Code of Conduct

Default My favorite smell in the world

Yesterday I bought a new pair of Nike AirMax running shoes and I just have to know...WHAT is it about brand new tennis shoe smell that I love so much? Back when I bought CdG Skai blind, I was hoping that it would smell like that (which it didn't but I love it for the original masterpiece that it is).

Not just the shoes, but the box, the tissue paper...everything. I really wish I could bottle that smell. Well, not really because I'd probably get bored with it, then it wouldn't be so much of a sensory experience buying new shoes. But really, the best part of buying new shoes, for me, is the smell! I wonder if perhaps its an intentional fragrance that they put on their products, or if its just the combination of materials and manufacturing oils. I wouldn't be surprised if it was like some kind of "new car smell" but for shoes, that they fumigate them with.

Anybody know of any frags that smell like that?
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My favorite smell in the world

To me, it seems like you would need to find a pure leather scent. I can't think of any but that is what I usually pick up out of that fresh box of new Kicks... THere might be some suede in there as well. I'm not really sure what it is but I do agree that it is a great smell. I wouldn't want my whole body to smell like it though...

EnvYuS

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know...if they were new athletic shoes, I don't see it being leather. They are mostly made of synthetics. I haven't closely paid attention to the smell of new athletic shoes lately...but maybe something from CdG would be close? They have synthetic/new plastic smell to me. Could be like shoes.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I think Bvlgari Black is really close to the smell of a foot locker, I'm not sure if it's all the smell of the shoes or if they have a store scent that mixes with the rubber.
    Top Five: Oud Wood, Aventus, Kyoto, Rose 31, Tam Dao

Gaultier2

Anything from CdG Synthetic series, maybe, until I think of something better. You're right about the smell of new sneakers, I think it is mostl from the pvc mixed with wrapping paper, rubber, skai...

Hey!!!

Your prayers may just have been answered, the biggest fragrance making industry IFF have developed a smell of new sneakers,
    you can read more about it here:

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...g/14271720.htm

and here also

http://www.iff.com/Internet.nsf/0/0F...25714000529AA2

I so hear you Indie about the smell of new sneakers. It may be all the glue too. It's as good as smelling a new freshly ground bag of coffee. Ahhh...
    Peace ~ Markymark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markymark
    *It's as good as smelling a new freshly ground bag of coffee. *
    oh man don't get me started on freshly ground coffee so unbelievably delicious

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They spray cars with "new car smell" to help market them; there are special scents they use on new leather jackets (different ones for luxury jackets and motorcycle jackets). It's a quiet branch of the fragrance industry, and has become an indispensable*part of product identity/packaging/marketing. I'll bet there's a "new athletic shoe" smell out there that some industry gnomes developed just to get us to love buying new shoes!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

— Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    [quote author=Markymark link=1144899388/0#7 date=1144948270]*It's as good as smelling a new freshly ground bag of coffee. *
    oh man don't get me started on freshly ground coffee so unbelievably delicious[/quote]

I know one ladies scent NOa by Cacharel, white florals enveloping a freshly roasted coffee bean, yum
    I know that there are some male scents featuring the same note but can't remeber which?

I loooove freshly ground coffee smell....

mimeograph ink

(You have to be of a certain age to remember it...)

Griff
    Griff

Well, I am not certain how one can be a fragrance afficianado and have a "favorite" smell - there are so many, how could I choose one over another. But, along the lines of the present discussion, I love the smell of musty old books - a smell which is approximated by Messe de Minuit.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

There's something out there that smells like fresh linen.I read in a review awhile back and I think its gendarme. And I may be wrong its been awhile.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    mimeograph ink

Griff

By golly Uncle Griff I havn't thought of that smell in ages. We used to covet that smell every time the instructor in grade school would hand out new papers hot or shall I say cool off the presses. We would hold them up to our noses and take it all in.
    One of my other favorite smells in the whole world was the verdant wet spicy otherworldly smell of the jungle in the Phillipines. I suppose the PC crowd call it the rain forest or some other sanitized word now.

Rick
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

jungle in the Phillipines. *I suppose the PC crowd call it the rain forest or some other sanitized word now.
    How is "rain forest" a "sanitized" word? Or, were you just reaching for an opportunity to display your dyspepsia? The terms have slightly different meanings; while all jungles are rain forests not all rain forests are jungles. And, what did this have to do with fragrance anyway?
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Quote Originally Posted by docpsycho
    [quote author=Griff link=1144899388/0#11 date=1144959267]mimeograph ink

Griff

By golly Uncle Griff I havn't thought of that smell in ages. We used to covet that smell every time the instructor in grade school would hand out new papers hot or shall I say cool off the presses. We would hold them up to our noses and take it all in.
    One of my other favorite smells in the whole world was the verdant wet spicy otherworldly smell of the jungle in the Phillipines. I suppose the PC crowd call it the rain forest or some other sanitized word now.

Rick[/quote]

Hi Rick (you old dyspepsic, you...)

If they could only bottle it in a cologne, I could layer it with the pencil shavings of Gucci PH and conjure up the entire 8 years of my elementary education in one fantastic whiff.

Griff
    Griff

I so much hope there was a scent that resembles the smell of toasted rye-bread.

And smell of fresh, baked cinnamon buns... [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Concrete and that chalky cellar smell makes me want to cry and lick the walls. (and I am not pregnant, itīs always been like that)
    I donīt think I would like to smell of it, though. New car, bicycle store and sports shoe department have a lot in common, and I love that smell too. I guess rubber has more wearable good smell qualities than concrete, since itīs actually listed as a note in fragrances.

Any furniture made of pine that hasn't been treated with something that suffocates its smell does it for me.
    I love pine wood.
    I don't like many pine colognes, mind, but I love the smell of the wood itself.

When I was in elementary school we built our own yo-yos out of little circular blocks of pine. I kept on sniffing mine while my friends were figuring out how to walk them.

Anyway, I'm not sure what gives new tennis shoes their smell. I don't care very much for new-shoe-smell, so I haven't ever really thought of it.
    It might just be the smell of the rubber before it has had a chance to be dirtied by the environment. A lot of new rubber stuff smells very strongly when you first open it. My parents just got a new plunger that smelled remarkably like new shoes when it was first opened.

Oh, and to dcampen:
    Rainforest is, in fact, considered to be the politically correct term for what we're used to calling 'jungles.'
    I'm not sure why there is anything wrong with 'jungle,' but there apparently is something.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, too bad your not into urinal cakes, then I would know where to point you.

I also like the smell of new athletic shoes and their packing contents. To add one more the pro shop I used to buy my hockey equipment from shared the building with a hardware store. You walked in on the hardware side smelling that smell we all associate hardware smells with and then as you enter the pro shop you pick up the smell of leather and such that the hockey equipment was made of.

I'm guessing it's a combination of the glues and foams used, along with the leather, etc.

One of the best smells I've ever come across is the smell of the glue they use to make Carvin guitar cases. I just felt weird sniffing my case, especially when I found out it was the glue used that smelled so damn good :bounce:
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I think it's an added scent, as in new cars. and related to the smell of shoe polish.

Post Thanks / Like

have you tried Eau de Paco Rabbane? i smells exactly tht way...

2yo thread bump...

BUT, since we're on the subject now... my wife has a thing for the smell of plastic shower curtains.

I can identify with almost all the fave scents that were mentioned here lol.

My favorite scent MEMORY has got to be the smell of warm skin fresh from a luke-warm clear ocean beach in the Philippines, mingling with dusty sand and scents of coconut and fruits. Now, I don't think I would ever want that in a fragrance, it would feel artificial... I dunno I'm still grappling with the scents I like to smell on others, smells in a certain context and personal perfume smells on me for daily/nightly/special occasions.

Basically I miss humid, nature-clean (non-city-polluted) environments are like in terms of olifactory experiences. I remember being shocked at how the humidity carried scents and odors so well, my parent's Yling Ylang bath soaps felt like they stayed on the skin as long as an EDT, the smell of ozone after lighting storms was that much more invigorating and food smelled twice as delicious.
    Immediate Wishlist: CDG Palisander/Avignon

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the day of cassette cases, the smell of a freshly opened one was intoxicating...new CD cases have a similar smell...the interior paper covers, all of it!

And to quote Bono "the top of a newborn baby's head..."
    Last edited by ChuckW; 25th September 2008 at 05:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought that Hilfiger's "True Star" was very close to the smell of new clothing in a department store.
    "Flagrantly fragrant and they can't escape me. My perfume pursued them everywhere that they went.
    You don't want a loan, leave my cologne alone. It's a little too strong for you to be putting on".
    - Lupe Fiasco

Extreme Limite Sport to me has that vibe of smelling like fresh running shoes.

Post Thanks / Like

Anything smell like brand new foam rubber? And did everyone walk back to there desk from the pencil sharpener smelling their pencil tip or just me?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Anything smell like brand new foam rubber? And did everyone walk back to there desk from the pencil sharpener smelling their pencil tip or just me?
    I also used to smell my pencil tip after sharpening it. Heh, I forgot about that until you mentioned it. What a strange thing to do, did all kids do this?

I love putting my nose to the pages of an old book and breathing in its scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Citrus, high quality bar soap, unsmoked expnesive tobacco, tea, coffee, dark chcolate, vintage&collectible wines, lavender- under any form, aloe vera, unpolluted air early in the morning or late at night, fresh laundry washed only instants before, Mediterranean herbs, cedarwood

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    I also used to smell my pencil tip after sharpening it. Heh, I forgot about that until you mentioned it. What a strange thing to do, did all kids do this?

I love putting my nose to the pages of an old book and breathing in its scent.
    Chene smells like pencils.