Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help!! UPS rejected my shipment...

Greetings Basenoters,
    I need some advice. I am trying to conclude my first swap and UPS has rejected my package. I told them is was a perfume bottle( I know, I'm an idiot), albeit empty, when they asked me and I got a nasty phone call when I arrived home from work stating that they opened my package and labled it 'HAZMAT'. Is this standard practice and if so how do I get around this? God knows that I have received enough fragrance by UPS to drown in. Any advice concerning shipping would be greatly appreciated. My main concern is to get my end of the swap to the person who is waiting for it. Thanks in advance and I apologize if this is a topic that has been done to death!
    -LostboyR=

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help!! UPS rejected my shipment...

I have never received a perfume shipment labeled "Hazmat"
    I think you're being swindled :s
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

Maybe you could try FedEx....SCREW UPS!!
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

hahaha a fragrance is HAZMAT? It must be Angel Men.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course, you could be honest and use the USPS. They will force it to be trucked by ground carriers so it may take a bit longer, but if you have a weakness for truth, that may be your best bet. For some reason, there is this fear that a perfume bottle will become bomb-like when traveling in a plane. I have been tempted to buy some cheap stuff and try to get a bottle to explode just to see if it can be done, but reason sometimes overwhelms curiosity.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe this is a case of an over zealous UPS agent. I have shipped over one hundred fragrance bottles by UPS. I write "cologne" for contents and check "fragile" etc. and never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    For some reason, there is this fear that a perfume bottle will become bomb-like when traveling in a plane.
    Was there really a fear of that? I know that back in the day when the hold wasn't pressurized that perfume would leak out (it happened to my mother with a bottle of Joy coming back from France in the 50's, which she rued for years..) but it would just leak, not explode.

[blue]

LostboyR,

Isn't the whole point of shipping cologne by UPS that they ship it by Ground, hence the UPS Ground, which means the package isn't ever airborne hence avoiding federal regulations about the shipping of alcoholic substance by air? I am assuming you tried to send it UPS Ground. I don't understand why your package was rejected. If I were you, I would file a complaint.

Even if you were sending it UPS 3 day or UPS Express, in which case it becomes an airborne package, I've never heard of UPS rejecting a package because it's cologne. I think Stuigi is correct; it's probably a case of "over zealous UPS agent".

scentemental[/blue]

It is considered hazardous material, and cannot be shipped by Air. Actually it can, but has to be classified as HAZMAT. Every shipment that I get for my store comes by UPS Ground, or FED EX ground or DHL ground.

Anything I import from overseas has to be classified as hazardous material and is handled that way, end up paying more, but that is the cost of doing business.

LostboyR give me a call (813) 657-6773 and explain what exactly happened and I will advice.

Maisonstinky
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Post Thanks / Like

I have never had a problem sending or receiving smells via UPS or the USPS, as long as it's UPS ground or USPS parcel post.

Heck, I've even used Priority Mail occasionally with no problems, but now that I know the rules, I'll be sticking with UPS ground or Parcel Post (I may give FedEx ground a try soon, though).
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

All is well with ryans shipment.....this is his first swap and boy is he really trying his hardest....great guy and really good with communication....kudos too ryan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maisonstinky
    It is considered hazardous material, and cannot be shipped by Air. Actually it can, but has to be classified as HAZMAT. Every shipment that I get for my store comes by UPS Ground, or FED EX ground or DHL ground.
    he said it was an empty bottle...
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

Post Thanks / Like

Admittedly, I did tell them it was empty. That was after they flatly refused to send it when I told them it was a perfume bottle to begin with. You should have heard the grilling I got when I returned to claim my package. It was all "endangering lives...other peoples property...with combustable hazardous material". God, the way the three of them were talking, I thought I was going to end up in Guantanamo. Of course, when questioned why I could receive the same shipment via UPS from online retailers, two of them shrugged and one said that eventually "everyone will get busted and pay the fines" what ever the hell that means. Knowing a losing battle when I am confronted by one, I walked. Thanks for they replies everyone, and Vijay, I will try to call you this weekend!

I could see labeling it as HAZMAT if it were Kouros.... ;D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pepse19
    I could see labeling it as HAZMAT if it were Kouros.... ;D
    You beat me to the punch.
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.