Code of Conduct
    Hawaii2NewYork

Default Help - Recommend fragrance for boyfriend?

Hi,

I hope this isn't TOO redundant, but I couldn't find a thread that exactly matched my question...

I am just getting started with my fragrance obsession, and I'd like to find something for my boyfriend too.

He has worn Polo Sport for as long as I've known him. It smells great on him, but hasn't worn it for while; which I assume is because he is tired of it or finds it "dated."

I think he would like a preppy/fresh fragrance in the same vein but since I'm not familiar with masculine scents I'll take any recommendations! He has a serious dark side when you get to know him, but visually comes off as the monogram-y type that looks good in a pink or light blue polo or button down, with a v-neck sweater if it's cool. I think he would balk at something overly funky-skanky-musty, musky, leathery, pimp-ish, spicy-sweaty, or gender ambiguous. Basically he doesn't have the patience to wait for the more rewarding phases, and he gravitates toward the "modern" (but not conceptual). He is 28.

Of the masculines that I've smelled, the ones that have grabbed me have been Calypso Marine, Bond no. 9 Wall Street, and Creed Bois du Portugal.

Any ideas? If anyone can point me toward any relevant threads I would be very grateful for that too...

Thank you, thank you!

Kelly

Default Re: Help - Recommend fragrance for boyfriend?

Hmm. What do boyfriends wear? Good question…
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

Hawaii2NewYork

Perhaps I should rephrase my question more generally:

What are the best masculine fragrances that are very accessible, modern, and hopefully memorable?

Is that better?.... =)

Kelly

Damn! counts me out
    I like funky-skanky-musty-pimpish-spicey-sweaty frags
    some of my favorites ;D

Get him something you like,he will probably like that

How about Christian Lacroix Tumulte?
    It's modern yet different from the usual aquatics.
    While I prefer Diptyque Tam Dao, I think Tumulte is lighter and more versatile in a small collection.

Another unique fresh scent is L'Artisan Navegar - pepper, cedar, lime, anice.
    Navegar smells best on a scorching hot humid day.

Accessible, modern and memorable? Gosh, he’s high maintenance, get rid of him ;p
    I hate to recommend but for my comment, I suspect that I’m obliged.
    These are the fragrances most commonly worn by active members of this forum over the last month (in order): http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...43883607/10#10

abridged for my conscience:

1.- Dior homme - Dior - 41
    2.- M7 - YSL - 41
    5.- Green Irish Tweed - Creed - 33
    6.- Vetiver - Guerlain - 33
    7.- Pour homme - Gucci - 31
    8.- Tea for Two - L'artisan - 30
    9.- Cuiron - Helmut Lang - 27
    11.- Rive Gauche - YSL - 25
    12.- Chergui - Serge Lutens - 23
    13.- Pour Homme - Dolce & Gabanna - 23
    14.- Black - Bulgari - 22
    15.- Dzing! - L'artisan - 22
    18.- Egoiste - Chanel - 21
    20.- M7 Fresh - YSL - 20
    21.- Allure - Chanel - 19
    22.- Daim Blond - Serge Lutens - 19
    24.- Brit - Burberry - 18

additional suggestions:

black jeans - versace
    live jazz - yves saint laurent
    neroli sauvage - creed
    eau pour le jeune homme - maitre parfumeur et gantier
    cK Be
    eau sauvage - christian dior
    bulgari pour homme - bulgari

TEST FIRST!!
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

I don't know what Polo Sport smells like that but is a good start. He must like citrusy-fresh smelling fragrances? You could start him with Annick Goutal's L'Hadrian, Lorenzo Villoresi's L'Uomo or Frederic Malle's Cologne Bigarade
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Hawaii2NewYork

Thank you all for the great suggestions!

They are all going into an excel spreadsheet for further research and sniffing. Sweet.

Yes, it is my suspicion that he gravitates toward the fresher scents but since he is high maintenance (as Hobo Joe correctly inferred) he would never directly answer any questions as to his preferences - that would be much too easy!

Thanks again!

He might like Yohji Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by whofarted
    Get him something you like,he will probably like that
    I agree. I've picked out scents for my boyfriend for the last four years and I have two criteria: I must like it and it must suit him. He has loved everything I've ever gotten him, except for one thing (Crave; but I should've known better. Before I bought it, he had seen it in a magazine and said it looked cheap and he probably wouldn't wear it. I thought I could change his mind. Nope--we finally passed it off to his dad after about a year.)

You might want to start by sniffing other Polo scents since you know he likes one of them. My boyfriend tends to like scents from the same fragrance house, i.e., he has multiple Issey Miyake, Burberry and Creed frags. He likes Polo too, especially Polo Blue, but we were both really disappointed with the staying power of Polo Blue, so I haven't bought him any other Polo frags since. He likes Polo Black quite a bit, but I haven't purchased that for him yet.

So, if I were you, I would just test a few different ones and pick a favorite. If you have the extra money, maybe pick two. When I met my boyfriend, he only had one fragrance--Gucci Envy. At the time I knew nothing about men's cologne (other than I remembered I liked to make out with boys that wore Cool Water when I was 17), but I felt because I was such a fragrance whore that he should be too. After a couple of months of dating, I headed to Saks and chose two colognes based solely on the fact that I liked them. He loved them both and loved the fact that I spent a lot of time (the better part of an afternoon) looking for the perfect scents to give him. So, I think your boyfriend will appreciate that it is a scent you find attractive and that you picked it out just for him. I'm sure you know your boyfriend well enough to guess what scents he might find repulsive.

Good luck!

(btw, those first two scents I got for my boyfriend were Thierry Mugler cologne and Issey Miyake summer edition 2002)

I had 3 different women tell me (in the same day) that Lolita Lempicka for men smelled OUTSTANDING on me.
    just a thought.

I wouldn't qualify Bois Du Portugal as easily accesible because it's quite strong and pronounced. But if he does like it, you've got yourself a classy-smelling boyfriend!

For something all-season, non-offensive you could try Dior Homme (which just won numerous awards), Green Irish Tweed (a lot of fans and therefore also reviews and reading material about this one on the board), D&G pour Homme or Live Jazz.

Good luck on your quest!

You can't go wrong w/ Mugler cologne or Gendarme.

Bvlgari ~ Aqva
    Carthusia ~ Uomo
    Herrera ~ Aqua
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gooderin
    You might want to start by sniffing other Polo scents since you know he likes one of them. My boyfriend tends to like scents from the same fragrance house, i.e., he has multiple Issey Miyake, Burberry and Creed frags. He likes Polo too, especially Polo Blue, but we were both really disappointed with the staying power of Polo Blue, so I haven't bought him any other Polo frags since. He likes Polo Black quite a bit, but I haven't purchased that for him yet.
    You might check out Romance Silver Men by Ralph Lauren (2003) as it is one of my favorite RL frags. I don't agree with some of the recent reviews in the directory so be sure to read all the reviews for this fragrance.

Azzaro Visit or D'Orsay Nomade ... they're both kind of half-way between the fresh scents your BF enjoys and the Creed BdP that you like and are very good scents in their own right.
    ..."net", not "naut".

Overcome By Fumes

Caron L'Anarchiste

Ultramodern yet classy. Linear and uncomplicated, yet deep enough to make an impact.