Code of Conduct

Default Jacques Bogart WITNESS

Made a blind swap for this and i'm impressed. A very masculine cinnamon and patchouli aroma.

Anyone have opinions of this fragrance?
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Default Re: Jacques Bogart WITNESS

I really like Witness, in my Wardrobe I give it 4 stars. Since it is discontinued I have several bottles in reserve.

In addition to the notes of cinnamon and patchouli there are bitter herbs in the top notes and labdanum in the base.

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...1127452614/0#0
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen
    I really like Witness, in my Wardrobe I give it 4 stars. Since it is discontinued I have several bottles in reserve.

In addition to the notes of cinnamon and patchouli there are bitter herbs in the top notes and labdanum in the base.

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...1127452614/0#0

Cinnamon and Patchouli? Sounds like Givenchy Gentleman... Any similarity?
    I'm a great fan of Bogart's scents: I own Bogart original, One Man show and a decant of the new Bogart pour homme. All great stuff!

Good work! Great scent!! Somewhat hard to find, I love its richness. What was the swap BTW? What did you trade away for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    Good work! Great scent!! Somewhat hard to find, I love its richness. What was the swap BTW? What did you trade away for it?
    I swapped Pi Fraiche for it.

You know what? Witness very much reminds me of JHL, which i no longer own. JHL with a lot more cinnamon and other stuff, and not as stuffy. JHL Rouge! They both share that rich labdanum (sp?) at the base notes.

You know what? Witness very much reminds me of JHL ... . JHL with a lot more cinnamon and other stuff, and not as stuffy. JHL Rouge! They both share that rich labdanum (sp?) at the base notes.
    Agreed, they have strong similarities. JHL is heavier and sweeter. Witness has more cinnamon, the bitter herb top notes and also some musk that JHL does not have. I consider JHL a cold weather scent and Witness a warm weather scent.

And, as I think I mentioned in another thread, Witness is also an excellent mosquito repellent.

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen
    And, as I think I mentioned in another thread, Witness is also an excellent mosquito repellent.
    hmmmm...what will be my sotd when i spend all day in the back yard? Deep woods Off! or Witness?

KO

Basenotes Institution

Tried this today, for the first time (thanks tvlampboy) - WOW, it's good.

The top notes didn't wow me, they are slightly synthetic - but in about 5 minutes or so the scent warmed up on my skin and got comforting, snuggly, and very herbal.

I'm not sure if I would compare it to JHL (or Cinnabar for that matter) but I do agree with the comments that Witness is a cinnamon prominent scent that is easy to wear in warm weather. Which is great for me, here in Miami!

On a side note: I think this scent would layer great with a strong incense (smoke) scent - perhaps Avignon or something that would fill that middle space between the cinnamon at the top and the herbs/musk/labdanum at the bottom.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

It's an excellent perfume and when you add the price it's irresistible. I've been decanting it frequently recently and that brought back to mind how good it really is.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I haven't tried it, but in Luca Turin's "94 directory, he calls it a strangle hybrid of macho men's cologne and American pot pouri--like a gigolo sitting in a room decorated by his woman client--rough and seductive.

Gosh, it sounds better when Turin says it in French.....

It's an excellent perfume and when you add the price it's irresistible. I've been decanting it frequently recently and that brought back to mind just how good it really is. Luxuriously rich, never cheap, even if not quite in the JHL league.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Luca's right about many things and wrong about others. He writes beautifully, and brings a huge amount of attention to our hobby/passion, granted.

Like him or loathe him, though, you have to admit that he's one of those people you wanna buy for what they're worth and then sell them for what they think they're worth. I would be hard pressed to consider him and/or Chandler Burr very down-to-earth kind of folks.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 26th October 2007 at 10:42 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Wow...glad to see this old thread again .

My splash bottle (hate splash bottles!) of Witness sat unused for a long time, but now that i've decanted some into a spray decant, i'm really enjoying it. It really shines in the drydown.
    Last edited by knightowl; 27th October 2007 at 04:39 AM.

Can I revive this old thread? I guess I can. I have been wearing this recently, and have been thinking how great it is. Also thinking about buying a backup bottle. Surprising this is still available and affordaable. This got tucked away for a couple years and I forgot how great this fragrance is. I love the drydown, and it lasts for 10-12 hrs. Simply beautiful.

Also, quick thought. Spicebomb wishes it could be this good.

Haven't worn this in a while but it's a very nice scent and glad it is part of my Bogart collection.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I am happy to own a 50ml splash bottle of this stuff (of course decanted). It is an old school fragrance (meant positive) with a certain class to it! Thumbs up!
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen View Post
    Agreed, they have strong similarities. JHL is heavier and sweeter. Witness has more cinnamon, the bitter herb top notes and also some musk that JHL does not have. I consider JHL a cold weather scent and Witness a warm weather scent.
    Excellent description!!! Witness is however very linear: it is now what it will be in 8 hrs.