Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crazy layering

Default Crazy layering

I know that I might lose my basenotes membership for doing this, but I need to live on the edge.

Tomorrow, I will wear two frags. Yes, two. I will layer them lovingly and with a gentle caress of their atomizers, I will unleash a torrent of sexiness upon northern Minnesota.

Kouros Sport on top of Bulgari PH.

Yep.

Any other crazy combinations you are afraid to share?
    Nihil Obstat Ben

My Wardrobe

Default Re: Crazy layering

Last time I tried layering it didn't work out too well. I layered A*Men and Body Kouros, which I thought seemed like a safe combo, but for some reason it really sucked. Still fun to try though, and I plan on experimenting more in the future. Your choice of layering sounds pretty good, adding some much needed life to BPH.

I think Kouros needs to be layered with something more leathery/tobacco smell? Maybe Aigner Leather? A member wrote to layer Kouros with Body Shop Tobacco Flower, I think it sweetens and blunts the top note of Kouros just a bit.
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

The only "Layering" I do is use the shower gel, body lotion and the parfum of the same fragrance. I never mix my fragrances.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Never remeber NEVER mix fragrances unless you want to repell people

or unless they're SINGLE Note fragrances

Once I layered let me say M7 shower gel (I had a shower with it leaving a persistent trail) with No. 19. it was a heavenly experience: green floral powder+deep woody undertones

Kouros Sport doesn't really have a 'smell' to me so much as a sensation of palpable sexuality. There are notes and whatnot in it, but not enough to overpower even something as light as Bulgari PH.

It changes Bulgari PH from suit-and-tie-in-an-old-dusty-courthouse to suit-and-tie-gettin'-nasty-on-the-dancefloor-like-Robert-Palmer-yeah-baby.

Let me say that I just woke up and am incapable of making much sense.
    Nihil Obstat Ben

My Wardrobe

I don't know how CRAZY this is but....
    Gendarme layered with either Happy or Original Vetiver is VERY NICE!

At Sephora yesterday I inadvertenetly ended up with a combo of Guerlain Vetiver under john varvatos... quite liked it actually.

Quote Originally Posted by rjrober22
    I can imagine Gendarme is very suitable for layering...Will try it when the warmer months come...
    And for you, who said "NEVER layer": that is totally ridiculous, and I guess you have never tried it.

And I know Joel_Cairo will join me on this; Dior Homme layered with Bulgari Black is heavenly

A combination that may seem a little odd but works very well for me when the weather is mild (spring or autumn) is Muscs Koublaï Khän with l'Eau de l'Artisan... the smell of a freshly mown pasture

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by perfectscent

Poppy Cosh! >

Layer what you like discreetly and you can discover some amazing personal blends unique to you. Also it can be a very educational method of discovering why / how some notes / accords work together and others don't.

Layering different perfumes over the years has helped me to recognise which individual notes work on my skin (with my chemistry), which do not and how to recognise combinations / accords which will harmoise or just tear the whole apart.

Perfume is about discovery and exploration and mostly self expression. Even the business minds of perfume are having to recognise this aspect of perfume wearing / enjoyment. Think: Stila, Donna Karan Essences, TBS invent your own scent range and their body oils were a great success years ago which is why they are bringing them back.

If you wish to express yourself by wearing (wisely) two scents at the same time - then go for it! ;D
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist
    Voleur de Roses layered with Tam Dao to make my own version of Czech & Speake No. 88 without the lemon pledge.....sshhhh...don't tell czesc!

I don't want the fragrance cops after me Where can I find this rule?

Blog Entries

Here's Some Combo's to try:

TBS Bergamot Cologne over Guerlain Vetiver
    Aromatics Elixir blended with Ma Griffe = Tobacco / leatherless Cabochard (a great Chypre)
    L'Heure Bleue with Caron Nuit de Noel - they get pretty sultry (ylang-ylang)
    Chanel Coco over YSL M7 - yum!
    Caron Pour Homme over SL MKK - dirty but yummy sex! Better than Musc Ravageur
    Opium Pour homme over Jungle L'Elephant
    Balenciaga pour homme over Diesel Zero Plus Masculine

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

KS and BPH really doesn't seem too crazy a mix, to be honest.

I like doing a Rive Gauche, Guerlain Vetiver, and Lorenzo Villoresi Musk. Becomes a great, great night out clubbing scent.

GV and LV Musk is a good combo on its own.

There's also Ungaro III, Voleur de Roses, and a bit of LV Musk - that makes quite a beautiful but melancholy scent.

BTW, I love blending fragrances. I don't see why some people find it a crime.

Update on the Kouros/Bulgari experiment-

It smells great. The drydown keeps changing, and it's very pleasant. For a while there, it smelled like Mechant Loup sans hazelnut. It seems to give off a vanilla/honey accord every now and then. I'm not testing anything else today because I wanted to smell just these two frags in unison.

Cons: No sillage and it's fading fast. Also, a girl said of my Kouros-only arm: "It smells nice, but it smells like something my grandma would wear." Ah well, she hasn't liked many of my frags anyways. There's just no pleasing some people. Oh wait, she liked GIT. I can see why she wouldn't like Kouros.
    Nihil Obstat Ben

My Wardrobe

Its actually not too difficult to come up with something that works. A good rule to follow is to not mix 2 scents from the same family or that feature the same note, though even that is not written in stone. Mixing a fresh citrus and an oriental is probably the easiest to make work because they are so dissimilar. If the frags mixed are too close to each other, it can be a mess. The Kouros/Bulgari experiment is a little more risky, but I can still see it working.

Quote Originally Posted by rjrober22
    Not crazy at all!

Gendarme has amazing versatility and is well suited to layering with many fragrances.
    One spray of Gendarme to the back of the neck, and one spray of OV on each arm.
    Gendarme for the clean backdrop and OV for flavour... yum!

I have layered :
    Insensé with Dolce vita
    laguna Pfemme with minotaure
    4711 with miracle homme
    4711 with coco mademoiselle
    allure homme with egoiste platinum

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    Here's Some Combo's to try:

Aromatics Elixir blended with Ma Griffe = Tobacco / leatherless Cabochard (a great Chypre)
    I love you Moon and I love layering scents; Black cashmere and Bakir for incense heaven.

Oscar Pour Lui on the top of Pi. [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by FatTony
    [quote author=perfectscent link=1143687098/0#4 date=1143707325]Never remeber NEVER mix fragrances unless you want to repell people

Its actually not too difficult to come up with something that works. A good rule to follow is to not mix 2 scents from the same family or that feature the same note, though even that is not written in stone. Mixing a fresh citrus and an oriental is probably the easiest to make work because they are so dissimilar. If the frags mixed are too close to each other, it can be a mess. The Kouros/Bulgari experiment is a little more risky, but I can still see it working. [/quote]

I dunno, my favorite combo is Bvlgari Black and Dior Homme, both of which are powdery orientals...

Issey Miyake and Miracle Aquatonic - it works!

Basenotes Plus

LOTD

Dior Homme + CDG 2 Man
    * * the result?
    *to be discontinued
    Current top 5:
    1. MDCI Chypre Palatin
    2. Guerlain Arsene Lupin (Dandy)

3. Roja Dove Enigma Parfum Pour Homme
    4. Roja Dove Vetiver Extrait
    5. Puredistance M

Currently wearing: Déclaration by Cartier

Quote Originally Posted by FatTony
    [quote author=perfectscent link=1143687098/0#4 date=1143707325]Never remeber NEVER mix fragrances unless you want to repell people

Its actually not too difficult to come up with something that works. A good rule to follow is to not mix 2 scents from the same family or that feature the same note, though even that is not written in stone. Mixing a fresh citrus and an oriental is probably the easiest to make work because they are so dissimilar. If the frags mixed are too close to each other, it can be a mess. The Kouros/Bulgari experiment is a little more risky, but I can still see it working. [/quote]

I really don't see the reasoning behind this. You're bound to create a bigger mess if you start blending polar opposites. I tend to blend fragrances from within the same family/note or at least with some sort of similarity so that the two or three fragrances compliment each other, rather than fight it out and clash. For example, Ungaro III and Voleur de Roses both share a melancholic tone and are both accentuated with the fragrant, rich scent of moist rose petals. What's created is an even more beautiful, moody, romantic rose fragrance.

I also still don't see the kouros/bvlgari blend as risky just because bvlgari, to begin with, is such a light scent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nattygold
    [quote author=moondeva link=1143687098/0#13 date=1143736043]Here's Some Combo's to try:

I love you Moon and I love layering scents; Black cashmere and Bakir for incense heaven.[/quote]

*blush* awww! Thanks babes! :-*

I want to get some Bakir just so I can try your combo - how does it compare to YSL NU or M7?

Usually I`m not layering my frags, as I believe they are pieces of the art.

But sometimes in the morning, I perfume myself - and WOW! there`s some note from the post!
    New scents arrived!

So today I had to layer something.
    And Terre d`Iris on Vetyver Nicolai smells so terribly GOOOD!!!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

givenchy gentleman & czech & speake no 88 works in a strange sort of way

Voleur de Roses + L'Ombre dans L'Eau = Ab Fab!

Burberry Touch and Lauder's Intuition. My own way of trying to "burn through" less-worn frags, but a totally awesome combo.