Code of Conduct

Default Simply nuts or just bitter over Almonds

Using a recently bought Shower Gel with Bitter Almond essence has left me panting to find a Bitter Almond noted fragrance.

If no clues here then maybe no clues ever....

Can you bring me to your senses?

Thanks in advance

G.

Default Re: Simply nuts or just bitter over Almonds

Acqua di Parma has some scent (it might be called Mediterran-something) that smells like almonds ( :-/bitter almonds/regular almonds not sure about the difference)

but I also remeber that bitter almond being mentioned in Dior's Hypnotic Poison for women

don't know if I put you on the right track or not, just wanted to provide some answer

Update: Acqua di Parma's scent is called Blu Mediterraneo Mondorlo eau de toilette and it features a distinct almond note)

Post Thanks / Like

Heliotrope has an almond smell. It might be worth looking at scents with that note. Etro do one as does Mazzolari. If you have the courage to try it, you could take a sniff of Guerlain's L'Heure Bleu.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

PrinceBarry is right there is that one by Etro a very bitter opening and it fades to a beautifully warm heliotrope, it might be what you're looking for

Serge Lutens Datura Noir ...

just try it. No better bitter almond note on earth.

Etro Heliotrope is pure almond
    Chanel Bois des Iles has a fascinating almond note in it
    Acqua di Parma Mandorlo di Sicilia
    for almonds sugar and candied cherries look for Keiko Mecheri Loukoum or Lutens Rahat Loukoum

Dior Homme Cologne Blanche, not bitter but sweet almond. Thought maybe I'd suggest it.

Many Thanks to everyone so far for their fast and interested responses.

Testing Testing...

G

Jaipur Homme has a heliotrope/almond note.

Post Thanks / Like

Etro's is definitely worth a look if you're looking for smooth, but bitter almonds.
    L'Artisan's Jour de Fête is also a very good almond-scent, only it has more sugar-roasted almonds touch...

Serpent

Burberry Brit (the women's, not Brit for Men) has something like three different listed almond notes (candied almond, green almond, etc.). One of the Hanae Mori scents also an almond note; I forget which.

But I might recommend checking out Castelbajac. It's a women's scent, but it's one a man could wear, I think. It opens with notes of almond and something a bit like cherry and dries clean, sort of like and fresh and sort of like... fabric softener drier sheets. But in a nice way.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the loveliest almond fragrances is Frederic Malle's L'Eau d'Hiver. It's got heliotrope which imparts the almondy character which is not bitter the way you might want it to be, but it isn't too sweet either. Plus the composition is quite transparent and the scent itself is highly addictive. You've got to try it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dusan
    One of the loveliest almond fragrances is Frederic Malle's L'Eau d'Hiver. It's got heliotrope which imparts the almondy character which is not bitter the way you might want it to be, but it isn't too sweet either. Plus the composition is quite transparent and the scent itself is highly addictive. You've got to try it!
    I don't find the heliotrope-note in this one; to me it smells like sweet flowers and white musk..Just me, though

Post Thanks / Like

The Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Mandorlo di Sicilia is the almond frag as far as I'm concerned. Lovely scent.

I used to adore the Vidal Sassoon shampoo you could get in the 1980s that was a total almond overdose! Don't seem to see it anywhere these days, perhaps not available.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Also try L'Artisan's Bois Farine - it has an almond smell. Maybe a bit of peanut butter as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry
    Heliotrope has an almond smell. It might be worth looking at scents with that note. Etro do one as does Mazzolari.
    AS Magnifiscent already said Etro Heliotrope is all about almonds. I love it myself and I know others love it one me.

about all of these fragrances, do they smell like almond or almond extract??

so often "almond" flavored stuff turns out to be almost extract flavored, which to me is quite different and I love almonds... not so fond of extract which is kind of cloying.

I am a real walnut fiend too, if that brings anything to mind I"d like to know!
    Last edited by supermarky; 13th August 2006 at 08:02 PM.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    I am a real walnut fiend too, if that brings anything to mind I"d like to know!
    According to Sephora, Bulgari's Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge has a walnut note.

above someone speaks of almond plus cherry, that's what I mean by almond extract smell.

maybe "bitter" means without that?

looks like the Bulgari goes through a whole herbal tea thing, from the reviews, which would not appeal to me.

evidently, searching here, I discover that Banana Republic has something out this year called "Black Walnut" I don't usually like black walnut ice cream. I'm not sure what a walnut smells like. all walnuts are bitter, aren't they?

anyway banana republic black walnut is said to have tobacco and cedar notes, usually am not thrilled with anti moth scent/sauna scent of cedar

Lutens Arabie is also recommended / / / again heavy spices going with the walnut. ..

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

My SotD today is one:

Cartier Le Baiser du Dragon

Top notes: bitter almond, neroli orange, and gardenia

Heart notes: iris, cedar, and musk

Base notes: vetiver, patchouli, and benzoin.

Never eat or drink anything that smells like bitter almonds. You'll get a REALLY bad tummy-ache, along with some other not so nice symptoms. Like passing away, things like that.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Banana Republic Black Walnut blows! Horrible...

Post Thanks / Like

Antico Caruso by Profumum is predominantly almond and it is terrific is sprayed properly (lightly and at arms lengt!). Last a long time too. One of my favs.