Code of Conduct

Thread: Acqua di Parma

Default Acqua di Parma

Hi,
    What can you tell me about Acqua di Parma?

Default Re: Acqua di Parma

I second that request. ;D
    There is no Nose....

I prefer the original, and also have the balm and body wash, although the body wash only comes in the absoluta version. It's only one of two scents that gets replaced when they run out. Perhaps that's also because I reach for it so often as it's great for the office, especially with cram-jammed meetings in confined rooms. Smells great, yet no one could ever be offended by its sheer pleasant nature.

Some talk of lemon, some talk of rose, however all I sense is a very well-blended aromatic fragrance that is unqiue and unto a class of its own.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

The Colonia and Colonia Assoluta are the best sellers, probably, but the least interesting to me. If I had to choose, I'd say the second one is more interesting, more complex, but don't overspray!

Their true gems are:

1. the Profumo, which is a very complex unisex chypre with (they say) over a hundred ingredients. It's great for a special evening out. Very elegant, and lasts for a long time on my skin. It changes subtly over the course of an evening and, IMO, is the height of sophistication for its type;

2. Iris Nobile, which they market towards women, but which I would gladly wear. I have it only in samples, unfortunately. It's one of the most beautiful iris-based scents I've ever smelled, IMO better than Lanvin's Arpège pour Homme or Dior's Dior Homme.

They also make a Lavanda Tonica, which is a pretty straightforward lavender blend, with a noticeable rose drydown. It's not very long-lasting on me, and I consider it a little old-fashioned and somewhat feminine on me.

Their Blu Mediterraneo series is interesting. I have two of them. The first is Cipresso Toscano, a fresh, woody-green scent, moderately lasting. The cypress is a little out of balance with the rest of the ingredients, and should be better supported, I think. Once the cypress is gone, the scent loses most of its interest for me. the other one I have is Fico d'Amalfi, better than CT IMO. It is a fig scent with citrus in the top and cedar and other woods in the base: a nice, fresh scent for spring or summer. I think they pitch this one mainly to women, but it's a cologne-type fragrance really, so I would call it unisex. There are some others in the Blu Mediterraneo series, but I'm not familiar with them enough to pass on them.

Hope this helps.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I'm more familiar with AdP - Colonia, so I'll talk about that.
    On me it tends to last a long time, but I think its duration appears to increase the more you wear it.
    The initial notes are lemony. Fiancee says it is like citrus fruit and likes it on me.
    Middle and base on me are rose notes. There is a "cardboard" note which comes out sometimes before coming to the rose base.
    I get about 5 hours on Colonia, but this is probably contrary to other people's experience.

It manages to be pretty refined and relaxed at the same time, so you could get away with this one anytime, anyplace IMHO.
    K
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

I am only familiar with the Colonia and the Colonia Assoluta. *IMO, they are both gorgeous classic colognes with beautiful notes of citrus, lavender, musk, and rose. *For most people, the problem with the original Colonia is that it has very poor tenacity (except for the very fortunate Vicomte de K). *The original Colonia was created in 1916. *Jean-Claude Ellena is responsible for creating Colonia Assoluta in 2003. *Colonia Assoluta is basically a slightly different re-formulation of the original Colonia. *Colonia Assoluta is both gorgeous and long-lasting. *I just ordered a bottle of Colonia Assoluta. *I plan to wear it quite often this Spring and Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB
    The Colonia and Colonia Assoluta are the best sellers, probably, but the least interesting to me. If I had to choose, I'd say the second one is more interesting, more complex, but don't overspray!

Their true gems are:

1. the Profumo, which is a very complex unisex chypre with (they say) over a hundred ingredients. It's great for a special evening out. Very elegant, and lasts for a long time on my skin. It changes subtly over the course of an evening and, IMO, is the height of sophistication for its type;

2. Iris Nobile, which they market towards women, but which I would gladly wear. I have it only in samples, unfortunately. It's one of the most beautiful iris-based scents I've ever smelled, IMO better than Lanvin's Arpège pour Homme or Dior's Dior Homme.

They also make a Lavanda Tonica, which is a pretty straightforward lavender blend, with a noticeable rose drydown. It's not very long-lasting on me, and I consider it a little old-fashioned and somewhat feminine on me.

Their Blu Mediterraneo series is interesting. I have two of them. The first is Cipresso Toscano, a fresh, woody-green scent, moderately lasting. The cypress is a little out of balance with the rest of the ingredients, and should be better supported, I think. Once the cypress is gone, the scent loses most of its interest for me. the other one I have is Fico d'Amalfi, better than CT IMO. It is a fig scent with citrus in the top and cedar and other woods in the base: a nice, fresh scent for spring or summer. I think they pitch this one mainly to women, but it's a cologne-type fragrance really, so I would call it unisex. There are some others in the Blu Mediterraneo series, but I'm not familiar with them enough to pass on them.

Hope this helps.
    JaimeB, This is wonderful information. *Thank you!

Both Colonia and Colonia Assoluta are excellent fragrances. Colonia vies for
    finest citrus, in my book. Lemony and a bit green, with a wonderful rose
    note. Colonia Assoluta smells a little less citrusy and I don't detect rose,
    but otherwise seems pretty simular to the original Colonia. The bottles
    look simple yet classy, too. The only thing not to like is the sprayer.
    It sticks in the compressed position. I have to pull up the atomizer with my
    fingers.

Not to forget the new line with shaving products just recently come on the the markets. I got the shaving gel and the after shave lotion which are really nice. The smell is basically the same like colonia assoluta. To me the shaving products smell a bit more masculine than colonia assoluta.

I got lot's of other AdP Products and like them all. Maybe my overall favorite is Blu mediterraneo Cipresso and the Colonia.

I used to love Colonia Assoluta, almost bought it. Nowadays it dries down very sweet on me. Now I prefer the original, but it has longevity issues. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB
    The Colonia and Colonia Assoluta are the best sellers....
    Their true gems are:.....
    2. Iris Nobile, which they market towards women, but which I would gladly wear. I have it only in samples, unfortunately. It's one of the most beautiful iris-based scents I've ever smelled, IMO better than Lanvin's Arpège pour Homme or Dior's Dior Homme
    It makes me happy to discover not being the only one with such 'weird' taste! I can second every single word you say! Many thanks for your information on the other scents, too! They would be new territory for me. You certainly got me inspired, Jaime!
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow
    I used to love Colonia Assoluta, almost bought it. Nowadays it dries down very sweet on me. Now I prefer the original, but it has longevity issues. Sad.
    Feeling exactly the same crux here. I bought Assoluta for myself, had to give it to a sister of mine who also found it too sweet in the end! And a natural longevity problem with the pure lemon, just like the F. Malles Bigarades, which must be the most expensive colognes per minute, I believe.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford
    [quote author=JaimeB link=1144441776/0#3 date=1144457797] The Colonia and Colonia Assoluta are the best sellers, probably, but the least interesting to me. If I had to choose, I'd say the second one is more interesting, more complex, but don't overspray!

Their true gems are:

Hope this helps.
    JaimeB, This is wonderful information. *Thank you!
    [/quote]

Great job of reviewing these, JaimeB.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    [quote author=JaimeB link=1144441776/0#3 date=1144457797] The Colonia and Colonia Assoluta are the best sellers....
    Their true gems are:.....
    2. Iris Nobile, which they market towards women, but which I would gladly wear. I have it only in samples, unfortunately. It's one of the most beautiful iris-based scents I've ever smelled, IMO better than Lanvin's Arpège pour Homme or Dior's Dior Homme
    It makes me happy to discover not being the only one with such 'weird' taste! I can second every single word you say! Many thanks for your information on the other scents, too! *They would be new territory for me. You certainly got me inspired, Jaime! [/quote]
    Hey buddy, I knew a true Iris Nobile lover like you would have walked through this thread!
    Thank you for having led me discover this one! I guess you're definitely not the only one with "weird" taste... ;D

I find the Colonia to be the most luxurious-smelling scent ever. It reminds me of a teak-furnitured cabin in a giant, expensive, Italian cabin cruiser.
    Pure elegance......

I prefer Colonia over Colonia Assoluta. The latter possibly does not agree with my skin chemistry. As much as it is always surprising upon a first smell, it tends to bog down into priggishness. While it is a recognizable scent, there is some aromatic herbal note in there which offsets the pure elegance of the start and makes it too 'old' for young people and too vain smelling for the old.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    I prefer Colonia over Colonia Assoluta. ...While it (Assoluta) is a recognizable scent, there is some aromatic herbal note in there which offsets the pure elegance of the start and makes it too 'old' for young people and too vain smelling for the old.
    Masterly defined! 'vain smelling' for every male I think.

Thanks , very interesting notes...