Code of Conduct

Default A Month's Worth of Thoughts on Scents

Hey guys,

I said I was gonna stay away for a month to get things in order, and I did. I was feeling terrible so I started going to the gym and I hired a trainer to kick my ass into shape. Also, I put the drobe in a box, taped it up and got my mind off cologne and all that jazz for a month.

Well, I feel pretty good. I did get into the drobe a bit early because once I started working out and feeling better I figured why the hell not. (I did happen to sneek a peak at Serps "Terre d'Hermes" thread, and I haven't seen such a stimulating thread in ages. I wish there were more threads like that.) But yeah, I feel alot better about my life at this point. (Of course that damn new Morrissey album is gonna come out in two days and probably wreck everything )

Enough about all that. Time to talk shop.

OK. I don't know if I mentioned it before, but one of my friends has seen my drobe (100+) and he was impressed and surprised. We've been buddies for 15 years and he was shocked at how much I was into this hobby and the investment I had made, and the effort I had put into keeping it like a dirty secret. Anyway, he had told his wife about it and she didn't believe it, so I had to break out the drobe for her (and telling the story behind each scent). She sniffed each one and put them into groups of ones she liked and ones she disliked. She hated almost all of my CdGs, L'Eau Bleue Issey, D&G By Man, Cuiron, PdE, Versace Man, and ESPECIALLY Kouros. She couldn't push the bottle far enough away from her... She liked Himalaya, Black Jeans, B*Men, A*Men, ST Dupont Signature...but her FAVORITE? You're not going to believe it...Kouros Cologne Sport! Actually Kouros Cologne Sport Summer was her #1, and she liked Kouros Cologne Sport almost as much.

So she ABHORRED Kouros and yet LOVED Kouros Cologne Sport. Interesting. I will say that this girl doesn't have a huge enthusiasm for the scent thing. My buddy is a great artist, but he wears AdG...and he likes it, but its so wrong for him IMO. He needs to have a few "artsy" scents in his drobe. He has expressed a desire to go shopping with me and have me help him pick out something good. Of all the scents in my drobe that he liked, he was smitten by Paul Smith London. As time goes on, I think its really an amazing scent. I've worn it to work several times this month and have gotten compliments.

And my friend found my sample of Jicky...he tried to unscrew the vial lid, and in the process, spilled it all over himself. He didn't know what to think, but it was perfect. My friend is often told that he looks like a young Sean Connery, and as such he LOVES Sean Connery. So all I had to do was tell him that Jicky is a fave of Mr Connery, and he was thrilled. But then before he left, I made him spray some Kouros on his neck, without his wife's knowledge. I told him "She may hate this stuff now, but an hour from now when you get home, let me know what happens!"

Also other designer scents that I have revisited have been DKNY Men and Versace Black Jeans. I can't get over how much I love Black Jeans. There is something about the way that iris note is used in this scent that is unlike the setting of iris in most other scents. It's so deep and vivid, not powdery. This girl at work the other night stopped in her tracks and came up to smell my chest, asking me what I was wearing. It was Black Jeans, and she really liked it.

On a side note, here's a cruel trick I played... At my job, two of the other bartenders had a "mustache contest" in which they both agreed to put a dollar in the jar everyday, and whoever kept their mustache the longest got to keep the money, and the one who shaved first was the loser and for extra punishment had to drink a whole bottle of maple syrup at the beginning of the shift. Well, my buddy lost and so he had to drink a bottle of maple syrup...and man did he ever feel sick. So just to mess with him, I pulled out my sample of Dior's Eau Noire (which smells like maple syrup), put some on, and got up in his space all night long, forcing him to smell it. Oh, he was SO sick. I'm a dick sometimes.

I have a ton of other things that happened this month, but I'll unpack them all later...

See you,

Indie

PS. Today, there was a really bad storm and it rained and a really nice breeze came though the windows. I have a tradition of getting out the single malt Scotch on those days, but with my whole workout schedule, I can't drink today...So I had to get creative. I wore Annick Goutal Vetiver. It smells like single malt with none of the ill effects!!!

PPS. I HATE, HATE, HATE that new Nautica Voyage scent!!! Disgusting. I may have to give up reading GQ if they keep putting those strips in there. This fragrance has passed Z Zegna and Polo Black on the list of fragrances that make me ill.

Default Re: A Month's Worth of Thoughts on Scents

Nice to see you back again!

Oh, and if you don't like the magazine smelling strips for Nautica Voyage, there's a reason that they make scissors...

Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Welcome back!!! I remember your leaving thread and it was sad...

It sounds like you've kept yourself busy. I didn't know that drinking and working out went together like that but I only go by myself so I don't really know anything about what I am doing.

I love to see that new people are interested in scents. People just don't realize how much they like smells until someone opens their eyes.

It will be good to see you post again.

You always have such cool stories, Indie! Nice to see you back! Waiting for the new Morrissey album myself...what does angst smell like? :-/

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Hey, I'm glad your back! Not that I was hear long enough to know you well, but I do have fond memories of a particular post of yours. It involved turning BB into a hockey puck. So yea, I hope you're back to stay. Also, I'm pretty curious, what did she think of the Kouros after an hour?

Quote Originally Posted by The Giraffe
    *Also, I'm pretty curious, what did she think of the Kouros after an hour?

I don't know. I haven't heard from my friend yet. I think that any woman who can't appreciate Kouros is probably a cold fish in the sack. I really mean that.

But since she liked Kouros Cologne Sport, perhaps there's hope for her...

Welcome back, Indie.
    Peace ~ Markymark

Welcome back from me as well, Indie.

Welcome back. You left just as I came on board. Your going away post surprised me - I didn't expect anything so heavy and introspective on this board. I've since learned this can be a pretty heavy place!

Anyway, welcome back.

PS. I don't buy the Kouros hype...and I KNOW for certain - from experience - that your last statement on it is completely untrue!

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    [quote author=The Giraffe link=1144023413/0#4 date=1144025953]
    *Also, I'm pretty curious, what did she think of the Kouros after an hour?

I don't know. *I haven't heard from my friend yet. *I think that any woman who can't appreciate Kouros is probably a cold fish in the sack. *I really mean that.

But since she liked Kouros Cologne Sport, perhaps there's hope for her...[/quote]

LOL

Welcome back Indie, so nice to hear from you again. I hope you got everything sorted out like you wanted to.

Maisonstinky
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Welcome back, Indie!

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy

I don't know. I haven't heard from my friend yet. I think that any woman who can't appreciate Kouros is probably a cold fish in the sack. I really mean that.

But since she liked Kouros Cologne Sport, perhaps there's hope for her...
    I agree with you. It's surprised me quite often how... Energetic and demanding... A certain lady friend of mine gets when I wear Kouros. It's like a switch gets flicked from "Just a sweet friend" to "Raging bundle of hormones"

Welcome back, Indie.

Welcome back my friend, we sure have missed you.

MMM

Welcome back Ted!!!
    I wish I had enough smelling some gourmands too when I want to eat sweet things, hehe... :-X

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    Waiting for the new Morrissey album myself...what does angst smell like? * :-/

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain, of course.
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Welcome back, storyteller! ;D

Oops, here is a thread I appearenlty missed. I noticed you were back in the CdG polls a few days back, but I guess this is the best place to say hi to you again and welcome back, which I'm glad you are. Hi and welcome!

Welcome back Indie Guy.

The Morrissey album is great, btw.

Great to have you back!

I like a lot of your stuff, A*Men, D&G,DK and black jeans but i can't say i love Kouros...i think black jeans has a certain fahrenheit quality to it right?
    Polo black is not good to me either...