Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Unforgivable is doing very big business!

I read on WWD.com that according to The NPD Group, Unforgivable by Sean John has been doing an average of $1.5 million in retail sales per week since its February launch, more than double the business of a typical launch. They estimate the fragrance will reach $20 million in retail sales by the end of June.

"It's official now — we are 200 percent above plan and Unforgivable is flying out of the stores," said Sean Combs.

"The brand has been extremely successful — it is the top-selling men's fragrance and third overall," said William Lauder (of Estée Lauder). Only the Lauder brand's women's fragrances Pleasures and Beautiful are currently beating Diddy's scent.
    Sean John has an Unforgivable women's fragrance slated for a spring 2007 launch.

------------------------------------------------------------------

This launch could be compaired to the huge success Estée Lauder/Aramis encountered during the launch of Tommy by Tommy Hilfliger.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Unforgivable is doing very big business!

I need to try this ! Any idea if Sears will stock this if they havent already?

Edit: Anyone know the top to base notes of this frag?

L O L stop it friend Sears will not carry this until it has been out for about 15 years lol...you slay me...

Notes:
    Sicilian Lemon, Italian Bergamot, Green Mandarin, Moroccan Tangerine, Grapefruit, Juniper Leaves, Birch Leaves, Champagne Accord, Mediterranean Air Accord, Tuscan Basil, Florentine Iris, Clay Sage, Lavender, Cashmere Accord, Australian Sandalwood, Amber, Tonka Bean, Rum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I really like Unforgivable but is it really that good or is there so much press on this bottle that people think they should get it. I don't think it is worthy of this amazing accomplishment but I guess if it happened then it has to be something special. I don't think I'll be buying a bottle now. I don't want to keep this trend going. It seems to be a trend to me.

Gator, I know that Sephora has it and Nordsroms does as well. I'm sure you'll find it in one of those two.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYüS…
    I really like Unforgivable but is it really that good or is there so much press on this bottle that people think they should get it. I don't think it is worthy of this amazing accomplishment but I guess if it happened then it has to be something special. I don't think I'll be buying a bottle now. I don't want to keep this trend going. It seems to be a trend to me.

Gator, I know that Sephora has it and Nordsroms does as well. I'm sure you'll find it in one of those two.
    I agree with this - that the press is spurring on the success of this fragrance. Know what would be funny? If Sean Combs is actually purchasing millions of bottles himself just to make it seem extremely successful and popular so that people will want to go out and buy it because people are like that.

I am NOT a fan of this frag...

Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades
    [quote author=EnvYüS… link=1144143649/0#3 date=1144163270]I really like Unforgivable but is it really that good or is there so much press on this bottle that people think they should get it. I don't think it is worthy of this amazing accomplishment but I guess if it happened then it has to be something special. I don't think I'll be buying a bottle now. I don't want to keep this trend going. It seems to be a trend to me.

I agree with this - that the press is spurring on the success of this fragrance. Know what would be funny? If Sean Combs is actually purchasing millions of bottles himself just to make it seem extremely successful and popular so that people will want to go out and buy it because people are like that. [/quote]

It's called advertising :

No, this is a legitimate big-seller, as we were topping out at about $400-500 a weekend this past month. I know we'd like to believe it's a conspiracy or something ridiculous like this, but people really do want this, as with many other celebrity scents, are buying it as such.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Informer
    [quote author=myaccolades link=1144143649/0#4 date=1144163737][quote author=EnvYüS… link=1144143649/0#3 date=1144163270]I really like Unforgivable but is it really that good or is there so much press on this bottle that people think they should get it. I don't think it is worthy of this amazing accomplishment but I guess if it happened then it has to be something special. I don't think I'll be buying a bottle now. I don't want to keep this trend going. It seems to be a trend to me.

I agree with this - that the press is spurring on the success of this fragrance. Know what would be funny? If Sean Combs is actually purchasing millions of bottles himself just to make it seem extremely successful and popular so that people will want to go out and buy it because people are like that. [/quote]

It's called advertising *:

No, this is a legitimate big-seller, as we were topping out at about $400-500 a weekend this past month. *I know we'd like to believe it's a conspiracy or something ridiculous like this, but people really do want this, as with many other celebrity scents, are buying it as such.[/quote]

What I don't like about this scent is it's striking similarity to Creed Millesime Imperial (and, according to others, Sweet Mountain Water and Green Irish Tweed, as well). It's like they took a great scent like MI, threw in some extra fruit, and then marketed it as their own "original creation."

And Puffy is running all the way to the bank -- just like the makers of Axe. Yep, marketing and advertising!
    Peace ~ Markymark

Post Thanks / Like

Since It smells good, no problem at all. But I really do hate this guy. An air head for sure. :-X

Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades
    [quote author=Informer link=1144143649/0#6 date=1144166052][quote author=myaccolades link=1144143649/0#4 date=1144163737][quote author=EnvYüS… link=1144143649/0#3 date=1144163270]I really like Unforgivable but is it really that good or is there so much press on this bottle that people think they should get it. I don't think it is worthy of this amazing accomplishment but I guess if it happened then it has to be something special. I don't think I'll be buying a bottle now. I don't want to keep this trend going. It seems to be a trend to me.

No, this is a legitimate big-seller, as we were topping out at about $400-500 a weekend this past month. *I know we'd like to believe it's a conspiracy or something ridiculous like this, but people really do want this, as with many other celebrity scents, are buying it as such.[/quote]

What I don't like about this scent is it's striking similarity to Creed Millesime Imperial (and, according to others, Sweet Mountain Water and Green Irish Tweed, as well). *It's like they took a great scent like MI, threw in some extra fruit, and then marketed it as their own "original creation."[/quote]

To Puffy Dad's credit, I congratulate him on creating such a decent imitation of such time-honored, wonderful fragrances (Creeds).
    It's easy to say "he just copied MI and added stuff," but I'm sure the knock-off perfume makers would drool over someone who could "just copy" MI.
    It's like saying, "he just copied a Porsche chassis and engine, and added some fruit. It's nothing great."

As they say, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

That said, I won't buy it.
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt
    [quote author=myaccolades link=1144143649/0#7 date=1144167686][quote author=Informer link=1144143649/0#6 date=1144166052][quote author=myaccolades link=1144143649/0#4 date=1144163737][quote author=EnvYüS… link=1144143649/0#3 date=1144163270]I really like Unforgivable but is it really that good or is there so much press on this bottle that people think they should get it. I don't think it is worthy of this amazing accomplishment but I guess if it happened then it has to be something special. I don't think I'll be buying a bottle now. I don't want to keep this trend going. It seems to be a trend to me.

What I don't like about this scent is it's striking similarity to Creed Millesime Imperial (and, according to others, Sweet Mountain Water and Green Irish Tweed, as well). *It's like they took a great scent like MI, threw in some extra fruit, and then marketed it as their own "original creation."[/quote]

To Puffy Dad's credit, I congratulate him on creating such a decent imitation of such time-honored, wonderful fragrances (Creeds).
    It's easy to say "he just copied MI and added stuff," but I'm sure the knock-off perfume makers would drool over someone who could "just copy" MI.
    It's like saying, "he just copied a Porsche chassis and engine, and added some fruit. It's nothing great."

As they say, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

That said, I won't buy it. *[/quote]

Oops, I noticed a typo in my last message: not SWEET mountain water but SILVER mountain water - my memory of names is failing me : (

I think it's going to take a lot for me to purchase this fragrance. Since I already own MI and I find both fragrances realllllly similar, I probably wouldn't buy Unforgivable unless I'm reallllly strapped for cash or if MI is discontinued.

Post Thanks / Like

not to be in any way rude, but hip hop sells bigger now than it ever has and rock sucks S**t now. Whatever happened to classick rock and bands like pearl jam and Live, but to get to my point I think this fragrance is just selling big because of the name and every boy on DA BLOCK is gonna buy it. Just like girls and their Ugs it's gonna be boys and their Unforgiveable. It's not the scent, it's the brand. Peace-----Joe

This is the best scent Lauder has launched for men in over 20 something years. I have been wearing it like a passion since its launch. It has sparked nothing but comments. A very well balanced scent that is long lasting but never overpowering. It took some time for Lauder to get it right. Sad note is it will now be cloned for a long time by Lauder most recent is Red Delicious for men which I detect some of the notes of Unforgivable in it.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could sample the scent itself.
    It looks like (I mean the campaign), for the most part, it's all about marketing and POS
    (reflecting) ... did I think "power of suggestion"? ... Hmmm ... maybe.

As for Puffy, why not "composing" a new "fragrance" duo with, say Paris Hilton? Together they can beat *billion$ out of silly targets, hands down.

Regards, Odor.
    "One man's "cat piss" is another one's "masterpiece" (popular fragrance wisdom)

You can order samples from here. http://www.scentmonkey.com/try-before-buy.php

I also think that it's the best fragrance for men from Estee Lauder. I'm not sure though that it's going to be #1 in Europe

Post Thanks / Like

The website is now live:
    http://www.seanjohnfragrances.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs
    Since It smells good, no problem at all. But I really do hate this guy. An air head for sure. :-X
    So much truth in that, RCavs!

I'm savoring the intensity of this thread like the other posts on Unforgivable a few weeks back. I'm starting to get the impression people want to like this scent if it weren't for the fact that Diddy is behind this scent and that Creed has created an original until now. But I also remember people saying that MI was a weak scent not worth the money.

Now here is Unforgivable standing in the face of adversity here in this forum, and winning instant praise by Diddy's own popularity and by the general consumers' initial impression of the scent from a public standpoint of view. I myself consider it as introducing niche scents into pop culture.

It's a bit elitist to actually think that anything at all should remain amongst a discerning group of people, the French Revolution was a result of this attitude. In a marketing point of view, designer scents was a way to cover a larger portion of the market who wasn't able to purchase their label. Not every woman could afford a Valentino gown or a man an Armani suit, but they could get a 50 ml bottle of their scent from a small portion of their paycheck. Consider getting a little of Creed through Sean Jean's UNFORGIVABLE!

But hey, if one hates Unforgivable just for what it is according to their own tastes, no one can help anyone there. But I really see a problem where someone is dictating what someone should wear because it's similar to the style of Creed.

After reading Helga's website on Luca Turins translation of 'Le Guide', even Luca was bold enough to say that the composition of Fendi's Asja fell short of that glory that it could've been, compared to the creation of Sonia Rykiel's Le Parfum created afterwards, thus obviously implying a close similarity. Therefore, it's all objective, MI can be considered original, but not necessarily a masterpiece.

My addendum to this Unforgivable saga, no intentions to insult anyone on the forum but here only to shed a little rationalization and objectivity in the mix.

Peace! [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Post Thanks / Like

Well said, iMaverick!

It pains me to say this but, really, the fragrance isn't bad. What's keeping ME from buying it is 1) it has the name "Sean Jean" on it, 2) I find it a very big rip off.

Yes, I'm elitist. I like my exclusivity. I don't like owning something where 10 others in my vicinity also own.
    I don't purchase goods according to label but I do stay away from some of them. Why? Well, in this case, I just wouldn't want to tell someone I'm wearing a "Puff Diddy" fragrance. Imagine the embarassment...

I know this approach to perfumery is wrong but when you go out into the world, there are more important things than just the fragrance you're wearing i.e. your image.

"The number 1 fragrance in America." If you repeat that slogan long enough, people will believe it and eventually buy a bottle , maybe. Looks like it's EL's strategy anyhow. Reminds me of their slogan for Tommy. "The Real American Fragrance". I wonder if it this strategy will be succesfull in Europe also.

Wonder if being #1 may keep people from buying it since so many others already... err umm no wait.. people still buy and wear a ot of Polo blue, cool water and aqua di geo.

1) P Diddy, or whatever his name is these days, didn't "create" anything. This is big business, not some artisan slaving away in his basement (or rooftop) to forge a new scent. All he did was put his name on a fragrance that some team of chemists and product managers copied from someone else. At most, he had some input into what he wanted it to smell like (probably handed them a bottle of MI).

2) Let every man, woman, child, and dog in America and beyond buy it for all I care. It will only make my fragrances more distinct when I wear them b/c...

3) This will not be in my 'drobe. Diddy has enough money and won't be getting any of mine, for either his music or his fragrance. I'd rather support true(r) creativity.

Just hope this does not get popular here in the UK, I love my MI and love that fact that people keep saying wow what is that your wearing. I take this news as very bad news.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

I feel that any celebrity who puts their name and face to a fragrance should create it themselves! Okay, maybe that's a bit harsh, but they should play more than a minimal role in it. Yeah, I know, sponsorship, sponsorship, cashola, etc.

I'm just a bit fed up with all these already rich celebs sticking their name onto a product without having the slightest role in creating it. I mean, it's not like they're a nice sounding voice doing the voiceover advertisement for it, they are going way beyond that. "Yo, this is my new men's fragrance. It's uh, it's masculine, yeah, the ladies love it, naw mean? Yo. It's...unforgivable...yo, that doesn't sound right!"

"And this is my new fashion line for teen girls! I love all these pieces, they're so fun and sexy! Oh, I had so much fun designing them!"

Riiiiight.

Pardon any cynicism, please. I'm not really like that. Just slightly irritated about the above things mentioned.

[quote author=Are Pee *link=1144143649/15#24 date=1144270071]I feel that any celebrity who puts their name and face to a fragrance should create it themselves! Okay, maybe that's a bit harsh, but they should play more than a minimal role in it. *Yeah, I know, sponsorship, sponsorship, cashola, etc. *

I'm just a bit fed up with all these already rich celebs sticking their name onto a product without having the slightest role in creating it. *I mean, it's not like they're a nice sounding voice doing the voiceover advertisement for it, they are going way beyond that. *"Yo, this is my new men's fragrance. *It's uh, it's masculine, yeah, the ladies love it, naw mean? Yo. *It's...unforgivable...yo, that doesn't sound right!"

"And this is my new fashion line for teen girls! I love all these pieces, they're so fun and sexy! Oh, I had so much fun designing them!"

Riiiiight.

Pardon any cynicism, please. *I'm not really like that. Just slightly irritated about the above things mentioned.[/quote]

He may not have mixed the scent, but he sure made life hard for the actual makers.

"The scent, Sean John Unforgivable, is not just a name on a bottle—Combs was dead set against that. In fact, his involvement in the creation process was so hands on, he even went so far as to host fragrance sampling sessions with the perfumers in his own kitchen. After 665 attempts, Combs found the mixture that would become Unforgivable."

via http://www.sephora.com/browse/brand_...ntentId=C12973

edit- It would seem that Unforgivable is number 666. The ironing is delicious *

ps- typo intentional
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Aftershave products are available now:

http://store.nordstrom.com/category/...377899~6005477

'Unforgivable is one of the sexiest conversation pieces a man can have. Post-shave invigorator with the luxurious scent of Unforgivable.' ...