Code of Conduct

Thread: Mat; Very Male

Yvan

Default Mat; Very Male

I just did an internet search for Mat; Very Male and saw that Sephora's website now lists this, but they say it's temporarily out of stock; maybe this will soon be in North American stores. I think Renato also recently mentioned that he saw this in Sephora in Europe. I know we were discussing this one on the temporary Basenotes board. Here are the Sephora and osMoz links on it:

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P112503

http://osmoz.com/mag/news_parfum.asp...&LANGUE=en

Default Re: Mat; Very Male

Hey Yvan,

Very curious how this smells like as it seems like the total opposite of the Mat; Male fragrance. The concept of sweet to woody transition piqued my interest. Hope it appears at my local Sephora soon!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Yvan

I haven't tried Mat; Male, though I've heard good things about it. I'm interested in Very Male because of its woody nature, as you mention, plus the anise and coffee, as one or two guys who've tried it have reported on. At least a couple guys said they like it. I'm guessing it might be better for fall and winter, but I don't know for sure.

I was also noticing a few similarities between the pyramids of Very Male and Ungaro's new one, Apparition Homme. Here's Very Male:

Top notes: Bergamot, Aquatic Freshness, Sambucca Accord (like aniseed)
    Middle notes: Lotus Flowers, Bamboo, Precious Woods
    Base notes: Patchouli, Licorice Wood, White Cedar

And here's Apparition Homme:

Top Notes: Mandarin, Anise, Rhubarb
    Middle Notes: Green Tea Leaves, Black Pepper
    Base Notes: Liquorice Wood and Vetiver

Maybe the Apparition Homme will be a bit sharper and yet fruitier. I don't know if having one will mean not needing the other.

Seems interesting. The original Mat; Male is a very floral fresh (light spicy) scent. Mat; Very Male is definitely moving in the heavier direction. However, the mid notes seem very fresh, would be interesting to test out.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

Yvan

I just checked the Sephora website, and it looks like they've got this in stock (again). *But an internet search shows Sephora's the only western internet company selling it, besides the Russian and Japanese sites. *I'm weighing whether I should buy one blind, as some guys here have said they like it, and the notes are appealing. Then again, maybe it'll be at a local Sephora store to test.

My local Sephora doesn't have this out. I've been keeping an eye out for it since I saw it here and I've used up all my blind budget this month. (Actually, for this YEAR but...)

I'm very interested in this one as well and i've tried the Ungaro Apparition women's version which is a nice soft Oriental scent. I would have sprung for it if it was a little cheaper.

I still think of it as toned down version of Lolita Lempicka - which isn't a bad thing.
    I rarely wear sweet orientals like Lempicka during the day, but I'd have no problem wearing Very Mat Male at any time.
    I'm annoyed with myself for not buying it when I had the chance.
    Renato

Yvan

I just went to Sephora to spray some of this on. *I sprayed on about 6 half to full sprays on the wrist, and it's noticeable but not loud. *It reminds me of Gucci pour Homme without the pepper and incense (at least some guys say the Gucci has an incense note), plus of course the Gucci doesn't have the licorice or aniseed notes that Very Male has; while I'm comparing the 2, I'll add that Very Male does not seem to have as much volume (intensity) as the Gucci, and the Gucci seems to have a more distinct character than Very Male. *I haven't tried the Lempicka, so I can't compare that. *As you know, Black Code also has aniseed, and at present, I would still prefer Black Code over Very Male. *I find Black Code has way more presence on me, and I get this sandalwood drydown (that's part of the drydown on me anyway) that lingers lightly for hours; that one lasts really well on me. *I will say that I find Very Male has less aniseed but more of a cedary, harder woody quality than Black Code, which I find has a softer, sandalwood-type quality.

Mainly what I notice with Very Male is a fairly equal balance of wood that smells like it's burning, but not too smoky, and the licorice or aniseed. *The licorice is not sweet on me. *Mixed in with the licorice is a coffee-type note, so it isn't a true licorice, it's more of a licorice-coffee note or blend (that's what they mean by Sambucca, I guess); the coffee isn't too loud, but it is definitely there, and it probably helps to keep the licorice from getting too sweet; I wouldn't say the coffee's bitter, but it leans in that direction. And overall, it seems to be a rather dry scent on me, though it is warm. *Also, after about 2 hours, it's fading rather quickly, or getting closer to the skin. *

My verdict for a first wearing is that it's good, it's nice, and it's different in some ways from others I've tried, but it doesn't bowl me over. *I don't know if I'm even willing to sample it a 2nd time, partly because of my first opinion, and partly because I've got enough bottles already (25 is enough for me, anyway); we'll see if I reach for it again. *However, I can see how a lot of guys would like this; it's a good masculine smell.

I tried this at Sephora and I get a vert stron gblack licorie note at the start. *I agree its not sweet licorice like Lolita but a very strong black licorice almost like you get from chewing on a piece of licorice wood. *This eventually dries down to something very similar to Rive Gauche pour homme on me. *Not a bad scent but not something I think I'll but considering I already own Lolita and Rive.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells
    I agree its not sweet licorice like Lolita but a very strong black licorice almost like you get from chewing on a piece of licorice wood.
    Have you done this!? [smiley=lolk.gif]

Seriously, its crap and a disappointment to me - I guess my expectations were a bit out of line - I was hoping for a strong woody scent - something in the realm of Bel Ami or CdG Avignon - but no dice... Synthetic top notes of "fresh" over what I guess would be licorice wood - uninspiring to me

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    [quote author=AZsmells link=1122282083/0#9 date=1125925795]I agree its not sweet licorice like Lolita but a very strong black licorice almost like you get from chewing on a piece of licorice wood.
    Have you done this!? *[smiley=lolk.gif]

Seriously, its crap and a disappointment to me - I guess my expectations were a bit out of line - I was hoping for a strong woody scent - something in the realm of Bel Ami or CdG Avignon - but no dice... Synthetic top notes of "fresh" over what I guess would be licorice wood - uninspiring to me [/quote]

Yes licorice sticks like these:
    http://houseofnubian.com/IBS/simplec...id/656813.html

Mat Very Male doesn't have fresh top notes, the licorice is in the top notes over a Rive Gauche-like drydown which isn't fresh smelling to me.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

All I get from this is pure LIQUORICE. It dominates all the other notes on my skin. IMO it's liquorice in a bottle, which I don't find appealing at all. Maybe because I don't enjoy eating the candy.

Yvan

I forgot to mention it seemed pretty linear to me. Except for the Sambucca Accord, I didn't even notice any top notes, and there was no real development. Didn't notice the bergamot or the lotus flowers, or the patchouli, for that matter.

I agree with teflondog and Yvan. Sambuca/anise/licorice is all I can smell. It's not strong, but it's a linear, dead simple fragrance dominated by a single note.
    Do you smell what I smell? Vive le Crystal Flaçon!

Quote Originally Posted by d4
    I agree with teflondog and Yvan. Sambuca/anise/licorice is all I can smell. It's not strong, but it's a linear, dead simple fragrance dominated by a single note.
    I disagree, if you want dead simple, try Etro's Anice.
    Very Mat Male is more complex than that one.
    I bought the Etro one and am happy with it - which makes me doubly annoyed that I didn't buy this one when I had the chance.
    I'm not really a fan of licorice or sambuca, and hate any liqueur labelled "Anise", so I find it curious that I'm strangely attracted to scents of this nature.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    I disagree, if you want dead simple, try Etro's Anice.
    Very Mat Male is more complex than that one.
    I bought the Etro one and am happy with it - which makes me doubly annoyed that I didn't buy this one when I had the chance.
    I'm not really a fan of licorice or sambuca, and hate any liqueur labelled "Anise", so I find it curious that I'm strangely attracted to scents of this nature.
    Renato
    I'm exactly the opposite: I like Sambuca and anise-flavored liqueurs and candies, but they appeal to me not at all as fragrances.

I'll have to take your word on the Etro; I've never come across it.
    Do you smell what I smell? Vive le Crystal Flaçon!

Quote Originally Posted by d4

I'm exactly the opposite: I like Sambuca and anise-flavored liqueurs and candies, but they appeal to me not at all as fragrances.

I'll have to take your word on the Etro; I've never come across it.
    Interesting how we're coming at this from totally different directions.
    Renato