fragrances I can think of. Similar to the old formulation of Tsar (the new EDT is different).]

I'm also thinking Body Kouros would work, but I can't really pin down why it would. It is a fragrance along the line of Le Male or A*Men, but not as cloying as Le Male - at least on me. It isn't overly sweet and has amazing duration. A real "lady killer" fragrance. Dry and almost powdery, but not to the point of, say, Lagerfeld Classic or Royal Copenhagen.

While I'm thinking about it, Habit Rouge might be one to try. I like the EDC formulation, but the EDT is more widely available. It starts out citrusy, but dries down to a subtly spicy-silky-leather-powder fragrance. It is a "red velvet" experience for me, if that means anything. I think Habit Rouge might give what you and your husband like in a fragrance.
    K

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You might want to try Hugo by Hugo Boss. I've never owned it, but in my experience it is a nice fruity/pine type scent. My cousin's husband used to wear it a lot and I liked it on him.

Back in the eighties, I introduced my husband (then boyfriend) to Polo - the original one in the green bottle. *I absolutely love this fragrance on a man, but I truly think it's the pine that attracts me, as I love true pine balsam (as from a tree). *The freshness, crispness and rugged warmth of pine just appeals to me in a certain way. * I am also outdoorsy, being a herb researcher, and like many authentic plant fragrances, but hate artificial-smelling and poorly reproduced plant scents.

My husband used to enjoy Polo, but not really anymore, although he honestly can't state why (it's not an 80's thing as he's comfortable not going along with the crowd). *He sometimes is attracted to slightly sweeter scents, which totally turn me off. *He does love the smell of a real pine tree, but apparently not Polo.

Being a fragrance lover, I'm looking for a fragrance for him that will appeal to both of us. *And yes, he's looking for a scent that I find sexy, for obvious reasons. *In case it matters, he's a finance guy, loves football, is a bit shy, and much more of an urbanite in taste - not outdoorsy at all.

Can anyone suggest some fragrances for us to start with, that might appeal to former (and current) Polo lovers? *We are overwhelmed as to where to start.

Thanks for any suggestions!
    Look no further than "Blenheim Bouquet" by Penhaligon's, it's one of the most refined fragrances with the pine accord, also it was once a favourite of Winston Churchill.

Here's a usefull link:

http://www.penhaligons.co.uk/ishop/1/shopscr27.html

Good luck
    Let your nose be your pilot

IPFTN says it way too harshly in the reviews, but Polo has actually something in common with Michael for Men. The base of leather and tobacco is quite similar, with accords of vintage woods. (pine-ish)
    But of course, Michael is way more modern with sweet dried fruits and insence. It`s also more complex.

But yeah, I actually recommend Michael. Worth to try, at least.

Oh my gosh! I'm overwhelmed with the generousity of all who replied. I can't wait to run out and sample all of your wonderful and intriguing suggestions. I'm not sure how I'll sleep tonight, in anticipation of your descriptions; they all sound terrific.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I promise to report back and let you know what my husband finally selects.

Perhaps this should be a separate thread, but I wonder if many of you have a fragrance that you love to wear, or for your significant other to wear, that the other person just doesn't like?

In the meantime, I do sometimes wear a tiny bit of Polo myself when my husband is away on business, just so I can enjoy the fragrance from time to time.

Herb Lady

P.S. I love everyone's user names, but as a horticulturist, have to send an extra smile out to 'Foetidus'!

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

There are several coniferous fragrances worthy of your consideration. Among my favorites is Creed Baie de Genievre. Caron Yatagan may be right up your alley as it is quite an herbal pine. Of course, Guerlain Winter Delice is the Christmas tree scent. Knize Forest, although hard to find in the States, is pretty pine-y too. I find Halston Z-14 quite similar to Polo, although it may be distinctive enough to be preferable. One other thought is Givenchy Insense, which has fir (which I find far more fragrant than pine) blended with some floral notes to make a distinctive 'fume.

Perhaps this should be a separate thread, but I wonder if many of you have a fragrance that you love to wear, or for your significant other to wear, that the other person just doesn't like?
    She doesn't like spicy frags. In particular, she took a dislike to Gucci Pour Homme, which I rather liked. Another one which I like and I can't figure out why she doesn't like is Aramis. Usually she likes bold, leathery fragrances, and Aramis fits the bill.

There is one reversal. Usually she does not like soapy fragrances (usually everything I wears she calls soapy, BTW). However, she absolutely adores Gendarme V on me, which is quintessentially a soapy fragrance. Go figure!
    K

If my wife liked Polo (not sure if she does) I would wear it and call it a day! I may have to explore that option as I do enjoy it.

Habit Rouge may be the ticket.

Good luck! ~mm
    Peace ~ Markymark

Post Thanks / Like

"Greenbriar" by Caswell-Massey is the best Polo substitute I can think of...

You also may wish to try "Jockey Club" by CM.

If for some strange reason you don't like the Greenbriar, try Guerlain's Vetiver.
    "Flagrantly fragrant and they can't escape me. My perfume pursued them everywhere that they went.
    You don't want a loan, leave my cologne alone. It's a little too strong for you to be putting on".
    - Lupe Fiasco

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this is Piney enough...But CDG Zagorsk comes to mind and for some off the beaten path scents ~
    Mazzolari Mazzolari, Divine L'Homme sage, Miller Harris feuilles de tabac & Creed Baie de Genievre

Quote Originally Posted by Echo777
    "Greenbriar" by Caswell-Massey is the best Polo substitute I can think of...
    I think this is a great choice but...

I have to put in a word of caution with the Caswell Massey Greenbriar: they changed the formula, unfortunately. The old one has similarities with Polo (and IMHO Antaeus, very much so), but the newer formulation is a lot like Cool Water.

The new bottle looks very nice and is a green bottle with a gold cap if I remember correctly. [Too bad they couldn't have just changed the bottle and not the formula. The new bottle is very elegant!]

You might be able to find the older formulation on ebay though, that's how I got a bottle. "thelorax00" seems to have it now... I don't remember who I got mine from The Vintage Greenbriar should be in their standard cylindrical bottle with the Caswell Massey coat of arms sticker on it.

I was pretty miffed when they changed the formula, I think that was the only time I lost my cool in a store. I sprayed it on a card, sniffed it, slapped it down, and said impertinantly to the C-M SA impertinantly "Cool Water!" > Not exactly something I was proud of, but just goes to show how much they changed the frag.
    K

Vicomte,

You are right on the money. Vintage Greenbrirar is my SOTD, and it has been accurately described as a better Polo, but the new one is a different beast, a Cool Water rip-off. As I mentioned in my Basenotes review, if you want Cool Water, I would venture that you would buy Cool Water.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Polo...seeking a marital compromise attn: Herb Lady

hate to resurrect an old thread, but I missed this one.

I am a huge fan of Polo Green (and its sorely missed offspring Polo Crest)

While my g/f does like Polo herself, I myself wanted some divergence from it- it used to be my staple, and is still my favorite of all time, odd as it may be for a 30 year old.

Its unmatched I think in smokey/resinous character, but I too have searched and sniffed a vast number of fragrances in trying to find "cousins." While I have still not found anything to trump Polo, these are the closest fragrances I have yet found in spirit to Polo Green:

Antaeus- Manly, dark, spicy, moving from dry to the subtle sweetness of its dry down. Antaeus is the closest contender I have used to dethroning Polo, and the more I wear it the more I love it. God Damn! I gotta go put some on!

Francesco Smalto- This can be found for beans, but is a real sleeper. My easiest description is a slightly sweeter/warmer Drakkar Noir. I was told by the salesman that introduced me to this one that it was marketed originally to wearers of Giorgio Red. I cannot confirm similarity to Red as it has been a good 15 years since I smelled it. It has all the coniferous quality of Polo without the smokey heaviness that Polo has in its duration.

Bel Ami- The extreme opposite of FS, this one is all the smokey parts of Polo, and none of the evergreens and herbal elements. This frag is in my wardrobe, and I love the hell out of it, but at 30, its SO beyond my age, and admittedly, class. This scent belongs to wealthy old money. And I am neither old or wealthy. But I sneak it on now and then because its just so MAN.

Santos Concentree by Cartier: This one is heavy. I wouldn't say as heavy as Bel Ami, but still a crushing titan of a fragrance. On my skin it starts off very reminiscent of Polo, but almost does a 180 before the day is over, turning more into a spicy oriental, with strong vanilla and tobacco notes.

Finally. Polo Crest, when it can be found, is such a beauty. Retaining so much of the spirit of Polo green, with a strong floral note (jasmin I think?) that is just remarkable, and brings Polo to the masses, I think. I grieve the discontinuation of this scent more than any other. Personally, I would not look to a discontinued scent as a new signature, but is good for a segue now and again.

Hope this helps narrow your quest!

Mark

Try Terre D'Hermes. I think you would like it.