Code of Conduct

Default After Shave Gels - Ouch

To date I'd only ever tried two aftershave gels - 212 Men and Malazia Uomo. In each case I said "ouch" while applying them, particularly for the Malazia. And I didn't feel the results on my skin, in terms of moisturising effect and getting rid of the dried out skin look, were as good as with Balms.

The other day I came across a sale where I bought a Nautica Latitude Longitude 100ml EDT (A$20), 200ml Moisturiser (A$10), and "Comforting Aftershave Gel" 125ml (A$10). That equates to US$28 for the lot of them, which I thought quite good value.

The only problem is that today I applied the Comforting Aftershave Gel, and again said "Ouch, ouch ...... ouch".

What is it with these Gels that they sting - admittedly not as bad as does a regular aftershave splash - but still relatively unpleasant?

Does anybody else dislike them? Or like them?
    Renato

Default Re: After Shave Gels - Ouch

Try Trumpers' Rose Skin Food. Streets ahead of any commercial after shave balm. A light rosewater scent which fades quickly and doesn't interfere with fragrance. (it dries down to a faint stale beer smell for a little while, but don't let that worry you!)

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Hey Renato,

This is the only after-shave gel that I use now, and the only one that hasn't made me say "ouch".
    It's just great stuff, as is the rest of the line.

http://www.menessentials.com/oxid.ph...51246.80879105

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Hi Slim and Ged,
    The products you recommend are aftershave balms - and I don't have a problem with any balm I've tried, though some are better than others, all do a fairly creditable job - including the ones often attacked because they contain alcohol.

My problem is with the aftershave gels - all the ones I've tried are clear and viscous, unlike the milky balms.
    Renato

Probably they sting because there is some sort of acid in them. I prefer aftershave balm every time. American Crew is the one I frequently use.
    Arte et labore

Hi, I think you have problems with aftershave gels because they often contains menthol, which is very irritating *:'(. For the same reason I can not use even shaving foams with menthol and/or eucalyptol.
    Now I use a fragrance free moisturizer usually with sunscreen and I've solved every problem in this regard. Moreover an unscented cream doesn't interfere with colognes. 8-)

Renato, this is a weird coincidence.

When I saw this thread title, the first thing that came to my mind was...yep, Latitude Longitude aftershave gel. Yesterday I was rummaging around my box of aftershaves, deos, and shower gels, etc, and I pulled out my Latitude Longitude shampoo and the aftershave gel.

CRIPES, the aftershave gel burns like the Dickens! Painful stuff. Actually, I barely ever wore LL. I wore a sample once and my best friend was really impressed by it so I bought a big gift set. I think maybe the reason I don't like it is because of that painful aftershave gel. Really, that stuff feels like putting acid on your face.

So I concur, using Latitude Longitude aftershave gel is a painful experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Waldemar
    Hi, I think you have problems with aftershave gels because they often contains menthol, which is very irritating *:'(. For the same reason I can not use even shaving foams with menthol and/or eucalyptol.
    Now I use a fragrance free moisturizer usually with sunscreen and I've solved every problem in this regard. Moreover an unscented cream doesn't interfere with colognes. 8-)
    I've just checked the ingredients, and menthol isn't one of them. Which of the other ingredients causes the problem is anyone's guess.

I suppose what I find doubly annoying is the fact that Mennen Skin Bracer aftershave splash is a splash which is nearly as good as a balm, despite it's being full of alcohol - I don't say Ouch when I use it. Yet despite all their ingredients, aftershave gels are more uncomfortable to use than that particular splash.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    Renato, this is a weird coincidence.

When I saw this thread title, the first thing that came to my mind was...yep, Latitude Longitude aftershave gel. *Yesterday I was rummaging around my box of aftershaves, deos, and shower gels, etc, and I pulled out my Latitude Longitude shampoo and the aftershave gel.

CRIPES, the aftershave gel burns like the Dickens! *Painful stuff. *Actually, I barely ever wore LL. *I wore a sample once and my best friend was really impressed by it so I bought a big gift set. *I think maybe the reason I don't like it is because of that painful aftershave gel. *Really, that stuff feels like putting acid on your face.

So I concur, using Latitude Longitude aftershave gel is a painful experience!
    Wow - that is a coincidence indeed.
    Be assured, however, the Ouch you get from Latitude Longitude is as nothing compared to that from Malazia Uomo. But to make matters even worse, after suffering all that pain and having a totally red face, the vetiver scent from the Malazia gel barely lasts 15 minutes, whereas the EDT's vetiver lasts all day long. At least I have something to show (smell?) from applying the LL one.

Latitude Longitude is an odd scent to me for the reason that I don't know when to wear it. Part of it smells like a summer scent, and the bottle gives that impression too. But it is very laden with exotic woods, which then makes me think its more a wintery scent. The result is that I tend to bypass it both in summer and winter. But as I now have two bottles of it, I will make it a point to wear it more often - it really is a wonderfully different and interesting scent.
    Renato

Hi Renato,
    The one I am using and can recommend is Hei by Alfred Sung. I picked it up on ebay and quite pleased with results. No sting sensation whatsoever. It is a quick absorbing and with quite pleasant smell, not very strong.
    By my favourite is still Nivea Men for sensitive skin (I know, it is a balm, not a gel though).
    Cheers,
    Alex

Most likely its the alcohol in the Aftershave gel thats giving you the 'ouch'! I know 212 men has alcohol in it, most doesn't. Thats actually one of the best aftershave gel I tried, the scent is better than the EDT. 212 Men's shower gel is phenomena as well.

Check on the bottle to see if its alcohol free, and there will be less 'ouch' for you! You reminds me of that kid in the 'Home Alone' movie!

I cannot say too much for gels exactly, but sometimes I like a little burn. I have 2 aftershaves (both labeled as balms) that I switch hit between depending on mood. I have the Nivea aftershave w/ menthol that seriously burns like hell for about 3 seconds and then mellows into a very nice cooling sensation. I also used Art of Shaving aftershave which is luxuriously rich and creamy soothing goodness that doesn't burn at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Hi Renato,
    The one I am using and can recommend is Hei by Alfred Sung. I picked it up on ebay and quite pleased with results. No sting sensation whatsoever. It is a quick absorbing and with quite pleasant smell, not very strong.
    By my favourite is still Nivea Men for sensitive skin (I know, it is a balm, not a gel though).
    Cheers,
    Alex
    Hi Alex,
    Good to hear that there is one gel around that doesn't sting. I may have to apply some Nivea or Rexona balm, before applying the gel next time.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by eau_de_amour
    Most likely its the alcohol in the Aftershave gel thats giving you the 'ouch'! I know 212 men has alcohol in it, most doesn't. Thats actually one of the best aftershave gel I tried, the scent is better than the EDT. 212 Men's shower gel is phenomena as well.

Check on the bottle to see if its alcohol free, and there will be less 'ouch' for you! You reminds me of that kid in the 'Home Alone' movie!
    It's not alcohol free - but though alcohol should be a problem, it's never been a problem in Mennen Afta or Mennen Skin Bracer or in the other numerous cheap balms I've tried. The other ingredients usually swamp out sting effect.
    Renato