Code of Conduct

Default Are head and body shower gels/shampoos worth it?

Hi,
    I just made a few recent purchases (all retail boxed versions, no testers), got some damn good deals IMO, but the seller also has shower gels, now I am thinking, either I can get the shower gels (6.7oz each) for the frags I purchased or I can get another frag....this is what I got so far

'Z' Zegna 100mL shower gel $0.99
    1.7oz Ralph Lauren Romance Silver $22
    1.7oz Cool Water Deep $10.50
    1.7oz Hugo Baldessarini Del Mar $11.00
    3.4oz cK Eternity Gift set (cologne, after shave, shower gel) $32

Shipping will be free as I have a coupon that will negate those charges....

I am considering D&G PH but I am also looking at the shower gels for Romance Silver and CW Deep....

Do Shower gels prolong the scent? improve sillage?

what to do what to do....

Default Re: Are head and body shower gels/shampoos worth i

I just bought two 6.8 oz. Diptyque Body Gels for $28 each from Luscious Cargo: Eau D'Elide and Eau Lente. It was rather self indulgent, for sure, but they are worth every penny. Top quality and very rich lather. Put the frags on after showering and you are ready for anything!

Sometimes, they are worth it. Depends on the scent, though.

For example, all the Thierry Mugler shower gels are excellent, along with the Mugler Cologne bar soap...they lather really well, don't leave your skin dry, and add quite a bit of lasting power to your scent (as if A*Men wasn't potent enough already). But, then again, Clarins Labs developed them, so no surprise there.

I haven't tried many others, but I know for sure that there are some stinkers out there (pun intended).
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

If you do decide to go with D&G, the shower gel is fantastic. It has a powdery essense just like the cologne that creates an aura on its own. When I don't want to wear something straight out, I usually just shower with this and I still smell great for hours. Most shower gels mildly compliment their corresponding fragrance, but I don't think they're worth a ballpark of $20-30. If you can get D&G in a set (not hard to find), go with a shower gel - you won't be disappointed!

Yes, if you get them for free,hehe. Just kidding, I actually love Polo Blue Shower Gel, so refreshing in the morning!
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

I just picked up the Cool Water Deep shower gel and going for Romance Silver's as well...

as for D&G i got outbid, so will try my luck again.
    haven't seen the shower gel for it though....

Bidding manually is so passe! Try this!

www.esnipe.com

99.5% I've won my bids and I can cancel up to 5 minutes before the bidding ends.
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

The best shower gels in the fragrance line that I ever used were

Issey Miyake (much better than the fragrance itself, distinct grapefruit smell added, a must have) and Escape (awesome)

just make sure the stuff is not expired though

I actually bought and use more body products that the edt. Some are good, others mediocre and theres some which is a complete waste of money.

Unlike EDT, you can't test them so its more of a blind purchase even if you buy retail.

Happy for example has good shower gel but terrible deodorant stick. CK's body products are generally one of the best around, they actually smell better than the edt, as has been mentioned above - Escape is good! Eternity and Obsession is great as well. Issey Miyake'r body product range is the best. Not the shower gel though, the scent is too light to add to the layering. Try the aftershave balm and deodorant, they are incredible. Some designer brands took extra effort to produce their body products, they are the higher quality ones. You can tell by the extra ingredients they put into the range - Issey for example has horse-tail extract in their deodorant stick.

I haven't tried the ones you mention, but RL's romance (original) is one of the worst, smells nothing like the edt. Polo (original) is good though, if you can find them - the shower gel is hard to find.

No in general. However, there are a few good ones out there but question the price.

If it's a fragrance I really like, and it's available in the shower gel, I get it. Simple. It's worth it. I have Lorenzo Villoresi's "Uomo" in the shower gel and Frederic Malle's "Vetiver Extraordinaire" in gel as well.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

To be honest, I have only tried two shower gels of this kind, and those are the ones I currently use: Pi and Xeryus Rouge. I like them both, and I guess I will buy some others in the future as well. But, the price has to be extremely reasonable...You know, I prefer to buy actual frags after all.

When I use my cheap shower gels, I pour a big dollop into one of those mesh shower gel applicators and give myself a good washing. I like shower gels because, unlike plain soap, I don't have to wash the shower area out as often.

Used in this way, I'd go through a 1.7 oz designer shower gel after 3 or 4 washes - hardly worth it at all. But ask any knowledgeable Sales Assistant, and she'll tell you that you DO NOT use shower gels in this manner. The idea is that you
    a. Apply a tiny amount of designer shower gel to a sponge,
    b. Quickly get youself out of the shower stream (turn it off if you have to),
    c. Quickly apply the lathered up gel all over your body, maybe in your hair as well, and finally
    d. Jump back under the shower stream and quickly rinse it off and get out of the shower.

This process embeds scent inside your skins pores, which is released later (see Grant's explanation in the FAQ at the main Basenotes site).

Thus designer shower gels are meant to be used as a form of layering their respective scents. Used in this economical manner, shower gels are worth it - particularly if it is a favourite scent that you want to have applied from head to toe.

I've got quite a few shower gels - most accumulated from gift packs - and this layering business which was explained to me by the SA (and which I later had confirmed in Basenotes FAQ), certainly does work.
    Renato