Code of Conduct

Default Any Small Sprayers Out There?

Looking at the recent topics on how much people spray on and I thought...

Anyone here just apply a small about on themselves? Like, not even spray the bottle, just use the cap to “rub” some on you. Or spray a tiny bit on something and use that juice to dab on yourself?

I can feel that some people around me are becoming offended on how much cologne I wear (I only wear one spray on my chest, but I seem to always give on MAD silage)

So im now using the “Alfie” philosophy (Alfie the movie....with Jude Law) applying a small dab on your collar bones. My interpretation of this philosophy is that, when cologne is noticeable from anyone not right next to you, its too much. The fragrance is no longer the sexual head turner that we all want. No, its now that “what the hell reeks?” scent.

So who’s with me? Less IS more!!!

Default Re: Any Small Sprayers Out There?

There are some fragrances that I can only bear in the smallest quantities.

In this category are A*men, Havana, Opium EDP, CK Obsession, Creed Millesime Imperial and Guerlain L'Instant.

Any less than one or two half-sprays and they are overpowering. I'm lucky that a little seems to go a long way on my skin in terms of longevity.

I, unfortunately, have a skin chemistry that tends to break down even the strongest juice to something only slightly more aromatic than tap water. On my skin, the dab method would be as effective as no spray at all. Having said that, I do try to be aware of my office mates so that I don't make them pass out from the concentrated vapors. A typical spray regimen for me, fragrance depending of course, is 4 sprays.

I am with you!!

I put on 4 sprays MAX and for some, like Bois du Portugal, I use my roll on to put two lines only on my neck. That lasts all day and I still feel like it is too strong. I like to conserve my use for other people's benifit.

I'm not a small sprayer, but my girlfriend is. The beauty magazine brainwashing about how offensive it is when someone can smell your scent has a really strong hold on her. She does 2 timid sprays about a foot and a half away from herself, so she ends up with almost nothing on her. The funny part is that she loves my fragrance hobby and has started buying better scents for herself, and yet she refuses to wear those scents properly. I think that I might finally be getting through to her, but we'll have to wait and see. C'est la vie.

Anyway - if you live somewhere hot and have to go outside often, or spend a lot of time outside/walking/etc.. or do any physical activity, then I can see even a little fragrance going a loooong way. If that is the case, that is a shame because all those conditions kill longevity (sweat now = too much fragrance now + none left for later). If you find yourself in this situation, I still recommend spraying over dabbing, even if it has to be the spray-and-walk-through method.

My comment on the less is more philosophy that has been espoused here on numerous occasions has been consistent - why bother wearing scents?

The guy next to you, wearing Gillette aftershave balm or Brut underarm deodorant will be putting out far more fragance odor than your minuscule effort.

To my mind, it's the olfactory equivalent of trying to speak loudly and authoritatively, but coming up with a quavering squeak.

The proponents of the less is more philosophy never explain the logical consequence -

If less is more, why isn't none even better?

Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    The proponents of the less is more philosophy never explain the logical consequence -

Renato
    Because IMO, I shouldn't smell someone 15ft away. When someone is very close to you, then yes. I guess I like things more natural. And lets face it, if you over due a frag. no matter how good it smells, others are going to have negative feelings towards it

Quote Originally Posted by gator
    [quote author=Renato link=1143637817/0#5 date=1143650530]

Renato
    Because IMO, I shouldn't smell someone 15ft away. When someone is very close to you, then yes. I guess I like things more natural. And lets face it, if you over due a frag. no matter how good it smells, others are going to have negative feelings towards it[/quote]
    Hi again Gator,
    I sprayed one blast of Versace Jeans Couture on my wrist two hours ago. To smell it now, my nose has to just touch my wrist.

Six sprays under clothes isn't detectable from 15 ft away anywhere except in an enclosed, small, non-air conditioned room. In an air conditioned environment (open office/shopping malls/restaurants) it would be detectable from around 3 feet away. In open air, from one to 2 feet away.

The dab that you espouse, after an hour, would only be detectable by literally rubbing one's nose against your chest or neck. If you can get women to routinely do that - I strongly suspect it's not your fragrance, but that you're pheromonically well-endowed. [smiley=cheesy.gif]

My baseline of moderate scent output remains that from scented Gillette aftershave balm (the scents of which are fairly potent, long lasting, fougeres), something that hundreds of thousands of guys routinely wear without there being any question of "reeking". That output is considerably more than that from your dab of scent.
    Renato

in italy i have to say that people doesnt care if others could be offended by the overpowering effluves emanates from their own bodies ,i use to overspray because i have a very dry skin that tends to diminish the perfumes sillage and i hate this ,since i work at hospital i prefer to smell perfumes when im outta work and i dont care if a woman left perfumes waves behind her sometimes i think it could be very sexual

I generally spray enough for me to smell. I don't usually get compliments anyways, so it's all the same to me. If other people can smell me and like it, that's great. If not, I can smell myself and I know I smell good Personally, it doesn't matter to me if I get noticed because of my scent or not, but I don't really want to offend. But in the case that the scent is noticable enough to "offend," it is usually not the generic scents that are everywhere else, so I don't think people would mind as much.

I've gotten much braver with the trigger finger lately. I used to wear very little, maybe 1 spray, or max 2. But now I am at three or four, epecially if it's under my clothes. Now that I think about it, the only times I've gotten compliments were when I thought I was wearing too much. Maybe they were complimenting me in order to nicely tell me to tone it down, but, I'd say probably not, since the one time the two girls were really raving over it. At any rate, I don't want to wear something if no one can smell it - I want to be able to smell it myself, at least a little on my arms. And I wear unique stuff because I think it's unique, so I'd like others to smell it, at least when they get close to me.

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    Now that I think about it, the only times I've gotten compliments were when I thought I was wearing too much. *Maybe they were complimenting me in order to nicely tell me to tone it down, but, I'd say probably not, since the one time the two girls were really raving over it. *At any rate, I don't want to wear something if no one can smell it - I want to be able to smell it myself, at least a little on my arms. *And I wear unique stuff because I think it's unique, so I'd like others to smell it, at least when they get close to me. *
    If the two girls had been critical, you'd have known it - such criticism usually comes from manipulative types who like to see you squirm. When you do encounter such types, you have a variety of responses available, ranging from,
    a. The assertive - I'm sure you think so/ I can understand that you may feel that way.

b. The sarcastic - I can understand that you may feel that way, as most feminists who can't get a man generally feel that way too.

c. The dismissive - Tell someone who cares.

d. The aggressive - Let's see, you've just walked past three women who smell far more strongly than me, but you said nothing to them, instead choosing to pick on my little scent. Go jump in the lake you sexist bitch.

Renato

One should apply fragrance directly to the skin, and prefferably on the chest, because women usually reach with their noses around the chest area of a man, depending on the potency of the fragrance 1 to 4 spritzes should be enough

Funny story that is somewhat related to this thread:

My spray technique really depends on what I'm wearing. When I use something like M7, I go more for the mist walk-through. Light frags get direct, close sprays to the chest and neck.

I was on my hands and knees on my bathroom floor, looking for something under the sink, when I noticed that my floor smelled REALLY good! All those different frags raining down on the linoleum have really enhanced the atmosphere of that room.
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt
    Funny story that is somewhat related to this thread:

My spray technique really depends on what I'm wearing. When I use something like M7, I go more for the mist walk-through. Light frags get direct, close sprays to the chest and neck.

I was on my hands and knees on my bathroom floor, looking for something under the sink, when I noticed that my floor smelled REALLY good! All those different frags raining down on the linoleum have really enhanced the atmosphere of that room.
    Did it smell like Kouros?
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells
    [quote author=greyhueofdoubt link=1143637817/0#14 date=1143751788]Funny story that is somewhat related to this thread:

Did it smell like Kouros?[/quote]

Nope. Actually, the predominant scents were Reaction/GIT/Happy. That's strange, because I very rarely wear Reaction or Happy. Those synthetic melon notes must have some amazing longevity on linoleum.
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]