Code of Conduct

Default If I like unique scents...which should I buy blind

Hello all. Thanks to everyone who helped me with my first blind buy. I bought L'Anarchiste from a Basenoter and really like it.

So, I am going shopping for another blind buy. I've listed some woodsy/spicy masculine scents that got reviews that piqued my interest. Which should I choose, and what are the differences between these? Here are some guidelines:

1) I don't like "safe" fragrances, so there's no need to vote based on what would be a "safe" blind buy - I like to gamble, especially when the stakes are not that high.

2) Summer is coming up, so please keep that in mind when voting. 8-)

3) As stated, I like special or unique scents - maybe it's an unusual composition, maybe it gets a lot of compliments, maybe it holds a special place in the history of fragrances...

4) No need to write in M7 or M7 Fresh. I've tried both and like them but sadly they just don't last on me... :-/

Default Re: If I like unique scents...which should I buy b

I voted yatagan, haven't really tried most of the others extensively, though. But yatagan is wonderful, it really reminds me of walking along the shoreline in the latter part of summer, reaping off some flowers from the wormwood that grows there and smelling them. How I always have loved that smell. Very bitter but fascinating. If Yatagan is for summer wear? I'm not sure, but I think so! Not sweet and cloying at all.

I would try CdG Synthetic series as well as the Red series.

You wanted unusual, you got unusual!

Also, some of them are quite fresh, good for summer.

But if you really want to push the envelope... Try KC Reaction. WHOA! Settle down, now, not too much! that's a potent, volatile scent right there! Maybe it's a little too dangerous for most people! Don't wear it around open flames, man, because that stuff is HOT!

:-[ Ok maybe I'm just bitter about having that big bottle of reaction taking up space in my wardrobe. A man's wardrobe is only as strong as its weakest link...
    Forget I said anything.
    Nihil Obstat Ben

My Wardrobe

Just to clarify, since it wasn't clear in my original post...I'm looking for the most special or unique or unusual of the one's I've listed - certainly these are not the most unique scents ever, but from what's there, which one would you go with? Thanks!

From your list: Caron Yatagan.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

I just found out about Rive Gauche and I love it. I would hope you do too.

I've only smelt Rochas Lui and Rive Gauche and they don't really smell unique to me. Rochas Lui is another sweet/woody scent with a slight oriental twist. Kind of reminds of the stuff SL offers. Nice smelling but not unique. Rive Gauche, although it smells nice, reminds me too much of the powerhouse scents in the 80's. Xeryus, Azzaro PH, and Brut. It just has this modern update to it.

So if you’re looking for unique, I wouldn't go for those two.

Usually most of the really unique smelling scents seem to be a little too wierd for some people, so I don't know what to recommend.

I also went for Yatagan, which I think would be excellent in the summer. There's a fresh celerynote inside that feels really summery, and since you liked l'Anarchiste, why not continue your adventures in the house of Caron?

Viktor

Arte et labore

Yatagan will give you what you need: Earth notes, pines, animals, smoked woods, vegetables, spices, hot mustard, and a bit of that BO as well.

Lovely stuff.

yatagan again for my vote.......bought it blind as well...and like it alot too...wear it and just tell my wife i been workin my butt off in the yard all day...lol

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Hermès Rocabar is totally awesome! According to OsMoz:

Top note :
    Bergamot, Lemon, Coriander, Artemisia*

Middle note :
    Cardamome, Violet, Orris, Carnation*

Base note :
    Patchouli, Benzoin, Vanilla, Oakmoss.

This is smooth and elegant. Not to be missed!*
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

The cdg line of course and odeur 53 is 1 of em

I voted for Yatagan but one of my very favorites is 3rd Homme so I'm sorry I couldn't vote for it too. Yatagan is the weirder, but in the wonderful ways Yatagan and 3rd Homme each do their different things they're each unique.

Rochas Lui is pretty doggone good juice too. A bit in the pattern of Habit Rouge though.

Very best of luck. I hope you like what you'll get.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I liked yatagan and wanted to vote for it as it is probably the most "different" but my vote went to Jazz because it is still an incredible, powerhouse trendsetter!

Default Re: If I like unique scents...which should I buy blind

TERRE D HERMES nice summer scent..

Christian LaCroix's Tumulte, Rochas Lui, Armani Prive Bois D'encens, Alexander McQueen Kingdom ....

Although it could be a costly mistake if you don't like these, especially the Armani!
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

I see that you have SMN's Nostalgia on your wish list--this is amazing stuff and has got to be tried to be believed--well wirth a blind buy. Leather, petrol, rubber--very dry, go for their Peau d'Espagne or Cuba if you want a richer, sweeter leather.

A lot of peolpe are pushing for Yatagan and it, too is amazing--go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt
    I see that you have SMN's Nostalgia on your wish list--this is amazing stuff and has got to be tried to be believed--well wirth a blind buy. Leather, petrol, rubber--very dry, go for their Peau d'Espagne or Cuba if you want a richer, sweeter leather.
    Nostalgia sounds a lot like Knize Ten
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Nostalgia sounds a lot like Knize Ten
    Yes, but where Knize 10 has some organic notes--citrus, woods, etc.--Nostalgia (which may well also have these notes) comes across as completely mechanical.... in a good way!

what list? I'm confused. it says you have yatagan in your wardrobe already.

I'll double that^, cannot see a list... maybe I'm daft...
    Current Favourites: Touaregh -Il Profumo/ Le Vainqueur- Rue Rance/ Versus Uomo -Versace/ Sculpture -Nikos/ Acier Aluminium - Creed/ Santal Noble - MPG

I see no list either. But I would probably vote for Yatagan, at least out of what others vote for.

Hey everyone, robyogi started this thread approximately a year ago. I'm guessing there was a poll associated with it. Nothing wrong with stirring up an old discussion, but I doubt this is a burning question anymore for the OP!
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE