Code of Conduct

Default Vetiver Colognes !

How are the experience about:

Roger & Gallet " Vetyver" E.d.C.

and

Yardley "Imperial Vetiver" E.d.C.

Any other light Vetiver suggestion? (no Goutal/Gerluain/Etro, please!)

My ten favorites in December (fragrances alphabetical):

Artisan Black John Varvatos
    Coeur de Vétiver Sacré L'Artisan Parfumeur
    Déclaration d'un soir Cartier
    F pour homme Salvatore Ferragamo
    Gomma Etro
    Halston 1 - 12 Halston
    Imperial Vetyver Yardley
    Panama 1924 Boellis
    Soulle Ámbar Floris
    Wellington Cologne George F. Trumper

Default Re: Vetiver Colognes !

Haven't tried those, but you could perhaps also try Comme Des Garçons' Vetiverru

Quote Originally Posted by apekrul
    Haven't tried those, but you could perhaps also try Comme Des Garçons' Vetiverru *

Bon jour! Belgique!

I have to check first in my area the shop´s to find Comme Des Garçons' Vetiverru!

3 weeks ago I got Vetiver by Floris. I'm so disappointed about that, because it's not much top notes of vetiver inside.

Gomma Etro
    Halston 1 - 12 Halston
    Imperial Vetyver Yardley
    Panama 1924 Boellis
    Soulle Ámbar Floris

I like Guerlain's Vetever and Malle's Vetever Extrordinair....

MODIFY:

Opps no Guerlain... Try Malle's. It is good.

The L'occitane version is very nice in my opinion, you should try it

*L'occitane offers Vetiver?

*Must test, but difficult to get here in Germany!

*Thanks fur sugg., eisho!

Gomma Etro
    Halston 1 - 12 Halston
    Imperial Vetyver Yardley
    Panama 1924 Boellis
    Soulle Ámbar Floris

My fave vetivers so far:
    - Lutens Vetyver Oriental (it has grown on me, not literally, but metaphorically; completely unique amongst vetiver fragrances)
    - Creed Vetiver 1948 (not the newer Original Vetiver, which I found to be too soapy for my tastes)
    - Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire (I like this one more every time I wear it)

My fav:

1. Vetiver Extraordinaire - F Malle
    2. Guerlain Vetiver
    3. L'occitane Vetiver
    4. Vetiver Tonka - Hermes
    5. Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver

I HATE ROUTE DE VETIVER - M P GANTIER!!!!!!

If you're looking for a light vetiver scent, try:

FM Vetiver Ex. and Creed Original Vetiver.

Days ago I got Vetiver from Floris by mail.

Very disappointed, about the nothing of vetiver notes in the bottle!!!! :'(

and the same of Creed. I've been in an exclusive creed depot in Frankfurt/Ger.

I take a "noose" of Creed Vetiver....... and thank you, not for me! :'( --- not many parts of Vetiver inside!

So I will try Serge Lutens. Maybe are there satisfaction!

I stop using Guerlain's Vetiver since their change the receipt of vetiver! :-[

Gomma Etro
    Halston 1 - 12 Halston
    Imperial Vetyver Yardley
    Panama 1924 Boellis
    Soulle Ámbar Floris

Quote Originally Posted by Paradeiserl

Days ago I got Vetiver from Floris by mail.

Very disappointed, about the nothing of vetiver notes in the bottle!!!! :'(

and the same of Creed. I've been in an exclusive creed depot in Frankfurt/Ger.

I take a "noose" of Creed Vetiver....... and thank you, not for me! :'( --- not many parts of Vetiver inside!

So I will try Serge Lutens. Maybe are there satisfaction!

I stop using Guerlain's Vetiver since their change the receipt of vetiver! :-[
    FYI, Lutens' Vetyver Oriental is maybe not the best vetiver for someone who loves the smell of vetiver (which, based on your posts, it sounds like maybe you do). The vetiver is well-blended into the mix, it has lots of warmth with vanilla and cocoa notes. It's unique amongst vetivers, but I think it is more a vetiver scent for those of us who don't really love the smell of raw vetiver on its own. You can smell the vetiver, but there is also a lot of other stuff going on.

If you like really raw vetiver, I would suggest trying Villoresi's Vetiver or MPG's Route du Vetiver for the most vetiver scent. They have HUGE amounts of vetiver.

At the next level down in terms of vetiver strength, I would consider L'Artisan's Vetiver and Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire. L'Artisan's strikes me as somewhat similar to Villoresi's in style - raw vetiver with some dusty warmth, which smooths out considerably as it dries.

Vetiver Extraordinaire seems more similar in style to Guerlain and Creed in that it has some citrus to it, but it also has A LOT more vetiver smell than either of those. F. Malle might actually be the best option for you based on your posts.

Carven Vetiver is the definition of light. The problem is that the sprayer is terribly weak and the fragrance is extremely light - there is almost no siliage. It does have decent duration. Not that expensive either. I think I got my 3.4 oz for $7.
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

i think that Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver is the best vetiver ,most near are Creed Vetiver (1948)
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Hi Henri,

I have tried several Vetivers. Malle, Guerlain, Lutens and I am sure many more than I can recall at this time. That being said, so far, the two best IMHO have been LORENZO VILLORESI VETIVER and MPG ROUTE DU VETIVER! Both are excellent but, if I had to choose only one, no doubt about it, for me it would be MPG ROUTE DU VETIVER! OUTSTANDING! Not for the faint of Heart!

Regards,
    SixCats!

Another vote for the wonderful Creed 1948 Vetiver.

[blue]My choices from a recent post:[/blue]

[blue]Generally, I prefer my vetivers integrated into the accord rather than the star of the accord.

Here are some of my favorites in no necessary order of preference:

Carlo Corinto *Vetyver*
    CdG *Vettiveru*
    Guerlain *Vetiver* (the vintage EDC formulation and not the EDT vintage or new version)
    Lanvin Vetyver
    Mazzolari Vetiver

My all-time favorite treatment of vetiver, however, and one of the most successful integrations of vetiver IMO, is *Loewe Pour Homme*. I find I can wear this one anytime, despite my vetiver mood, and it's a fantastic summer scent to boot.[/blue]
    [blue]scentemental[/blue]

My favorite so far is Frederic Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire but I find it a little light

I'm looking into MPG's Route du Vetiver and Annick Goutal's Vetiver. Yes, I know. These are the heavy weights in the vetiver world

Default Re: Vetiver Colognes!!

Hello to all!

Thank you for the suggestion.

My "in use vetivers" at the moment are from

Annick Goutal
    Etro
    Floris
    Lanvin
    Roger & Gallet
    Yardley

My former vetiver bottles are from:

Guerlain (vintage)
    Adolfo Dominguez
    Carven

Who has expirience with Yardley + Roger & Gallet?

Gomma Etro
    Halston 1 - 12 Halston
    Imperial Vetyver Yardley
    Panama 1924 Boellis
    Soulle Ámbar Floris

Creed (1948).....been wearing it for the last 2 weeks!!!!!

Paradieserl & scentemental-

I was surprised to see Lanvin among both you elite collectors' lists, considering that in the directory, it seems to be considered about the weakest, cheapest vetiver out there. But then I thought again, and said "Aaaaah, they must mean the original Lanvin, rather than the rerelease" am I correct in this?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

For mild vetivers, Carven Vetiver is lovely, but if you want to smell real vetiver, then Maître Parfumeur et Gantier*Route du Vetiver is the one and only!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    Paradieserl & scentemental-

I was surprised to see Lanvin among both you elite collectors' lists, considering that in the directory, it seems to be considered about the weakest, cheapest vetiver out there. But then I thought again, and said "Aaaaah, they must mean the original Lanvin, rather than the rerelease" am I correct in this?
    [blue]Joel_Cairo,

My good friend, I'll begin by refusing the mantle of elite collector. I will simply say that my goal is to try as many fragrances as I can and to purchase the ones I like regardless of whether its Vétiver Tonka*, which is what I am wearing today, or "the cheapest vetiver out there" like Lanvin Vetyver, which I also wore very recently.

Let me explain myself this way: If Lanvin Vetyver is the weakest Vetyver available, then is there a vetiver strength which is ideal so that any fragrance that doesn't contain that strength or even a particular rendition of vetiver automatically becomes a pariah to vetiver lovers.

Most vetiver fragrances have, despite their name, used vetiver as a component. In some, it's center stage, in other it's waiting in the wings, sometimes sticking its head out occassionally to look at what's going on on stage, like Lanvin Vetyver.

Some like their Vetiver loud, some like it in a whisper. Lanvin Vetyver is the latter, and it is one of the many loud or whisper-quite vetivers I like.

I think it's a very elegant, accomplished fragrance, with all due respect to the reviewers.

Best regards,

scentemental[/blue]

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental
    [quote author=Joel_Cairo link=1143550838/15#19 date=1143670618]Paradieserl & scentemental-

[blue]Joel_Cairo,

My good friend, I'll begin by refusing the mantle of elite collector. I will simply say that my goal is to try as many fragrances as I can and to purchase the ones I like regardless of whether its Vétiver Tonka*, which is what I am wearing today, or "the cheapest vetiver out there" like Lanvin Vetyver, which I also wore very recently.

Let me explain myself this way: If Lanvin Vetyver is the weakest Vetyver available, then is there a vetiver strength which is ideal so that any fragrance that doesn't contain that strength or even a particular rendition of vetiver automatically becomes a pariah to vetiver lovers.

Most vetiver fragrances have, despite their name, used vetiver as a component. In some, it's center stage, in other it's waiting in the wings, sometimes sticking its head out occassionally to look at what's going on on stage, like Lanvin Vetyver.

Some like their Vetiver loud, some like it in a whisper. Lanvin Vetyver is the latter, and it is one of the many loud or whisper-quite vetivers I like.

I think it's a very elegant, accomplished fragrance, with all due respect to the reviewers.

Best regards,

scentemental[/blue]

[/quote]
    scentemental- I just wanted to add a note that my dubbing you "elite collectors" was not intended to suggest "snobby" or "elitist", as anybody who reads these boards know, you are famous for railing against the pomposity and posturing of Creed et al. By "elite", I meant simply to say that you two know your frags, and have breadth, depth and many rare prizes in your wardrobes, so I figured that if anybody had bottles of the original Vetyver, you'd be likely candidates. I find your attitude really refreshing scentemental- be it an exclusive, rarefied delicacy or discount drugstore junk, you'll give it a go. The mindset of one who is mental about scent indeed.

And since you like your vetivers light, have you tried the new Guerlain Vetiver Sport? Mike from Manhattan, inspired by a thread in which everyone was clamoring for a first-hand review, went out and got it last week, but found it too light for his taste. I think its in hsi swap list
    - P

[blue]Thanks for the very kind words "P". I knew you weren't calling me a "snob" or anything like that. I just wanted to give some background for why I would like a fragrance like Lanvin Vettyver. You, however, clarified my position on fragrances much better than I did, and I thank you for it as I do for the very thoughtful and engaging quality of your posts. I always look forward to reading them. Your question was, indeed, a valid one.

Thanks for the recommendation BTW. No, I haven't tried Guerlain Vetiver Sport, but I will. Does anyone know which retail outlets are carrying it?

One last point about Lanvin Vetyver: I didn't mention that it is one of those fragrances one has to apply in large amounts. I know there are many people who feel they shouldn't have to do such a thing, but that's just the nature of the juice. The perfumer has chosen, in this instance, I think purposefully, to make an understated scent with ingredients that don't project much. Heavy spraying will bring out the reticent vetiver note somewhat, but I don't consider this a negative because I have always accepted that with this one the vetiver will always be in the background. Oh, BTW Lanvin Vetyver makes for a great office scent or when you're in close proximity to other people and don't what to overwhelm them with your fragrance. It's one of my "committee meeting" fragrances.

Thanks for showing interest in my interests "P". As I said above, I appreciate you posts very much.

Best regards,

scentemental[/blue]