Code of Conduct

Default Melbourne Basenoters - Niche Sale * *THE END

Well, the niche shop called DNA located in the old GPO (corner of Elizabeth & Bourke Sts) is closing down. A large number of their niche scents are at half price - MPG, Artisan, Etro, Miller Harris *etc - all the ones that have a red dot against their description labels. The SMN and Acqua di Parma stuff is still only 30% off, some of the latter you can get as cheap in Myers.

Stocks are disappearing rapidly. If you ever wanted to test and maybe buy some of the niche scents often mentioned here at affordable prices - cheaper than in London or Paris - I'd suggest now is the time.
    Renato

Default Re: Melbourne Basenoters - Niche Sale

Why is there never such a sale here in Belgium :-[

Quote Originally Posted by apekrul
    Why is there never such a sale here in Belgium *:-[
    Don't feel too bad, there's never been one here before either - I guess we're just lucky.

I bought a bottle of MPG Amber Precieux for me, and one of Artisan Vanilla for my ladyfriend.

I even tried Miller's Tangerine Vert that we were discussing here the other day - pretty good, longer lasting than most Verts discussed here, but still not long lasting enough for me.

I'm uhhmming and ahhing as to whether I should round off my vetiver collection with Etro Vetiver, as they still had plenty of bottles of that left.
    Renato

That would be a pretty expensive shoppingspree of you had to pay full price

What are the regular prices over there?

That would be a pretty expensive shoppingspree of you had to pay full price *

What are the regular prices over there?
    The men's MPG and Santa Maria Novella's regular prices are A$155 (US$112, 93Euros) per 100ml bottle.
    The Artisan's regular price is A$135 (US$105, 81 Euros) per 100ml bottle.
    Etro's regular price is A$125 (US$90, 75 Euros) per 100 ml bottle.
    The really expensive one which the store stopped carrying was Lorenzo Villoresi at A$280 (US$202, 168 Euros)

I remember that Artisan scents only cost about 61 Euros in Paris, and Lorenzo Villoresi ones were about 100 Euros in Italy, so that my half price deal on our more expensive prices isn't as good as it may initially seem to you with lower domestic prices.
    Renato

MPG's for 46€ a bottle?! Wow!! :'(

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow
    MPG's for 46€ a bottle?! Wow!! :'(

Shall we move to Australia?? Just like Kentsu and Sauli! ;D ;D ---> :-[

168€ for a Villoresi

Here in Belgium it's 100€ for a 100ml bottle and when you buy it from Lorenzo himself (I paid him a visit in his atelier in Firenze last summer) it's 85€.

Are you sure l'Artisan is 61€ in Paris? The official website mentions 75€ for a 100ml bottle, which is the same as here in Belgium

MPG's for 46€ a bottle?! Wow!! * *:'(

I take it that's a pretty good price in your part of the world.
    How much does it cost where you live?

I am a bargain hunter - should I be considering buying more than the two bottles I got?
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    Well, the niche shop called DNA located in the old GPO (corner of Elizabeth & Bourke Sts) is closing down . . .

Renato

[blue]Renato,

What does this say about the health of the niche market in Melbourne. It's interesting to me that a city of around 3.5 million can't sustain the one store dedicated solely to niche fragrances. What are your thoughts on this?

scentemental[/blue]

Pretty good? No!

That's just phenomenal price, 85€ is the price of MPG's here in Europe. Also, that's the first time I see or hear any discount of this remarkable house, let alone 50%! Considering you enjoy masculine scents, and appreciate good longevity in fragrance, I would recommend looking into Racine, Secret Melange and Centaure. It took me some time to appreciate some frags of this line, so don't judge them after first testing. Only one I didn't like was Parfum d'Habit.

Do you take orders Renato? With shipping included, a bottle of Route Du Vetiver would still be cheaper than in the store around the corner

168€ for a Villoresi *

Here in Belgium it's 100€ for a 100ml bottle and when you buy it from Lorenzo himself (I paid him a visit in his atelier in Firenze last summer) it's 85€.

Are you sure l'Artisan is 61€ in Paris? The official website mentions 75€ for a 100ml bottle, which is the same as here in Belgium *
    Yes, the Villoresi is ridiculously expensive here.

I think you're right about the Artisan prices - I checked my credit card records and I spent 86 Euros in that shop, but I think we bought some other little item as well as the Amber Extreme. I recollect the Extreme scents were all dearer than the standard ones.

I also recollect that the Nicolai scents in their boutique were a bit cheaper than the Artisan ones, and I bought her one on sale for around 25 Euros.
    Renato

Do you take orders Renato? With shipping included, a bottle of Route Du Vetiver would still be cheaper than in the store around the corner *
    Sadly - as I'm a collector of vetivers - they don't sell (hence I've never smelled) Route du Vetiver.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental
    [quote author=Renato link=1142826404/0#0 date=1142826404]Well, the niche shop called DNA located in the old GPO (corner of Elizabeth & Bourke Sts) is closing down . . .

Renato

[blue]Renato,

What does this say about the health of the niche market in Melbourne. It's interesting to me that a city of around 3.5 million can't sustain the one store dedicated solely to niche fragrances. What are your thoughts on this?

scentemental[/blue]

[/quote]
    There is another niche shop with some of the same scents, as well as Fredrick Malle ones, and I think that's still going.
    Most of the scents in the DNA store had previously been available in the men's clothing store that owned the shop, and many still will be. They opened the shop in a newly opened high end area - not in the usual high end street of town - and apparently the new area hasn't had the traffic that was expected. A lot of people didn't know it was there.

I'd say that niche is still very niche down here, whereas niche scents are a lot more widespread in the three European countries I visited last year.
    Renato

Pretty good? No!

That's just phenomenal price, 85€ is the price of MPG's here in Europe. Also, that's the first time I see or hear any discount of this remarkable house, let alone 50%! Considering you enjoy masculine scents, and appreciate good longevity in fragrance, I would recommend looking into Racine, Secret Melange and Centaure. It took me some time to appreciate some frags of this line, so don't judge them after first testing. Only one I didn't like was Parfum d'Habit. *
    Thanks for the price info. I tried Parfum D'Habit again today, and I still didn't warm to it. Racine which I liked last week, I wasn't too taken with today. Secret Melange I had difficulty forming an opinion on. I shall check them out again tomorrow, when I've got less scents on my arm.
    Renato

[quote author=scentemental link=1142826404/0#9 date=1142868203][quote author=Renato link=1142826404/0#0 date=1142826404]Well, the niche shop called DNA located in the old GPO (corner of Elizabeth & Bourke Sts) is closing down . . .

Renato

[blue]Renato,

scentemental[/blue]

[/quote]
    There is another niche shop with some of the same scents, as well as Fredrick Malle ones, and I think that's still going.
    Most of the scents in the DNA store had previously been available in the men's clothing store that owned the shop, and many still will be. They opened the shop in a newly opened high end area - not in the usual high end street of town - and apparently the new area hasn't had the traffic that was expected. A lot of people didn't know it was there.

I'd say that niche is still very niche down here, whereas niche scents are a lot more widespread in the three European countries I visited last year.
    Renato[/quote]

[blue]Hey, thanks Renato.

When I visited Melbourne last year, I began to get a sense, as you suggest, that niche fragrances were available here and there, in the niches, so to speak, if one looked for them. I am happy to hear you confirm that.

For you and our other Melbourne Basenoters, are you aware of a small store on Brunswick street that sells niche? I forget the name.

scentemental[/blue]

[quote author=Renato link=1142826404/0#14 date=1142870788][quote author=scentemental link=1142826404/0#9 date=1142868203][quote author=Renato link=1142826404/0#0 date=1142826404]Well, the niche shop called DNA located in the old GPO (corner of Elizabeth & Bourke Sts) is closing down . . .

Renato

[blue]Renato,

scentemental[/blue]

[/quote]

Renato[/quote]

[blue]Hey, thanks Renato.

When I visited Melbourne last year, I began to get a sense, as you suggest, that niche fragrances were available here and there, in the niches, so to speak, if one looked for them. I am happy to hear you confirm that.

For you and our other Melbourne Basenoters, are you aware of a small store on Brunswick street that sells niche? I forget the name.

scentemental[/blue]

[/quote]
    Sarjeet is the expert on where these places are - he's mentioned several of them that I haven't visited as yet.
    Renato

Even though I live in the West, since it is all so cheap I decided to order Santal Noble, Ambre Précieux and Parfum d'Habit based on reviews here.
    Can anyone give me an idea what i'm in for?

Regards

Renato,

Are the Creeds on sale?

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Quote Originally Posted by Ged
    Renato,

Are the Creeds on sale?

Ged
    I asked and no they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake_Eater
    Even though I live in the West, since it is all so cheap I decided to order Santal Noble, Ambre Précieux and Parfum d'Habit based on reviews here.
    Can anyone give me an idea what i'm in for?

Regards
    I think the descriptions given on this thread about these three have been wildly accurate! I'm not a fan (yet) of Parfum D'Habit - but I've never been a big fan of leathery chypres - still I can appreciate its classiness.

However, there is something you may want to know. For the last few days, I've sprayed Ambre Précieux on my wrist when I walked past that shop. And all day long I kept thinking how great it was. So I bought it yesterday and tried it last night. *I was very puzzled - it didn't smell the same as what I tested in the shop. I got a sample vial of it out, and it was the same as that in my bottle.

I took it back today to do the comparison in-store. I'd sprayed it one one arm before getting there, and sprayed the store tester on the other arm when I got there. I explained my problem to one of the girls, she smelled both and was puzzled too. She called the other girl over and asked her to smell my arm with my scent on it. She immediately picked it as Ambre Précieux. Then she smelled my other arm with the store scent on it, and was puzzled as well - she thought it different too.

She thought about it for a minute and said "You know what I think? ....... *The one you bought smells fresher than the one in the tester that has been sitting there for months."

So be prepared. You're Ambre Précieux will get better with age!
    Renato

Today's MPG purchases - Iris Bleu Gris & Racine for me, and Rose Muskissime for my ladyfriend.

Today's other purchases
    Eau de Hadrian (Masculine) 100ml *A$30 (US$22)
    Eau de Hadrian (Feminine) three quarters of a bottle A$20 (US$15)
    Sables *100ml A$30 (US$22)

The last three seemed like a pretty good deal - I got the last bottles in the store.

I was intrigued by Etro's Anise scent while I was there, but passed on it. Carthusia Uomo seemed similar to one of my designer scents so I passed on that as well. I noticed the Etro Vetiver was a cologne rather than EDT, so passed on that too.
    Renato

I noticed the Etro Vetiver was a cologne rather than EDT, so passed on that too.
    From what I remember, it's pretty potent though. And if I remember correctly, Messe de Minuit is also an EDC; but it's pretty lasting stuff on my skin & clothes.

[quote author=Renato link=1142826404/15#22 date=1142928712]I noticed the Etro Vetiver was a cologne rather than EDT, so passed on that too.
    From what I remember, it's pretty potent though. And if I remember correctly, Messe de Minuit is also an EDC; but it's pretty lasting stuff on my skin & clothes.[/quote]
    Thanks. I did test them a while back. The vetiver was relatively long lasting - but not as long as some of my other one's - I did like it's roughness though - ultra masculine. Oh well, I can decide tomorrow whether I want it.
    The Messe de Minuit wasn't that long lasting on me.
    Renato

[quote author=Renato link=1142826404/15#22 date=1142928712]I noticed the Etro Vetiver was a cologne rather than EDT, so passed on that too.
    From what I remember, it's pretty potent though. And if I remember correctly, Messe de Minuit is also an EDC; but it's pretty lasting stuff on my skin & clothes.[/quote]
    I took your thoughts into account, and bought the Etro Vetiver.
    Renato

You just keep spending it seems

You just keep spending it seems *
    The price was A$62.5 (37 Euro) for a 100ml bottle. I figured that was cheaper than most of the designer scents I saw over there last year.

I tested the Messe de Minuit again today, seems to have more staying power than I remembered. The Etro Amber seemed pretty interesting too.

The interesting thing about this sale was which scents disappeared first. The sale started Monday, and by lunchtime all the Annick Goutal boxed stuff had gone, as had pretty near all the 100ml bottles of Dipytique stuff (with the exception of one bottle of Tam Dao).

Today (Wednesday) there was still plenty of Etro, MPG, Aqua de Parma, Millar Harris, SMN and Artisan scents there, as well as Carthusia and others I've never heard of here.
    Renato

I wish I hadn't bought the bottle of Etro Vetiver yesterday, at the full half-price, because today I picked up a nearly full Etro Vetiver tester bottle for A$20. Plus some Etro bottles of Shal-nur, Lemon Sorbet and Anice. Total Cost = A$105 (US$76, 63 Euro)

I haven't had this much fun fragrance shopping in ages.
    Renato

Would be great to hear from you after this madness is over! The list of everything you bought, how much did they cost, and most importantly, how do you like the fragrances you bought.

Would be great to hear from you after this madness is over! The list of everything you bought, how much did they cost, and most importantly, how do you like the fragrances you bought.
    I've already lost count of how much I spent for me and my ladyfriend since last Friday.
    The sale ends Sunday, but tomorrow is the last day I'm in the city and can drop into the shop.

We're currently having the Commonwealth Games being run in Melbourne. I feel like I've been in the scent purchasing sprint.

The current tally is 11 new niche scents for me, and 8 new ones for my ladyfriend (though a couple of mine may yet go to her).
    Renato

Thanks Renato,
    I was going to ask you if the store will be opened on Saturday while I was reading, but you have answered in your last post. So it looks like I can buy some frags on Saturday and still go fishing on Sunday! ;D
    Do they sell Creeds?
    Cheers mate,
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Thanks Renato,
    I was going to ask you if the store will be opened on Saturday while I was reading, but you have answered in your last post. So it looks like I can buy some frags on Saturday and still go fishing on Sunday! ;D
    Do they sell Creeds?
    Cheers mate,
    Alex
    Hi Alex,
    No the Creeds weren't included in the sale. Unfortunately, half the store is empty now. But they still have left a lot of Santa Maria Novella stuff (it's all Eau de Colognes in splash bottles), quite a few Men's MPG ones (certainly worth checking out), quite a *few Etros (EDT and EDC, but many of them are "doppobarba" which means aftershave), some Miller Harris, the L.T.Piver ones, several Artisans.

As they finish selling off a scent, they put the testers to the side at the back of *the counter. Ask the girls about the 100ml testers. Full one's go for $30. Somewhat used ones go for $20, those with about a third of a bottle can go for $5 (that's how much my Shaal Nur cost me).

If you want GIT - the cheapest place I know is $140 for a 125ml bottle at www.shoppersdirect.com.au

Was there anything you were after in particular - or were you just on the lookout for a bargain?

Renato

Default Re: Melbourne Basenoters - Niche Sale * *END

I went by that store yet again today and bought a few cheapie 100 ml bottles.
    Acqua de Parma Lavanda Tonica A$30 (US$22, 18 Euro)
    Acqua de Parma Profumo A$30 - for my ladyfriend
    Etro Etra A$30
    Un Parfum D'Adventure A$77

And that's it.
    I thanked the girls for their excellent service.
    I won't be going back there anymore, as the shop closes on Sunday, and the next two days are beach days.
    Renato

Hi Renato,
    Nothing in particular really, just wanted to try some L'Artisan (or what is left). Going there tomorrow (Saturday). Unfortunately, no fishing in the bay (too windy).
    Enjoy your purchases and, again, thanks for the tip.
    Cheers
    Alex

Default Re: Melbourne Basenoters - Niche Sale * *

Hi Renato,
    Nothing in particular really, just wanted to try some L'Artisan (or what is left). Going there tomorrow (Saturday). Unfortunately, no fishing in the bay (too windy).
    Enjoy your purchases and, again, thanks for the tip.
    Cheers
    Alex
    You'll be disappointed only three types of Artisan are left - Eau de Artisan, Vanilla and some other women's one.
    Still, plenty of Santa Maria Novella, Etros, MPGs, LT. Piver, Miller Harris left for you to sniff.
    I suspect they'll be putting out more specials (like today's Acqua de Parma) and cutting prices even further as the end approaches.
    Renato

Default Re: Melbourne Basenoters - Niche Sale * *THE END

AdP Profumo for 18EUR! I guess you have no idea how amazing prize that is? Tell your ladyfriend that it's retail prize in Europe is 128,50EUR!

Default Re: Melbourne Basenoters - Niche Sale * *THE END

AdP Profumo for 18EUR! I guess you have no idea how amazing prize that is? Tell your ladyfriend that it's retail prize in Europe is 128,50EUR! *

Thanks, but I should have explained more clearly - they were unused testers rather than the ones in the nice yellow box.

I thought I only paid around 70 or 80 Euros for a big bottle Colonia Assolutta in Italy last year. Would it cost more than that in other parts of Europe, or is Profumo just dearer than Colonia Assoluta?
    Renato

Hi Renato,
    I made it on Sunday. It took me a while to find a shop though. Well, what can I say... I am a family man so cannot spend too much. But I treated myself with a full bottle (tester) of MPG Parfum d'Habit for 30 AUD. Amazing scent! The best I have ever owned.
    And a big thank you to you Renato for not keping this sale to yourself and sharing it with us.
    Cheers mate
    Alex

Hi Renato,
    I made it on Sunday. It took me a while to find a shop though. Well, what can I say... I am a family man so cannot spend too much. But I treated myself with a full bottle (tester) of MPG Parfum d'Habit for 30 AUD. Amazing scent! The best I have ever owned.
    And a big thank you to you Renato for not keping this sale to yourself and sharing it with us.
    Cheers mate
    Alex
    Well done Alex.
    I think that A$30 (18 Euros) for a bottle of MPG probably qualifies you as getting the best buy for an MPG on the planet.
    Renato

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why did I have to find this thread now......... why did I only happen to chance upon the DNA Body Boutique once when in Melbourne this summer past............ why have I only ever been the one time to Melbourne.............. and why the hell do I live in Sydney??????

Yes, niche stores do not exist in Sydney. Why am I so lucked out?

Renato, you are soooooooooooo goddamn lucky! Congrats to you on finding and making this once in an australian lifetime, haul.
    If only I had known................

[blue]Renato,

scentemental[/blue]
    Sydney with a population of 6 million doesn't have a single niche fragrance shop : Then again, Sydney is alot less fashionable/cosmopolitan.

It's not sustainable because the prices here are ridiculously exhorbitant and grossly over priced. Melbourne did have 3 niche frag stores I think- DNA in the GPO, Paint 'N Powder in the Royal Arcade, and Klein's Perfumery somewhere in the inner 'burbs.

Well, elysium, you are not alone in your suffering... :-/

Quote Originally Posted by elysium
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why did I have to find this thread now......... why did I only happen to chance upon the DNA Body Boutique once when in Melbourne this summer past............ why have I only ever been the one time to Melbourne.............. and why the hell do I live in Sydney??????

Yes, niche stores do not exist in Sydney. Why am I so lucked out?

Renato, you are soooooooooooo goddamn lucky! Congrats to you on finding and making this once in an australian lifetime, haul.

[quote author=scentemental link=1142826404/0#9 date=1142868203]
    [blue]Renato,

scentemental[/blue]
    Sydney with a population of 6 million doesn't have a single niche fragrance shop : Then again, Sydney is alot less fashionable/cosmopolitan.

It's not sustainable because the prices here are ridiculously exhorbitant and grossly over priced. Melbourne did have 3 niche frag stores I think- DNA in the GPO, Paint 'N Powder in the Royal Arcade, and Klein's Perfumery somewhere in the inner 'burbs.
    [/quote]

Don't you also have a Harrold's store in Sydney selling niche?
    I think you also have a L'Occitane store (not really a favourite house of mine).

Six million in Sydney?! I thought it was closer to 4.5M... but I will stand corrected...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, niche stores do not exist in Sydney. *Why am I so lucked out?

Renato, you are soooooooooooo goddamn lucky! *Congrats to you on finding and making this once in an australian lifetime, haul. *

[quote author=scentemental link=1142826404/0#9 date=1142868203]
    [blue]Renato,

scentemental[/blue]
    Sydney with a population of 6 million doesn't have a single niche fragrance shop *: *Then again, Sydney is alot less fashionable/cosmopolitan.

It's not sustainable because the prices here are ridiculously exhorbitant and grossly * over priced. *Melbourne did have 3 niche frag stores I think- DNA in the GPO, Paint 'N Powder in the Royal Arcade, and Klein's Perfumery somewhere in the inner 'burbs. *
    [/quote]
    It's a damned shame that you missed this thread when the sale I was going on, because they were taking phone orders - our friend in the west got quite a few.

I consider myself ultra fortunate - as I hadn't been to that shop for nearly a year, and had just come back from 10 weeks vacation, and I only went there because of some thread here about Creed that I wanted to check out (I wanted to see if Himalaya really was as close to XS as some people were saying).

When I first raised the question of niche scents here some two years ago, I didn't think there were any niche shops in Melbourne. But fortunately, thanks to some really savvy Melbourne and Adelaide Basenoters, they told me the place had quite a few of them.

As the weeks have elapsed and I've been testing out my haul, the question arises as to which ones I wished I'd bought more of given that opportunity and low price. The odd thing is that the two scents I'd previously dismissed in that shop - L.T.Piver's Cuir De Russie and Un Parfum D'Adventure - are the one's I wished I'd bought spare bottles of. While very happy with my MPGs, Etros, Annick Goutals and others, I've warmed to the latter two in a way I wouldn't have expected.
    Renato

I missed it all cos I'd just started a new job that very week, and was so I couldn't sit in front of a computer for more than a few minutes without .
    It's taken a month to settle :

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey

I think you also have a L'Occitane store (not really a favourite house of mine).

Six million in Sydney?! I thought it was closer to 4.5M... but I will stand corrected...
    Don't quote me on the population, 'tis only an estimate.
    I wouldn't consider L'Occitane niche, it's gone global. I've just googled Harrolds, and will check out the 2/3 stores in Sydney, though no doubt I will be expecting some funny glances :P But it stocks mostly men's lines, does it not? I'm sampling either way ;D

Does anyone know of any stores in Sydney besides DJ's/Myer who do niche?

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey
    You are much more correct. 4.5 is a far better approximation. I don't know where she pulled 6 million from :-?

I'm pretty sure Perfume Connection does niche but not too many.

I missed it all cos I'd just started a new job that very week, and was so I couldn't sit in front of a computer for more than a few minutes without . *
    It's taken a month to settle *:

[quote author=musky_monkey link=1142826404/30#42 date=1145005299]

Don't quote me on the population, 'tis only an estimate. *
    I wouldn't consider L'Occitane niche, it's gone global. *I've just googled Harrolds, and will check out the 2/3 stores in Sydney, though no doubt I will be expecting some funny glances *:P *But it stocks mostly men's lines, does it not? *I'm sampling either way ;D

[/quote]
    It might be worth checking all the Harrolds (or at least asking the store you go into which has the bigger range of scents). The one near where I work only has a small range, but the one a mile up the road had a huge range. They were the mob that set up the DNA store in Melbourne.
    Renato