Code of Conduct

Thread: I am NEW here

Default I am NEW here

Wow: I didn't know there was a "community" for people like me. (I have searched for fragrance groups, but haven't been able to find any that were serious.) I have been interested in fragrances since, probably, Junior High, when I discovered how scents can affect one's moods. My first real love, as I recall, was probably Aqua Velva Redwood, sold at the local grocery store. (Aqua Velva Menthol Mist was a close second.) From there I progressed to Nautica, and eventually Polo (the original green) which doesn't smell quite the same to me now as it did back then (I'm in my early 40's): too much musk or something, which is also my complaint with Ralph Lauren Safari. Anyway, my all-time favorites (so far) are Safari, Lancome's Miracle Homme, New West (tell me again why they stopped making it??), and Givenchy's Gentleman. I also like Guerlain's Heritage, which smells like spicy mandarin oranges to me, and Burberry London, which reminds me of gingerbread on a winter day. I have smell-tested Kenneth Cole's Reaction, but wasn't impressed until I learned those top notes are watermelon and apple, two of my favorite fruit scents. (I will have to test that one again.) I am glad to be here, and I hope somebody replies to my messages.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

Default Re: I am NEW here

Welcome! Enter at your own caution. Your wallet will suffer but your nose will enjoy.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Welcome to BN Allen!

As AZ mentioned, your wallet will suffer...it is part of the BN initiation.

Blog Entries

I own KC Reaction (in fact it is going to be my SOTD (scent of the day) tomorrow). You really can't get a feel for this one by sampling it on a strip, you need to test it out on your skin. I really like it. And you also mentioned Burberry London, which I have as well. At first this one kind of gave me a headache, but I loved the fragrance so much I bought it anyway, & just use a couple squirts when I wear it.

Welcome to the board!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I tried KC Reaction myself, and prefer this to DKNY Be Delicious. But I've resolved to get myself Z Zegna, much more refined and longer lasting.

AND Welcome to the forum!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Blog Entries

iMaverick, I like Z Zegna too! I just wish it smelled as good on me as it does in the bottle!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Welcome aboard.
    Grant and others had a campaign several years ago to try and get New West back into production again, because they couldn't understand why it wasn't around either. It's a shame they were unsuccessful, as I've never smelled the stuff.
    Renato

It was quite the opposite with me. I sniffed the bottle and thought there was way too much citrus for my liking, but when I sprayed it on and let it develop, it was balanced perfection! Not too fresh, not too citrus, not too aquatic. Just CLEAN AND SEXY!!! [smiley=cool.gif]

Letting my credit card wounds heal a little and it's out to get some of this juice!

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Welcome to Basenotes!!! I agree that your wallet will take a beating so beware of the mighty niche fragrances that are often praised here. I also don't like the original Polo. It smells like charcoal fluid to my nose.

Welcome aboard!
    Please, fasten your seatbelt, spray some scent and sniff deeply! [smiley=laugh.gif]
    I hope you'll enjoy it!

I too just 'jined' up......like I need another passion [smiley=grin.gif] to add to the Bass tackle and cigars [smiley=grin.gif]! Welcome from another newbie.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Welcome to Basenotes. You have a great collection of fragrances already. I also am a huge fan of Safari for men by RL. Heritage, Miracle Pour Homme, Gentleman, Burberry Pour Homme are fantastic scents.
    Concerning New West....Wish I could answer that one.
    Again...Welcome to Basenotes...Looking forward to your Posts and the new scents you discover.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells
    Welcome! Enter at your own caution. Your wallet will suffer but your nose will enjoy.
    I second that!
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

welcome to Basenotes..and happy to meet another fan of burberry london.

Welcome

I joined a few weeks ago and find this stuff enthralling!
    Have already spent way too much, but what fine & mysterious fragrances I have discovered.

Best regards;
    B.G.

If you have a Nordstrom store near you try calling them for New West. I was looking for it for a customer of mine ( Yes, I own a retail perfume store - shameless plug) and they had it. [smiley=happy.gif]
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

I have a supplier who will sell me New West for $50 for a 3.4 oz bottle. Is that a good deal? I've never tried it before but is it worth buying blind? Anyone else want a bottle?
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

You know, it was great, but not memorable enough to consider it a classic, and awfully not fair to have someone sell it to you for $50 when they were practically giving it away at Ross/TJMaxx at one point. New scents on the horizon coming out for fall...keep the ka$h, AZsmells!

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I was at the Nordstrom in Arcadia Calif. the other day and they had New West sitting next to the bottles of JHL.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen-at-home
    Wow: I didn't know there was a "community" for people like me. (I have searched for fragrance groups, but haven't been able to find any that were serious.) I have been interested in fragrances since, probably, Junior High, when I discovered how scents can affect one's moods. My first real love, as I recall, was probably Aqua Velva Redwood, sold at the local grocery store. (Aqua Velva Menthol Mist was a close second.) From there I progressed to Nautica, and eventually Polo (the original green) which doesn't smell quite the same to me now as it did back then (I'm in my early 40's): too much musk or something, which is also my complaint with Ralph Lauren Safari. Anyway, my all-time favorites (so far) are Safari, Lancome's Miracle Homme, New West (tell me again why they stopped making it??), and Givenchy's Gentleman. I also like Guerlain's Heritage, which smells like spicy mandarin oranges to me, and Burberry London, which reminds me of gingerbread on a winter day. I have smell-tested Kenneth Cole's Reaction, but wasn't impressed until I learned those top notes are watermelon and apple, two of my favorite fruit scents. (I will have to test that one again.) I am glad to be here, and I hope somebody replies to my messages.
    Welcome Allen! You'll find that most folks here are just as craz....er, enthusiasitc about the "juice" as you are! :
    There is no Nose....

Wow, I don't know how this old thread started recirculating again (it's probably a year old), but thanks for the welcome. Actually, I still like, in no particular order, Burberry London, Stetson Black, New West, Truth/212 (aren't they the same scent? They both remind me of Oil of Grass), and Miracle (such an original, if not daring, fragrance). I want to test every single fragrance ever made, but I have to be careful. (I have gone "scent-sniffing" before, and returned home with a severe migraine headache.) If I had to narrow my search and choose any one essential oil or ingredient I like the most in a fragrance, it would definitely be pepper: very masculine, yet, somehow, soothing. Heck: I think I could wear only oil of pepper and be content. * So here's my plan: to keep my sniffing down to a minimum (I know I will be tempted to smell more!) and maybe return home with one or two scents to keep me happy until the fever strikes again. I hope to find Antaeus and Piper Nigrum for a sniff or two, before I decide whether or not to buy. I am also very anxious to try Bulgari Black - I love that name - to smell that "burning rubber" smell for myself, ha. Speaking of Miracle, are there any other scents that smell like red peppers? *
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

Hi Allen - sent you a PM.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Welcome to Basenotes! You will enjoy, but you will also spend a lot of money!

Thanks, again, for the welcomes. I can't believe, while reviewing my list of favorite scents, that I forgot to include "Givenchy Gentleman", which is almost too good for this world. *: