Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fragrances you consider to be totally *UNDERRATED*

A mirror of Red Rose's topic from today.

My vote for underrated and under-discussed; you guessed it, Clive X. Also, Malle's Bigarade Concentree.

Where's the love?? ;D
    There is no Nose....

Default Re: Fragrances you consider to be totally *UNDERRA

Trumpers

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    Trumpers
    That's a new one on me.
    There is no Nose....

Quote Originally Posted by OlfaOmega
    [quote author=robyogi link=1143586947/0#1 date=1143587154]Trumpers
    That's a new one on me. [/quote]

You mean the brand or that it's underrated?

Michael by Michael Kors. People do recognize its greatness from time to time but it's just amazing. One of favs for sure.

Lapidus PH by Ted Lapidus

Witness by Jacques Bogart
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

I am the only I know who wears it and no one talks about it on the boards..

Neroli Sauvage... a favorite of mine...

Stetson Black....I hear it costs next to nothing

haha...well before i visited here and then proceeded to totally lose my mind and acquire more "modern" things that smell i loved -marbert man- and still enjoy it ...i just recently got a bottle from the folks in dusseldorf and its exactly as i remember it too...whether it should be discussed at all or appreciated by the multitudes is anyones guess.....i'll just always love it as it holds such good memories for me...

Yeah definitely second Trumper´s, their Sandalwood cologne is actually an improved version of Egoïste - if such a thing can exist. Maybe the later launch gives it a little "rip-off" status, still this juice has sooo much going for it. Amazing staying power also, not very common with the barber-shop stuff.

MMM

* Bogart - a magnificent piece of art!
    * S.T. Dupont Signature - delicious incense smell!

Acier Aluminium seems to be under-discussed here...or am I just not looking hard enough?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rose
    Acier Aluminium seems to be under-discussed here...or am I just not looking hard enough? *
    You are so right! It is a great one, even compared to a lot of other Creeds!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB
    [quote author=Red Rose link=1143586947/0#11 date=1143591283]Acier Aluminium seems to be under-discussed here...or am I just not looking hard enough?
    You are so right! It is a great one, even compared to a lot of other Creeds![/quote]

And it's made both the overrated and underrated threads!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

My personal candidate is Hugh Parsons Blue, sometimes called HP Traditional. It's an incredibly fresh and heady summer scent, green, ambery, and musky all at once. Without being overpowering, it's a definite, clean, masculine presence. Why do so few people celebrate it? You can find it at Nordstrom here in San Francisco. I hope other Nordstroms carry it too.

Compositon: Lemon, Mandarin, Blackberry, Pepper, Angelica, Cardamom, Juniper, Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Ambergris.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    [quote author=JaimeB link=1143586947/0#12 date=1143592824][quote author=Red Rose link=1143586947/0#11 date=1143591283]Acier Aluminium seems to be under-discussed here...or am I just not looking hard enough? *
    You are so right! It is a great one, even compared to a lot of other Creeds![/quote]

And it's made both the overrated and underrated threads! * [/quote]
    ROTFLMAO!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by DrOfTheSoul
    Michael by Michael Kors. People do recognize its greatness from time to time but it's just amazing. One of favs for sure.
    Was going to mention this, but you got it. It's completely overlooked, even in department stores. It's warm and rich, and it's my signature winter scent. I hope it continues to be hidden away... :P

I would also like to nominate Creed Baie de Genievre. A rugged, old school scent that's just timeless.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Yeah, Baie de Genièvre is way cool, but it doesn't project much on me... Still,, I love it and wear it a lot!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

The utterly remarkable 1948 Vetiver by Creed. An entirely different breed from their often-mentioned "Original" Vetiver; much better, in my opinion.

My personal candidate is Hugh Parsons Blue, sometimes called HP Traditional. It's an incredibly fresh and heady summer scent, green, ambery, and musky all at once. Without being overpowering, it's a definite, clean, masculine presence. Why do so few people celebrate it? You can find it at Nordstrom here in San Francisco. I hope other Nordstroms carry it too.

Compositon: Lemon, Mandarin, Blackberry, Pepper, Angelica, Cardamom, Juniper, Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Ambergris.

You are so right about this one. Fresh, refined, clean, elegant.

I don't know if it is exactly "totally" underrated, but I sure do think the world of Escada PH -- yet it seems to not get much play nor does it seem that many people wear it. It's a lovely, warm and calming frag that always gets positive reviews when I wear it. A hidden gem indeed that does well in the office and in all seasons -- it also has good staying power. It's one of my signature scents.
    Peace ~ Markymark

Acier Aluminum and Michael by Michael Kors were the first two that came to my mind, and both have been mentioned already. I'd also say that Creed's Santal Imperial is pretty underrated. It's amazing, especially considering this fragrance was created 157 years ago!

Now to be burned at the stake for mentioning this one amongst Creeds and the whatnot, but I really like my Ferrari Passion. It's a woodsy/leather fragrance, but it's also light and fresh, something that most woodsy/leather scents are not. It's by no means a stellar fragrance, but it sure isn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    I am the only I know who wears it and no one talks about it on the boards..

Neroli Sauvage... a favorite of mine...
    Are you freakin' kidding me? You must not read my posts . It is an absolute fav of mine also. It is the most intoxicating men's scent I have even come across. That is why in addition to my 4.0 oz already is use, I have a back-up bottle in waiting for me!

Agua Brava
    Quorum
    Agua Lavanda (sorry for the Puig trend, but those were the ones which leapt to mind)
    Brut Classic
    Miller Harris - Feuilles de Tabac
    Worth pour Homme
    Caswell Massey Sandalwood
    Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Neroli by Czech & Speake is almost completely ignored here, but I find this to be an absolutely marvelous and fantastic scent! *I might wear Neroli by Czech & Speake more than just about any other fragrance with the exception of Egoiste by Chanel and L'Impact de Pour un Homme by Caron. I am going to have to give a review of this one sometime soon. *

It is so refreshing! *Neroli by Czech & Speake is my idea of "fresh". *No notes of melon or cucumber here. *No ozonic notes here. *Neroli by Czech & Speake is basically a floral fragrance, since Neroli is a flower. *In aromatherapy, Neroli Essential Oil is used to chase away mental depression, and Neroli by Czech & Speake has a cheerful, upbeat aura to it. *When I got haircuts as a kid, at the end of the haircut, the barber would always splash on my head a good smelling tonic or aftershave, which was usually very refreshing. *Neroli by Czech & Speake has that old barbershop smell, and it is very attractive. *It is beautiful. *And masculine (but a woman could wear it just as well). *

I receive lots of compliments when I wear this fragrance. *I feel like a million bucks when I wear Neroli by Czech & Speake. *The perfume note of neroli is generally a top note only and it usually disappears quite quickly. *But the note of neroli in Neroli by Czech & Speake lasts for a good six to seven hours on my skin (and usually, fragrances have a tendency to disappear quickly on my skin). *On the days that I wear Neroli by Czech & Speake, I carry a small roll-on in my pocket to refresh the fragrance on my skin once or twice a day. * * * * * *

OMG, Guerlain Vetiver fo' shure! A full vetiver because of the vanilla, but what is it with the bitter note that just ruins it????

C'mon, Dior Homme? Underrated? If it's a longevity issue, that shouldn't toss it down to the underrated list. Tell me if they strived to have it smell anything like what's out there now!!! Makes Musc Ravageur smell like a designer imposter oil at a New Age shoppe!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I`d say
    Or Black and Or Noir by Pascal Morabito are underrated pretty much.
    Magnificent dry leather mens cologne and marvellous womens...
    Thanks to Luca Turin for point me on this gem in his book.

I`d add Ungaro Hombre de la Nuit, but it is invisible on a shelves for ages!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Creed Chevrefeuille Original
    Creed Royal Delight
    Geo F. Trumper Marlborough
    Sisley Eau de Campagne
    Gendarme Grabazzi
    L'Artisan Parfumeur L'Eau de l'Artisan
    L'Artisan Parfumeur Oeillet Sauvage
    Kenzo KenzoAir
    D'Orsay Tilleul
    D'Orsay Arome 3

to mention a few of my absolute favourites

Roger & Gallet "Jean-Marie Farina Extra-Vieille".
    A great classic cologne from what is mainly perceived as a soap brand. A balanced mix with dominant notes of citrus and rosemary. Nothing terribly original, but well made - beats Acqua di Parma in my opinion, although nobody knows it.
    I seem to remember JMF is actually the guy who invented or at least standardized cologne in 18th century Germany.

CKbe. Love this tonic musk!

Jicky EdT. Generally sniffed at, this is great on me. Not sharp or weak at all.

Men's :

Declaration , Givenchy Gentleman , Cartier Santos , CK Obsession (much better than the women's) , L'artisan Timbuktu , CK be , Rochas man (sweet though...),FM Bigarade concentree
    Added : Rosine Rose d'homme (this is gorgeous!)

Women's :

Verte Violette ,Floral Nerolia Guerlain , Czech & Speake Mimosa , Rykiel woman , FM Angeliques sous la pluie , Pleasures Garden of plasures LE Moon lily (discontinued) ,Armani femme (the first , chypre one) ,Kirna , Zabete , Loulou ,Dzing!

Armani Pour Homme, a classic citrus fragrance (perhaps one of the best ever in its category)

Ferrè Pour Homme 1986 (leather, jasmin and citrus)

L'EAU DIPTYQUE
    L'EAU TROIS DIPTYQUE
    L'AUTRE DIPTYQUE
    L'OMBRE DANS L'EAU DIPTYQUE
    GAROFANO VILLORESI
    KNIZE TEN

simply works of art

Agreed

Armani pour homme and in a similar vein, Ricci Club

Taylor's Sandalwood

Aramis Devin

Bring back the original Gucci pour homme

Halton Z-14. No one ever talks about this classic.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Agree very much on Givenchy Gentleman & would like to add CK Contradiction.

These might be very well rated here, but atleast are not mentioned that much!

LV Sandalo, Armani Mania, Miracle Homme, Trumper's GFT, Skye and Spanish Leather, MPG's Centaure, Secret Melange, Racine and Baïme!

Quote Originally Posted by chris21
    [quote author=DrOfTheSoul link=1143586947/0#4 date=1143587814]Michael by Michael Kors. People do recognize its greatness from time to time but it's just amazing. One of favs for sure.
    Was going to mention this, but you got it. It's completely overlooked, even in department stores. It's warm and rich, and it's my signature winter scent. I hope it continues to be hidden away... *:P
    [/quote]

I'll third Michael Kors. I use it in the same situations I use M7 and Antaeus and think it is equally as good.

Some other mainstream frags that I think are underappreciated are CK Obsession and Truth (Basenoters seem to "turn up their noses" at CK as a house more than I think is warranted), and Escada Magnetism. I also think that Gendarme is underrated in the sense that people seem to regard it as a clean "anti-fragrance" and don't appreciate it as a beautiful fragrance in its own right. Finally, Fahrenheit is one that I can't get enough of that isn't frequently talked up.

--Steve

Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

L'artisan Bois Farine. It's hardly ever mentioned. I find it to be the most unique from the house; even more unique than Dzing!, Tea for Two, and Voleur de Roses.

I'll go out on a limb and say it...CK Eternity. It gets bashed for being too strong or too popular, but I really like this classic. If it was barely released this year, it would probably be the only new release that I would like compared to the others.

DK Fuel is another one. It's not underrated, but it's not discussed often enough. It puts most niche scents to shame IMO. Donna Karen should definitely release this one again.

Another vote for Hugh Parsons Blue! *A fresh masculine fragrance that deserves a wider audience.

I would also like to offer Handsome by Tova as a really great scent that is rarely mentioned. I bought it blind based on some very positive reviews here and elsewhere, and it's one of the VERY few blind purchases I've been happy about!

*Edit

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    I would also like to offer Handsome by Tova as a really great scent that is rarely mentioned. *I bought it blind based on some very positive reviews here and elsewhere, and it's one of the VERY few blind purchases I've been happy about!
    and I like the original TOVA FOR MEN. underrated for sure.
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

Very much agree with Concord on CK BE. The only bottle I have actually used up in years.

Here´s what I wrote in the review section:
    "Flawless skin musk. The quintessential "anti-fragrance", blending with skin in minutes creating a faint but very pleasant juniper/white musk aura. Sure it's light, but this is the main idea. A scent that can be worn at ALL times, even if you're in a temporary fragrance burnout period or had a sensory overload due to Diptyque's vicious L'Autre =) . Great bottle as well, even more appealing than the original "One" version. A classic in all of it's simplicity. "

I very much feel like this still, this is the one scent that you can wear even during your most intense fragrance burnout periods, quite simply one of the most pleasant juices out there. Sometimes less really is more.

/mmm

And while we're on the subject...

Shiseido BASALA for Men

Deep, dry, masculine and somewhat mysterious....

Rush for Men is widely disparged (though it has it's admirers). It's one of my favorites - its character changes so much from top notes to base notes that I suspect many of the haters never got through the whole development cycle.

I second Jicky EdT - definitely my favorite version of Jicky.

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron.....a beauty this is :P

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow
    These might be very well rated here, but atleast are not mentioned that much!

LV Sandalo, Armani Mania, Miracle Homme, Trumper's GFT, Skye and Spanish Leather, MPG's Centaure, Secret Melange, Racine and Baïme! *
    How would you describe LV Sandalo? It's on my short list.

There is no Nose....

Quote Originally Posted by SmellsLike
    [quote author=chris21 link=1143586947/15#16 date=1143593972][quote author=DrOfTheSoul link=1143586947/0#4 date=1143587814]Michael by Michael Kors. People do recognize its greatness from time to time but it's just amazing. One of favs for sure.
    Was going to mention this, but you got it. It's completely overlooked, even in department stores. It's warm and rich, and it's my signature winter scent. I hope it continues to be hidden away... *:P
    [/quote]

I'll third Michael Kors. I use it in the same situations I use M7 and Antaeus and think it is equally as good.

Some other mainstream frags that I think are underappreciated are CK Obsession and Truth (Basenoters seem to "turn up their noses" at CK as a house more than I think is warranted), and Escada Magnetism. I also think that Gendarme is underrated in the sense that people seem to regard it as a clean "anti-fragrance" and don't appreciate it as a beautiful fragrance in its own right. Finally, Fahrenheit is one that I can't get enough of that isn't frequently talked up.

--Steve

[/quote]

You get my support with CK Obsession, a winter stalwart of mine along with JHL

Quote Originally Posted by OlfaOmega
    [quote author=Johnny_Ludlow link=1143586947/30#36 date=1143638974]These might be very well rated here, but atleast are not mentioned that much!

LV Sandalo, Armani Mania, Miracle Homme, Trumper's GFT, Skye and Spanish Leather, MPG's Centaure, Secret Melange, Racine and Baïme!
    How would you describe LV Sandalo? It's on my short list.

[/quote]

Like all Villoresis, I think Sandalo starts off pretty raw, maybe even "harsh." Sandalo dried down nicely on me though, to a smooth, though not quite warm, scent. It lasts forever on me as well. I'm sure somebody here can give a better description.

As far as Sandalwood goes though, I still like Trumper's the best. It's such an unusual scent to my nose, maybe because of the citrus notes that seem to stay forever. I had GFT on one arm and Sandalwood on the other, and at the end they smelled pretty similar, but Sandalwood was still going strong when GFT had faded. It also smelled fuller and richer throughout, but especially after it dried down. The longer it was on my arm, the more I liked it.

Loewe Pour Homme

I used to prefer Tam Dao and Trumper's Sandalwood, even Santal Noble, to Villoresi's Sandalo, but at the moment Lorenzo's creation might just be my favourite sandalwood. Don't get me wrong, I still think Tam Dao and Trumper's version are both excellent scents, but for me Tam Dao is a bit too soft and creamy, I would like it to have more character, Trumper then again is maybe just s little bit too sweet for my liking.

Like robyogi mentioned, it's raw and very natural smelling; it's dry, earthy and resinous. I think it's quite masculine scent. Petitgrain top note gives this one fresh - almost lemony - quality I have never discovered in any other Sandalwood. The floral notes and just a little bit of musk saves it from being too harsh, albeit this is raw interpretation of sandalwood, I'd say it's still very well balanced. I'd say; LV Sandalo is to Sandalwood as LV Vetiver is to Vetiver. It's different compared to most Villoresis for it doesn't have that much evolution, it's straightforward but never boring or usual.

And oh yeah, I once layered Tam Dao and Borsari's Acqua Classica, which was surprisingly close to LV Sandalo.

I'm such an amateur in describing fragrances, it really is one of the most difficult things I know! :P

Energetically agree with:

CK BE
    DK Fuel
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Hugh Parsons Blue (for the second time)

Please, DK, bring back DK Fuel!

In general Galimard House,in special *Sportissimo Galimard* is a great great fragance

others:

Nomade D'Orsay
    Mare Creative Universe

and my fauvorite fragance: *MARK BIRLEY*
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Nobody here ever mentions Emporio Armani Night, a gem in the Armani line. Check out Marlen's review of Night on his blog SCENTEUR7!

I have not tested to rate it but Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren never gets mentioned here even tho its highly rated in the reviews.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

"Nobody here ever mentions Emporio Armani Night, a gem in the Armani line. Check out Marlen's review of Night on his blog SCENTEUR7!"

what? i have mentioned it many-a-times and am a big fan of it!

uhhhhmmm... miracle homme? agree with CKBe, rose d'homme and a lot of the cheapies/supermarket scents get overlooked cause they are just that, cheap, and don't get the pub/buzz/worth/etc etc that some deserve. I sometimes think that if you get a million $ ad, cool bottle and ad and promos and heavy industry buzz, you can sell just about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    And while we're on the subject...

Shiseido BASALA for Men

Deep, dry, masculine and somewhat mysterious....
    Agreed!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Floris Santal

To me.Theres nothing wrong with this one.Some might say it unoriginal.To me its classy and just great.I wore little on my shirt yesterday and got got a compliment in 5minutes.

Someone smell´s great!!

Too bad its only a sample.Would love to get o bottle.Do they have splash edt??So i could put a dab on my shirt on specail occasions.

Shiseido's Basala is a great call, but one not mentioned that is superb (and inexpensive) is Oscar de la Renta's Pour Lui. It is rich, almost decadent in a classy sort of way, and very long lasting. A great one to wear with a suit in the winter months.