Code of Conduct

Default Probably the dumbest thing I ever heard

OK, so I never really gave too much thought to SA's in the department stores. We all know many like to think they know what they talking about, but the don't their SA's (re-arrange the letters) from a hole in the ground.

So on to my story............I was in a major store the other day and asked the SA if she knew when they would be receiving Terre D'Hermes. Her reply........"I don't know when we will be receiving our new Chanel shipment. OK I thought, I must have heard her wrong so I repeat.....Terre D'Hermes. She repeats, in a sarcastic tone, "Like I said, I don't know when our Chanel shipment is coming in". The second time she said Chanel actually made my brain hurt. If I ever wanted to slap someone, now was the time. Not so much because she didn't have a clue, but so was getting mean about it, like I was the idiot! So in my calm voice I said "well, Terre D'Hermes is made by HERMES". At this point, she is actually getting mad at me. "Honey", she says, "someone gave you some wrong information, it's made by Chanel". So I said "why would Chanel put Hermes in the name of the fragrance"? Her reply......."maybe it's a marketing ploy". Now I just wanted to push her down then pick her up so I could push her down again. But instead, I told her she should think about moving to housewares. I heard Chanel was launching their new line of non-stick cookware! I got the strangest feeling she did not like my suggestion.

Oh, what a day!

gianni

Default Re: Probably the dumbest thing I ever heard

Wow. What ignorance. Hermes would probably love to hear this story! Maybe you should write to them via their website and see if they give you some freebies...

HAHAHAHAHAHA, I think she just felt so dumb that she had to keep with her original Chanel comment. That is a prefect example of why SA's should be gotten rid of, for the most part. There are a few gems but the rest are completely lost... I would deffinately send this story in to Hermes and see what happens. I'm sure they will get a kick out of it.

Great story. I am going to remember what the SA says next time I have to deal with one that hasn't a clue...

Bruce^

Overcome By Fumes

That is among the best SA stories I have ever heard--so brazenly idiotic that it's a shame that it had to end. Maybe you should call her every day to see when the Chanel shipment with Terre d'Hermes arrives. Or then again, maybe her supervisor would know the Chanel shipping date for Hermes products... perhaps she could ask.

Lol. She felt very stupid. She will remember that moment

Quote Originally Posted by flee
    Lol. She felt very stupid. She will remember that moment
    I doubt it. In her mind, she was right. She'll probably remember that stupid customer who thought "Hermes" was actually the manufacturer

I've lost count of the number of times I've asked about the difference between a regular EDT and the EDP/Extreme/Concentrée/intense etc version, only to be told, 'They're exactly the same, but one just lasts longer.'

:

LOL. Nice story Gianni. Definitely one of the best SA stories I've ever read.

"Marketing Ploy"... WOW!

I think 90% of the time those SA are only interested in sales. I always check out Basenotes before I go out and try out fragrances, so I'll know what I'm talking about. The other day I checked out Black XS and the reviews said that it smelled like strawberry jam. I concured and I told the SA that it smelled like strawberry jam and she said "no, no, there isn't any strawberry note in it" I know that but the composition smelled like strawberry jam to me, da#n it!" Then I proceded to smell Chevignon Che and I told her that it smelled a little vegetal to my nose. Same reaction.

Actually, the most knowledgeable SA was from the Escada counter.
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

Quote Originally Posted by Dante
    I've lost count of the number of times I've asked about the difference between a regular EDT and the EDP/Extreme/Concentrée/intense etc version, only to be told, 'They're exactly the same, but one just lasts longer.'

:

Um, to most people that IS the difference. Do you really want a lecture of different alcohol contents in fragrances, because that's the difference most of the time, especially in department stores.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

SA's are not fans of perfume like us, mostly. They work for a living. I don't get annoyed with them being way less informed than I am.

LOL!!!! ;D ;D
    What a nice story, Gianni!
    It's hard to put up with those kind of situations... Another day I was looking for the new davidoff silver shadow and when I asked the SA, she said: "DaviWhat???" And Looked at me with that snobish look as if I were asking for a wal mart mass-market manufacturer... :-/
    Then, she said "No, we don't work with that line"

That's pretty funny, but not atypical.

The question I always get that makes no sense to me is, "what do wear now?". Then they proceed to show me scents that are similar. Why would I want to own more scents that similar to what I already own :-?

And I really like your reply about non-stick cookware *;D

With me, the standard SA question is "what type of fragrances do you like ? woody, spicy, green, citrus,... ?" A logical and legitimate question, to which I never know what to answer, except for "all of the above" or "it depends" or "it changes every day" or a vague grunt or some nervous escape manouver.

That was brilliant and thank you so much *for sharing it! *I have often said that the most annoying part of the whole trip with SAs is how they get defensive and gnarly when they suspect that you know more than they do. *Then they just keep digging the ditch with more and more assinine assertions. *"Marketing ploy" (snickering) *

I believe I have shared my personal favorite her once before. An SA at Macy's told me that with Escada's limited edition fragrances, they destroy all remaining merchandise after the "limited" time period. Does that boggle the mind, or what? So naturally I couldn't resist blowing her mind with, "That's odd...because bottles of these fragrances can be purchased from tons of online discount perfume etailers." She was AGHAST, I tell you.....LOL. I think her last feeble comment was a very stern, "Well....that's highly illegal." Yeah...whatever. ROFL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dante

:
    Oh yes, that happens over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Vavoom
    SA's are not fans of perfume like us, mostly. They work for a living. I don't get annoyed with them being way less informed than I am.
    I agree with you there. I do get annoyed if someone is rude, unhelpful, too much in your face, greedy or stiff. But as long as they are friendly and helpful, it doesn´t bother me that they aren´t experts. It would be great if everybody could work with what they are interested in, but S.A. isn´t exacly a high status profession, and many sales assistants are pushed around between the departments. Still, of course, some of these stories can be funny.