Code of Conduct

Thread: Terre D'Hermes

Default Terre D'Hermes

I love this scent and had to order the large size and deodorant stick instantly! The herbal, inscense spices on an amber woody accord it totally breath taking. So, I am on board with those who love it! I loved the un jardin en meditereanee and hated the sur le nil but the TDH is totally awesome! I will be wearing this juice very often and migh come close to a signature! This is the first scent with benzoin or anything related to vanilla that I love. You cannot even detect it because it is in harmony with the whole blend! Another great, great winner for JC Ellena! Hooorah!

Default Re: Terre D'Hermes

I couldn't agree more, totaly addicted to this one.

Love this one too!

Have been wearing this every day, this week and I love it too.
    this fragrance is a combination of two familliar fragrances to me . The drydown reminds me a less smokier Declaration, but the first part of it, the orangy, grapefruit , it reminds me of something, but I can't come up with the name! Have been breaking my head over this all week.

the smell is good, I have my doubts concerning longevity, as usual with Hermes colognes.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I finally got to test this out last weekend while shopping at the mall and by the end of my shopping trip I had to march right back to the counter to buy this. I really don't understand the harsh criticism many have had of this. There is nothing in the actual juice itself to justify the anger. Its very pleasant. It really the ONLY Hermes sent that I stays balanced on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trasker
    I finally got to test this out last weekend while shopping at the mall and by the end of my shopping trip I had to march right back to the counter to buy this. I really don't understand the harsh criticism many have had of this. There is nothing in the actual juice itself to justify the anger. Its very pleasant. It really the ONLY Hermes sent that I stays balanced on me.

[blue]Trasker,

I was talking to a sales assistant at the local Neiman Marcus the other day, and it seems many people have had the same experience as you. He me told that almost every single person who has tried Terre d'Hermès, including women, have ended up purchasing a bottle. He said he can't remember the last time that happened with a new release. From all accounts, it looks like Hermès has a winner on its hands.

I like this fragrance a lot; it's an extraordinarily pleasant, unassuming, deftly balanced, and very verstatile fragrance. It has a interesting subtle evolution over many hours, a real credit to its artistry. Moreover, I have already received numerous compliments on it (from both men and women) and from my wife, who has a pretty infallible sense of things when it comes to fragrances; she likes this one a lot. She noticed it on me the other day after about 8 hours of wearing.

Regards,

scentemental[/blue]

Why So Serious?

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental
    [blue]
    I like this fragrance a lot; it's an extraordinarily pleasant, unassuming, deftly balanced, and very verstatile fragrance. It has a interesting subtle evolution over many hours, a real credit to its artistry.[/blue]

Couldn't have said it better myself, that's the overall effect i'm getting. *I'm a huge fan of this fragrance. *It is beautiful in a quiet way, i find it psychologically enhancing with it carrying me throughout the day, and yes it draws attentions from arrays of the population. *I'm glad you like the Terre ikki, hope you're getting the Gucci PH as well. *
    [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Creed Spice & Wood
    5. Bond 9 Harrods Oud

Quote Originally Posted by Trasker
    I finally got to test this out last weekend while shopping at the mall and by the end of my shopping trip I had to march right back to the counter to buy this...
    As did I! I also agree with scentemental's characterization of this scent. It is deftly balanced, both in terms of accord and the extent to which it asserts its masculinity. It does not shout, "I'm masculine!" In that respect it is similar to another recent release, Idole de Lubin, another winner in my book. The most prominent notes to my nose in Terre d'Hermes are grapefruit and cedar. The matching shower gel is also very nice. My experience with Terre d'Hermes has caused me to wear both Un Jardin sur le Nil and Un Jardin en Méditerranée each of the last two days. There is a common "feel" between these three, even if they do smell clearly distinct.

Jeff

Okay, just to add some "balance" to this thread, I have to chime in with my personal experience. I received my sample from Hermes and tried it out. I am definitely not one of those who tried it and had to go buy a bottle. In fact, I'm a little surprised at what all the fuss is about, either positive or negative. It's not that it's terrible, it's just nothing special IMO. I get all grapefruit at first, then a little sweetness and roundness, but that sweetness has a waxy, plastic feel to it - very "cheap" to my nose. Throughout its lifespan it smells something like dishwashing detergent on me.

And to my nose, it does not develop much at all...I get two stages: briefly it's a sharp citrus scent, then the rest of the way it's a smooth, waxy citrus scent. I never got the feel of stones or minerals or earth...just an opaque waxy citrus - maybe like wearing a scented plastic grapefruit or dishwashing detergent, or some cross of those two. The only positive thing I could say about it was that it lasted a long time for a citrus scent.

There are many other citrus scents I'd rather wear or own. Of course, no offense to anyone who had a different experience...I just don't see the appeal based on my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    the smell is good, I have my doubts concerning longevity, as usual with Hermes colognes.
    I sprayed one shot to the arm at the mall, still could smell it over 8 hours later.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I have to agree with Scentemental on this...I really do like it. The drydown is fascinating to me. Thumbs up.

Regards,
    Steve

[blue]First of all, I'd liked to say that I'm very glad to be in such distinguised company with this one.[/blue] ;D

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    . . . I'm a little surprised at what all the fuss is about, either positive or negative. It's not that it's terrible, it's just nothing special IMO . . . There are many other citrus scents I'd rather wear or own. Of course, no offense to anyone who had a different experience...I just don't see the appeal based on my experience.

[blue]robyogi,

Absolutely no offence taken my friend because it’s very clear from your post that what you are describing is a personal reaction to the fragrance. You are objectively aware of that and you make that very clear. I don’t see where any offence could be taken.

I would, however, ask you to reconsider the word “fuss”. Given the recent controversy over *Terre d’ Hermès * in which, according to one view, its release was a monumental catastrophe of biblical proportions for Hermès and the world of perfumery, I think that, in most cases, the positive response to this fragrance has been quite measured, understated, and calm. The fragrance itself seems to illicit such responses. It’s not an earth-shattering release, but then if we take everybody’s response into account, which release every really is. On a more philosophical note, I think its always important to find the appropriate response to the intrinsic qualities of a fragrance as objectively as one can while being up front about one’s subjective responses. This is not always an easy task, and I am certainly not claiming that I’ve regularly or even ever been successful along these lines.

I tend to imagine *Terre d’Hermes* as a deftly executed water color painting. It’s no use bemoaning the fact, as some have done, that it’s not an oil painting, when it was never intended as such. Even less use to claim that all we should have is more oil paintings. I think when reviewing, consciousness of genre is important. I think for the most part, most of us who have liked *Terre d’Hermès* have instinctively remained aware of the gentle, unobtrusive nature of its genre and its artistic execution.

Respectfully,

scentemental[/blue]

I also have to add that I love the bottle. The twisty cap thing is very cool.

Regards,
    Steve

From www.forbes.com

Master perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena is the genie in every bottle of Terre d'Hermès.

What can you smell, right now, reading this? Glossy paper, printer’s ink, steaming coffee, the starch of your shirt? Perhaps you can distinguish specific molecules, such as muscone (often used in laundry detergent) or vanillin (in that double latte). For perfumers, fragrance molecules are basic components they can manipulate to make new smells. Some toil in the trenches of industry, seeking ways to make hand soap or air fresheners more appealing. Others--an exclusive club, known as “noses”--occupy the rarefied world of haute perfumery.

Jean-Claude Ellena, the nose of Hermès, is more than just sensitive to smell--he carries a library of odors in his head. He longs for the day when, like his literary hero, Jean Giono, he can compile a catalog of the world; which, in Ellena’s case, means all the smells he’s encountered, growing up in Grasse as the son of a perfumer, then as a distiller and finally as a créateur (of Van Cleef & Arpels’s First, in 1976, and Bulgari’s Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert, in 1993, among others). When he made First, he had on hand some 1,200 bottles of matières premières--pure distillations, the raw materials of a perfumer’s trade--and his mental catalog includes many more. But he’s an editor, too, with a lifelong urge to simplify. These days, his lab for Hermès is a glass-and-stone house just outside Grasse: In the back room, on a plain kitchen table, sit two small carousels holding fewer than 200 bottled distillations. And while First was a complex formula, with more than 160 ingredients, his latest creation--a men’s fragrance, Terre d’Hermès--has less than 30.

Ideas for fragrances strike Ellena like proverbial lightning bolts--or they ferment, their recipes jotted down and left to steep in palm-sized leather notebooks. His desk is strewn with tiny bottles of past, present and future formulas in various stages of development. Some of his favorite work has been the creation of Hermessence, a group of “olfactory poems” such as Poivre Samarcande (inspired by an old oak on Ellena’s property that had to be felled) and Ambre Narguilé (the evocation of an oriental smoking den, bubbling with water pipes). These are a perfumer’s perfumes--scents so elusive, half the challenge was bottling them. Ellena feels fortunate to work for a company committed to indulging these flights of fancy. “People come to Hermès ready to be surprised, so I can do what I want,” he says with a big smile. He also knew that the men’s fragrance (which the company wanted to be a big seller) required a different approach. “If I seduce one person with Hermessence, I’m thrilled,” he explains. “With Terre d’Hermès, I had to seduce millions of people.”

Terre d’Hermès also came with another imperative: The name had already been chosen. For Ellena, this was comparable to an author being given the title of a novel, then being told to write it. But he found inspiration through elimination. “Little by little, I had the idea to create a fragrance using only mineral and vegetable scents--no animal notes, no musk. The easy way would have been to build it on a base of vetiver, but that’s already been done. So I looked to bois (wood), and cèdre (cedar). I also wanted it to be happy, so I played with zesty grapefruit and orange.” Ellena didn’t like any of the orange distillations on the market, and experience had taught him to fend for himself. He sought out a manufacturer in Grasse, and said, “Tu me le fais comme ça” (make it for me like this). And it was.

One thing he assiduously avoided was any involvement with the bottle’s design or packaging. “I’m afraid of marketing,” he says. “You don’t make a painting to match a frame--and the bottle is the frame.” That said, he admits to liking the bottle, which was created by Hermès designer Philippe Mouquet after a flask from a 1920s nécessaire de voyage (one of those fitted leather cases that held a gentleman’s traveling necessities: mustache brush, eau de cologne and whiskey, to name a few). By happy coincidence, Ellena and Mouquet had the same image of the Hermès man as being tout droit, or upright. Ellena evoked this in his deceptively simple layering of woody cedar and patchouli, with citrus accents and a hint of flint and gunpowder (for a mineral element). Mouquet’s bottle has squared-off, masculine shoulders and a classic Hermès “H” hidden in its footprint. The powers that be were pleased.

So was Ellena. That’s saying a lot, considering the anxiety he admits to feeling during the creation of Terre d’Hermès. Like many an artist working on commission, he suffered the push-and-pull of satisfying several masters--himself included. But now he’s happy. The hard work is over: The fragrance launches in March, and already it’s getting good reviews. He’s created something new (among other pet peeves, he has a horror of repeating himself), and he’s managed to convert at least one old friend, who called him with the grand announcement that, after 20 years, he was abandoning his signature scent for Terre d’Hermès. Most importantly, Ellena feels he’s satisfied his mantra--“Je suis dans le flacon--in the bottle you will find me.” As he explains, with a Gallic shrug that suggests he could live no other way, “I have to be proud of being in the bottle, because at least then I have some hope that it will fly.”

This is so wonderful! The longevity is awesome! I still smelled in on my chest where it blead through my shirt after taking a shower! This morning, I put on that shirt to run a errand before going back to the hotel to take a shower and it got on my chest again! I cannot wait to recieve it in the mail. I just cannot get enoughs whiffs of this. It is very comforting and gets me through the day.

Well, I finally got myself a sample of this stuff (thanks HackerX). Not a huge Hermes fan nor have I smelt anyone of them, but I had to try this one and see what's all the talk about.

Topnotes remind me of a spoiled tangerine or mandarin orange mixed with some spices, but not too much spice. I very light spice barely noticeable but still very much present. Then the middle notes remind me of Orange juice with pulp mixed with Vodka. I honestly felt I just spilled a high end cocktail on myself. The drydown reminds me of some cheap cologne an old guy would wear but in a very good way. This is what I thought Creed Orange Spice should of smelt like.

Overall, I felt the scent was very well put together but not something I'd wear too much. The flow is amazing and the development on the skin was killer. There was definitely a mix going on, couldn't pick it out myself because it was my first wearing. Most of the time I hate when there's a mix in fragrances because some notes clash but in Terre it was very well done. Well crafted but nothing amazing.

Longevity and Sillage is moderate, I got a good 4 to 5 hours.

I know my review wasn't as sophisticated as some of the others, but I thought I should right about it anyways. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi
    Well, I finally got myself a sample of this stuff (thanks HackerX). Not a huge Hermes fan nor have I smelt anyone of them, but I had to try this one and see what's all the talk about.

Topnotes remind me of a spoiled tangerine or mandarin orange mixed with some spices, but not too much spice. I very light spice barely noticeable but still very much present. Then the middle notes remind me of Orange juice with pulp mixed with Vodka. I honestly felt I just spilled a high end cocktail on myself. The drydown reminds me of some cheap cologne an old guy would wear but in a very good way. This is what I thought Creed Orange Spice should of smelt like.

Overall, I felt the scent was very well put together but not something I'd wear too much. The flow is amazing and the development on the skin was killer. There was definitely a mix going on, couldn't pick it out myself because it was my first wearing. Most of the time I hate when there's a mix in fragrances because some notes clash but in Terre it was very well done. Well crafted but nothing amazing.

Longevity and Sillage is moderate, I got a good 4 to 5 hours.

I know my review wasn't as sophisticated as some of the others, but I thought I should right about it anyways. ;D
    I think you made a fine effort conveying your thoughts. Honesty is always stellar. Although you did not like it as much as I, this is what basenotes is all about. The good, bad, and indifferent. Thanks for adding your post as it is testament that people will love a fragrance with varying passion. (Did I mention that I love it?) ;D

Tested it today and I think it's one of the best cedarwood-based fragrances available. Also maybe it's just me but I found Terre similar to Burberry Brit ( rose + cedarwood ).

I have yet to experience this apparent masterpiece. Any other fragrances you think might somewhat be similar to it? I'm trying to imagine it.
    Thanks

I have tried Terre d'Hermès twice, and my opinion is that I don't like it very much. *Its fruitiness is not at all attractive to me, and I don’t want to smell like that. *I will probably try it at least a few more times to see if I can learn to appreciate it.
    I have noticed all of the very positive reactions, which are so different from my reaction. *Well, by now, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that different people have varied reactions to and opinions of fragrances. *Also, people have distinctly different body and skin chemistries.

The fruitiness doesn't last long on me. It then gives and makes it way into that awesome peppery-wood accord that seems to last forever. I sprayed the card it came in and 2.5 days later, its still going strong. As far as something similar, nothing really but Incanto pour homme has an amber-pepper accord very faint in the drydown and D&G Masculine has that thyme-amber-wood thing going on that might give you an indea of the spicy, woody glory that is TDH. Like I said, nothing equals TDH but that might give you an idea. I love this juice and cannot get enough of it. I look forward to my bottle arriving!

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance Man
    I have yet to experience this apparent masterpiece. Any other fragrances you think might somewhat be similar to it? I'm trying to imagine it.
    Thanks
    I think that Terre d'Hermes shares a general vibe in common with two other Hermes releases, Un Jardin en Méditerranée and Un Jardin sur le Nil. You can definitely tell that they are closely related, even if they smell distinct.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H.
    [quote author=Renaissance Man link=1144794441/15#19 date=1144905449]I have yet to experience this apparent masterpiece. Any other fragrances you think might somewhat be similar to it? I'm trying to imagine it.
    Thanks
    I think that Terre d'Hermes shares a general vibe in common with two other Hermes releases, Un Jardin en Méditerranée and Un Jardin sur le Nil. You can definitely tell that they are closely related, even if they smell distinct.

Jeff
    [/quote]
    It seems that the grapefruit is a hit or miss with some people. I wonder how much better this scent is without it.

This is an all-time fave of mine that I often ignore for weeks at a time. That should not happen! I am wearing it today and it really rocks, and it's so unique. It's a Top 5 scent for me.

Simply a classic IMO.

TdH got me to where I am today....
    Last edited by morrison74; 24th February 2012 at 02:55 PM.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Try Bel Ami. Another Hermes scent that lasts forever on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
    Try Bel Ami. Another Hermes scent that lasts forever on me.
    Yep, Bel Ami is in my wardrobe. I actually considered wearing it this morning.

Thread is 6 years old fyi.

TDH is a great fragrance. This reminds me that my bottle is probably approaching the 5-6 year mark and still have 75% left :0

I always have to finish things whether it is a $2 bottle of Suave shampoo or a $200 bottle of Creed. It becomes a more of a problem the more bottles I get.

I am rocking Creed SMW and I could tell it doesn't smell like it used to but the bottle but it still smells good.