Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Which Blind Buy (Price being a Factor)

I'm looking to make a blind buy, hopefully something "safe" and wearable. Price is also an issue, and I would like to purchase one of the * over a + fragrance, as indicated in the poll above. Most of my current fragrances are more for winter, and I would like a more year-round fragrance. However, the greatest deciding factor is one that I like, even if I am only able to wear it at certain times of the year. I love good longevity and sillage, and orientals, but also variety! I think all of the above are unique in their own ways, so I am having a hard time deciding which fragrance to choose. I'm only going to purchase one, so cast your votes now!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Which Blind Buy (Price being a Factor)

rive gauche ph. cool as the other side of a pillow and total sophistication. doesn't need it but layers extremely well with a bit of yatagan.
    “Perfume is decidedly not about two things: it isn’t about memory and it isn’t about sex. Perfume is about beauty and intellect,”.........“A perfume is a message in a bottle—not a smell—and the message is written by the perfumer and read by the person who smells it.”

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm gonna go with allure because it's one of my favorites.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions.

I was leaning toward Rive Gauche as well, but then I saw the other fragrances that looked promising

I'm really trying to stay away from the +. I am able to get the larger 3.4oz sizes of the * for half the cost of the 1.7oz of + :-/

More opinions please!

In my recent search for a summer fragrance I ended buying Rive Gauche..... and haven't regretted a minute, I love it. I personally don't wear too much fragrance and tend to keep them subtle clean smelling inoffensive and pleasant, Rive Gauche was the right choice. Even though summer hasn't fully started yet, I don't see it being heavy for the summer at all. They have different versions of the scent like regular, summer and intense, I'd get the regular version and if it's too hot just use less, no problem with this one at all.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

you should own egoiste also. very oriental, tons of sillage and longevity. primo.
    “Perfume is decidedly not about two things: it isn’t about memory and it isn’t about sex. Perfume is about beauty and intellect,”.........“A perfume is a message in a bottle—not a smell—and the message is written by the perfumer and read by the person who smells it.”

Personally I’d go with Rive Gauche but unfortunately you’re looking for something safe and wearable in many seasons which I don’t think RG is. I think you might want to pass on Egoiste as well. It’s only really good for evening or night wear in the summer. I find it to be a little too sweet and strong for regular summer wear.

I’d recommend either XS or Allure, both great fragrances, safe and very wearable in all seasons, especially in the summer.

Post Thanks / Like

hm, if Rive Gauche is an all around yearly scent, maybe I'll lean toward that more.

Yes, I want Egoiste as well, but I would rather go for a cheaper more casual scent at the present time. I also saw that the retailer is selling it way above the price on the Chanel website. If I do purchase Chanel scents, I think there is a Chanel boutique I can visit that is relatively close. Or maybe a different online retailer. I'm choosing a specific retailer this time for specific reasons, and I am confined to their prices.

Also, I just saw that they have the new Guess for Men. I am leaving now and don't have time to add it to the Poll, but if anyone wants to vote that, it is going to be a * fragrance!

Hey ChrisW

check out Givenchy Pour Homme (Red Bottle) and Essenza Di Zegna, I think they would be much better for summer wear. Both can be worn all day and most seasons. You should check them out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think that for the money and the use you will get out of it, Rive Gauche would be the best choice. It is good for so many times of the year and it is just too good not to own. Chanel makes expensive stuff for being designer. Egoiste and Allure are both way more than Rive Gauche and you wouldn't be able to use them as much. Opium is a sweet winter scent IMO. I would just stick with the YSL and call it a day.

Bruce^

Slightly off topic but do you guys really think RG can be worn in the summer. WOW, I find it more of a fall/winter scent, when it's cool outside. I can't imagine wearing it in the summer.

I have a sample of the new Guess for men. I wasn't too impressed by it; it smells like everything else out there and it doesn't last very long at all. It is fresh and clean, though. It would be a fine summer scent for the first hour after application.
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi
    Slightly off topic but do you guys really think RG can be worn in the summer. WOW, I find it more of a fall/winter scent, when it's cool outside. I can't imagine wearing it in the summer.
    I think it is better in the fall/winter as well but on cooler summer days and nights it can certainly be worn. It is not an oriental with that heavy base, which would otherwise make it cloying. It is light and dry so it could certainly work IMO. I don't have it with me in my summer stash but a lot of people talk about using it for warmer weather as well. Just their personal preference I gues...

Bruce^

Yeah, just what I thought. I guess you can wear it during those cool summer evenings or nights, but defiantly not a regular summer day scent. I can't see myself wearing it on a hot summer morning. I can imagine myself running to catch the bus to school on a really hot summer day. I’d walk on the bus killing everyone in sight.

Definately more wearable than Allure, Opium and the rest of the abovementioned.... well, XS might work but I don't want to confuse the guy, still think RG is better buy than the rest.

I find RG to be very clean smelling and wearable in any weather. I'm kind of surprised anyone would think it wouldn't work in Summer (different noses...).

I'm generally not a big oriental fan and RG and XS are the ones on this list that stand out to me for wearability.

--Steve

Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Tough choice. I am dying to try RG. I am quite in love lately with XS - something about it is very special. I find myself nearly craving it - fresh, garden like with a hint of rose, juniper berries, wild mint with a base of cedar wood and oak moss. Fairly sensual and light (fresh) with decent longevity and a good amount of sillage. It's one of my current faves and can be purchased at a great price for a 3.4 bottle.
    Peace ~ Markymark

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice everyone! So far Rive Gauche has a huge lead ahead of the competition. All the rest have about the same, with XS having a little of a lead. I'm not going to put Guess on there, but I think that would just distribute the votes even more without indicating the 'winner'

Post Thanks / Like

Rive Gauche still has the lead, but everything else is pretty much tied up.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, looks like I'm going to go with YSL Rive Gauche.

XS and then get Brut Classic in place of Rive Gauche since money is an issue.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

Sigh, all you basenoters made me even more indecisive! I might have to purchase two scents.... I'm leaning towards XS for a good summer and year round scent. Shame on you basenoters! ;D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicomte de K
    XS and then get Brut Classic in place of Rive Gauche since money is an issue.
    If the bottle just says Brut, does that mean it is the newer formula or the "classic." Isn't the classic no longer in production? From reviews I have read, it seems Brut is more "in your face" while Rive Gauche is more refined.

Edit: Nevermind, the bottles appear different. My questions for the scents themselves still remain. :P

Post Thanks / Like

I can't help but recommend Chanel Egoiste over any of the others that you have listed. *You have some wonderful fragrances listed in your poll, but it is my opinion that Egoiste is far and away the most beautiful. *And it is also long-lasting. *I hope you get a chance to wear it.

Post Thanks / Like

I dislike Rive Gauche, so I'd go for XS.
    To me, a lot of the others are more night time scents.

I can't fathom this love of Rive Gauche - since I'm plainly in the minority, I keep wondering what it is that I'm missing that has grabbed you all so much.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    I dislike Rive Gauche, so I'd go for XS.
    To me, a lot of the others are more night time scents.

I can't fathom this love of Rive Gauche - since I'm plainly in the minority, I keep wondering what it is that I'm missing that has grabbed you all so much.
    Renato

That is why I'm not sure about Rive Gauche. It's supposed to be very 'clean' by my interpretation of the reviews. However, I began associating 'clean' with 'boring' and RG seems to be anything but boring based on the reviews (and Indie_Guy's story).

My final decision will be made tonight, and I think that, at this time, it's going to be between Rive Gauche and XS. Both seem perfect for all around yearly casual scents. It's going to be a loooong night :P

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your votes, opinions, and advice guys! You guys are the best, and probably too knowledgable for your own good . I finally decided on YSL Rive Gauche. I hope I like it! If I don't, it'll be a huge disappointment, and I might have to reopen this vote and get another fragrance haha. I'm still looking forward to trying out, and most likely eventually owning, all the rest of the scents in my poll. The final gauntlet was between Rive Gauche and XS, but I decided to give RG a try based on all the hype. However, XS sounds like it has an amazing potential for the "next blind buy" scent; it has awesome reviews and no one seems to have anything bad to say about it! Hopefully the Rive Gauche will work for me though, but we'll see, might have to call on the contingency fragrance ;D.

Once again, much thanks for all those that contributed. I appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

xs great value, anytime of day frag imho