Code of Conduct

Thread: Timbuktu?  

Default Timbuktu?  

May be able to get 100ml at a decent price. For L'Connoisseurs de L'Artisan, where does this one fall on the spectrum of all their scents?

There is no Nose....

Default Re: Timbuktu? *

I find this to be my least favorite! I even prefer smelling like peanut butter (Bois Farne) over this one. It just doesn't appeal to me at all. I put it all the way at the lowest point of the spectrum. It is sad because this is my favorite house too. It is a shame to dislike one of their fragrances so much.

I'm really not a fan of this one...

Default Re: Timbuktu?  

I don't care for it either. To me there is just a nasty bathroom cleaner thing going on in the top notes. I think it's a shame because it lasts a long time. Personally, I am looking forward to their new scent based on absynthe.

I once owned a hamster and something in this fragrance reminds me of that hamster... this one shuffles on the dirty produce end of the spectrum.
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

Damn! Thanks for the heads up! (Or bottoms up, apparently)
    There is no Nose....

Very butch earthy, woody, dry one. I don't like this one.

One of my faves! This one is skin chemistry dependent. It smells completely different on me than it does my GF, and both versions are divine.

It's very dry and "dirty". Something about it smells animalic but not in a sexy way. I like woody notes but this one is pushing it. I still find it interesting, but not something that I want to smell like.

Why So Serious?

Timbuktu smells like sweet stone, insense and make-up to me. :-X This is my least favorite L'Artisan as well.

[smiley=lartisan.gif]
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Creed Spice & Wood
    5. Bond 9 Harrods Oud

Another non-fan of this one. I owned it for exactly two wearings before promptly swapping it away. I thought ( from a sample vial ) that it was similar to Dzing!. But after full wearings of it, it's not even close! A very "dry" feel to it and not in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX
    Timbuktu smells like sweet stone, insense and make-up to me. :-X
    what is sweet stone?

The ONLY L'Artisan I wouldn´t like to own. To dry and musty for my taste.

MMM

Okay let me try triangulate a little bit. For all those that don't Timbuktu, do you like, say M7, which is also dry and woody?
    There is no Nose....

Love M7, dislike Timbuktu.

MMM

Timbuktu smells like Sen-Sens to me...

http://www.rauscountrystore.com/cart...?product_ID=48
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

It reminds me of Comme des Garcons 2, but much dryer and with a burnt note.
    I love it!

I like M7 and am *neutral towards Timbuktu
    *I won't scoff at those who feel that they can pull it off

Quote Originally Posted by Vinterdroppe
    It reminds me of Comme de Garcons 2, but much dryer and with a burnt note.
    I love it!
    Wow, now I really have to sample it!

I actually really love this one. It's very dry, woody, and peppery. There is a breezy green top note right out of the bottle that really doesn't last very long. From there its straight to a dirty spice market. I have recieved many compliments from this one from people who are generally brutally honest with their opinions. Get a sample and see what you think!

Quote Originally Posted by LostboyR
    I actually really love this one. It's very dry, woody, and peppery. There is a breezy green top note right out of the bottle that really doesn't last very long. From there its straight to a dirty spice market. I have recieved many compliments from this one from people who are generally brutally honest with their opinions. Get a sample and see what you think!

I have received brutal comments by people who generally compliment me

Well, maybe not brutal, but you know what I mean. The drydown smells so much like whatever my uncle wears that even if I liked it, I probably would not wear it. It kind of reminds me of Drakkar Noir at first.
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Wrist to wrist for 2 1/2 now, M7 vs Timbuktu, I still like Timbuktu best and no nasty top notes to choke through. Now, M7 develops and its nice. Timbuktu is more linear, and I find dry note mesmerizing. It is a bit sharp bordering on sour, but somehow the vetiver balances that out for me. It's Noxema time now, because my wrists need to be girls again!
    Please, spritz responsibly.

I like M7 but do not like Timbuktu. It's very dry, almost like fragrant wood ashes with some very dry spices. It just smells musty, dusty, and burnt out to me (like the scent has been burned up or something).

I like Timbuktu and have liked it so much that I bought a bottle for my SO who also fell in love with it. There!
    He wears it admirably. I can't stop sniffing.
    To me it's dry wood and vetiver and very very inviting.
    M7 was not to my liking.

I like it, too, and get compliments when I wear it. Very dry and woody, but I don't find any animalic dirtyness in it. I find it very similar to Idole, but much dryer.

Considering the different ways this has been described, this has got to be one of those chameleon scents. Also, when I look at the notes, I imagine something different from what I get on my skin.

I've tested it twice in the last couple weeks. On my skin, vetiver is the main event. But it is a vetiver tempered a bit by the warmth of fruit and patchouli. The net effect on my skin makes it a refreshing summer scent, but without being too sharp or too dry.

So far, I like this one a lot.

Got a sample from Luckyscent, tried it on my husband, and the only note we got was DEET. Pure bug spray. No drydown, no nothing. Just bugspray. Must be a chameleon scent, as hypothesized above. Went nutty over CdGs Avignon and Oarzazate, though!

Timbuktu

Nectar of the gods...............................IMHO

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

I see this thread has been lifted from april, and that I have answered in it before, but looking through it again I found it fascinating how different the opinions are on this one.

I still think it´s a simply wonderful and original vetiver. This is one of the few scents my mum has complemented me on; wow, you smell really good today! (translated of course), she exclamated when I came close, and then after a few hours she said again: seriously that scent is really nice.

I had a sample and remember liking it a lot. The fact that so many people say they don't like it is a good indicator that you should acquire it.

Whenever I hear someone use terms such as "bathroom cleaner", "hamster cages" and other generally vague and fragmented descriptions, I know they most likely haven't even begun to grasp what the fragrance is all about. I prefer to embrace rather than sniff.

"Very butch earthy, woody dry one. I don't like this one." - Sounds like something I'd like.

"Something about it smells animalic but not in a sexy way. I like woody notes but this one is pushing it. I still find it interesting but not something I want to smell like." - This also sounds good. "animalic but not in a sexy way." ? I have no idea what that means. To me or others it may be profoundly sexy. "animalic...pushing it...interesting..." Sounds good.

Like Octo, I have had the experience that it smlls great on my GF, but horrible on me. I find there to be a note in there that is very shrill. On good days, that reminds me of m7 fresh's high-pitched falsetto bit, but on bad days I feel like its a smell akin to the sound of a TV left on with no transmission coming through: "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    but on bad days I feel like its a smell akin to the sound of a TV left on with no transmission coming through: "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"
    That's it. Don't buy it. The consummate description. I do like that one though Joel.

The perceptions I get are that Timbuktu is "unusual" and can be a little sour and sweaty based on first impressions. It's not pretty, and often takes time for many people to understand and like it, or not.

Definitely one I want to try.

I think it would be interesting to get 10 basenoters into one room and apply it to all. I think it would play so differently on different skin that it would seem like three or four different fragrances.

Overcome By Fumes

Just got a raving compliment for my sotd today. Office staff member says, that's the best ever--what is it?

Tim bucked who?

This is one I almost passed by--It was terrible on the card, but great on my skin. Excellent frag!

Just plain old green wood to me - nothing distinctive. Not bad, though.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

One of my favorite L'Artisans. I love woody, smoky scents, and this one is pretty special among those.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

So far, this is my favorite of the L'Artisans. I received my first 5 samples last week from Beauty Cafe (Timbuktu, Passage D'Enfer, Mechant Loup, Mure et Musc Extreme, and Dzing!) and have now had a chance to try all of them.

Timbuktu came across to me as being very dry and woody--like an oaky chardonnay. It transported me to a spice trading outpost somewhere in the hot, dry desert. Like some of the aformentioned posts, it reminded me of YSL M7 in the beginning but certainly took a life of its own after the initial top notes began to wear off. I couldn't keep my nose off of my arm all day long. And fantastic lasting power. Very masculine. Superb!

I guess this fragrance continues to surprise me. I originally bought this as a summer scent, and it worked great for that. Then I put it away and switched to spice scents for winter. But a few weeks ago I decided to give it a winter try. Boy was I shocked. It smelled awful! So bad I washed it off after 30 minutes. Then I wondered if I could ever like it again.

Last week I had on some CdG Kyoto, and for some reason I decided to spray some Timbuktu on the other hand. To compare and contrast the two. Wow! I could not believe the Timbuktu. It smelled great! And it smelled more warm than cold, which makes it work for winter. Which is also funny, because in the summer is smells more cold than warm.

This stuff is very odd.

when I tryed Timbutku on the the paper stick, I thought that it's disgusting

But after I got a sample , when I applyed on the skin, I've changed my mind

It' s so masculine, dry, calm, very natural
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Post Re: Timbuktu?  

I received a bottle of this in my first blind trade ever, just two days ago from a fellow Basenoter, and I'm happy I did! I have been very interested in this one for ages, it sounded like something I would love. It indeed is quite dry on my skin, but by no means one dimensional. It's surprising how warm this scent can be considering it's dry and not sweet at all. Subtle beauty that might not be that easy to comprehend at first, this most likely will not wow you, but is the kind of scent you will probably not get tired of, subtle, earthy, multi-faceted and very natural smelling. This seems like a perfect fir for me, if I had a signature scent, this might very well be it. Sillage is very low, which I like, longevity then again is admirable.

I've heard many people complain how it's a sour vetiver scent on their skin. I barely notice it, it's warm patchouli scent on my skin, with awesome spices and incense notes playing in the background. Often I'm sceptical when people try to explain the differerence in opinion with skin-chemistry, here I truly believe it. It really is not that nice on paper, it needs certain skin type to really open up.

Another surprising thing for me is, how easy this is to wear, many reviewers thought the opposite. This is perfectly relaxing comfort scent, and so subtle, I can't see how would it be that hard to pull off.
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 23rd December 2006 at 12:40 PM.

Kudos to docluv45 for "Tim bucked who?"!

Personally, I love the fragrance and so do my co-workers and my DH. I agree that it is different every time I wear it, with spices, roots and ever so subtle touch of vanilla. However, I do not find it very dry or weird. In mood, not by notes alone, I would compare it to Habanita. It lasts, too!

Trust me this stuff grows on you i own 2 l'artisans l'eau du navigateur and vdr and for me this smashes the vdr and is neck and neck with the other obviously taste is subjective but i'd recommend timbuktu anytime.

Off-Scenter

Unhappy Re: Timbuktu?  

The horror! The horror!

Let me start by saying that results with this scent are probably highly dependent upon skin type and chemistry. With that understanding, sampling Timbuktu has to go down as the most horrific fragrance experince I'v ever had. (Miel de Bois is second, A*Men third.)

How can I describe Timbuktu on my skin? Burning plastic, old, dry urine, black pepper, dust, and mildew. Actually made me nauseous when I tried it on, and I was humiliated to leave the scent shop still wearing it. Projects with a megaphone and lasts forever.

Started the morning with Timbuktu. I have to admit it smelled a bit soapy for the first little while, but I've become more satisfied with it as the day has gone on. I would recommend getting a sample and test driving it yourself. It's effects seem to vary so much from person to person.

With the understanding I've only worn a small sample of it for one day, I throughly enjoyed it and would like to pick up a bottle someday. So many people have described various scents as "smokey" and I rarely see it but this cologne, to me, definitely smelled of a kind of vaguely exotic, sweet smoke. I suppose it must be skin-dependent. I remember I tried Mark Birley on the basis of nearly universally positive reviews and it was about half an hour of lemon pledge on me.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I'm one of those who like it. I don't mind dry, woody scents at all. I don't think there's anything harsh in this one--at least not on my skin. It's got a lot of incense notes in it, and karaounde flower, which is kind of a cross between jasmine and orange blossom. I would say this is really more of a woody oriental than a dry woods scent, Michael Edwards notwithstanding.

To my nose, Etro Palais Jamais is much drier and harsher, and yet I still like that one too. Maybe I just have a different skin type, or my taste runs more to burnt woody notes. Oh, well... there's no arguing about taste, I guess.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Wow, I did not know that this one had so many non-friends. I really like this one and it works great on me. Reminds me of CdG 2.

Timbuktu is the only fragrance in my collection that I do not have a definite opinion about.I mean I classify all my fragrances for certain occasions and I know how they react with my skin chemistry, but then there is Timbuktu.One day it is a very clean soapy type of scent , another day a sour,disturbing(in a good way) earthy vetiver.And another grat aspect about it; my wife always compliments me whenever I wear it(she rarely comments about my fragrances).
    It is like a child with unpredictable behaviours.
    I love it------- as I love my 6 year old son.

Post Re: Timbuktu?  

That is so true! Before this I didn't really believe that fragrance could be such a chameleon. You never know what you get, warm patchouli, pungent vetiver or soft and exotic incense smoke. One aspect I'm not so crazy about is this bushy smell of leaves I get some days, reminds me of birch twigs we smash eachother - and ourselves - in midsummer sauna here in Finland . But for all that it is, in my top ten for sure, a masterpiece.

I definitely don't find any significant woody oriental characteristics about it. A crisp, dry woods for sure, astringent, almost bitter.

"...a fresh, spare, subtle beauty...new school...a vetiver, but unlike any other, with a cool, rosy, dawn-like radiance..."

I love it, but....