Code of Conduct

Default Joop! Homme - a little appreciation thread

Hello guys.
    No matter what the cost, I would like to praise this scent a bit, mainly because it has pretty much lost it`s reputation among experts. Of course, it still has it`s supporters, but it seems to me that these people are more and more minority here on the B`notes.

I love it. I love Joop! Homme. There, and I`m not even ashamed to say it. And here comes more: I think there`s a possibility that I will never lose this scent out of my Top 10.
    You know, this may sound strange, but to me it`s quite weird that this is such a huge best-seller. I`ve always though it`s quite difficult scent - the mainstream success has took me by suprise. No kidding.

Ok, if this was NOT so popular, I admit I would love it even much much more. Great popularity always bites little bit off that charisma...After all, we want to be unique individuals with characteristic taste...Right? At least to me masses have never be that "right place to be", no matter of the subject.

Anyway, like I said, I really can`t resist Joop! Starting from the bottle, I think it`s just so delicious and appealing. There is something highly intriguing, and I`m afraid I will someday actually bite that bottle and crush my teeth!

The juice is simply put breathtaking to me: In fact, when talking about the actual aroma of the fragrance, there is only two scents which equal the intoxication effect to me: A*Men and Gai Mattiolo Man`s.
    Some people have said that Joop! smells synthetic, and of course it does!! And I absolutely love it!
    There are many scents which hold some sort of "synthetic" nature imo, and which I find very intoxicating. For example: Shalimar (warm rubber), Le Male (plastic), M7 (rubbery amber), Bvlgari Black (rubber), Hypnotic Poison (playdoh), Odeur 53 (nail-polish), Body Kouros (gas), L`anarchiste (metal) etc.

I recently smelled a fresh, long electric cable roll-ball, which had a black rubber coating, and you would NOT believe how much it smelled like Joop! And I really loved that smell, and therefore I made (once more) fool out of my self among some people, because I couldn`t stop myself from sniffin` that cable. (I guess I should be lucky that they didn`t call me some help).

But of course, in Joop! there is life beyond the rubber scent: Thick and sticky amber, bitter almonds, blackberries, sharp and crispy cinnamon, and a bit of a tobacco. Brilliant cocktail, if you ask me.

Anyone there to agree/disagree?

Default Re: Joop! Homme - a little appreciation thread

I have loved the JOOP since the first time I wore it in High School!
    Much love to the Joop and its fans!

Joop Homme is definitely an original. I haven't bought one for a long time, but it's one of those fragrances that you know it when you smell it. Very unique:-)
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

All those comments about gagging on Joop, how bad it really is, how synthetic etc. leave me mystified. Much the same comments are made about Brut.
    While some people clearly don't like strong or sweet or ultra long lasting or original scents , such comments more often reflect some peoples, inability to judge a scent on its merits, rather than inversely to it's popularity.
    Renato

Default Re: Pigeon Murderer - a little appreciation thread

I can't stand it myself, makes me SO self-conscious to wear something like this.Then again, ditto A*men and even more than 2 spritzes of Envy. I know it, I'm a pansy. a wussy little middle-of-the-road inoffensive wimp. But I must say, that I gaze with admiration upon those who have the cajones to pull off something so gawdawful.

Chief among the daring is, of course, Pigeon Murderer. In the outside world, all Basenoters would be considered adventurous, simply by virtue of the fact that we wear different smells on different days, rather than one safe and familiar signatre scent and that's that. But not Pigeon Murderer. Ohhh no. He takes bold fragrance choices to a whole new level. This guy can put all of us to shame when it comes to wearing whatever the hell he wants, propriety be damned. Pigeon Murderer, you are a braver man than I, and my hat goes off to you. It is for this reason that I hearby motion for this thread to be renamed Pigeon Murderer - a little appreciation thread

I don't wear it often--a couple of samples will last a year--and when I wear it, I go extremely light. But I do like it--it's warm, sweet, and masculine. Thumbs up.

I like it too if sprayed lightly. It's Kouros's distant cousin.
    Peace ~ Markymark

It is one of the most unique scents ever made for men and is very close to a middle easter attar. I liked it from the first time I smelled it. Yes its strong and long lasting but so is Eternity that was launched before Joop!

I own a bottle, and wore it a couple times throughout the winter. I either love it or can't imagine why I ever wanted it, and that opinion bounces back and forth on a day to day basis. Although it is still cold where I live, I have taken it out of rotation because my school gym teacher started wearing it excessively. I still like the impression it gives off, but I hate the association of smelling like my gym teacher! I reckon I'll bring it back out after the year is through. Potent and original.

Glad you appreciate the smell of Joop Homme, PM!

I still think Gaultier 2 has a similarity in its candy-like syrupy sweetness found in Joop!, but I think Joop has a better complexity and surprisingly is actually lighter than G2. I think of it as a manlier take on G2.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Bad call on the school gym teacher for wearing Joop. What's up with that... :
    Peace ~ Markymark

In my opinion, this one can cause just as much debate as Kouros. Like Kouros, Joop! is a potent and original juice. Light spritzing is a must, but the rewards are many. A classic.

Regards,
    Steve

Though I do have to admit that Joop! is a classic, I just can't tolerate this scent...and this is from someone whose fave scent is Angel Men. In my opinion, Joop! Homme is actually Eau de Robitussin Cough Syrup, as it has this weird, harsh medicinal note that brings back fond memories of the cold season.

In a nutshell, I can tolerate sweetness in my frags, but I can't tolerate medicinal notes in anything (with the exception of medicine, of course).
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Joop's a great scent. I think 3 sprays should be the max, though. My wife loves it.

Energetic and sexy.

It's a fun scent. The topnotes smell like fruit punch to me. I'd never wear it to a meeting, but then again that's not what it was made for.

Also, is it just me or does anyone else find the drydown similar to Le Male?

Quote Originally Posted by Markymark
    I like it too if sprayed lightly. *It's Kouros's distant cousin.
    I'm afraid I don't quite follow this, I find Joop Homme to be pungent in character (whether sparingly sprayed or not). I'm not sure I can detect any similarity with Kouros whatsoever, but then again I might have missed something, I stand to be corrected...
    Let your nose be your pilot

Joop! Homme is one of my first loves. *My dad bought me a sampler set in high school. *I let it slip from my wardrobe for a few years but dived back into it last year. *

I usually use the shower gel, deodorant, a/s balm, and 1 spritz of EDT. *I only wear it when I know my girlfriend won't be around. *She hates it! *But you can never part with your first love!
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Magnnum, I don't think Koursos and Joop smell alike -- I simply mean they are strong and last all day long and have a very unique scent that you can always pick out of a crowd. * *
    Peace ~ Markymark

Quote Originally Posted by Markymark
    Magnnum, I don't think Koursos and Joop smell alike -- I simply mean they are strong and last all day long and have a very unique scent that you can always pick out of a crowd. * *
    I see, i thought I was missing something, anyway I regard Joop Homme as an extremely rude fragrance, *not my cup of tea in a million years!
    Let your nose be your pilot

I tried this after a long time of hearing it being blasted on the board. Although it is a bit strong, on me it was very much like Body Kouros. Not bad!
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Thank you all for your replys, especially Joel who suggested me to get my own thread. Hey man, I`m deserved that completely!!!

Too bad my hero de Charlus doesn`t dig this one. But then, I can`t see anything special in Habit Rouge like he does. Ah well, that makes us even I guess... :