Code of Conduct

Default My Blind buys (is there a word for lack of smell?)

Here's a list of my blind buys over the past year and my ratings:

Ungaro III (very average, nothing special, smells like something from CK)
    Mont Blanc Cool Presence (Vile, smells like bitter apple juice, nothing like MB Presence at all)
    Joop! Jump (excellent juice, delicately sweet & manly)

So in retrospect, I'm 1-1-1 on blind buys. On my short list for future blind buys are: Jil Sander Sun Men, Terre d'Hermes, Creed GIT.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Default Re: My Blind buys (is there a word for lack of sme

Hello, Manic!

Which CK fragrance would you compare to Ungaro III? Any other similar one?

hmm you could call them Anosmic buys.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Anosmic, from anosmia. Loss of the sense of smell due to a health condition. *A person can become anosmic, a perfume can't.

Odorless?

Irredolent?

Fragrance-free? Inodorous, odor-free, scentless, smell-less, unaromatic, unfragrant, unperfumed, unpicquant, unscented?

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    Anosmic, from anosmia. Loss of the sense of smell due to a health condition. *A person can become anosmic, a perfume can't. *

Odorless?

Irredolent?

Fragrance-free? Inodorous, odor-free, scentless, smell-less, unaromatic, unfragrant, unperfumed, unpicquant, unscented?
    Yes but he said blind buy not blind perfume. Anosmic is the lack of the ability for a person to smell anything just like blind is the lack of ability to see anything.
    The visual equivalent of odorless would be invisible.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells
    The visual equivalent of odorless would be invisible.
    The question was, "Is there a word for lack of smell?" *My response: Odorless.

Survey says: We both better quit while we're even.

Interestingly enough, there was discussion last week on the FemFragDisco about plans to stage a musical production based on the life of a beautiful, young Basenoter who becomes afflicted with anosmia. *

(Edited to remove drug reference.)

Obviously he meant "lack of smelling ability", just as blindness is the lack of seeing ability, not "lack of odor".

Geez. Art thou on crack?

Well, Ungaro III reminds me of Obsession.

Also, there isn't a word in english that I'm aware of for not having the ability to smell. There's also no word for no ability to feel either!
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by Xplo
    Obviously he meant "lack of smelling ability", just as blindness is the lack of seeing ability, not "lack of odor".
    Thanks, Xplo! I think I am getting the hang of it. Blind (lack of sight) buy. Lame (inability to walk) brain. Dumb (inability to speak) ass.

Anencephalic - inability to feel pain. Caused by a birth defect of the spinal column.
    Anhedoniac * *- *inability to feel joy.
    Numb.
    Don't think these are what you are looking for. For every sensation, symptom, inability, fear - there is a word. Maybe not an English word...

Almost all of my purchases have been blind buys, which is why I pretty much stick to Guerlain and vetivers.

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy
    Well, Ungaro III reminds me of Obsession. *

Also, there isn't a word in english that I'm aware of for not having the ability to smell. *There's also no word for no ability to feel either!
    manicboy like I said earlier the English word is anosmia.

an·os·mi·a ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-zm-)
    n.
    Loss of the sense of smell.

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy
    Well, Ungaro III reminds me of Obsession. *

Also, there isn't a word in english that I'm aware of for not having the ability to smell. *There's also no word for no ability to feel either!
    what about numb?

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    [quote author=Xplo link=1144866658/0#6 date=1144932299]Obviously he meant "lack of smelling ability", just as blindness is the lack of seeing ability, not "lack of odor".
    Anencephalic - inability to feel pain. Caused by a birth defect of the spinal column.
    [/quote]

No I'm not on crack I wouldn't be so quick to throw around insults when you have no idea what you are talking about.

Anencephalic does not mean the inability to feel pain means this :
    an·en·ceph·a·ly ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nn-sf-l)
    n. pl. an·en·ceph·a·lies
    Congenital absence of most of the brain and spinal cord

Yes someone without a brain won't be able to feel pain but that is not what it means.

numb (nm)
    adj.

Being unable or only partially able to feel sensation or pain

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells
    other definitons: *Veronica - inability to respect others
    That would be incorrect. Veronica - true image. From the Latin: vera icon.

I said anencephalic, anhedoniac, numb were not helpful to us. Everyone was aware, AZsmells.

Worth mentioning: Anhedonia - inability to feel joy. From the Greek - hedon. Hedonism. The pursuit and enjoyment of fragrances is pretty hedonistic.