Code of Conduct

Thread: chanel egoiste

Default chanel egoiste

I'm quite puzzled by this one from chanel. When I first tried it on my wrist at one chanel outlet it smells like very powdery potent sweet scent with fruity notes. So I purchased one bottle from the auctions then when I first sprayed from that bottle the smell is so totally different from what I've known to be egoiste. It starts off very sharp and pungent greasy gasoline type of smell that reminds me of antaeus by the same house. Then it drys down into some soft sandalwood with only a very soft hint of what I previously identified as the egoiste smell. I thought I've got a knock-off so I went back to the chanel outlet and sniffed the tester on display and now it also smells like the one I've got. I find it to be not even half as potent or strong as Opium PH EDP by ysl. What are your thoughts on this?

Default Re: chanel egoiste

There's something to look out for with Egoiste...the new one and the old one. The new Cologne and EdT are weak and watery smelling, compared to the classic versions, where the Cologne Concentree lasted twice as long as today's EdT, and smoother, sweeter and woodsier, compared to the old EdT, sharp, slightly longer drydown, compared to the new EdT, sharp and lasts 3-4 hours if you're lucky. The old stuff used to last 4-6 hrs for the Cologne, and 6-8 for the EdT.

I'm really feeling gipped, but I know it's the real stuff, just sad that even Chanel themselves have put out bargain basement versions of the true glorious classic versions.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I bought a bottle and wore it that same day. I couldn't stand it after that day though. I never wore it again and gave it to a friend because I wanted to get rid of it so badly. I really don't think it is very good at all. I must have had an "off" bottle because the rep it has on the boards is amazing. Why don't I like it then?? I guess it is like Kouros... Just doesn't appeal...

Post Thanks / Like

I guess Chanel isn't what it used to be. I've sniffed an old bottle of Egoiste and it smells sublime.
    "If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." -Nagasawa in Norwegian Wood

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased my bottle of Egoiste about 7 months ago--it's excellent. Nothing washed out.

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    I bought a bottle and wore it that same day. I couldn't stand it after that day though. I never wore it again and gave it to a friend because I wanted to get rid of it so badly. I really don't think it is very good at all. I must have had an "off" bottle because the rep it has on the boards is amazing. Why don't I like it then?? I guess it is like Kouros... Just doesn't appeal...
    Are you sure it's the real deal?
    I've been recently at the Chanel boutique in Milan and they only sell the usual ol' good edt that has been unchanged since its launch! They also don't have any "cologne" or concentrée version but only the regular eau de toilette! So I guess there's something wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    There's something to look out for with Egoiste...the new one and the old one. *The new Cologne and EdT are weak and watery smelling, compared to the classic versions, where the Cologne Concentree lasted twice as long as today's EdT, and smoother, sweeter and woodsier, compared to the old EdT, sharp, slightly longer drydown, compared to the new EdT, sharp and lasts 3-4 hours if you're lucky. *The old stuff used to last 4-6 hrs for the Cologne, and 6-8 for the EdT.

I'm really feeling gipped, but I know it's the real stuff, just sad that even Chanel themselves have put out bargain basement versions of the true glorious classic versions.
    Did Chanel really change the formula? What is your source for this?

I`m quite sure Chanel didn`t change the formula, but, my EdT splash juice is stronger than the spray stuff at the counters. I guess it`s the air that has changed it, but believe me guys; it has treated it very well! I love it! It seems to be the same - only little bit stronger.
    I swear in this case splash version is worth to try, if you can get it.

Overall, Egoiste is one of the best ever made. High quality stuff if anything. Extremely well made. I love it to death.

It has been quite a while since i posted.But i desided this topic could be a worthy start.I have been off from frags and ewen sold all my collection to my friend.Only saved Gendarme.But Egoiste has been haunting me and im really considering of getting some.And believe me when i say for me to buy new frag , its a BIG DEAL!!I was just wondering.The Egoiste has a note thats Amrette seed.Im a right that this was banned in the 90´s?So what do they use instead of it??

I have gone through several bottles of Egoiste since its launch. It's my number one favorite (tie with Antaeus!).
    Yes, there is/was a concentrate version and I've used it before. I really don't think the formula has changed. Any perceived differences are natural due to the varying levels of concentrations between the EdT and the Concentrate.
    I have no problem with the EdT as far as quality and longevity. There's nothing like Egoiste.
    RM

Quote Originally Posted by Peace
    It has been quite a while since i posted.But i desided this topic could be a worthy start.I have been off from frags and ewen sold all my collection to my friend.Only saved Gendarme.But Egoiste has been haunting me and im really considering of getting some.And believe me when i say for me to buy new frag , its a BIG DEAL!!I was just wondering.The Egoiste has a note thats Amrette seed.Im a right that this was banned in the 90´s?So what do they use instead of it??
    Probably more tonka, but that is my whole point...it smells less "heavy" I own an old bottle of the concentree and the new EdT...the concentree sticks to my skin and the new edt is like water. I bought the edt through Strawberrynet, and they guarantee authenticity. The only other option is to obtain one directly from Chanel.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Uhmmm i am still at odds about what to think of the concentration on egoiste's EDT, one bottle i got a while ago was ok, the other next bottle i bought was not as good, the last egosite i got at a chanel store was heavenly, rich and everything i love about it...

Now i only get my egoistes at a chanel retailer and get a bottle that says "made in france" embossed on the bottom of the bottle.
    (i don't remember if all chanels are made in france or some are made in the USA, please enlighten me, and if so does that make a difference?)

I recently got a bottle of Ego Platinum and I don't get the longevity out of it like I used too - or as best as I can remember. I thought it was a longevity whore dog. It's sitting on the bench for the time being. I do love it though.
    Peace ~ Markymark

I just got my very first bottle of Egoiste (cologne concentree) through a blind swap. I'm a fan of oriental scents, and always wanted to try this legendary cologne. The hype is well-deserved, it's so well crafted from top notes to drydown. Much, much better than Allure, which was swapped away a while back.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Égoïste is one of my biggest all-time faves! My first bottle was splash and the current one is spray. The only difference seems to be the top note stage: when sprayed it's a bit more "edgy", when dabbed it's soft from the start.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Post Thanks / Like

Someone described Habit Rouge as a beast of a scent. The same could said for Egoiste. It's rich, complex and wonderful with dynamite projection and longevity. Very few with this sort of quality. The boozy note just enhances its ultra-classical status.

“Perfume is decidedly not about two things: it isn’t about memory and it isn’t about sex. Perfume is about beauty and intellect,”.........“A perfume is a message in a bottle—not a smell—and the message is written by the perfumer and read by the person who smells it.”